Doubletree Gallery

DragonMouse

Has anybody stayed here? I have a VERY VERY strong feeling that if I go through Hotwire this is what I'm going to be stuck with. Any thoughts.

We're only going to be there for one night. I figure we're going to get there by about 3:00 in the afternoon the day before the cruise. I was thinking about spending a little time at the beach, eating a good seafood meal then heading maybe to the pool and bed.

Next morning we'll head to the port.

In the pictures it looks so "industrialized". I was "hoping" it was going to be the Sheraton but...according to "betterbidding" it looks like it's now going to be Doubletree for $75.

Does anybody know if they charge for the water taxi? Or have a shuttle to the beach. Hotwire calls it a "beach" hotel but obviously it's not. I guess it'll be OK for one night. But I'll love any thoughts anyone has. There's 3 of us so I'm leary of using Priceline because I need two beds.

I know the hotel quite well, stayed there a number of times. While surely not deluxe, certainly not bad by any means.

Adjacent to the Galleria Mall and a multitude of dining and shopping venues. Also 2 blocks across a short bridge from the beach.

Located on the inter-coastal, I believe the water-taxi stops by there.

Worldspan

129 cruises strong

It's a very nice hotel and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. It really is only close to the Galleria mall, as worldspan mentioned. It is "far" (relatively speaking) from both the airport and the cruiseport, which are close to each other, so you will pay more for taxis in both directions than if you had a hotel closer to the air/cruise ports.

Has anybody stayed here? I have a VERY VERY strong feeling that if I go through Hotwire this is what I'm going to be stuck with. Any thoughts.

We're only going to be there for one night. I figure we're going to get there by about 3:00 in the afternoon the day before the cruise. I was thinking about spending a little time at the beach, eating a good seafood meal then heading maybe to the pool and bed.

In the pictures it looks so "industrialized". I was "hoping" it was going to be the Sheraton but...according to "betterbidding" it looks like it's now going to be Doubletree for $75.

Does anybody know if they charge for the water taxi? Or have a shuttle to the beach. Hotwire calls it a "beach" hotel but obviously it's not. I guess it'll be OK for one night. But I'll love any thoughts anyone has. There's 3 of us so I'm leary of using Priceline because I need two beds.

I have stayed there one night. I thought it was fine. Used the water taxi but it was a couple of years ago so I don't know the current water taxi fare. It is next to the Galleria Mall that has restaurants. Also has a food court that was pretty good for a mall food court.

...we just booked the Marriott Beach Courtyard because of location. The last time we were there we stayed at the DoubleTree. I always look for a Hilton (which that is) or Marriott property because they have great bedding.

They also let you check in early if there is a room available. We fly cross country, usually on a redeye & get in early in the morning.

In reference to that Doubletree......great room,early checkin, etc. but we were not thrilled with the location. Taxi fare is a bit more & you are a bit isolated. Yes there is a mall but NOTHING else in walking distance except a 7/11.

You can walk a few blocks to the beach & we did eat at a great pizza place there. There is not as much as other parts of the beach.

I would stay there again but the Courtyard had a great special. $142. for a 2 room suite incuding breakfast.

They are directly across the street from the main part of the beach. 2 miles from the port, 5 miles from the airport.

They are also just 4 blocks from the Jungle Queen Paddleboat. If you have never taken their dinner cruise, it is well worth it. You cruise the waterways for close to an hour where an announcer points out who lives in which waterfront mansion & gives you the latest gossip. You then stop at a parklike place where you have an all you can eat barbecue of chicken,ribs,shrimp & all the fixins. That is followed by a comedy show. By the time you head back it is dark. It is really cool because any mansions that have their lights on gives you a view of the inside.

...we just booked the Marriott Beach Courtyard because of location. The last time we were there we stayed at the DoubleTree. I always look for a Hilton (which that is) or Marriott property because they have great bedding.

They also let you check in early if there is a room available. We fly cross country, usually on a redeye & get in early in the morning.

In reference to that Doubletree......great room,early checkin, etc. but we were not thrilled with the location. Taxi fare is a bit more & you are a bit isolated. Yes there is a mall but NOTHING else in walking distance except a 7/11.

You can walk a few blocks to the beach & we did eat at a great pizza place there. There is not as much as other parts of the beach.

