What has PCH changed? Some answers.

Responder, isn't a medley of opinions exactly the purpose of a board such as CC?

wripro, I agree with you.

neviboy, I just read your post. We are sailing on Crystal in November and I will be posting about our experience with the dining by reservation system while we are onboard or just after the cruise is completed.

Finally, our friends in Spain have booked the recent Seabourne ship from Malaga to Ft. lauderdale on Dec. 6th. for 12 nights, at 1200 pounds sterling p.p. ( about US$2000 p.p.) I compared this with the new brochure and a similar Regent is about 50% more !!

Is it actually 50% more when all the amenities-air-excursions-hotel-drinks, etc., are figured in?

You say that you have concern about people new to Regent reading negative posts. If that is the case, you may want to allow people to post what they wish without disputing everything. You can say that you love Regent and think it is the same as it was 5 years ago. Then someone else can post an agreement or opposing view. This would help avoid confrontational threads.

:-)

TC....

I'm sorry if I upset you. It wasn't meant to do that.

In a simple fashion, and this is where we seem to differ, is that it appears that you are either opposed to change or want to keep broadcasting that it is happening, and that's fine if that's what you want to do.

Change is inevitable and that was the thrust of my comment that upset you. Sorry it did that.

My feeling is that we are in for lots of change in every aspect of our lives. Do I like what I see...no..but the only choice I have is at the ballot box in government and with my checkbook(credit card) elsewhere.

What I meant was that if these aformentioned changes occur, and they will, what do I do? Do I stay...do I leave? and if so, where?

A truce please...

I think I need to jump into this though my post will not be filled with concrete data. We go way back with Radisson - all the way to Song of Flower, There was a difficult to define closeness that existed on the ship between crew and passengers. We moved on to Navigator when it entered the fleet and the feeling was still there. It continued with us to the Voyager. We then had a lapse of several years for a variety of reasons. When we went on the Navigator in the Caribbean in 2009 or2010( I can't remember at the moment) it was a totally different experience. It was now under new management.

The dining room was consistently understaffed. They tried their best but it was most challenging for the crew. The cabin steward appeared quite new to the job even though he said he had been on the Navigator for years. The staff from Fort Lauderdale that would come on board were all different. The entertainers we loved like Kenny Smiles were gone. The outstanding lecturers were gone. It was like a whole new cruise line running the ship we were use to.

Now we had a great trip on the Mariner in March because they had a good crew on board with a great chef, GM, and cruise director. But I don't have the same old certainity that my next cruise in November will be as well run. The consistency is not a sure thing.

We love the informality of Regent. We just wish it had the glow and warmth of Radisson. I know this is a bit subjective but it is my experience. We still look forward to many wonderful experiences with Regent if we can continue to afford it.

I think I need to jump into this though my post will not be filled with concrete data. We go way back with Radisson - all the way to Song of Flower, There was a difficult to define closeness that existed on the ship between crew and passengers. We moved on to Navigator when it entered the fleet and the feeling was still there. It continued with us to the Voyager. We then had a lapse of several years for a variety of reasons. When we went on the Navigator in the Caribbean in 2009 or2010( I can't remember at the moment) it was a totally different experience. It was now under new management.

The dining room was consistently understaffed. They tried their best but it was most challenging for the crew. The cabin steward appeared quite new to the job even though he said he had been on the Navigator for years. The staff from Fort Lauderdale that would come on board were all different. The entertainers we loved like Kenny Smiles were gone. The outstanding lecturers were gone. It was like a whole new cruise line running the ship we were use to.

Now we had a great trip on the Mariner in March because they had a good crew on board with a great chef, GM, and cruise director. But I don't have the same old certainity that my next cruise in November will be as well run. The consistency is not a sure thing.

We love the informality of Regent. We just wish it had the glow and warmth of Radisson. I know this is a bit subjective but it is my experience. We still look forward to many wonderful experiences with Regent if we can continue to afford it.

This is a great post - thank you! Kind of sums it all up for me. You never know when a cruise will have that special "warmth". Although we have had many wonderful cruises, more often than not, that special cruise, for us, has been on the Navigator.

The message I am getting from many of the posts on this thread is that Regent is not as good as it used to be prior to the PCH takeover. DW and I are scheduled for back to back Regent cruises in Jan/12 in Asia Pacific -- our 9th and 10th Regent cruises, but our first since sailing on the Paul Gauguin in 2008. Should we be preparing ourselves for a lesser quality experience that we have always enjoyed with Regent in the past?

The message I am getting from many of the posts on this thread is that Regent is not as good as it used to be prior to the PCH takeover. DW and I are scheduled for back to back Regent cruises in Jan/12 in Asia Pacific -- our 9th and 10th Regent cruises, but our first since sailing on the Paul Gauguin in 2008. Should we be preparing ourselves for a lesser quality experience that we have always enjoyed with Regent in the past?

I sincerely hope my last post didn't have anything to do with your getting the impression that Regent has slipped. My last cruise was absolutely the best ever (Mariner June 17, 2011 from Athens - Istanbul). Its just that there is something about the Navigator that is so much more intimate......doesn't make it better, just different. Regent experience is still top notch!

Not necessarily. The Paul Gauguin, as you probably know, was a ship that was managed by Regent. Our first luxury cruise was on the PG and we loved the ship, the crew, etc. However, most people found the Regent-owned ships to be more luxurious than the PG.

