has CCL fallen that far?

When I first cruised NCL, I found it below CCLs standards.

As each year went by the gap between the two became less and less. NCL seems to be stepping it up a little , while CCL seems to be going in the opposite direction.

I still enjoy my meals on CCL and have never gone hungry on any cruise, but to think there hasn't been a decline is just being blind.

After my last NCL/CCL cruises, I would still give a slight edge to CCL...BUT in the mdr only. NCL's buffet is better (not that it matters much to me, I really can't stand waiting in line for food, so I try to avoid that) and I love, love, love the dining options that NCL offers, even with the surcharge.

One thing I will never get on NCL in the mdr is lobster...CCl and celebrity can do lobster but NCL and RCI can't. The lobster in the specialty restaurants on NCL is fabulous however...

NCL still has more free options than CCL and on sea days they grill out on the pool deck and not just burgers and dogs. You could have your burger, if you wanted but they also were cooking mussles in white wine and garlic and rice stir fry as well as chicken..sometimes they do ribs (my DH specifically looks for these...he thinks they're amazing). I've never seen CCL do anything like that.

DSC07331.jpg

We cruised earlier this year on the Glory and I really didn't notice a decline in food. This was our first cruise in 3yrs and everything was pretty much the same.......food-wise.

We have been on 7 CCL cruises and 2 RCCL and haven't noticed any major differences in food quality.

I did a NCL cruise to Alaska last year and unless to plan on eating at a pay restaurant every night the food was awful! The buffet food sucked and so did the MDR everything was cold and no flavor. I ate in 2 specialty restaurants and they were great though.

I've done 16 Carnival cruises and only had a few issues but IMO Carnival was much better

Regarding the food (and this is all about DINNER options):

As far as the MDR food itself (ambiance and dancing waiters notwithstanding) I prefer Carnival to Celebrity, - without a doubt. I assume that the same can be said for a Carnival to NCL comparison, but we have only dined in specialty restaurants on NCL (after hearing plenty of "so-so" comments about their MDR food), so I can't really say.

Though it should be pointed out that, on ships with specialty dining options, that is where we will eat. It's not that the MDR food is inedible, but one of the MAJOR reasons we cruise is FOOD! When we are on a ship without other options (typically older Carnival ships), then the MDR is adequate. I LOVE the MDR prime rib on Carnival. The same can be said for the "Supreme of Long Island Roast Duckling" or whatever they call it now.

With regard to specialty restaurants - on Celebrity we have tried:Tuscan Grille, Silk Harvest, and Murano. On NCL we have tried: Cagney's, Moderno, Teppanyaki, Epic Club and Shanghai's. On Carnival, at least through the Dream - the only option is the Steakhouse. I must admit that out of all of those I prefer the overall meal on Carnival. Now, there are a couple of great dishes amongst the other lines specialty restaurants - but Carnival takes the cake in overall food quality and taste (in my opinion)!

Now - having said that... It does become boring eating in the Steakhouse on Carnival every night (having done it 30+ times now), so what I appreciate about the other lines is the overall variety.

------------

Enough of DINNER!

Room Service - Carnival can't hold a candle to NCL or Celebrity as far as choices (full meals - including breakfast).

Buffet - well... from what I have seen, I prefer Celebrity over Carnival. Though on NCL (Epic) we never saw the inside of the buffet restaurant, which leads me to:

OTHER food options - NCL takes the prize here with their 24 hour sports bar/pub option (known as Blue Lagoon or similar on most of their ships or O'Sheehan's on the Epic). There you can get, at no extra charge, MEAT LOAF (lol :D), Buffalo Wings, Fish&Chips, Chicken Pot Pie and numerous other great comfort foods. I can't say enough about that place!

O'Sheehan's description from the NCL website:

This place is so inviting, everyone here really may eventually know your name. Dine on American classics as well as your favorite comfort foods, served 24 hours a day. Watch sporting events on multiple flat screen televisions. Up for something more than mere spectator sports? O’Sheehan’s also has three lanes of bowling, dart boards, pool tables, foosball and arcade games.

