Doing away with daily news sheet??

Joecors

Have read that Celebrity intends to no longer produce daily news sheets allowing passengers instead to download newspapers on to an iPad. Charge for this to be $10 per cruise to use the service.

Has anyone yet experienced this change; if so perhaps they would kindly elaborate on how this works?

In addition we have a cruise booked on the Constellation (it's a while since we cruised on the M-ships) andI recall when recently cruising on the Eclipse seeing a computer room which sold Apple products. Does this now apply to the M-ships?

That's a terrible idea. I think they would have a lot of angry passengers if they tried to charge to see the daily activities. I look forward to getting that sheet of paper when I come back from dinner. One other thing...who wants to carry around a clunky ipad? The paper gets folded up and put in your pocket. I hope this is not really taking place. Terrible idea X.

Just got back last night from our June 7-19 cruise from Barcelona on the Solstice that covered stops in Villefranche, near Pisa/Tuscany and Rome, Naples/Amalfi Coast, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Had great weather and a wonderful trip. Great ship, super staff, etc.

That daily newspaper is used lots and lots to promote ship activities, sell excursions, push buying their services, etc., that create lots of ship revenue. I would doubt very much that such a step would be taken. That daily listing is like a "daily Bible" and needed so much, especially, to their credit, they don't have lots of ship-wide PA announcements.

If of interest, you can check out ots and lots of special pictures with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on our first sailing with Celebrity These postings are now at nearly 10,000 views for this live/blog re-cap. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest on the Solstice, these port stops, etc. Check these postings at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 44,106 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I believe the OP is referring to the newspapers that X prints off abbreviated versions of, not the list of daily activities. Look at the first part of the post:

Have read that Celebrity intends to no longer produce daily news sheets allowing passengers instead to download newspapers on to an iPad. Charge for this to be $10 per cruise to use the service.

Yes it is the "news paper" we are talking about but I do not like the idea since I don't have an Ipad and probably won't ever one either and I would find it terrible not to have acess to news in that paper format. RCCL has already done away with them and we definately missed something especially since RCCL doesn't offfer any decent news chanles other than a US and MAYBE a british one

We used to really enjoy reading the little newspaper on Royal Caribbean and then they did away with it. We really missed it. When we sailed on Eclipse in April, we were so happy to find the little newspapers there and were appreciative that Celebrity had not stopped this practice.

We don't have an I-Pad, but even if we did, we wouldn't pay $10 to download daily news. If Celebrity wants to save paper, why not do as another writer here suggested, post the news on the TV set? My personal preference, however, is to continue the little newspaper. It is so pleasant to sit in a comfy chair and read it each day. I realize that is probably "old fashioned."

Okay, put the newspaper on a television channel. But don't ask passengers to pay for it.

That is a GREAT idea. It would be a compromise...passengers would not be able to carry it around with them, but the ship would save printing and distribution costs.

We don't have an I-Pad, but even if we did, we wouldn't pay $10 to download daily news. If Celebrity wants to save paper, why not do as another writer here suggested, post the news on the TV set? My personal preference, however, is to continue the little newspaper. It is so pleasant to sit in a comfy chair and read it each day. I realize that is probably "old fashioned."

I don't think this is "old fashioned". I have a Kindle but never like reading newspapers or even magazines on it. Newspapers need to be the "real thing"! (And I'm in the late 30s age group).

Agree with you 100%!

I'll be disappointed if they discontinue the newspaper. I don't want to have to sit in my cabin and read it on the TV. I want to be able to sit out on my veranda and read it. :(

Garry

Those daily "newspapers" are so small and lacking in depth that they make USA Today seem like a heavy hitter. In reality they are nothing more than brief news summaries worthy of about 3-5 minutes of throne time. I have been waffling about bringing my iPad on the next cruise, but if I could download an even remotely complete version of a real US or UK newspaper for $10 for the entire cruise, I'm in for the deal!

Okay, put the newspaper on a television channel. But don't ask passengers to pay for it.

The news is already on a television channel - CNN or CNN International is broadcast on in-cabin television free of charge 24/7.

CNN or CNN International is broadcast on in-cabin television free of charge 24/7.

Preferably CNN International. Or as I've taken to calling it these days, "CNN International -- More Meat, Less Weiner." ;)

right now what about the rest of us.....while on the Navigator this Ecoli business hit home and we would have liked more information about at home and all we got was this castrated version of DW. Soory but that isn't an alternative.

Hi Everyone !

I asked the question to Celebrity. They said the Paper version of the World News will continue to be available for their Guests. I hope this helps !

Preferably CNN International. Or as I've taken to calling it these days, "CNN International -- More Meat, Less Weiner." ;)

Super great line on less news about now former Congressman Weiner. Having just got back last night from our June 7-19 cruise from Barcelona on the Solstice, my on-ship experience was that even CNN was covering that story lots more than maybe what was needed or desired.

Glad to hear from Host Andy that Celebrity is not doing away with this printed version of the "news". That's good. It's not the best, most in-depth piece of "journalism", but it is something. Fortunately, I had my lap-top and could follow the news more closely as we traveled.

The challenge for the cruise line is that they put that out in several different versions of this publication every day, each targeted to the language and news for many countries . . . USA, Germany, England, Japan, Australia, etc., etc. It's not like they only have one version to do each day. It all takes time and effort putting it together, printing, getting out, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

That's a terrible idea. I think they would have a lot of angry passengers if they tried to charge to see the daily activities. I look forward to getting that sheet of paper when I come back from dinner. One other thing...who wants to carry around a clunky ipad? The paper gets folded up and put in your pocket. I hope this is not really taking place. Terrible idea X.

Tammy, they are talking about the newspapers...not the "Celebrity

Today"

Thanks for checking for us Andy. Although it has its limitations I do find the Britain Today useful so it s good to hear that the newsheets will be continuing

Hi Everyone !

I asked the question to Celebrity. They said the Paper version of the World News will continue to be available for their Guests. I hope this helps !

Good to hear.

As others have said, there are a lot of limitations with it, and a lot of better alternatives, but unless they're put in place, it's still better than nothing. For example, I think a fuller on TV digest, like Teletext would be fantastic.

Archived