Prepaid Gratuities

Sailed on Allure two weeks ago.

Sailing in December 2011 on the Oasis of the Seas

Prepaid gratuities INCREASED from $68.25 to $81.55

Effective July 1, 2011 the recommended gratuities have increased to $11.65 pp per day for those booked in cabins up to and including JS. $13.90 for guests booked in GS and above cabins.

$5.00 - Housekeeping Staff ($7.25 for GS and above)

$3.75 - Waiter

$2.15 - Assistant Waiter

$0.75 - Head Waiter

$11.65 - per person per day ($13.90 for GS and above)

Yep....they've increased, as has everything!

And, I believe, the first increase in the suggested amounts in approximately two decades.:) And in the case of non-suites, still less than the $12 per person/per day "service charge" that other lines automatically add to your account.

This is why I always take pre-paid of my bill, and leave a gratuity on my own. They deserve a lot more than we the pre-paid is. They all work hard.

Royal Caribbean does not automatically add anything to your bill. If you want them to add the gratuities, you must request it.

And if you do ask to have them put on your bill, you will receive envelopes and vouchers in your cabin. You are always welcome to add cash to the vouchers before you hand the envelopes to the wonderful staff who have made your cruise memorable.

We just booked Liberty of the Seas for Dec. and because we have my time dining, the tips are automatically added to the total cruise bill. I don't mind and I am willing to leave service staff extra if the service is good (which it has always been in the past).

Sher

We just booked Liberty of the Seas for Dec. and because we have my time dining, the tips are automatically added to the total cruise bill. I don't mind and I am willing to leave service staff extra if the service is good (which it has always been in the past).

Sher

Your booking MTD triggered the adding of gratuities to your bill. It is never done without your knowledge or approval.

I just got off of The Pride of America (Norwegian). The tip rate was $12 per day per person and the service STUNK!!!! The rooms were not cleaned, the dining room service was awful, except for one day when we had good waitstaff. I've always had good service on Royal Caribbean, so I won't be complaining!!

Only problem I have with MTD and the prepaid gratuities is having the head waiter in there. I just got off the Explorer and never saw the Head Waiter during the 9 days and we went to the dining room 8 nights. Could not have picked him out of a lineup. Wife was not happy having already paid those for 4 people. In 6 previous non MTD cruises we always had interactions with the Head Waiter.

Only problem I have with MTD and the prepaid gratuities is having the head waiter in there. I just got off the Explorer and never saw the Head Waiter during the 9 days and we went to the dining room 8 nights. Could not have picked him out of a lineup. Wife was not happy having already paid those for 4 people. In 6 previous non MTD cruises we always had interactions with the Head Waiter.

The standard reply to this idea is that the Head Waiter is in charge of a large section of the dining room. It is his (or her) job to make sure that all of the waiters and assistant waiters are properly trained, are doing their job well, with all of the things that they need to do their job well.

If your service is good, and the whole section is running smoothly, then your Head Waiter is doing his/her job well, albeit behind the scenes.

Some are more visible than others, but good service is a product of their good job.

You may believe this or not.

I do.

:)

Was the service from your waiter and assistant waiter good? If so than their boss, your head waiter, has done a good job. We too have experienced an absent headwaiter now and then but the service from the waiter and assistant was excellent. No need to complain or not provide a tip.

One of the jobs headwaiter do is work in the kitchen ensuring meals being delivered to the MDR/MTD are getting out as needed. If that person was ill and no other was available to replace them, it would be necessary for one of the other headwaiters to do that function. It might be a reason you did not see yours.

We have also seen headwaiters we know working at the MTD waiting line. I have seen them seating those who have been waiting. Perhaps you were seated by your headwaiter and were not aware of it.

Royal Caribbean does not automatically add anything to your bill. If you want them to add the gratuities, you must request it.

And if you do ask to have them put on your bill, you will receive envelopes and vouchers in your cabin. You are always welcome to add cash to the vouchers before you hand the envelopes to the wonderful staff who have made your cruise memorable.

If your with a "group booking" gratuities are automatically added to your cruise price----no asking it's just done!! Actually we like it this way, don't have to worry about it. Just have to give concierge his/her gratuity!

If your with a "group booking" gratuities are automatically added to your cruise price----no asking it's just done!! Actually we like it this way, don't have to worry about it. Just have to give concierge his/her gratuity!

I have been part of "group bookings" and have NEVER had the gratuities put on my bill.

Perhaps it is something that *your* travel agent does.

$3000 cruise plus spending money, airfare, hotels, etc. an extra $13 pp is not really a deal breaker. Heck, if they really wanted to pinch you, they would inflict the dreaded (dear I say it) oil surcharge and hit everyone on the boat for a lot more money.