These pics of the menu speak for themselves (thanks to Dan Askin, associate editor CC):

i-jH923Cs-XL.jpg

i-SSnN3Kt-XL.jpg

(Yes, the floats and shakes are an extra charge :) )

Tom

When NCL cutback from Coke products to Pepsi, my interest in NCL cutback, too. :D I may still sail on them from time to time, but they aren't my first choice.

I didn't care for the wings I had on NCL, but maybe they have improved.

To tell you the truth - I much preferred the wings on the NCL Sky (very "Buffalo like") as compared to those on the Epic (more a baked wing).

I used to prefer Mtn. Dew... then Diet Mtn. Dew... now it's just water (no tea, coffee etc..) - well there is the occasional alcoholic beverage, but that's another topic entirely!

Tom

No need to pay extra to obtain edible food such as one needs to do on NCL. Also no need to make reservations or to be told, sorry, sold out this evening.

Our last cruise was on NCL, and I worried about this being true. But it wasn't! We ate all dinners except one in the MDR, where the food and service were both excellent. Our one specialty restaurant experience was in the Tex-Mex restaurant for $10 apiece, and it, too, was excellent.

There's no need to pay extra to obtain edible food on NCL!

Just got off the Valor last week, and cruised NCL before.

Overall, the food on the Valor was better, except breakfast...NCL had way more food to choose from and it was just better lol. Dinner was very good and lunch was different every day!

That being said, NCL's surcharge restaurants are very good, but we were very pleased with Carnival's food :)

We were on that cruise too! I didn't have any issues with the food or the service.

Unless CCL's food as taken a nose-dive since February, I can't say I agree.

I've found the food to be subjective to who's preparing it. I've had great food and terrible food on NCL. I've had great food and tolerable food on CCL.

And as for the meatloaf and fried chicken, it's interesting to see CCL chasing the "comfort food done up" trend, even more interesting to see people's reaction to it. Beef Stew, Meatloaf, Mac-and-Cheese, and Fried Chicken done on a higher level are staples in many contemporary four-star restaurants. Turn on any cooking show with either chefs or chef wannabees and someone is re-inventing Mac-and-Cheese by putting shrimps or truffles in it. Beef Stew is being prepared with Wagu beef and red wine. Fried Chicken skins are a delicacy.

Although we've only sailed with Princess twice, it is our favorite cruise line. I've been happy with the food on Carnival, but the entertainment doesn't begin to compare with NCL and Princess.

Wow I thought the entertainment on Princess to be lacking.

When we cruised with Princess in September 09' to Alaska they repeated the shows in the venues 2 days in a row.

I have read that a lot of CCL's entertainment has been stripped down to the bare bones with nights with newlywed game instead of entertainment and pax entertaining instead of the regular shows.

Bill

Elcuhio- Its true....there is a recent post (i cannot recall the others that actually had the meatloaf and fried chicken and posted photos of it) but if you look down to "1st time carnival cruisers....Valor...by hockeygirl you will see she had the fried chicken for dinner.

Snowball- Your right the quality of meat has been drastically cut...Seafood was always decent (I not seafood person) I have to admit that is true...

I totally disagree with you that RC is on par with Carnival no way!! We even took a 4 night cruise on the small Monarch of the Seas in December and I have to say NO COMPARISON to the Fascination that we took about 5 months prior to this RC cruise. I won't sail Carnival again until they get their act better. But again your right, it all depends on how we all eat at home.....I not eat fast food type foods or low quality meats....and when I am on a cruise if I can't eat like I eat at home or better I not go and this is why on the bottom of my post you will see I taking RC next month and not Carnival.

I do admit, specialty restaurants are so much better...

There is fried chicken for sure. There is NOT meatloaf. For sure.

I think what happens is that the more you go on one cruiseline or the other, you get used to the menu. It doesn't WOW you anymore.

Some people like predictability in a menu, some hate it.

The cruiseline is torn in between allowing the Chef of a certain ship make the menu his (or her) own, or making all the ships menus the same.

I hear these complaints, and then try and scratch the surface...

"I have been on Carnival three times in the last three yeas and the food just gets worse every year". Maybe they are just getting bored with the choices?

Most great Restaurants have the same trouble. Some people like to come back for the "classic" menu choices, but some look for something new and exciting.

