90th PLACE = NCL PEARL

ShipShape4me

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberpoll_all.cfm?rating=Overall&sort=Highest

Wow.... Take a look for yourself. The highest ranked ship in the NCL fleet was postion 90! What gives? How did this happen? I guess a lot of of the Cruise Critic reviewers favor 89 ships over any NCL ship. Anyone have any idea why NCL ranked so low????? :eek:

This is a poll through the UK site and I think quite simply that NCL is not a big UK brand. Many of the top rates boats are river cruisers or ships from smaller lines - I guess this suggests that the minimum number of votes required was quite small.

There are some very strange results here with some very popular ships near the bottom of the list e.g. Cunards highly rated Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth are both rated well below the majority of the NCL fleet as are P&O's Azura and Ventura. Perhaps it is due to them being relatively new builds and therefore not had long enough to accumulate a weight of good reviews as early reviews can be mixed. I suggest that you take these results with a pinch of salt and exercise your own judgement.

This is a poll through the UK site and I think quite simply that NCL is not a big UK brand. Many of the top rates boats are river cruisers or ships from smaller lines - I guess this suggests that the minimum number of votes required was quite small.

There are some very strange results here with some very popular ships near the bottom of the list e.g. Cunards highly rated Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth are both rated well below the majority of the NCL fleet as are P&O's Azura and Ventura. Perhaps it is due to them being relatively new builds and therefore not had long enough to accumulate a weight of good reviews as early reviews can be mixed. I suggest that you take these results with a pinch of salt and exercise your own judgement.

This poll is part UK and Part Global' date=' not just UK. Following are some more details about the [/u']poll:

Cruise Critic Cruisers' Choice Awards 2011

Rankings are based on ratings given by our members in published member reviews; awards are based on 2010 cruise reviews submitted by January 31, 2011.

Ships must have a minimum number of member reviews and ratings in a particular category in order to be included in that category's top 10 list. Minimums are as follows:

Large ships

Global (20); U.K. (20)

Mid-size ships

Global (20); U.K. (5)

Small ships

Global (5); U.K. (5)

Family & Children (no ship size)

Global (20); U.K. (5)

Ratings shown have been rounded to the first decimal place, although they are calculated to the 8th decimal place and ordered as such; in the unlikely event of an exact tie, tied ships will instead order by the highest number of records entered, then alphabetically.

I'm booked on the Pearl for 7/31 and I could care less if it's #1, or #89! For the 7 days I'm on it it will be #1 and then some! My first experience with NCL was 6 years ago on the Spirit and on our arrival found everything to be wonderful (honeymoon how could it not be!) but low and behold we never got our luggage delivered..why..it never made it to the ship..Was I mad...heaven' no I was in Alaska and my bags were being flown to our first and second ports to meet us! NCL compensated us in a manner I think went above and beyond what they had to do.

NCL has always been our first choice when talking of booking our next cruise and that is what we went with when the time came to book Alaska again. We know for sure our next cruise will be with them, the one after may not just because of the destination we have in mind.

No matter what ship or what cruise line it will only be as positive an experience as you make it! Who cares what people say about the food, it beats my options at home! Service slow....I didn't have to cook it and that's more time to visit with other cruisers or stare at my DH! I still have the ability for room service and bed turn down...only people at home that could do that are the cats and it just isn't the same!

So NCL you're #1 with me!

Wonder where it`s hot dogs rank!

Good point PE! - has that person ever even cruise on NCl - let alone the Pearl - if he doesn`t like NCL, doesn`t like the Pearl don`t sail on it - it`s a great ship

Cheers

Dennis

This is one of those things that matters only to those for whom it matters and it doesn't matter to me;).

I'm with you. Out of the 3 lines I've cruised, NCL is tops with me. Tops enough that I feel no desire to go elsewhere. If that changes, I will, but so far so great for me!

They never polled me. I'm on this site every day. They didn't ask.

I happen to think NCL's great, but have never been on the Pearl. Hope to sail her someday, though.

As someone else pointed out, there are some very nice ships on some very good cruise lines that rated low. That tells me that either the poll is somehow flawed, or that those they polled were not representative.

Either way, something's wrong.

Wow I didnt know NCL ranked so low especially the POA.

Ive been on most of those Carnival ships and am surprised about these ratings. I like Carnival and the Miracle is my favorite so they got that right but some of the ships???????

I will still go on the POA and form my own opinion of NCL.

How bad can it be. Ill be on a cruise going around Haweaii drinking Mai Tai's.

We loved the Pearl, our family of 4 had the best trip ever! The staff, the entertainment, the ports, our room, the kids cubs, and even the food were excellent!

