Canaletto on Formal Night

Jackiealu

Jackiealu

As Jemima stated, smart casual is acceptable in the Canaletto.

We are aware of a gentleman who was asked to go and change from his shorts to long trousers, (we were seated at the next table to them).

We always dress smart casual. Only once did we go in jeans (and saw other in jeans, sweats etc) and we checked before hand and were told anything goes as the ship was overnighting to start the cruise and half the people hadn't boarded yet. Some people we waiting for luggage also.

Canaletto is not part of the Lido. It is located towards the end of the Lido, but it is the Italian venue of the ship.The Lido is the cafeteria restaurant. Formal night is supposed to be observed on the entire ship. Since I've only eaten there on smart casual nights, I don't know if any man would be turned away if they weren't wearing a jacket.

Canaletto is not part of the Lido. It is located towards the end of the Lido, but it is the Italian venue of the ship.The Lido is the cafeteria restaurant. Formal night is supposed to be observed on the entire ship. Since I've only eaten there on smart casual nights, I don't know if any man would be turned away if they weren't wearing a jacket.

I've eaten in the Canaletto on four formal nights (2 on Ryndam, 2 on Eurodam) in the last 14 months. I did not see one person in formal attire on those four occasions. I also did not see anyone in shorts, t-shirt, sweatshirt, etc. Not saying it's always that way, just my personal experience.

As always, YMMV.

Thank you all for the insight on this. We did eat at Canaletto once, but it was not on a formal night, so I was not sure. On our next cruise I will try to make a reservation on a formal night. Happy cruising!

We have eaten several times in Canaletto on formal nights, and everyone was dressed "smart casual". The only time I saw something relating to formal dress was one night in MDR when a man in a polo shirt was given a jacket to wear before he would be seated.

I agree completely. I saw one Tux, and many suits on the last formal night there, Canaletto is NOT the Lido, it is a very nice place with some FANTASTIC food. :)

We're not bringing formal wear for our cruise next week, and we plan on eating in the Canaletto quite a few of the formal nights. It is a smart casual venue. :cool:

Where does it say this? Just wondering, I thought the dress code was supposed to be followed throughout the entire ship during dining hours or something like that?

It has been quite a while since we have seen a HA ship that came close to having ship-wide formal nights. In fact, many in the MDR do not even dress formal these days. For those that want to experience a more formal experience we can recommend doing a crossing on the Queen Mary 2. DW and I do both miss the atmosphere that only comes with a real formal night, but alas, times are changing. In fairness to some folks we should also mention that airline luggage restrictions have contributed to folks not wanting to pack formal clothes.

Hank

We have chosen the Canaletto a number of times on formal nights. We have seen people dressed formally there, but it is not required. Smart casual is fine.

On the Noordam in the Med we were walking through the Lido with the Canaletto Maitre'd to the Canaletto when we observed a woman in a brief bathing suit and flip flops in the evening buffet line. The Maitre 'd looked at her, shook his head and remarked, "Not in my restaurant!" She shouldn't have even been in the Lido without a coverup.

Karen

I believe your post may be somewhat misleading. Or I am not understanding.....

The Lido is offered as an alternative to formal night, so your statement that "Formal Night is supposed to be observed on the entire ship" may give some the impression they are to be formally attired to dine in the Lido.

Never been to Canaletto, so can't comment.

Archived