I would stay there again but the Courtyard had a great special. $142. for a 2 room suite incuding breakfast.

They are directly across the street from the main part of the beach. 2 miles from the port, 5 miles from the airport.

They are also just 4 blocks from the Jungle Queen Paddleboat. If you have never taken their dinner cruise, it is well worth it. You cruise the waterways for close to an hour where an announcer points out who lives in which waterfront mansion & gives you the latest gossip. You then stop at a parklike place where you have an all you can eat barbecue of chicken,ribs,shrimp & all the fixins. That is followed by a comedy show. By the time you head back it is dark. It is really cool because any mansions that have their lights on gives you a view of the inside.

Just a heads up....the 2 room suite at the Courtyard isn't a suite by any stretch on the imagination....it's pretty much a regular room divided to give a bedroom area with a living room area....you must walk thru the bedroom to get to the living room still....go thru the pix on Trip Advisor and you will find a few of the room.

I Have stayed at Gallery One and it's fine...a bit off on it's own. The Galleria mall next door has some nice dining options....upscale mall.

One of my favorites for FLL is the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach resort.....VERY nice.

Hmmm...Is there another "Beach" type zone I should try on Hotwire. I picked "C" "Ft Lauderdale Beach Zone...because it "looked" closest. I really don't understand the "zones" but Hotwire does seem significantly cheaper. And it is only for one night...I'm figuring if I go for the 3-3.5 star and up I shouldn't get a roach motel.

I was hoping to go to the beach for a little bit...or at least a nice pool.

We have stayed there both pre and post cruises and loved the hotel. As mentioned before, next to Galleria Mall and only a short walk over the bridge to the beach. There is a CVS drug store across the street also. It has a nice pool area and a area at the rear of hotel to sit and watch the boats and yachts. The water taxi stop is right at the back of the hotel. Water taxi cost was $20 for all day pass with a discount for seniors. It has gone up in price several times in the past 3 or 4 years. Hotel was completely refurbished about 3 years ago and the suites are very nice.

Hmmm...Is there another "Beach" type zone I should try on Hotwire. I picked "C" "Ft Lauderdale Beach Zone...because it "looked" closest. I really don't understand the "zones" but Hotwire does seem significantly cheaper. And it is only for one night...I'm figuring if I go for the 3-3.5 star and up I shouldn't get a roach motel.

I was hoping to go to the beach for a little bit...or at least a nice pool.

The Hotwire fort Lauderdale beach zone is far stretching so that the furthest hotel can cost $40 from the airport. Gallery One will cost about $30 by taxi from the airport. I think it's perfect, near good restaurants, Starbucks, mall, CVS, and soon to open Publix grocery. The only drawback is that it is a few blocks to the beach, but if it isn't a beach day you'll be right by the mall. Some people use the Hollywood Beach zone which is also about #30 from the airport. One of the hotels there isn't at the beach (Westin country club) but has a free shuttle to a beach hotel.

Stuck with? Industrialized?

I don't think so.

It's a fabulous hotel in a great location.

I'd call the Embassy or Hyatt Place 'stuck with' in an industrial location.

We stayed there last march and enjoyed it. only negative was that one of the three elevators was 'out of service'.

We are looking again for March '12 for 3 nights and its coming in at almost $900 for the 3 nights :confused:, its not worth that sort of money, but we would jump at it for less than $100/night.

Well I delayed too long "thinking"...you snooze you lose I guess :rolleyes:. So no Doubletree...But we got the SHERATON Ft Lauderdale BEACH for $70. It looks nice enough. Grand total of $84 with taxes.

The prices I'm seeing for the Sheraton hotel on all the discount sites should be $189-219 before taxes. So I figure it can't be all bad for one night. I wanted a hotel close to the beach so we could just hang out and relax a bit before getting on the cruise the next day...but I didn't want to get into the cheapest of the cheap either. Really the super cheap doesn't bother me but hubby's gotten spoiled :o.

From most of the "travelers" photos it looks nice. Professional photos ALWAYS look "excellent" but most of the travelers photos that I've found seem to be pretty nice. A couple of them may be a "little" off but nothing that really freaks me out. EVERY hotel will have SOMEBODY somewhere that will manage to find an imperfection.

Archived