GASP .... We're Ready to Give Up Formal

sail7seas

Well, I don't want to spent up to two and done half hours eating in the MDR! ;) I love moving quickly through the Lido line for dinner where I am usually waiting first in line for it to open (for both lunch & dinner) & the food has always been served hot whereas it has not always been served hot in the MDR! I can make more productive use of my time after spending 45 minutes eating in the Lido rather than up to two and one half hours in the MDR! :D

And some of us enjoy a nice long, leisurely dinner in the MDR with food, wine and friends. :)

I have never understood this, and I guess that I never will.

I DO expect the cruiselines to enforce their dress codes.

And I DO think that we all have a perfect right to dress (within reason) as we wish on our cruise.

But it seems to me that it is no longer the people that do not want to dress up as being forced to conform with those that do, but the other way around.

If I do not want to dress up and go to the dining rooms on the very few formal nights that cruiselines now have, then I do not have to, and I will not starve!

There are plenty of informal options provided on all ships for me to attend.

But if I DO want to dress up for formal nights and keep it formal and not a mix of blue jeans and tux; then I no longer have an option at all.

And about that packing excuse.

lets see, what shall I pack?

tux jacket .vs. jacket

tux pants .vs. pants/jeans

shirt .vs. shirt

underwear .vs. underwear, hopefully underwear, and not showing;)

shoes .vs.shoes

socks .vs. OK, if you want to wear flip flops then I guess that you can leave out a pair of socks from your suitcase.

Ladies gown (usually of a silky material that can go in a large envelope... vs dress or skirt and blouse or pants and shirt.supposedly she will still wear underwear with either.

What is the deal with using packing as an excuse? with very few exceptions, you still have to wear something that night, and if there are two formal nights, then the guys are covered for two nights of packing. Hopefully with a change of underwear:rolleyes:

The airlines charging for baggage is annoying, but fortunately for most of us there are options.

Southwest airlines that does not charge for one or two bags, I forget how many.

or you can apply for the delta sky card and then they will also allow you one bag each free. And most of us use a credit card any way.

Most of us can fly these airlines, and for the rest, well you are still going to take a bag, so pack a tux and cover two nights:D

If you don't dine in the MDR then it really doesn't matter. It is the question of dress in the MDR which we are talking about. At the entrance to the dining room and in the days newsletter it gives a dress "suggestion". Smart Casual or Formal. It would be somewhat Draconian for the Head Waiter to refuse entry unless someone was being deliberately offensive.

I don't think there is anything draconian about them refusing you entry if they are enforcing the dress code. It's not like you are being punished. If I were ever refused entry (not likely), I would certainly be embarrassed, but otherwise unharmed.

Well, I don't want to spent up to two and done half hours eating in the MDR! ;) I love moving quickly through the Lido line for dinner where I am usually waiting first in line for it to open (for both lunch & dinner) & the food has always been served hot whereas it has not always been served hot in the MDR! I can make more productive use of my time after spending 45 minutes eating in the Lido rather than up to two and one half hours in the MDR! :D

The difference is that one option is just 'chowing down" and the other is dining.:)

The difference is that one option is just 'chowing down" and the other is dining.:)

Exactly:) We enjoy dinners in the MDR or the PG or wherever. Lido has not been an option. I showed it to dh one night when he didn't want to get dressed up and said, see we can just eat here. He chose to dress up:D

We like dining:)

But if I DO want to dress up for formal nights and keep it formal and not a mix of blue jeans and tux; then I no longer have an option at all.

You have the option of picking a cruise line that enforces a dress code that you are satisfied with.

I loved eating at the Canaletto. The wait staff was great the food was great, desert great...loved the cotton candy, even though I only had a pinch.

The last cruise I didn't make a reservation till the day I wanted to eat there and so I had to eat early rather than when I wanted to. My Mother-in-Law didn't go so it was just me. This next cruise on HAL will be with my Husband and a second couple, we will be eating there again, but this time I will make reservations earlier.

Maybe thats where the confusion comes? Reservations are needed, but there is no cost.

