Platinum requirements changing

I have and also operate a successful business, thank you very much. .

Yeah, I am sure you do:rolleyes:.

Carnival runs a successful and profitable cruise line. They know what they are doing, unlike the backseat cruisers.

quote=Sargent_Schultz;29673851]Seems to me you just returned from a Carnival cruise. Perks or no perks, you continue to cruise on Carnival. What does that say about YOU?

Your response shows a lack of reading comprehension. I said that my next cruise will be on Princess and the one after that will be RCL. Now, from that, you should be able to infer that I will not be on CCL in the near future. I have objectively given the reasons too.

Coming from you, that is not saying much. I gave the reason why I stay at Sheratons- with the perks, they are a fabulous value. For the same price as other hotels, I get better accomadations. They let me check in early and check out late (handy on cruise days) plus give me free room upgrades. What is wrong with that? Last week, got a ocean front room on the beach in Fort Lauderdale for only $81 a night. Maybe you don't understand value, maybe you simply don't understand how loyalty programs work, it is your loss. I gain a lot from these programs, getting free air fare, free hotel rooms and upgrades, but you say people who use these programs to be dumb.

I don't consider people influenced one way or another by perks to be among the brightest bulbs.

I know a lot of people loyal to Princess and RCL who love the perks. RCL has some insane loyalty, no wonder people who cruise Carnival get so defensive and bent out of shape.

Its just a different ballgame. Nothing wrong with either. i cant wait to get into the diamond lounge on the RCL ships .. I just want in, and I hardly drink. Never mind the $200 balcony discount for being diamond.

Your loyalty to Carnival is admiral .. but it blinds you to the fact you dont have to be stupid to enjoy perks that others receive on other lines. It doesnt matter its not your thing, you should be able to understand not everyone is like you.

I gave the reason why I stay at Sheratons- with the perks, they are a fabulous value. For the same price as other hotels, I get better accomadations. They let me check in early and check out late (handy on cruise days) plus give me free room upgrades. What is wrong with that? Last week, got a ocean front room on the beach in Fort Lauderdale for only $81 a night. Maybe you don't understand value, maybe you simply don't understand how loyalty programs work, it is your loss. I gain a lot from these programs, getting free air fare, free hotel rooms and upgrades, but you say people who use these programs to be dumb.

I get the same benefits with Sheraton courtesy of Amex Platinum, airline lounges, free tickets, etc. You can buy benefits a lot cheaper than a rewards program costs you to earn.

Clearly you don't understand that Carnival is the best value in cruising. Sheraton is certainly not the best value in hotels.

Funny how those who swear they are never cruising on Carnival again keep coming back. Funniest of all is that they still post in this forum.

They always come back, perks or no perks. You will be assimilated.

Funny how those who swear they are never cruising on Carnival again keep coming back. Funniest of all is that they still post in this forum.

I love the fact that you have me on IGNORE --- :D

I will NEVER ignore you, as I love the entertainment!!

--- BORG --- OUT. ;)

Clearly you don't understand that Carnival is the best value in cruising. Sheraton is certainly not the best value in hotels.

I haven't run a business, but I have co-written a marketing text.

Getting new customers is important, but keeping your existing customers is the way businesses stay in business.

Value, especially in the service industry, is often in the eye of the beholder. Customers want to feel appreciated, and that means more than just delivering "good value." There's other places out there that deliver "good value" as well. A customer who feels he is being take for granted often becomes an ex-customer, even if he is getting the exact same quality goods and services at the exact same price.

If you're a successful businessman, I'll bet you do find ways to let your customers, and especially your good customers, know you appreciate them. It might be something small like taking a few minutes to talk to them when they come in, or it might be rearranging a schedule to make sure they get taken care of the way they are supposed to. You don't have to have a formal "frequent flyer" program to let repeat customers know they are appreciated.

The bigger the company, the more difficult this becomes sometimes, but the principle remains the same.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. :p But come on. Marketing isn't selling. Marketing is a bi-directional activity. Carnival is clearly a mass market cruise line and knows you can't please all the people all the time. That they grow and continue to build new ships is indisputable.

In any event, valued customers don't need a program to take care of them, they are taken care of appropriately, on a case, by case basis. Same as politicians or any other.

How many hotels are there in the Starwood chain vs how many cruise ships in the Carnival brand? Hint - Carnival Magic is number 100 across the Carnival Corporation brands.

On a cruise line, there are many ways to make a customer feel appreciated. Many are effective without costing much, if anything. For example, addressing cruisers by name. Most cruisers appreciate a rapport with the cruise staff serving them and in fact seek it out. Respect doesn't have a price tag - those who think it does are mistaken.

My advice to those offering advice to Carnival is to not quit your day job. To those retired, find a new hobby.

In the business that I referred to? I don't know who my best customers are and there is no need. Thanks for playing, but my business and business model doesn't depend on it.

