Wine/Alcohol List/Pricing

Jade13

Pardon my naivety, I didn't see Absinthe listed as available? Did I miss it? If it isn't available, how can anyone enjoy themselves w/o Absinthe? And if I only drink that in my cabin, is there still the $18 fee as I'm confused now.

No I don't have any Absinthe in my right now! ;)

Derek

Thanks, ironin! I see the prices have gone up a bit since DBA posted them.

Christine-

Thanks so much for the information. This will be our first HAL cruise and we were not sure what was on their menu!

Pardon my naivety, I didn't see Absinthe listed as available? Did I miss it? If it isn't available, how can anyone enjoy themselves w/o Absinthe? And if I only drink that in my cabin, is there still the $18 fee as I'm confused now.

No I don't have any Absinthe in my right now! ;)

Derek

There is no corkage fee when you drink your wine in your stateroom:) (I am assuming this is a wine?)

Corkage fee only applies when you take your bottle of wine to a public area on the ship.

There is no corkage fee when you drink your wine in your stateroom:) (I am assuming this is a wine?)

Corkage fee only applies when you take your bottle of wine to a public area on the ship.

You know what happens when people assume... ;)

Plan and simple, Absinthe is NOT a wine. It usually has an alcohol content of 45% to 75%.

Taxmantoo is correct.

Absinthe is considered a neutral spirit, is green, was illegal for years due to the belief it was a hallucinogen due to a component within the wormwood used to make it, but now that science has shown you'd need to consume an amount beyond human capacity to even be impacted by the component of wormwood, Absinthe is legal once again.

It has a licorice flavor and can be pretty potent--some up to 150 proof. It isn't as powerful as Everclear.

Being a PA boy, my fave is the brand Vieux Carre... it is bottled/distilled by Philadelphia Distilling. Has an interesting mix of flavors and is only 120 proof.

As for no corkage, excellent!! Thank you for clarification! A sip of Absinthe is a great way to end an evening!

Derek

As for no corkage, excellent!! Thank you for clarification! A sip of Absinthe is a great way to end an evening!

He only clarified that absinthe isn't wine, but that's not excellent news for you. If there's no corkage, you simply can't bring it on. HAL allows passengers to bring on unlimited amounts of wine and non-alcoholic beverages, but no liquor or beer. Even if you were to smuggle it aboard, you wouldn't be able to drink it (or at least pour it) in public places.

This is slightly tangential, but does OV mean obstructed view? We'll be on Ryndam in October in an obstructed view cabin - no fridge? If you rent one, is there someplace convenient to put it, and do you need to reserve it in advance, or do you just ask your room steward to bring one?

Also, anyone know a good place in Barcelona to buy wine before boarding?

This is slightly tangential, but does OV mean obstructed view? We'll be on Ryndam in October in an obstructed view cabin - no fridge? If you rent one, is there someplace convenient to put it, and do you need to reserve it in advance, or do you just ask your room steward to bring one?

An "OV" is an outside cabin, which may or may not have an obstructed view. Supposedly, the "OV" stands for "ocean view".

On the Ryndam, outside cabins do not have a fridge. Yes, you can rent one, but do so in advance, as the numbers are limited.

I don't think there's a convenient place to put it, though. It will go in the kneehole under the desk, which makes it difficult to sit and apply make-up, do hair, read the Daily Program, etc. It also uses the one electrical outlet at the desk.

He only clarified that absinthe isn't wine, but that's not excellent news for you. If there's no corkage, you simply can't bring it on. HAL allows passengers to bring on unlimited amounts of wine and non-alcoholic beverages, but no liquor or beer. Even if you were to smuggle it aboard, you wouldn't be able to drink it (or at least pour it) in public places.

Perhaps I could simply mix it with root beer, it is indistinquishable when mixed with root beer unless you drink it... perhaps I can make some contacts to provide Absinthe in room for me as well and without circumventing the rules.

Derek

Silly question:

We will be cuising to Bermuda. We fly into JFK. Will we be able to purchase wine, etc at a duty-free shop? I do not want to pack a bunch of wine because we are limited to 50 pounds, but I will not have an opportunity to leave the airport to purchase somewhere else.

• 3 months later...

This is just an FYI post---- if you have a favorite wine and have a Trader Joe's store near you....buy your wine there and bring it on board.