I priced out a balcony on Oasis of the Seas just for fun, as it was rated number 1, it would be double the price for our family to cruise on it compared to NCL. I personally would rather go on 2 cruises!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberpoll_all.cfm?rating=Overall&sort=Highest

Wow.... Take a look for yourself. The highest ranked ship in the NCL fleet was postion 90! What gives? How did this happen? I guess a lot of of the Cruise Critic reviewers favor 89 ships over any NCL ship. Anyone have any idea why NCL ranked so low????? :eek:

You need to consider several things: 1-these are viewer polls and they are never even close to scientific. I know, I usually vote in these types but for some reason never even saw the poll this time. Look at some of the higher ranking ships: they are ones that constantly get crappy reviews. Can we say, fixed? I don't mean CC fixed it, they did not, it is just the number of people from various cruise lines voting. I take all these polls with a grain of salt, they are fun to watch and it does give bragging rights to the top winners. But like the surveys or studies that tell you what are the best cities to live in or what states have the happiest people? These change weekly and so would this poll if taken weekly.

2-look at the top vote getters, you are talking luxury and upscale lines which no one can claim NCL is in anyway.

3-check the individual catagories; Pearl as well as other NCL ships did very well in some cases.

4-the difference between the top and the bottom is not all that great. From number 1 to number 100 was only a 1 point or thumbs up, whatever.

Nita

thanks for pointing that out: I didn't see that part of it. YOu are probably right.

Please see posting #3 for additional clarification. The poll was not limited to the UK and he was incorrect.

I don't know where you got your "information for post #3. But, at the bottom of the rankings page is "redcarat.gif Curious about how the ratings are tallied? See our explanation page. " which contains:

Cruise Critic Cruisers' Choice Poll

• Rankings are based on ratings given by our members in published member reviews.
  • Ships must have a minimum number (10) of member reviews and ratings in a particular category in order to be included in that category's top 10 list.
  • Ratings shown have been rounded to the first decimal place, although they are calculated to the 8th decimal place and ordered as such; in the unlikely event of an exact tie, tied ships will instead order by the highest number of records entered, then alphabetically.

which makes the rankings even less credible in my mind.

PE

I don't know where you got your "information for post #3. But' date=' at the bottom of the rankings page is "[img']http://www.cruisecritic.com/images/redcarat.gif[/img] Curious about how the ratings are tallied? See our explanation page. " which contains:

Cruise Critic Cruisers' Choice Poll

• Rankings are based on ratings given by our members in published member reviews.
  • Ships must have a minimum number (10) of member reviews and ratings in a particular category in order to be included in that category's top 10 list.
  • Ratings shown have been rounded to the first decimal place, although they are calculated to the 8th decimal place and ordered as such; in the unlikely event of an exact tie, tied ships will instead order by the highest number of records entered, then alphabetically.

which makes the rankings even less credible in my mind.

PE

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?src=tocc

on the very bottom of the link above, I clicked on the "Explanations Page" and copied and pasted the informaton on post #3.

Let's not shoot the messenger!.... Just sharing what Cruise Critic Members have shared. An attempt at mature comnents would be greatly appreciated.

WHO cares anyway, ALOT of us LOVE NCL and are frequent cruisers of the cruiseline and we go on our OWN experiences and not by some POLL.

i have been on 9 cruises...4 different NCL ships and THOSE cruises were all BETTER than the previous 3 on different lines and i dont care which ships are ranked where--what matters is where I rank them!!

havent been on the #90th ranked PEARL but i HOPE to one day soon!!

Most of the NCL ships got a 4.0 to 4.3 rating, the leaders in the reviews got a 4.6 to 4.8 rating. We're not talking about a big difference. If a 5.0 is like a 100%, a 4.6 would be a 92% and a 4.0 would be a 80% (would still qualify for the honor roll).

The fact is that there are alot of cruiselines offering very similar itineraries at varying price points. NCL seems to offer a more affordable product and with that, they may not be as polished as some of their competitors.

Furthermore, NCL's market share is much smaller than that of the other mass market lines (CCL, RCL and their subsidiaries) so you would think that there would be fewer reviews per ship, so, one very bad review would have more impact on your average.

My cruising experience is somewhat limited (trying to make up for that) but I would say that my one experiece with Freestyle crusing on the NCL Spirit was sort of a mixed bag. I liked some aspects and didn't care for others. We will sail on NCL again but the itineray would have to be unique or the price would have to be much better than the competitors.

Here is why you have to take these "rankings" with a grain of salt.

I have been on the NCL Spirit 3 times this year so I have a pretty good idea of what is going on there. I didn't bother to count but I am assuming the ships "ranking" is below 90.

