I am a Riviera snob. I'll admit it.

dawnrae

I prefer the Riviera Deck. Agree with first OP. We choose the same rooms every time. Ocean view Midship right next to the elevators. Never had a problem with noise being so close to the elevators. No walking down the halls. No long lines waiting for the elevator. Quick ride up the elevators to wherever we want to go. Since our rooms are close to the elevators it's no big deal to pop down to our rooms should we forget something.

Do we do it for the price? No. But it's nice to pay so little and be happy too. We think about getting a balcony sometimes, but I'm afraid we'll end up spending too much time in our room/balcony. I love looking out the window. But if I want to feel the breeze I just go up and sit outside and enjoy the view of the ocean and the view and excitement on the ship.

Sorry, another vote for balconies. :D

Hiya Fintoo!!

Lowest deck = less rocking. Not a big deal for most, but for those who are prone to seasickness, it's a REALLY big deal.

Most of our cruises have been on Riviera and while we do enjoy a balcony, we like the Riviera for all the OP's reasons as well as the stabilty.

If we all liked the same things, life would be very boring! Happy sailing to all!

Sorry, another vote for balconies. :D

Hiya Fintoo!!

:cool: hello my friend! typing small so as not to be accused of hijacking. Hope you are doing well!

Would rather sail once a year with a balcony then be in an inside cabin and sail 2 times a year. So I guess I am a balcony snob big time. Did the inside 1 time on a 5 day cruise, never again.

Last 3 cruises:

Aug 2010 - inside on Main

Dec 2010 - Balcony on Upper

Mar 2011 - OV on Riviera

If it came down to staying in an inside vs staying home, there is no way I'd be staying home. The room is just a room to us. I can enjoy a balcony if I have one. If not, I can find a quiet deck somewhere. To each their own. :D

Iv done this (twice) .. chosen a high deck, mid deck inside cabin for convenience, when for the same money I could have seen out on either riviera or main.

We lean toward convenience these days, though now that Im not cruising with my sister, Id probably pick the cabin I could see out.

I'm with you on this one. I would take an interior on a higher deck vs an ocean view on Riviera. We stayed Riviera once....and while it was still fun to be on the cruise, it was much louder.

On the Dream? No thank you to Riviera. That's a long way up to Lido! I think 7 or 8 is perfect on the Dream. Just my opinion and preference! :)

Just booked a family cruise and was so excited that I was able to get our six cabins on the Riviera Deck. Am I becoming a Riviera snob? Just love the location, ease of getting on a elevator (never too full) and ease on the pocketbook. Easy to disembark for excursions too. Yes, I have done the balconys so I do know what I am missing but I always seem to return to my favorite deck. Anyone else willing to admit that they are a Riviera snob?

Dawnrae

We leave on our first cruise tomorrow, and have adjoining Riviera Deluxe Ocean View Rooms. I have heard about "easy disembarkment" somewhere else to.....why is this? Is it just a deck above or something? Trying to get as much info as possible!.....thank you;)

My name is Cyndi and I am a Balcony snob!!

We are another family of balcony snobs! Love getting up early in the morning and sitting out on the balcony. Not to mention late at night listening to the water, watching the ships pass in the distance, and just enjoying some quiet time with the family!

We leave on our first cruise tomorrow, and have adjoining Riviera Deluxe Ocean View Rooms. I have heard about "easy disembarkment" somewhere else to.....why is this? Is it just a deck above or something? Trying to get as much info as possible!.....thank you;)

In the ports, they usually get off at the crew level. other than that not handy as the usual deck to board and disembark is not deck 0. (or whatever the crew deck is on your ship).

You usually board on the same deck with the pursers desk.

Its like saying I prefer Carnival because it costs, less, well duh, so people prefer Riviera because it costs the least. To me having that many cabins all on the same deck, chances are you are more apt to have at least one noisy neighbor.

I dont buy the argument people would still choose the bottom deck if prices were the same for all the decks. Nonsense. A few might, but the majority are going to pick a more convenient location, lets be honest. Its only about the price for most who choose this deck.

I should have qualified my answer that I am a MAIN SNOB...on the Destiny or larger....when it comes to the Fantasy class ships...I only stay on Empress...for the easiest debarkation.....

When I first read the title of the thread, I thought you meant Riviera, like Nice, or the Mexican Riviera, like Mazatlan, or the redneck Riviera like Panama City FL, and then once I actually went on and read it, well I get it. We've done balcony, we lost money in the market, we cruise Riviera, and I can hear the ocean, eat the same food, and get a view from a porthole, and it's the same view from a balcony, I just don't have to go brush my hair again after I see it. Cruise happy, and if the Riviera makes us happy, then so be it. I can hear the ocean from my cabin LOL. oh, and when we pull into port, I dont'have to do anything but walk down one flight of stairs to get where I am going.:D

I can hear the ocean from my cabin LOL. oh, and when we pull into port, I dont'have to do anything but walk down one flight of stairs to get where I am going.:D

How can you hear the ocean thru a closed window or from a inside cabin? You mean if the waves up front hit the hull??

Im fine with whatever deck .. but I dont get that people would pick it other than for the $$$ savings... as you said lost money in the market (me too), and Im financially conservative anyway.

True, finances are a big reason that I am a Riviera Deck snob. I am the grandma taking 12 family members, kids and spouses and grandkids with me. I usually book balcony when it is just DH and me. Still, I am very fond of the Riviera Deck and have spent most of my cruises there. Nice to know there are a few other snobs out there too.

Dawnrae

I do not consider myself a snob, but I do prefer Suites on Empress.

snob
/snäb/Noun

1. A person with an exaggerated respect for high social position who dislikes people or activities regarded as lower-class.

2. A person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people: "a wine snob"

My name is Debbie and I am a Cruise Snob. Have had the balcony life but love my inside cabin. Don't care what floor just put me on a ship.

My name is Debbie as well. And I am with you--- I will be happy as long as I am on a ship! I have had th OV and blacony and this time the girls and I will be on the Riveria deck. :D

Archived