Your January/12 cruise will certainly be different than -pre-2008. Whether you find it better or not is really how you look at it. Was Regent all-inclusive when you last sailed with them? Are you sailing to places you have not been previously? All of this plays into the "new" Regent. If you are happy with included airfare, excursions, etc., then you should enjoy your cruise. If, on the other hand, you prefer to arranging your own excursions, you may feel that you are paying for something you are not utilizing.

The ships are better than they were under the previous owner. The staff is generally as good as before. All luxury lines have cut back in some areas. You may find the wine to be a lesser quality than in the past. Prime 7 is new and has amazing crab legs and "some" great steaks. Signatures will be replaced with a new dining venue in 2012. So, there are a lot of positives. I would neither raise or lower my expectations.

Have a wonderful cruise and please do a review when you return.

TC, I'm just back from my Alaska cruise and catching up on the forums. I haven't read this entire thread but I did read sweveral at the beginning -- and all I can say is that you really stretched and reached to stir things up, almost to the point of "over the top". We had a good conversation a few weeks ago, and I thought I had covered most of those things for you. Almost everything you said in this thread is speculation, guesswork and unfounded conclusions based on your overly sensitive nature, and it strongly appears that your only purpose was to disrupt.

C'mon, come back to Earth...

TC, I'm just back from my Alaska cruise and catching up on the forums. I haven't read this entire thread but I did read sweveral at the beginning -- and all I can say is that you really stretched and reached to stir things up, almost to the point of "over the top". We had a good conversation a few weeks ago, and I thought I had covered most of those things for you. Almost everything you said in this thread is speculation, guesswork and unfounded conclusions based on your overly sensitive nature, and it strongly appears that your only purpose was to disrupt.

C'mon, come back to Earth...

Don, here I was. . . so pleased that you were on vacation:-) Actually, DaveFr kind of started this by asking me specific questions. Don't think we should go through it again at this point Let's just say that I have strong beliefs (as you heard when we met).

At the moment, Responder, Rallydave and I are trying some new things that will hopefully work. So, please let the peace stand. . . . it's only been a few hours.

Rather than going backwards, I'm trying to help the recent poster who will be on Regent in 2012. Although you didn't sail on Regent prior to 2008, there are some changes. Hoping that they can find the cruise as enjoyable as in the past.

Please email me and tell me about your cruise. Am anxious to hear about it:-)

Shrinkann said it quite well. The corporate culture trickles down.

Another change is the Cabin Crew: One cabin attendant instead of two. Big difference.

SSS Program has had perks changed and reduced.

Staff is now rotated in from Oceania including from what I have heard - Cruise Director.

Thanks for the clarrification. We will board the Voyager in Jan with the same expectation for the kind of great service, food and experience that Regent has always delivered to us in the past.

We have not cruised with Regent since 2008 for a variety of reasons, but mainly because we did not want to pay the higher sticker price to include shoreEx and air (opting instead for Crystal and Seabourn when booking luxury). However, in the case of our back-to-back Asia Pacific cruises we've booked for January with Regent, we felt the overall price was right and that the air and ShoreEx looked good for this kind of itinerary. We did look at a similar itinerary at a lower price for the Oz-NZ leg with Seabourn, but it was sold out long ago -- an interesting development given that Regent still has available cabins in most categories. So we will be paying particular attention to the shoreEx experience with Regent (as well as the "free" air) to see if it is really worth the extra tarrif.

DaveFr: Okay, I did research on whether or not the Regent and Oceania itineraries were the same to enable them to share talent. I checked a couple of months this year and next year (European/Mediterranean itineraries) and learned that what I thought was happening was not. I read on CruiseCritic recently about sharing talent with Oceania and ships being in port together. Guess this was a coincidence. So, one less thing to agree to disagree about:-)

I am up here at the North Cape and after 2 cruises with Crystal (Symphony in April/May) now aboard Serenity, I am most anxious to get back aboard Regent Mariner in Venice on November 10. Crystal does give great service and the quality of their entertainers is first rate....But I hate signing the chits constantly and the service aboard Regent, as far as I am concerned, is as good as I wish it to be. The dining on Regent is better suited to my taste.....Prime 7 is the best thing going and Signatures is also excellent....Compass rose is equal to any main dining room as far as I am concerned.....We have been pretty regular passengers since our original voyage in 2005 0n the Radisson Voyager....We also have sailed on Seabourn and Silverseas but still always come back to RSSC, especially the Mariner...:cool:

Commodore Dave, I hope my post did not trigger your concerns. As I said we will be back on Regent in December. The changes we have experienced have not discouraged us from sailing on Regent. Without going for a good or bad judgement my husband and I would both say to just be prepared for it "may" be different.

Have a great cruise. We love the area you are doing and did it on Song of Flower some years ago. Enjoy what is in store for you.

I love, love, love lively discourse. Keep it coming, folks. Clash is, to me, interesting. Love to read Regent stalwart defenders like jhp. To her, Regent can do no wrong. Love to read others who think Regent can do no right. All of it not only informs it is entertaining. Far more interesting than some of the idle chitchat one reads on some boards. Onward and upward!

I do not know precisely when PCH came into the picture.

However, I wonder if the nearly 100% increase in the customary single supplement (from 40% to 75%) is a function of the PCH "strategy."

Yes, I know that there are a few sailings with a 50% supplement. But they are very few.

Archived