If you are not happy with your service, discuss it with the head of the department early in the cruise - do not wait until the last day, don't complain only on Cruise Critic (yes, I know, CC has effected change for some things in the past) or write an email to cruise line after the cruise (do so only after you made every attempt to correct it on the ship, and let the line know if the problem was handled or not handled to your liking).

It is much more effective to do it on the spot, and dealing with those who can implement the corrections immediately. If I was not happy with my room service or wait staff the first day, correct the problem for the next 6 days.

If pre-paids are opted or mandated, you do have the option to go to the desk and request them removed. I would highly recommend trying to fix the problem from the beginning rather than letting it slide and not letting the person know they are not performing to your standards.

Was the service from your waiter and assistant waiter good? If so than their boss, your head waiter, has done a good job. We too have experienced an absent headwaiter now and then but the service from the waiter and assistant was excellent. No need to complain or not provide a tip.

One of the jobs headwaiter do is work in the kitchen ensuring meals being delivered to the MDR/MTD are getting out as needed. If that person was ill and no other was available to replace them, it would be necessary for one of the other headwaiters to do that function. It might be a reason you did not see yours.

We have also seen headwaiters we know working at the MTD waiting line. I have seen them seating those who have been waiting. Perhaps you were seated by your headwaiter and were not aware of it.

I agree that a good head waiter affects your waiter's performance, and in the end, your dining experience. But I still believe that tips should be for direct service. There are others who indirectly provide service to us (chefs, dishwashers, laundry personnel) who do not receive direct tips from us. I expect the head waiter to stop by and check on the table on a daily basis to make sure that we are being taken care of. Most likely, if he's not doing that basic part of his duty, he's not doing other little things to improve my dining experience.

Rich

If pre-paids are opted or mandated, you do have the option to go to the desk and request them removed. I would highly recommend trying to fix the problem from the beginning rather than letting it slide and not letting the person know they are not performing to your standards.

If you have MTD, you cannot remove the tips. I'm not sure how It's handled for regular dining but I can't imagine service ever being so bad I'd even consider doing such a thing!

If you don't prepay the tips I understand that you get vouchers and envelopes at the end of the cruise to leave tips in. Are these divided into individual categories? For example, do you get one for the housekeeping staff, another for the cabin steward and one for the head waiter? Trying to decide if we should tip every day, or just fill the envelopes at the end of the cruise? Imagine it might be difficult to track down the head waiter, etc. every night to give them a tip?

Sailed on Allure two weeks ago.

Sailing in December 2011 on the Oasis of the Seas

Prepaid gratuities INCREASED from $68.25 to $81.55

Are you asking a questions, Pre paid gratuities is the way to go, I have cruised over 23 times and read numerous books on people working on cruise ships, they work hard to please you, yet I read so many posts about people complaining.. and wanting to stiff the staff for a few $$, I love pre paid, never worry and if you want to tip more go for it.

The only dumb thing is when you prepay the gratuities you are given a coupon to give to your staff while the staff in the pre paid section already had been notified and the coupons mean nothing

cruisinbob.com

If you don't prepay the tips I understand that you get vouchers and envelopes at the end of the cruise to leave tips in. Are these divided into individual categories? For example, do you get one for the housekeeping staff, another for the cabin steward and one for the head waiter? Trying to decide if we should tip every day, or just fill the envelopes at the end of the cruise? Imagine it might be difficult to track down the head waiter, etc. every night to give them a tip?

The vouchers are given to you when you pre-pay your gratuities in advance. If you elect to do MTD, they pre-paying gratuities is a requirement prior to signing up.

If you elect not to pre-pay then you will only receive envelopes at the end of the cruise for your cabin attendant, waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter where you can add whatever amount you wish, but hopefully it will be the recommended amount. You will hand these envelopes to them on the last night of the cruise.

Are you asking a questions, Pre paid gratuities is the way to go, I have cruised over 23 times and read numerous books on people working on cruise ships, they work hard to please you, yet I read so many posts about people complaining.. and wanting to stiff the staff for a few $$, I love pre paid, never worry and if you want to tip more go for it.

The only dumb thing is when you prepay the gratuities you are given a coupon to give to your staff while the staff in the pre paid section already had been notified and the coupons mean nothing

cruisinbob.com

When pre-paying, you do not have to give that voucher to anyone. As you have stated, they already know who has pre-paid and who has not. I like to think of the voucher as a confirming receipt that everyone that is supposed to get paid is going to get paid.:)

It is actually worked like a payroll where every week the crew is getting paid..........but they are usually 1-2 weeks behind, depending on length of sailings. So, if you cruise this week and pre-pay your gratuities, the people that served you will receive those gratuities 1-2 weeks from the end of your cruise.

Archived