has CCL fallen that far?

We were last on Carnival Freedom in Dec. 09. Food was great! We went on NCL to Hawaii July 10, food was just O.K. Our favorite food thus far has been on Disney, but it has been a long time since we have been on a Disney ship. It could have changed. Disney is a class above the rest in our opinion, but you play for it! I will say that I believe steaks were better on the Freedom in Europe (07) than our trip on the Freedom in (09). I'll let you know about 7/11 as we are leaving in 2 days!!!

When we got off the Liberty we rated the food as disappointing which is why we're off to try NCL next year after a quick 4 day on the Majesty of the Seas in the fall.

No to quibble, but I don't think you're going to be on NCL. Majesty of the Seas in an RCL ship, I believe.

(And the Norwegian Majesty got sold out to a French line and subsequently hit by a rogue wave off the coast of Europe.)

No to quibble, but I don't think you're going to be on NCL. Majesty of the Seas in an RCL ship, I believe.

(And the Norwegian Majesty got sold out to a French line and subsequently hit by a rogue wave off the coast of Europe.)

You might want to reread the post you quoted... not to quibble :D

As I said before, I like fried chicken, and would love it as an alternative meal on the dining room menu. I also would have a hard time justifying paying for a specialty restaurant a few times during a cruise on NCL, or any other line. It took me a year of arguing with dh to try Palo's on Disney. It took me 5 years to get dh to make a reservation for the Steakhouse (on Dream- and I missed it due to dd getting ill, and she and I being left in Belize!). To dd and myself, dining room food is still way above what I make at home. (and yes, I am proud to admit that!)

Might want to reread their post again.

To dd and myself, dining room food is still way above what I make at home. (and yes, I am proud to admit that!)

:) That would definitely make a difference in one's opinion :)

My menu tonight:

Maple Champagne panko pork chops, Havarti mac and cheese and julienned zucchini and carrots

last night: wasabi/ginger pan seared scallops, garlic mash and roasted broccoli

I'm more difficult to please on a ship :eek: ;)

That's why I like the surcharge restaurants....

This is why in my opinion CCL isn't the same as they used to be. Years ago I'd be on these boards raving about CCL food...and when I rave about food, it is usually pretty freaking awesome.

Now, CCL food tastes more like banquet food to me. A lot of that may just be for the simple fact that she ships are now much bigger...

:) That would definitely make a difference in one's opinion :)

My menu tonight:

Maple Champagne panko pork chops, Havarti mac and cheese and julienned zucchini and carrots

last night: wasabi/ginger pan seared scallops, garlic mash and roasted broccoli

I'm more difficult to please on a ship :eek: ;)

That's why I like the surcharge restaurants....

Do you cater to Long Island - I'll pay the shipping fees!:p

I can't compare to other cruise lines, because I've only cruised with Carnival. But in my opinion, since my first cruise in 2000 (or maybe it was 99), the quality of the food has decreased. As mentioned, the quality in cuts of meat offered has gone from a NY Strip to a Flat Iron "steak". TGI Fridays offers a flat iron steak. I don't want TGI Fridays, I want quality. The selections have certainly been lowered. It's no longer what you'd find on a fine dining menu. Meatloaf & fried chicken? While they're great home style favorites, they don't belong on a fine dining menu. On my first cruise, I remember the food in the dining room being outstanding. I even enjoyed the food on the buffet. I came home raving about the food. It seems with each subsequent cruise, the food has slipped lower & lower. The only outstanding meal on my last cruise in 2008 was in the steakhouse. So we had to pay $30 each to have excellent food. Everything in the MDR, meh, OK. I don't recall having any entree in the MDR where I just thought wow, I want a second one of these! We tried the buffet one day & most things were left on my plate after 1 plate. I'd maybe categorize it as the same level as the Golden Corral. Maybe.

I suppose if TGI Fridays or Applebees is a treat to you & a great meal, then you'd be impressed by what they serve in the MDR these days. If you think Old Country Buffet or the Golden Corral have great food, you'll enjoy the buffet. I really think it's just all about your expectations.

:) I do love to cook..it's genetic. I'm Italian. :D

Well, it sure beats the Lean Cuisine we eat 3-4x a week for dinner!:p After eating that stuff a few times, no wonder CCL food looks/tastes so good to us!;)

It is interesting that a theme in this thread is that new cruisers think the food is largely good. The complaints come from those with a longer history of cruising.

I wonder if the novelty just wears off after a while.

Your first cruise is just so awesome. Every night you sit down to to a four or five course dinner with many options you have never had before. Snails, cold strawberry soup, lava cake. A cheese course. lunch is almost any option you can think of - salads, mexican food, sushi, a deli, pizza 24/7. Even breakfast is a treat - bacon, ham, sausage, eggs, omeletts. waffles, pancakes, fruits, cereals. I am not sure what you can want for breakfast that is not availale virtually every day,.

Your second and third cruise it starts to look familiar. You remember having the short ribs before and liked them just as much this time.