A quick check of the reviews shows that 12 of the last 16 reviews gave the cruise 5 ribbons.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=299

In the middle of all those there is this review,

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=83595

What does the first line of the review say,

Carnival has my vote. Not Norweigan

I will start by saying that on Carnival, the food was great, the size of the room was comfortable, the beds were great. All customers were treated great. The crew "knew" you by the time you were ready to go home. We made great friends on our cruise on Carnival. Norweigan not so. I had NO complaints about our Carnival cruise and after returning home yesterday, I sent them an email letting them know how much I appreciated everything they do.

Lets face it, some lines are filled with die hard fans. Some are pretty easy to spot. If you want to put value in "ratings" skewed by such people then knock your self out.

If you don't like NCL, don't cruise on their ships. Simple enough. Why do you insist on coming here and trying to get everyone stirred up? Get a life!

Its funny how people can have different reactions to the same stimuli. When I saw the original post, I never thought the intent was to stir things up, or reflected the that poster disliked NCL. I thought he was reflecting some surprise at the rating, and was inquiring why people thought the rating was so low. Frankly, I enjoy reading all perspectives/reviews on the ships posted here (and for the other lines). I think that I learn just as much from the bad reviews as the good ones. I have never sailed on NCL before--our first cruise is the week before Christmas on the Epic, so I can't really add any personal perspective to whether NCL is great or it sucks (I am hoping for the former!). My own observations about NCLs reviews are how inconsistent they are--some people seem to love everything about the line; others take exception with the ships, ammenities, dining, etc. Having said that, I often think a lot of the negative revews often reflect "unreasonable" expectations on the part of the reviewers. Expectations of 5 star dining, always finding a chair poolside at 11AM on a sea day, being able to move cabins on a full ship because of some noise, never having to wait in line to disembark the ship on a tender, etc---all pretty silly complaints if you are sailing a main stream line. I have sialed Princess and Disney---I am looking forward to seeing what NCL offers. If it sucks (which I kind of doubt), I will never sail again; my guess is it will be like Princess---has a lot that I like, and some things that I wish were different.

Its funny how people can have different reactions to the same stimuli. When I saw the original post, I never thought the intent was to stir things up, or reflected the that poster disliked NCL. I thought he was reflecting some surprise at the rating, and was inquiring why people thought the rating was so low. Frankly, I enjoy reading all perspectives/reviews on the ships posted here (and for the other lines). I think that I learn just as much from the bad reviews as the good ones. I have never sailed on NCL before--our first cruise is the week before Christmas on the Epic, so I can't really add any personal perspective to whether NCL is great or it sucks (I am hoping for the former!). My own observations about NCLs reviews are how inconsistent they are--some people seem to love everything about the line; others take exception with the ships, ammenities, dining, etc. Having said that, I often think a lot of the negative revews often reflect "unreasonable" expectations on the part of the reviewers. Expectations of 5 star dining, always finding a chair poolside at 11AM on a sea day, being able to move cabins on a full ship because of some noise, never having to wait in line to disembark the ship on a tender, etc---all pretty silly complaints if you are sailing a main stream line. I have sialed Princess and Disney---I am looking forward to seeing what NCL offers. If it sucks (which I kind of doubt), I will never sail again; my guess is it will be like Princess---has a lot that I like, and some things that I wish were different.

Very well stated! I hope you come back and let us know what you like like about NCL after your first sailing.

Most of the NCL ships got a 4.0 to 4.3 rating, the leaders in the reviews got a 4.6 to 4.8 rating. We're not talking about a big difference. If a 5.0 is like a 100%, a 4.6 would be a 92% and a 4.0 would be a 80% (would still qualify for the honor roll).

The fact is that there are alot of cruiselines offering very similar itineraries at varying price points. NCL seems to offer a more affordable product and with that, they may not be as polished as some of their competitors.

Furthermore, NCL's market share is much smaller than that of the other mass market lines (CCL, RCL and their subsidiaries) so you would think that there would be fewer reviews per ship, so, one very bad review would have more impact on your average.

My cruising experience is somewhat limited (trying to make up for that) but I would say that my one experiece with Freestyle crusing on the NCL Spirit was sort of a mixed bag. I liked some aspects and didn't care for others. We will sail on NCL again but the itineray would have to be unique or the price would have to be much better than the competitors.

overall you have the right attitude. I was saying some of the same: 4.3: 4.8, who cares? They are all within the same general range.

As for liking freestyle or not, this is a personal thing. For us, the disadvantages to freestyle are off set by the advantages. Yes, the service isn't always what you get from a wait staff that is with you the entire cruise, but the flexibility makes up for this.

We normally cruise NCL though we have cruised all mass marketed lines. For us, itinerary is usually number 1 and price next. NCL generally offers more ports than other mass marketed lines. If all is equal or close we choose NCL, if we can get a better itinerary or a better price we opt for another line.

Nita

Archived