The wine I was drinking on the Zaandam was $29/bottle (+ the 15% surcharge) - at Trader Joe's the bottle is $7.99 + tax....

think this is a no-brainer....

Bringing a $8 wine onboard would only be worthwhile if consuming in your room, else you will pay the $18 corkage ($8 + $18 = $26). Not really worth carrying onboard to save a buck or two.

Gary

This is just an FYI post---- if you have a favorite wine and have a Trader Joe's store near you....buy your wine there and bring it on board.

The wine I was drinking on the Zaandam was $29/bottle (+ the 15% surcharge) - at Trader Joe's the bottle is $7.99 + tax....

Does the corkage fee apply when you take your bottle of wine to the Promenade Deck to drink while reclined in a lounger? :confused:

How about "Total Wine & More" as well? ;)

An "OV" is an outside cabin, which may or may not have an obstructed view. Supposedly, the "OV" stands for "ocean view".

On the Ryndam, outside cabins do not have a fridge. Yes, you can rent one, but do so in advance, as the numbers are limited.

I don't think there's a convenient place to put it, though. It will go in the kneehole under the desk, which makes it difficult to sit and apply make-up, do hair, read the Daily Program, etc. It also uses the one electrical outlet at the desk.

Couldn't the fridge (also) be placed on top of the desk at the end beneath the T.V.? :confused:

• 3 months later...
The concept of having wine left over eludes me...

My favorite quote from The Count of Monte Cristo:

"It is no use," said the old man, "there is no wine."

"What, no wine?" said Dantes, turning pale

Only one person at the table drinking.

[Only the Deluxe Suites get a free bottle of champagne compliments of the Hotel Manager and the Captain. All we have been getting is Pol Clemente Brut.

Our BA on Maasdam had a bottle of wine when we arrived. It was compliments of either the Hotel Manager or the Captain.

thanks for all the good info from all of you. i have two questions. one, how do i bring my own wine on board? do i check it in my suitcase, carry it on, put a luggage tag on it?

secondly, if i have a bottle in my cabin, pour a glass and go to dinner, do they charge the $18 corkage there? if i buy a bottle from a bar and have some there and take it to dinner, do they ask to see a receipt to prove i bought it on the ship so they don't charge the corkage?

first time on hal and really surprised they allow you to bring your own wine. thanks for your help with the questions.

thanks for all the good info from all of you. i have two questions. one, how do i bring my own wine on board? do i check it in my suitcase, carry it on, put a luggage tag on it? You can use any of these methods. If you're bringing a couple of bottles you can either carry them on or wrap them in bubble wrap and put them in your suitcase. I actually brought 6 bottles in our checked luggage on our Baltic cruise. If you bring a case, just stick a luggage tag on the box

secondly, if i have a bottle in my cabin, pour a glass and go to dinner, do they charge the $18 corkage there? No if i buy a bottle from a bar and have some there and take it to dinner, do they ask to see a receipt to prove i bought it on the ship so they don't charge the corkage? No, they won't. They know what wines they serve on board. I guess to be on the safe side you could save the receipt from the bar, just in case. The bar personnel will also mark the bottle for you and make sure it gets to the dining room--probably depends on how close to dinner it is.

first time on hal and really surprised they allow you to bring your own wine. thanks for your help with the questions.We really appreciate it too!

thanks for all the good info from all of you. i have two questions. one, how do i bring my own wine on board? do i check it in my suitcase, carry it on, put a luggage tag on it? You can use any of these methods. If you're bringing a couple of bottles you can either carry them on or wrap them in bubble wrap and put them in your suitcase. I actually brought 6 bottles in our checked luggage on our Baltic cruise. If you bring a case, just stick a luggage tag on the box

secondly, if i have a bottle in my cabin, pour a glass and go to dinner, do they charge the $18 corkage there? No if i buy a bottle from a bar and have some there and take it to dinner, do they ask to see a receipt to prove i bought it on the ship so they don't charge the corkage? No, they won't. They know what wines they serve on board. I guess to be on the safe side you could save the receipt from the bar, just in case. The bar personnel will also mark the bottle for you and make sure it gets to the dining room--probably depends on how close to dinner it is.

first time on hal and really surprised they allow you to bring your own wine. thanks for your help with the questions.We really appreciate it too!

thank you nancy, very helpful. have a great cruise next week.

Archived