I'll stop bringing my formal attire when, and if the cruise line no longer supports it. I could care less what anyone else is wearing. I'm not changing my lifestyle for the sake of others. Once you give up you lose.

Michael

Yeh Michael! I agree. My next cruise will include my MIL, brother in law, sister, nephew and his wife. It is my brother in law, sisters, and MIL's first cruise. My brother in law bought a suit to wear specifically for formal night. My MIL has been buying new fancy clothes even though she is 82. She's going to look sharp! I will probably be the only one with a tux but there shouldn't be any jeans at our table.

John

I started reading this since, like it or not, things are changing. On our last cruise, it seemed that fewer gents were in tuxes/dark suits on formal nights, but that was on a Circle Hawaii itinerary.

With a Med cruise on the horizon, we go back and forth on how we are going to approach formal nights. We certainly don't travel with the same number of cases as we used to. However, this itinerary is quite port intensive and we wonder how 3 formal nights are being fit into a 10-day cruise with 2 sea days. We just don't know how we will feel after touring all day.

If we do opt for the more traditional feel (one of the things that attracted us to cruising in the first place), DH may opt to rent a tux, bringing his own accessories and shoes. We have done this on a few occasions and it has worked out pretty well.

In any event, to accessorize my outfits, my costume jewelery -- such as it is -- will have to suffice. We only hope the staff at the MDR don't have to appraise its value to determine where we will be seated or we could end up eating in a service closet!:eek:

By the way, thanks to so many of you for 'Lightening Up' on this thread. :D I had a lot of really good laughs and just wish you were going to be on the same sailing as us.

I will probably end up overboard with my jewellery lol. I make it myself!!! I am afraid I am into bling and love it!!

I would never bring decent jewellery near sea air anyway after having a beautiful bracelet spoilt years ago. It was one that meant a lot to me .. not overly valuable at all but still special.

I am going to just love looking at everyone elses beautiful jewellery though I have to admit.

I need my formal portraits. I want to be sure to leave photos for my grandchildren where they say, "Wow, Nana and Papa sure were good looking people who knew how to have fun!"

Alaskan on HAL: Now that is a nice sentiment. I never thought of it that way.

John

I don't think there is anything draconian about them refusing you entry if they are enforcing the dress code. It's not like you are being punished. If I were ever refused entry (not likely), I would certainly be embarrassed, but otherwise unharmed.

My understanding is that it is a "suggested" dress code! :confused: Isn't that why men wearing only short sleeve dress shirts & slacks, (without wearing both a jacket or tie) are permitted into the MDR in formal night? And I have seen many men "allowed" entry into the MDR on formal night dressed as such!

We ate in Veendam's Canaletto one evening, and the proximity to the Lido was not a problem at all. We forget it was just "over the wall."

We loved eating in Canaletto on our last cruise and the food and service were so good we ate there twice. Looking forward to doing it again in January. Once seated, we didn't even know we were near the Lido.

And some of us enjoy a nice long, leisurely dinner in the MDR with food, wine and friends. :)

Yes, I suppose it is a cultural differences thing, but here in Australia when we go out to dinner we generally expect it to last a couple of hours at least. We found the service too fast on our last cruise. I know Americans complain bitterly about the slow service here, but as I said it is a difference in custom. We go to dinner with friends at 7 30 or 8 00 and that is our night.

Many of us Americans also enjoy leisurely dining. Please don't think all Americans are 'cookie'cutter'. :D There are so many millions of us there is great diversity in our country. With over 300 million people, of course, we have very different tastes and styles.

DH and I also go to dinner with our friends at 7:00 or so and that is our evening. We enjoy a cocktail, chat, dine and have a leisurely evening enjoying each other and a fine dinner.

Really? Is that your interpretation for eating dinner in the Lido? :confused:

There were certainly a lot of people with voracious appetites and in a hurry in the Lido when we were there for lunch. We only had dinner once but not my idea of a place to enjoy my dinner when the dining room offers so much more. After all it is a self service cafeteria but if it suits you then enjoy. Be Happy.

