HAL CC Group Caribbean Cruise ~ Final Poll

Which cruise works best for you?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise works best for you?

• 10/29/06 or 11/12/06 Westerdam ~ 7-day "Eastern" Caribbean
    • 11/3/06 Volendam 10-day ~ "Southern" Caribbean
    • 11/5/06 Westerdam ~ 7-day "Western" Caribbean

You will know almost as soon as we do Heather.

I hope so!

Cheers

MarkB

That's fabulous! Didn't even have you down as a "maybe"!!! I do now:D . Keep your eyes open for updates and info!

I had hoped to have the quote today, Everyone, but I never did hear from LauraS. If I hear from her tomorrow, I'll probably be able to get to you, but otherwise it won't be until next week because I won't be online all weekend.

Alert! Alert! Alert!

KK just posted on another thread that the International Boat Show begins 10/27/2006 in Fort Lauderdale. So all who will need hotel rooms there must keep this in mind and reserve those at the earliest possible time!

Heather, do you think we could get a group rate at a Hotel if we could guarantee them a certain number of people? Maybe they would provide a room for us where we could all meet for breakfast.

I have no idea how that would work.

I like your idea of "Costumes Ma "Dam" instead of the other way around. :)

Is it possible to do a poll on this thread asking how many would like one of the following: Nautical Theme No Theme Another Theme idea (and mention their idea in a post)? or would it have to be a separate thread?

Also maybe another poll: Those who are interested in Creating a Costume or just simply taking the theme and accentuating it in some non-costume way.

We would probably need 3 people who are not going to compete for costume prizes to be on the prize committee. This would consist of picking a prize/prizes, deciding how many, ie: Most Creative, Funniest, Best theme related, etc

Thats enough for now!

Thanks, Rita (not rita blue skies) :D

Heather, do you think we could get a group rate at a Hotel if we could guarantee them a certain number of people? Maybe they would provide a room for us where we could all meet for breakfast.

I have no idea how that would work.

I like your idea of "Costumes Ma "Dam" instead of the other way around. :)

Is it possible to do a poll on this thread asking how many would like one of the following: Nautical Theme No Theme Another Theme idea (and mention their idea in a post)? or would it have to be a separate thread?

Also maybe another poll: Those who are interested in Creating a Costume or just simply taking the theme and accentuating it in some non-costume way.

We would probably need 3 people who are not going to compete for costume prizes to be on the prize committee. This would consist of picking a prize/prizes, deciding how many, ie: Most Creative, Funniest, Best theme related, etc

Thats enough for now!

Thanks, Rita (not rita blue skies) :D

Brian is our Hotel guy. We have to come up with a title for Brian. Brian, think of something. So we have:

Cabana Girl: Ziggy

Costume Ma"Dam": Renorita

Hotel Guy: Brian

No, don't start another thread:eek: . Keep everything on this thread for now because it will only get confusing. Once we know our path, we can go from there with different subjects.

Make some notes (for now) on your own about your ideas regarding costumes. I think all your ideas are great and you can toss some of them to us just for fun, but we're getting just a little ahead of ourselves if we start getting into details quite this early. Sound good to you?

I think there was already a resounding "fabulous" on your Nautical theme idea.

First we have to get rates, decide if we're happy with the CC TA rates, etc., and go from there.

Ok, sounds good Heather!

Getting into the "Dam" thing.

Ziggy-"Dam" Cabana Girl

Brian- "Dam" Hotel Guy

If you don't like it, well "Dam!" its okay! :D

Rita

Personally I think when you overdo anything, the original humor gets lost. Just a personal opinion:D . I love the "Costume Ma"Dam"" because it's a really clever title.

But let's stick with "Cabana Girl" which fits Ziggy so well and Brian can come up with his title. So Brian, let's see your creativity at work, okay?

Excellent, Tyman ... !!!:D

UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE

The reason for the delay in our quote was due to a tiny glitch that LauraS needed to talk to me about. We spoke this morning and I'll have something definite from her later today. I'm very busy going into the weekend so we can probably review all this next week.

I can tell you that she gave me a couple of rates quoted to her so I'd have an idea and they are quite competitive with quotes I've been getting. Don't forget, too, that when we book a Group Cruise like this there are many little added benefits that HAL tacks on. Laura was quite impressed with the ones offered by HAL.