This thread has become a my thingy is bigger than you thingy debate. It is so funny how people can get so worked up over a simple statement or question.:eek:

I must behave on this comment...LOL...

I am sure some will learn to think with their smarter head someday...;)

I think you're missing the point, Sarge. Carnival cruisers didn't set the loyalty program, Carnival did. When they can't establish consistency with their own program, that is a problem. It's like telling the kids there are going to be presents under the tree Christmas morning but there aren't! Big disappointment! The perks Carnival provides for platinum cruisers does not make or break my cruise. but to tell me I have priority tendering to a port and I plan my departure from the ship accordingly only to arrive at the pursers desk and be told they don't know what I'm talking about-that is the inconsistency we are talking about.:mad:

Pat

But the perks have been the same for quite some time. It's the rumor mills that get people excited for a 'new and improved plat program' and then everyone tries to think of what perk they'd like the best and then they are disappointed when nothing changes. Guess what: don't expect it to change in any big way, anytime soon. Then you won't be disappointed. All carnival says is that they are 'reviewing the program and considering changes in the future' which I'm sure is true. Don't get your hopes up, and you won't be let down.

• 3 weeks later...

I love Carnival. But too many people are platinum. The only real reason to go on Carnival now is to get some free laundry done. The real reason I keep going on Carnival is because they offer the better itineraries and are the cheapest. Other than that, I would switch to another cruise line in a second because I do not feel like a 'valued' customer. Loyalty programs are meant to retain customers. Repeat customers are huge revenue streams for any hotel chain, cruise line, or airline. The reason CCL is so successful is because they can offer inexpensive cruises to the masses, but they can't give stuff away unless they charge more somewhere else, so I can accept that. Sure, they can raise my cruise fare $50 and give me $25 in OBC, but where does that get me?

In other words, you pay for it one way or another. The things like VIP embarkation/disembarkation are true perks they can offer without hitting their bottom line. They need to think of more things like this to do to please their repeat guests.

I think they will do something along the lines of RCL. More levels, such as after 5 cruises a perk or 2. Perhaps a drink coupon and/or photo coupons.

It would be nice if at milestone there would be a private lounge with drinks like RCL does. Or your choice of a bottle of wine or water etc. in your cabin.

One thing is for sure I will be doing a 2 week cruise with RCL and will miss the free laundry.

I will admit the boarding as platinum beats the system RCL has, where you only have a special checkin counter and then join the que to board. (This was the case in Miami where there were no lines to check in, but a 2 hour wait to board. This might of been an exception to the rule, but it was a real nightmare.)

Hey Carnival, if you read these CC comments, why not give us some answers??? I have ask Big John H when Carnival will roll out the long awaited "New Loyalty Program. But all I received was Silence Silence Silence.:confused::confused::confused:

I'm at 17 CCL cruises, I hope by the time I get to 25 the " New Loyalty Program" will be rolled out. I still think CCL is a bargin, but their loyalty program needs to be improved to keep loyal guest. I don't need any more writing paper, pens, coolers, stail hors d'ouvres or picture frames. If all this adds up to $15.00 obc at least I could buy a drink of my choice.

:D:D:D

leedm

If all this adds up to $15.00 obc at least I could buy a drink of my choice.

What, you don't care for those free drinks they have at the past guest party? That is top shelf stuff there buddy -- though from the top shelf of a lower cabinet! :eek:

:D

Tom

Well I for one would like something with cruise days as I have over 30 days in 3 years cruising. I don't do less than 7 day cruises and spend a hefty sum. And 10 cruises at 3 days each ..well I;m just saying.

Have you seen the prices for the 3 night cruises on the west coast? I pay more for an inside on the Paradise for 3 nights than I did on the Destiny for 5 nights..just sayin.

Well I see what you mean..humm suite everytime here..maybe it should be amount spent to cruise..just saying.

Yea maybe..maybe not...many scout out specials and cruise often. Not sure any cruise line does their loyalty program based on dollars spent. I've done suites, reg balcony, OV, inside....depending on how many times I want to cruise each year. When we had a suite every time, we didnt cruise as often lol! If anything, the # of days at sea has been tossed around before as an idea, similar to what some other cruiselines do.

Well I see what you mean..humm suite everytime here..maybe it should be amount spent to cruise..just saying.

It should just be the amount of cruises. 10 cruises and you are Platinum. Oh wait a minute- that's what they do now. You will just have to wait to get to 10 cruises. I am sorry to sound so insensitive but that is how the system is currently setup. I live in florida so I have done several short cruises. In those short cruises I have spent a lot of money. I have shown a loyalty to the brand and therefore will be rewarded on my next Carnival cruise as a Platinum guest. When you get to 10 (no matter how many days) the same reward will be waiting for you.

Archived