In 2009 I became acquainted with an elderly father/mother and their son traveling together. The father was a rather curmudgeonly sort and, once seated for dinner, wouldn't move. He went into the fixed seating on formal night without a jacket or tie and wouldn't return to his room to dress properly. The Maitre d' brought over a jacket and tie for him. It was remarkable, reminded me of the 'old days'. Don't know if they had extras in a closet in case of emergency LOL.

Really? Is that your interpretation for eating dinner in the Lido? :confused:

That is part of the Lido's reputation--a place to grab a quick meal. I don't mind a buffet line for breakfast or lunch, but carrying my own tray or plate to my table at dinner is not "dining."

Also, I think the expression "chow down" comes from the military, where soldiers go through a mess line to get their food. My father HATES any kind of buffet because he says he stood in enough mess lines during his time in the Army.

Yes, I suppose it is a cultural differences thing, but here in Australia when we go out to dinner we generally expect it to last a couple of hours at least. We found the service too fast on our last cruise. I know Americans complain bitterly about the slow service here, but as I said it is a difference in custom. We go to dinner with friends at 7 30 or 8 00 and that is our night.

If you grew up in the states with a big Italian family , you sat at that dining room table alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll day Sunday. *LOL*

Of course those were the days *LOL*

The kids all sat at a separate "Little table" . The oldest kid was like the table monitor (because they were old enough to know better) so they would get hit if the little ones acted up.

Actually not a bad set up for today's cruise ship MDRs

I don't think is is so much a cultural thing as a personal preference and it can change depending on the situation. As a New Yorker there are times that I want my food NOW (or 5 minutes ago) and there are times that I enjoy a long leisurely meal - being on a ship at dinner is often a time like that. :)

That is part of the Lido's reputation--a place to grab a quick meal. I don't mind a buffet line for breakfast or lunch, but carrying my own tray or plate to my table at dinner is not "dining."

Also, I think the expression "chow down" comes from the military, where soldiers go through a mess line to get their food. My father HATES any kind of buffet because he says he stood in enough mess lines during his time in the Army.

Mea culpa----army brat here.:D

My understanding is that it is a "suggested" dress code! :confused: Isn't that why men wearing only short sleeve dress shirts & slacks, (without wearing both a jacket or tie) are permitted into the MDR in formal night? And I have seen many men "allowed" entry into the MDR on formal night dressed as such!

Oh, I agree with that. It is a suggested dress code. What I said was that it would not be draconian to deny admittance based on how you are dressed.

The ambiguity comes into play when they use the words "suggested" and "code" together.

I can't resist making a few comments ...

It sometimes amuses me that some of the sticklers for enforcing the dress code for formal wear advocate what is in reality smart casual. Formal is a tux or suit for men, and a gown for women. Dressy slacks for women can be very expensive, very well cut, very well everything - but slacks for women are not formal. Cocktail dresses are not formal.

Although standards of dress do change over the years ... which is why those things are now acceptable for some formal occasions, such as shipboard dinners and weddings, especially for younger folks. For truly formal events (and we have attended some over the years here in D.C.) cocktail dresses, dressy slacks or sports coats won't get you through the door.

Not packing formal wear and all the stuff that goes with it does save space & weight in luggage. It eliminates one pair of shoes for each of us, a purse (small as it is) for me, and various other items. An extra suitcase would be $50 extra ... it's true that $50 in itself isn't that much in the scope of the entire cruise, but there are lots of $50s here & there and they can become a considerable amount. We choose to use that particular $50 elsewhere.

The most important thing when dressing for dinner, wherever it is, is that everyone in your party is comfortable with everyone in your party. No one else matters. If Mr Chew & I decided to go to McDonalds in formal wear - it's for US, not anyone else.

I have read enough here to know that some people do eat in the MDR with dirty, sloppy clothes and are in need of a shower & shampoo, but I have yet to encounter anyone like that in the MDR on any of my cruises.

Of course I still have many cruises in front of me, so I guess there's still time!

Archived