has CCL fallen that far?

Or NCL for that matter, lovely ships with a ton of character!

I think so too...They are pretty.

Having sailed on RCI once though, all I can say is WOW...the ship was stunning. Sadly, I wasn't impressed with the cruise itself all that much.

Overall, I have enjoyed Carnival's food options. It's not the peak of my gourmet experiences but they have hit many nice high notes and very few low ones. We have only sailed NCL once but felt the food was lackluster to the occasional "hideous". The main dining room was passable to bad and the buffet was okay to bad. That cruised marked the ONLY time we have passed on the main dining room for dinner, choosing the buffet instead. The desserts were especially atrocious and seemed to all come from the "Jello" school of craftmanship. Cheesecake? Jello cheesecake. Mousse? Gelationous Jello mousse.

Of course, this is based on a single NCL trip threeish years ago but it was bad enough to cause us to mark NCL off our cruising options and 'Food' rates only moderately on our grading metric for cruising, but that score was low enough to bring the overall product way, way down for us.

Have been only on CCL and just 2 ships at that and both times I can say we had fun and the food was great - not what people normally eat in a week when back home makes things different. But I can see if people cruise alot it could get boring - like anything else.

Lots of MDR menus and food pictures from a recent Carnival cruise:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/MENUS/index.htm

Quality and variety was excellent. No need to pay extra to obtain edible food such as one needs to do on NCL. Also no need to make reservations or to be told, sorry, sold out this evening.

So I guess you never eat in the Steakhouse/pay the money to do it....

I love pay for restaurants on ships because you get upper end food instead of Chili's, TGIF's or Bennigan's or KFC....

Eat where you want and enjoy...I'll eat where I prefer....;)

I love pay for restaurants on ships because you get upper end food instead of Chili's, TGIF's or Bennigan's or KFC....

With some people, it seems more "the point" of it - and in spite of ample reasons why they might occasionally want to "give in", they have already drawn their own line in the sand.

For those people, you can either be impressed at their dedication or ... well... not!

I had a friend in college (Gainesville) who made a point never to travel a toll road. He was not going to "be taken" like that when there were plenty of "free" roads around. Never mind that it took him an extra hour or so in some cases to reach his destination! He drove an older Volvo, and told me that he would not waste the money on a new one. Over a decade has passed, and I wonder if he still drives the same car -- or if the wheels eventually fell off! ;)

Tom

I think the concern is the trending away from the "all inclusive food" on cruises. You used to get the option of a good steak every night in the main dining room. Now you can only get the flat iron. What is next - only lobster in the specialty restaurant? more and more limited choices for free and syphoning off the better items into the pay venues?

A high end change of pace is one thing. But keep the MDR as a good dining experience. If the trend extends to an ultimate conclusion of "buffet or pay" - or worse - I think a lot of people will be very unhappy.

I think the concern is the trending away from the "all inclusive food" on cruises. You used to get the option of a good steak every night in the main dining room. Now you can only get the flat iron. What is next - only lobster in the specialty restaurant? more and more limited choices for free and syphoning off the better items into the pay venues?

A high end change of pace is one thing. But keep the MDR as a good dining experience. If the trend extends to an ultimate conclusion of "buffet or pay" - or worse - I think a lot of people will be very unhappy.

It is the way Carnival is goimg along with other lines....

Carnival every time you turn around is adding pay for options....Soon some of the cheerleaders around here are gonna be peeved....

Just like smokers...;)

I have reviews of pax that have come back and say the food has gone downhill in the last couple of years.

I was also reading on the NCL board how most prefer the food on NCL to CCL.

I havent been on NCL for a long time because the food was very bad and have always been afraid to repeat that and I have always been happy with CCL's food but it's been almost a year since we were on CCL.

I also understand that some on each board are cheerleaders and they could be fed dog food and say it's good rather than disparage their favorite line.

Just wondering your thoughts and again this is the CCL board so I'll take that into consideration also.;)

Bill

Carnival's entertainment now the worst in the bisiness due to thier cost cutting cheapness

I really don't care if you agree with it or not but you can bet that I am more spot on than not. ;) If you took offense then I must have hit close to home with that comment.;)

Sorry to disappoint you, I did not take offense. You can be as rude as you wish to, that is your issue.

With some people, it seems more "the point" of it - and in spite of ample reasons why they might occasionally want to "give in", they have already drawn their own line in the sand.

Tom

I know (and cruise with) a person or two who feel that way.

I am booking an NCL cruise that is going to cost $114 pp/pd for a balcony cabin (mid ship)...fabulous itinerary.

Paying extra to eat restaurant style food as opposed to banquet food won't be a hardship on top of that cruise fare.