On every cruise I've been on there have been foods that I liked and foods that I didn't like. Some of the things I liked, DH didn't, and some of the things I didn't like, he did. FOOD is SUBJECTIVE. If you don't like something then ask for something else...on a cruise you can keep asking for something else until you find what you like.

I sail a cruiseline for many reasons: price, itinerary, embarkation port, and to sail on certain ships. I don't sail a cruiseline for the food, service, or entertainment. Why? Because all opinions in these areas are subjective and can vary from table to table, room to room, ship to ship, and cruiseline to cruiseline.

In the end the only person whose opinion matters is your own. If you don't like the food it's up to you to ask for something different. If you don't like the service then its up to you to make your complaints known to the proper people on the ship. And if you don't like the entertainment then it's up to you to walk out and find something else to do that you enjoy. Cruiselines can not please everyone with their food and entertainment...we all have different tastes and preferences. And yes sometimes you will catch a server or room steward with a bad day or even week...that's called being human.

But let me say this....I've cruised CCL, NCL, and DCL and I've never had poor service on any of these lines...In fact our best service was on our last CCL cruise last November. If I had food I didn't like (which I have had on NCL and CCL) the waiters would insist on getting me something different until I found something I did like. And as for entertainment....IMHO DCL tops all followed by NCL then CCL. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the entertainment on CCL...It's just not always to may taste and I don't expect it always to be. Other people really love it and that's what makes the world go around. In my opinion, CCL has not fallen at all. I still think it is a great value for my money. Others don't agree....that's their opinion and their entitled to it. Doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

I truly wish those that feel that Carnival is declining would stop trying to make the rest of us look like lower class citizens just because we don't agree with their sentiment that Carnival is evolving to a lower standard. Is Carnival changing....Yes. Is it for better or worse....That is a matter of opinion. And my opinion is based on my experience and my tastes and is just as valid as anyone elses.

I think what happens is that the more you go on one cruiseline or the other, you get used to the menu. It doesn't WOW you anymore.

Some people like predictability in a menu, some hate it.

The cruiseline is torn in between allowing the Chef of a certain ship make the menu his (or her) own, or making all the ships menus the same.

I hear these complaints, and then try and scratch the surface...

"I have been on Carnival three times in the last three yeas and the food just gets worse every year". Maybe they are just getting bored with the choices?

Most great Restaurants have the same trouble. Some people like to come back for the "classic" menu choices, but some look for something new and exciting.

I also think there is a generational shift regarding food that is effecting the hospitality industry as a whole. If you look at your more established fine dining establishments, they have largely been working off an established menu (usually with specials) that has very classical preparations and presentations. A lot of the newer, less established fine dining restaurants have less traditional fine dining menus (as in the current comfort-food-done-up trend) or traditional flavor-profiles in non-traditional presentations (such as molecular gastronomy). Some people simply prefer the more traditional set up and thus are confounded by why anyone would want to eat Marcus Samuelson's friend chicken or Wylie Defrense's Eggs Benedict when they could have Eric Ripert's lobster and asparagus.

Just wondering your thoughts and again this is the CCL board so I'll take that into consideration also.;)

Bill

l

Did my first Carnival cruise last April on the Liberty and the food wasn't anything to brag about. We actually looked forward to good meals after the cruise. It wasn't horrible. It was merely nourishing and kept us alive to enjoy the cruise. The Steakhouse wasn't anything like the hype either.

If a friend was into decent food and thought of trying Carnival, I would not recommend it. If food isn't a big deal, I definitely recommend Carnival.

Everyone here says Carnivals food is better then other lines and thats sad. I guess all major cruise lines had mediocre food. I dont cruise for the food in particular but if it was any less quality, it would affect my cruise. Like I said, me and my GF were already wanting to go out to dinner as soon as we got home to have something nice.

Some others on the same cruise thought the food was incredible. It all depends on what you are used to,.

l

...The Steakhouse wasn't anything like the hype either.

From a single sampling (or two), it can be hard to come to a valid conclusion. We have had a few meals in the Steakhouse which were nothing to write home about. We have tried everything on the menu, and have learned what to avoid for the most part. Overall though, it's a very good upgrade from the MDR.

I like meatloaf...

Tom

l

Everyone here says Carnivals (its a Carnival cheerleader board afterall) food is better then other lines and thats sad. the other lines must be serving prison food.