By your fifth cruise, nothing is new anymore. If it is tuesday it must be lobster tails. The same burrito bar at lunch. Why do they have the same things for breakfast every day? How many times can you eat eggs benedictt Even the lava cake - well, maybe not the lava cake. I know people that have it every night for desert.

Is it surprising that the perception is that the food is no longer as good as it use to be?

I noticed on our twelve day cruise a few years ago, that by the 9th or 10th day people were less enthusiastic about the meals. Was it a difference in the food, or was it we were numbed by the same levels of variety each night.

Well, it sure beats the Lean Cuisine we eat 3-4x a week for dinner!:p After eating that stuff a few times, no wonder CCL food looks/tastes so good to us!;)

The benefit of Lean Cuisine is you can look in the mirror at yourself without cringing....when you like your own cooking, well.....you tend to be on the fluffy side :D

I noticed on our twelve day cruise a few years ago, that by the 9th or 10th day people were less enthusiastic about the meals. Was it a difference in the food, or was it we were numbed by the same levels of variety each night.

Because of the variety of venues offered on NCL, I did not run into that on my 14/15 day cruises. I would LOVE for CCL to do something similar (different restaurants) on any new ships.

I have a 15 day on CCL coming up.....I know it will be a little tiresome in the dining room all those nights so while docked at the islands, we will eat off the ship. That will mix it up for us.

Just returned from the July 2nd Carnival Dream sailing and my wife and I thought the food was great. Food is so subjective, ten people can eat the same thing and all have a different opinion. Parents returned from two RCCL cruises in the last year and were complaining how they're going downhill and that Carnival is better. To each there own.

It is interesting that a theme in this thread is that new cruisers think the food is largely good. The complaints come from those with a longer history of cruising.

I wonder if the novelty just wears off after a while.

Your first cruise is just so awesome. Every night you sit down to to a four or five course dinner with many options you have never had before. Snails, cold strawberry soup, lava cake. A cheese course. lunch is almost any option you can think of - salads, mexican food, sushi, a deli, pizza 24/7. Even breakfast is a treat - bacon, ham, sausage, eggs, omeletts. waffles, pancakes, fruits, cereals. I am not sure what you can want for breakfast that is not availale virtually every day,.

Your second and third cruise it starts to look familiar. You remember having the short ribs before and liked them just as much this time.

By your fifth cruise, nothing is new anymore. If it is tuesday it must be lobster tails. The same burrito bar at lunch. Why do they have the same things for breakfast every day? How many times can you eat eggs benedictt Even the lava cake - well, maybe not the lava cake. I know people that have it every night for desert.

Is it surprising that the perception is that the food is no longer as good as it use to be?

Some of this likely plays a role - though it does take those with a longer history to know what the past was like as well. I recall chargers on the tables at dinner way back. I also recall more silverware (set more formally). That has changed. I also seem to recall more courses on the menu - perhaps it just the way the menu layout has changed. It seems (here is where the "newness" factor may come in) that the presentation used to be a notch higher compared to now (queue the photo of fried chicken).

Oh well ... you cannot step twice into the same river!!

Tom

I don't know how much of it is getting tired of the same thing. Going from a NY Strip to a flat iron steak is a downgrade in product. I look forward to my favorite dishes on a cruise. I'm one of those people that almost always orders the same thing at a restaurant. I go to Morton's 4-6 times a year & I can tell you that the creamed spinach & filet are still as delicious as they were the 1st time I had them. The thought of the steakhouse makes me salivate! I really don't think it's burnout or losing luster, as much as a downgrade in quality. We no longer have beef wellington on the menu, but we have fried chicken?

Tom - funny that you mention things this way. I told DH at the end of our cruise last week, well - it's time to try another line again. We mostly cruise CCL; but have taken a few others and we always come back to CCL for many reasons and we will continue to cruise CCL. It USED to be the best value; but now (IMHO) they have become just CHEAP. I agree with FARLER - that there is a grave difference in cuts of meat. I USED to love the Tom Turkey.

I USED to be served 4 slices of roasted turkey. This past time on the Dream - I received a lump of silly putty. It was absolutely awful! I agree with you, Tom - that the first couple of cruises are just downright fabulous; but at the same time - this was our 22nd CCL cruise, and I've only noticed the difference in the past 3 cruises we have taken. Now, I realize that is NOT nearly as many as you and Cheryl (and I always value your comments).

One other thing that I will mention that was really, really a disappointment to me personally.

I was NEVER, NOT ONCE greeted with "welcome back Mr. & Mrs. Link" - even after they viewed my S&S card. Now, they may not mean a lot to some; but I had just commented on a thread a couple of weeks ago about how somehow that greeting just makes me feel special.

Not by our cabin steward, not by the MDR host, not even by the Maitre'd. Just a silly little perk that wouldn't cost CCL a thing (or any other cruiser) and they could not even accomplish that......................

My two cents.

Archived