Excellent, Tyman ... !!!:D

UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE

The reason for the delay in our quote was due to a tiny glitch that LauraS needed to talk to me about. We spoke this morning and I'll have something definite from her later today. I'm very busy going into the weekend so we can probably review all this next week.

I can tell you that she gave me a couple of rates quoted to her so I'd have an idea and they are quite competitive with quotes I've been getting. Don't forget, too, that when we book a Group Cruise like this there are many little added benefits that HAL tacks on. Laura was quite impressed with the ones offered by HAL.

Take the weekend off Heather and enjoy your holiday! We have lots of time to work on this cruise! Your the best! I for one really appreciate all you have done for us, I know its alot of work!

Happy Easter Everyone!

Take the weekend off Heather and enjoy your holiday! We have lots of time to work on this cruise!

I agree. You're working way too hard on this.

Take some time off, Heather, and enjoy your Easter. You deserve it!

Blue skies ...

--rita

You're not kidding! HAL is one of the most generous with those little "bennies."

I probably shouldn't say this, but my TA does several large group bookings each year with HAL. As such, he gets certain "considerations" for his clients. When I booked my 2006 Hawaii/South Pacific cruise, I wound up with some group-type bennies even though I am not part of the group he is putting together for a May group Alaska cruise. Basically, though, he worked it out that I was considered part of that big group. I don't know how this works ... all I know is that I'm getting some nice bennies, including a couple of Pinnacle reservations, onboard credit and a few other things.

I never got any of those things with Princess, though. But then, again, I never paid for any Princess cruise what I am paying for this HAL 30-dayer. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Heather,

Just chiming in with everyone else ... enjoy the weekend.

It is going to be in the high 80s, low 90s! Yay!

Thanks for all you do. Even though I have yet to have a title bestowed on me, I am very excited about this cruise. I'm just trying to figure out what committee I want to join!

Hehehe. Oh, I think sometimes titles are not something we really want bestowed upon us;) ;) . I have a few for some people on these boards ... no one here:) !!!

Yes, Rita. I didn't take any notes but Laura was talking about wine, Pinnacle dinners and a cocktail party with hot and cold appetizers. Mostly it was about wine which is wasted on me because I don't drink, but it sure sounded like a lot!!! We'll see when I get specifics.

I can't believe how hot and humid it is down here this weekend! I'm so sad because I wanted to throw open the doors and windows and enjoy the whole outdoors all weekend. Sadly, we're closed up with the A/C on. Could be worse ... could be a hurricane!!!:eek:

Thank you, all, for your very nice comments ... I really appreciate it.

Hi Heather, and everyone else. Well I just spent an hour reading this complete thread. Posted on the other one, but have not had time to read and post on this one. We would really love to do this cruise. Can you put us down for a maybe? Have not mentioned it to DH, and we were thinking of a cruise from the west coast next year, but this sounds like sooo much fun. We would probably want a veranda, but have to check out the deck plans. I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter, it's cold here in NC, wishing we were cruising now!

Hi Heather, and everyone else. Well I just spent an hour reading this complete thread. Posted on the other one, but have not had time to read and post on this one. We would really love to do this cruise. Can you put us down for a maybe? Have not mentioned it to DH, and we were thinking of a cruise from the west coast next year, but this sounds like sooo much fun. We would probably want a veranda, but have to check out the deck plans. I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter, it's cold here in NC, wishing we were cruising now!

Hi Jane, Welcome Aboard !!!! :)

Can you guys help me out?

As you may know, Lane (the DH) and I are working on preparing a web site for this cruise. So many things are still up in the air, but we are trying to work with what we have.

We'll be going to Paris for a week on April 15 but I would like to have the introduction and a few sections on-line by that time.

So, to start. The ship will be stopping at four ports. I've never been to any of them. Can I solicit requests for short write-ups or photos—otherwise, we'll just use HAL's descriptions from their web site.

I'm interested in having a page of photos and bios of our fellow cruisers. Any that we get, we will include. And only what you send to me at the below e-mail address will be used for this purpose. There will be no public display of your private information unless you specifically provide it to me. Also, there really is no "window of opportunity" for this; we plan on designing the page so that it can easily be amended. I just want to get started.

One more thing. If you have volunteered for a position or somehow found yourself volunteered, I'd like to include that.

Ooops. One more thing, again. If we have any other aspiring authors or photographers out there, please let us know.

susan.