Well, I did once have a steak on NCL that looked like it had been cut with a hack saw ...

Well, I did once have a steak on NCL that looked like it had been cut with a hack saw ...

Kind of like the Ribeyes I picked up at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago (since I was there anyway). They REALLY looked "butchered"! :eek: Nonetheless, I gave them a try. I realized after tasting them that I should've at least gone to Publix for the meat! ;)

Out of curiosity, when I was there a few days ago (picking up some bulk/dry items), I went back to the meat case and noted that their steaks have a "solution" (of up to 5% or something) added for either tenderizing or flavoring.

So -- even though this has NOTHING to do with Carnival cruises - when you buy steaks, make sure it's only MEAT that you are buying! :D

Tom

Kind of like the Ribeyes I picked up at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago (since I was there anyway). They REALLY looked "butchered"! :eek: Nonetheless, I gave them a try. I realized after tasting them that I should've at least gone to Publix for the meat! ;)

Out of curiosity, when I was there a few days ago (picking up some bulk/dry items), I went back to the meat case and noted that their steaks have a "solution" (of up to 5% or something) added for either tenderizing or flavoring.

So -- even though this has NOTHING to do with Carnival cruises - when you buy steaks, make sure it's only MEAT that you are buying! :D

Tom

Well, I think it depends. There is a "wet aging" technique in which the meet is vacuum sealed with it's natural juices. It tends to cut down on the shrinkage meat experiences during dry aging and some people prefer it as they find it to be more sanitary. (Dry aging means meat sits in a climate controlled room until it's "aged" and then the sides are butchered. The hardened stuff gets tossed out.)

So check the labeling and see if it's dry-aged or if it's been injected or "pre-marinated". ;)

Was on the Dawn last December, thought the food was very good.

Was on Carnival Glory, this past February, food was also very good.

Did not try any speciality rest. on Glory but did

the Steakhouse on the Dawn. Would go again

in a heartbeat, dinner was excellent!!

JMHO

Do a HAL cruise out of here and you will notice a difference...

Doing NCL Dawn with a bunch of people next 11-11-12 out of here...I live for specialty restaurants....Join us....

I used to love it when Celebrity cruised out of here....I have one word...

Yuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........................

Unfortunately over the past few years to me Carnival's food has slipped....

So check the labeling and see if it's dry-aged or if it's been injected or "pre-marinated". ;)

Yep - trust me, just like the side of ribs I bought there once, they add the solution to the meat, not for aging -- but perhaps for increasing the shelf life/tenderizing AND/OR to add cheap weight and basically charge you $9/lb for salt water!

Dry aging usually gives a more intense flavor, and a more tender steak thanks to the enzymatic breakdown of the tissue. When they cut off the tougher outer layer, they will occasionally trim away some funk which has grown there as well! :eek:

:D

Tom

I have reviews of pax that have come back and say the food has gone downhill in the last couple of years.

I was also reading on the NCL board how most prefer the food on NCL to CCL.

I havent been on NCL for a long time because the food was very bad and have always been afraid to repeat that and I have always been happy with CCL's food but it's been almost a year since we were on CCL.

I also understand that some on each board are cheerleaders and they could be fed dog food and say it's good rather than disparage their favorite line.

Just wondering your thoughts and again this is the CCL board so I'll take that into consideration also.;)

Bill

We did a Princess cruise in 2009 and enjoyed what I think is THE BEST food I've ever had on any cruise ship, period. It was amazing. In 2010 we tried the Valor. I found the food marginal. Breakfast was so-so in the buffet, the chocolate melting cake was great but everything else was only ok. Then we did the Destiny in the fall of 2010. I had the flat iron steak and found it to be the worst cut of meat that I've ever been served in any restaurant in my life.

In March we went on the Liberty. The breakfast food in the buffet was terrible. Soaking wet eggs, cold bacon and cold bread that they call toast. It really was bad. The MDR food was hit or miss and DW actually sent 2 meals back that were unacceptably cold. One night I thought I'd try the flat iron steak but our waiter advised against it. "Its not very good" < -- His words, not mine.

When we got off the Liberty we rated the food as disappointing which is why we're off to try NCL next year after a quick 4 day on the Majesty of the Seas in the fall.

Archived