All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I am British and have a British passport, I am travelling on EoS as a first time cruiser next May and I am having trouble trying to get a straight answer on whether I will be asked to hand my passport over on embarkation :confused: - I definitely don't need a visa for Bermuda I know that much. but I want to be extra careful leaving the USA on the cruise as if its not done properly they don't know I have left and it will be a pain in the you-know-what in the future.

Does anyone have any advice, tips etc??

Thanks in advance :)

we have always been able to keep our passports

2. The itinerary is FL/Bahamas 7 night - it looks like this might be a new-ish itinerary for the ship. Does anyone know when it begins and when I might start begging for Compasses? Would love to know what the activities for 3 sea days look like.

We are going in February, and would love an answer to this too!! :)

Thank you B-52! Bummer, was hoping for a cooler coffee maker, but whatever! It'll be great to brew a fresh cup if we feel like it either way. We had a room near the elevators and moved back a bit for noise reasons - we're in the middle of the hallway now. A little walking isn't bad - we've done an aft stateroom before and that was totally worth the walk.

Can't wait can't wait can't wait!

I've been on the EOS twice before, but I wasn't into working out then. I know they have a fitness center, but does anyone know about their classes? Is there a fee for all the classes or are there some free? Anyone have a schedule of the classes? Thanks in advance.

I know what you mean. People with plates piled high then leave half of it on the plate. What a waste. You can eat all day, why act like that? If people want to be ignorant & cut ahead of me, go ahead. There's plenty of food & plenty of time. I planned on eating breakfast & lunch in the Windjammer & not have to worry about dress codes for the MDR but definitely do dinner in the MDR. We'll see what happens when we get there. Of course I'll have to check with my sister & nieces who will be with me.

On sea days....I would advise going to the MDR for lunch. They have what they call the Tutti Salad Bar, where you pick different ingredients and they chop it up for you and place it in a bowl and then you go to the end of the bar and choose whatever proteins you would like, such as grilled chicken, large size shrimp or prosciutto. There's also about a dozen different entree choices as well.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed here before. I've seen a photo of a hydrotherapy pool in the spa area on EOS. Is this something that is free or is there a fee? Also, do they have anything that is like the Persian Gardens on Celebrity (with the heated tile lounge areas)?

Thank you!!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

The hot tub in the fitness center is free. I love it. It's enormous. And the lockers rooms have a steam room, sauna, large showers and plenty of towels - a nice spacious alternative to your cabin bathroom.

Don't think there is anything like the Persian Gardens on the EX.

MDR is definitely the place to do lunch. If you're in a hurry, they will get you out of there in 30 minutes. Menu is posted daily. Best place to get a "free" burger.

I am British and have a British passport, I am travelling on EoS as a first time cruiser next May and I am having trouble trying to get a straight answer on whether I will be asked to hand my passport over on embarkation :confused: - I definitely don't need a visa for Bermuda I know that much. but I want to be extra careful leaving the USA on the cruise as if its not done properly they don't know I have left and it will be a pain in the you-know-what in the future.

Does anyone have any advice, tips etc??

Thanks in advance :)

I beleive non US citizens surrender them but not 100% sure....US citizens do keep them on cruises leaving from the US.

That said...if you do surrender it you will/should get a receipt...i have asked to get mine stamped, have turned it in and been given a receipt.

That said i do not recall seeing people surrendering them at check in but it may happen. i would copy it and keep that.

Whatever system they use works....and while yes it could be a huge mess...have we read any stories of any cruise line losing a passport? No. And you KNOW you would have...

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

Edited by megr1125

On sea days....I would advise going to the MDR for lunch. They have what they call the Tutti Salad Bar, where you pick different ingredients and they chop it up for you and place it in a bowl and then you go to the end of the bar and choose whatever proteins you would like, such as grilled chicken, large size shrimp or prosciutto. There's also about a dozen different entree choices as well.

Agree 100% - if you want sheer quantity of food hed to Windjammer - otherwise, please check out the MDR. The fresh made to order salads were the best part of any meal for me and I don't really like salad! Plus the entrees were far more interesting and there was always something we loved on the lunch and breakfast menus. As far as the dress code the MDR is very casual (shorts) except for dinner. We saw some in bathing suits but please don't!

Agree 100% - if you want sheer quantity of food hed to Windjammer - otherwise, please check out the MDR. The fresh made to order salads were the best part of any meal for me and I don't really like salad! Plus the entrees were far more interesting and there was always something we loved on the lunch and breakfast menus. As far as the dress code the MDR is very casual (shorts) except for dinner. We saw some in bathing suits but please don't!

Last thing - I don't mean to imply we did not eat VERY well on the ship -there is food everywhere and even in the MDR the waiters will push double entrees so everyone gets plenty to eat. Its just when folks get into the buffet environment the first thing to go is their manners - not 100% sure why. We did do the Windjammer twice for breakfast and I believe once or maybe twice for lunch (one was the very first day). We also did room service breakfast twice and the was very good as well and right on time....

First day get there early - we were around 10:50 and we were on the ship about an hour later. Did a quick tour of all floors which was so helpful later as we had a jump on everyone knowing where everything was; hit the library for first choice of book to read and then headed to the Winjammer for lunch which is the only thing open. Our stateroom was ready and open at 1:30 right after lunch and then our bags showed up about on hour later. It was so stress free and easy that way and you get a few more hours of ship enjoyment!

I beleive non US citizens surrender them but not 100% sure....US citizens do keep them on cruises leaving from the US.