It's a perfect scenerio..I get to mold my cruise to my taste and budget....I don't get why some people balk at this :confused:

. . .

It's a perfect scenerio..I get to mold my cruise to my taste and budget....I don't get why some people balk at this :confused:

What? You mean you won't come back with a torch and march alongside the rest of the "nickel and dime" folks?? Sheesh what fun are you??

:D . . . . :D . . . . :D . . . . :D

<< hug to halos >>

Ya' know, all this chat about CCL standards falling, and better food elsewhere had me thinking about switching from the Breeze during Christmas 2012 (which I had been looking to book) to the Oasis or Epic. (go big or go home!) I just priced Oasis, and a comparing cabins apples to apples would cost me over $2,000 more for a one day shorter cruise. (2 cabins) While I would love to try a new line, I can't rationalize spending that much more, and I definitely will not give up my balcony to do so. Will have to wait a few years until I retire, and can jump on cheaper sailings.:( I agree with everyone - variety is the spice of life. Will just have to wait a bit longer to experience it!:) (or you could all chip in, and for $25,000 I can get the skyloft cabin for that sailing!:D)

What? You mean you won't come back with a torch and march alongside the rest of the "nickel and dime" folks?? Sheesh what fun are you??

. . . . . . . . . . . .

<< hug to halos >>

{{{{{hugs}}}}} backatcha (hey...I just booked the Sun for 2013...care to join?? :D)

I agree with everyone - variety is the spice of life. :D)

It certainly is!!

I find I enjoy CCL more, if I cruise other lines in between. It at least freshens it up for me :)

Carnival food on Lido and MDR has fell from Good to just OK.

They want you in Pay Venues. Food is Good there, not Great. Need to make Pay Venues child free. Nothing like a screaming baby, or kids gone wild.

They want you in Pay Venues. Food is Good there, not Great. Need to make Pay Venues child free. Nothing like a screaming baby, or kids gone wild.

There are really only 2 pay venues - the Steakhouse and Chef's Table, and not all ships even have them. And it is hard to get a reservation unless you know about CC, and reserve beforehand. It is a very limited # of cruisers who get to eat there. I don't count Red Frog, as it is only on one ship as of now, and only has munchies - though I don't doubt Liberty is going to get a Red Frog when she goes into Oct. drydock. So maybe CCL does need something like a "Johnny Rockets" or "Olive Garden" type restaurant to satisfy those who want a different dining experience.

There are really only 2 pay venues - the Steakhouse and Chef's Table, and not all ships even have them. And it is hard to get a reservation unless you know about CC, and reserve beforehand. It is a very limited # of cruisers who get to eat there. I don't count Red Frog, as it is only on one ship as of now, and only has munchies - though I don't doubt Liberty is going to get a Red Frog when she goes into Oct. drydock. So maybe CCL does need something like a "Johnny Rockets" or "Olive Garden" type restaurant to satisfy those who want a different dining experience.

Isn't the Liberty dry-dock the one where John is trying to build excitement (that it his job anyway, lol) by holding back (STILL) on the details? I wonder if they will announce it before November! ;)

Tom

Child free isn't going to happen.

Magic also has Cucina del Captiano. Spent 21 days on the ship and never tried it once. The food in the MDR was excellent. Did the steakhouse once, but only because it was a present to us.

Only tried the RedFrog to take some pictures. Have no need for the Chef's Table.

Ran out of days before running out of FREE venues for lunch options - ok - some were so good I did them more than once.

... Spent 21 days on the ship ...

Ran out of days before running out of FREE venues for lunch options - ok - some were so good I did them more than once.

This post is not directed to the SGT, as he does not see me - thanks to his purportedly utilizing the IGNORE feature where I am concerned!

... so can ANYONE else answer this: I would think that THREE WEEKS on any ship (Carnival included) would be more than ample time to hit each (FREE) lunch venue. :eek:

Granted, there were likely many ports - which would have meant that a large % of people were OFF SHIP during lunch, giving a little bit of an "out" to 21 days not being sufficient --- as was the comment that some places were visited more than once!

I am not trying to be picky, but the statement implies that there are MANY lunch options. Are we considering the buffet to be composed to several different venues (wok, deli, grille, pizza, etc...)? I will give you those few. What are all the others? :confused:

Tom

:D . . . . :D . . . . :D . . . . :D

Yes, you have to love that blanket "defense" statement used by some of the dyed-in-the-wool cruisers here! :D

Tom

I have cruised on Carnival twice in the past two years and Princess once. I did not care for the food on Princess. We LOVE Carnivals food. We have always had great service, and I always tip the servers well. :)

Archived