Another question from me. I'm sure that some of you have been on the Westerdam before and can help with cabin selection tips.

I spent yesterday poring over my HAL brochure looking at the deck plan, but I'm still a bit confused. We are not penthouse suite people; we are not suite people; we are not even verandah people. Depending on a number of things, we will be chosing between a outside or inside stateroom. What I've been trying to determine is if any of the passenger-room decks have access to the outside. It looks like the Upper Promenade does, and it does seem logical that people would have access to the life boats, but I really wasn't sure.

Can anyone help? If not, I'll post my question on the general HAL forum. Thanks, Susan.

Another question from me. I'm sure that some of you have been on the Westerdam before and can help with cabin selection tips.

I spent yesterday poring over my HAL brochure looking at the deck plan, but I'm still a bit confused. We are not penthouse suite people; we are not suite people; we are not even verandah people. Depending on a number of things, we will be chosing between a outside or inside stateroom. What I've been trying to determine is if any of the passenger-room decks have access to the outside. It looks like the Upper Promenade does, and it does seem logical that people would have access to the life boats, but I really wasn't sure.

Can anyone help? If not, I'll post my question on the general HAL forum. Thanks, Susan.

Susan--

The Vista-Class ship's only open public deck spaces on the passenger accommodation decks are the viewing areas at the forward end of Rotterdam, Upper Verandah and Verandah Decks overlooking the bow - and the only staterooms on those decks which do not have verandahs are inside staterooms.

Upper Promenade does have many view-obscured or partial view outside staterooms, but the only public outdoor space on that deck would be the bow which I understand isn't always open for viewing.

Brian, Could you tell from my post that I'm a smoker who needs to sneak outside, quickly? We both hate smoky rooms and it seems to work out best that way. susan.

Susan, you sound like the perfect candidate for a verandah stateroom!

Maybe a category VF on Upper Promenade Deck forward would fit your needs for economy and outdoor space? They have steel railings on slightly smaller balconies....

My goodness! Go away for a couple of hours and people are posting like crazy!!!:D

Susan, I agree with Brian ... go for the Verandah. DH smokes a pipe and NEVER inside so he uses the verandah and loves it. I think if you go for a VD, VE or VF it would be perfect depending on how much you want to spend.

Jane, welcome aboard!! I have you down as a definite maybe. Doesn't that sound better than just a "maybe"? Same thing ... just sounds better.:) It would be great if you could email me at HeathersIsland@aol.com so I have your email address.

Still hoping Marie (ExaltHim) and StanfordsGirl will email me, too. I think I have everyone else's email addresses.

Brian, or anyone in the know. I checked a site online that I usually look at to get an idea of prices and category's, but got a little confused. Know we booked the lowest veranda on the Maasdam, but what category would be the least expensive veranda on the Westerdam? Thanks everyone, we are certainly newbies to HAL but not to cruising. I am so looking forward to our November cruise and hopefully a few more in '06, espcially a Haloween cruise!

Hi there! We are late to the game, but I recognize some familiar names in here--from our last Oosterdam cruise (in October 2004) and our now "famously" cancelled Oosterdam cruise (due to the lesbian charter) for October 2005. We sadly cancelled, but substituted a Carnival cruise on their newest ship in late November because they had some smoking (DH's word) deals for the military (DH is an Army reservist).

Anyway, I digress. Please count us in for this cruise. Sounds like a fun group and we are always up for fun on a HAL ship. We also like the idea of saving a bit of money going with a Cruise Critic group (we are doing it this summer in Alaska). What information do you need from us Heather? I will e-mail you with some basic particulars.

Thanks,

Lisa (and Brooke--DH)

Hi to our new passengers on this great cruise. Right now, I am the Group Leader for our group and hopefully it continues that way unless I lose my mind along the way:D . Anyone interested in this cruise please email me at HeathersIsland@aol.com so I can be sure to keep you up to date even when you might miss a post.

Jane, I believe the VF is the lowest Verandah cabin on the Vista Ships. It used to be called BC and there are very few of them (see Brian's post above about them). You can also look at them on the deck plan at the HAL site. The next level up from there would be the VE.

Lisa and Brooke, we're so glad you want to join us! We're hoping to have a really great group on this cruise. So far everyone is really excited and it promises to be terrific.

By next week I should have the quote from LauraS. I spoke with her today and she's just finalizing a few things for us.

Archived