That said...if you do surrender it you will/should get a receipt...i have asked to get mine stamped, have turned it in and been given a receipt.

That said i do not recall seeing people surrendering them at check in but it may happen. i would copy it and keep that.

Whatever system they use works....and while yes it could be a huge mess...have we read any stories of any cruise line losing a passport? No. And you KNOW you would have...

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me as Bermuda is essentially British so they would not pose any problem with immigration.

I am sure the system works as you said, its just I am not used to being parted from it :eek:

I have also renewed my passport this year so am keen to fill it with stamps again like my old one :cool:

I am sure all will become apparent.

Thanks for your reply. :D

Can someone tell me the differences between all the Voyager class ships.

I know some of them are a bit newer and have different features than the older ones(I know the Explorer is one of the older ones). I'm just curious because I've been on Explorer and plan to book a cruise on the Adventure(one that I think is one of the newer ones).

Thanks in advance.

Can someone tell me the differences between all the Voyager class ships.

I know some of them are a bit newer and have different features than the older ones(I know the Explorer is one of the older ones). I'm just curious because I've been on Explorer and plan to book a cruise on the Adventure(one that I think is one of the newer ones).

Thanks in advance.

First generation Voyager class ships: Voyager, Explorer, Adventure

Second generation Voyager class ships: Navigator, Mariner

Check out this link for good info on these ships:

http://voyager-class.com

First generation Voyager class ships: Voyager, Explorer, Adventure

Second generation Voyager class ships: Navigator, Mariner

Check out this link for good info on these ships:

http://voyager-class.com

Ahhh okay that's the break down. Thanks for the link lots of good info, but I can't really tell whats different between the 1st and 2nd generation ships.

Aren't there only like 3 or 4 key differences otherwise everything else is pretty much the same?

Still looking for a hotel that provides parking and shuttle to Cape Liberty. Any suggestions and or where have you stayed.

come over to the East Coast board.....lots of info there....

there really are not any with all things you want....you are often better putting the parts together yourself..

also check my blog...linked below...

Ahhh okay that's the break down. Thanks for the link lots of good info, but I can't really tell whats different between the 1st and 2nd generation ships.

Aren't there only like 3 or 4 key differences otherwise everything else is pretty much the same?

The biggest visible difference is the balcony treatment. The first gen ships have the balconies built into the hull. Floor to ceiling non-removable metal partitions between balconies. Some people call these cave-like. The second gen ships have balconies built outside the hull, and are more translucent. Partitions can be removed, and are open at the top and bottom.

Other differences: sports bar on first gen is replaced with Vintages on second gen. Kiddie pool area on first gen is removed and replaced with expanded teen area on second gen.

Thank you B-52! Bummer, was hoping for a cooler coffee maker, but whatever! It'll be great to brew a fresh cup if we feel like it either way. We had a room near the elevators and moved back a bit for noise reasons - we're in the middle of the hallway now. A little walking isn't bad - we've done an aft stateroom before and that was totally worth the walk.

Can't wait can't wait can't wait!

Besides the coffee maker, the suites also have a tea pot in the room. When we were on a couple of weeks ago, the single cup coffee maker came with a 4 cup coffee pod which obviously didn't seem to fit into the machine. When I asked the room steward(ess) about this, she said "oh just squish it in". Well, let me tell you, it makes for one VERY strong cup of morning java! So, to rectify the situation, I just warmed up about a 1/2 pot of water in the tea pot and added the very strong coffee to it. Voila, the perfect cup of morning joe.

Another tip, bring along a small covered container, or just get a paper coffee cup/ lid in the cafe promenade and fill it with 1/2 and 1/2. Put it in your fridge then you will always have it available for your coffee in the morning. The little drink spout on the disposable lib makes it perfect for pouring too:)

Enjoy the Explorer. It is one of our favorite ships...love the dining room. The food is terrific there. Although, in my opinion, skip Portofino. It was not worth the extra cost on this ship. I have had a superb experience with it on other ships but it was poor here:/

Besides the coffee maker, the suites also have a tea pot in the room. When we were on a couple of weeks ago, the single cup coffee maker came with a 4 cup coffee pod which obviously didn't seem to fit into the machine. When I asked the room steward(ess) about this, she said "oh just squish it in". Well, let me tell you, it makes for one VERY strong cup of morning java! So, to rectify the situation, I just warmed up about a 1/2 pot of water in the tea pot and added the very strong coffee to it. Voila, the perfect cup of morning joe.

Another tip, bring along a small covered container, or just get a paper coffee cup/ lid in the cafe promenade and fill it with 1/2 and 1/2. Put it in your fridge then you will always have it available for your coffee in the morning. The little drink spout on the disposable lib makes it perfect for pouring too:)

Enjoy the Explorer. It is one of our favorite ships...love the dining room. The food is terrific there. Although, in my opinion, skip Portofino. It was not worth the extra cost on this ship. I have had a superb experience with it on other ships but it was poor here:/

You might of just had a bad experience in Portofino's because we've always had a great meal in there on the Explorer as well as on their other ships. We eat at Portofino's at least once or twice every time we're on the Explorer so I wouldn't tell someone to skip it. Like I said, you might of had a bad meal there but it's not normally bad.

Still looking for a hotel that provides parking and shuttle to Cape Liberty. Any suggestions and or where have you stayed.

Come to the East Coast board as Meg suggested. If you're coming from Maryland, you should look at the Hampton Inn or Hilton Gardens on Staten Island. The East Coast board has lots of discussions about these hotels.