Norwegian Cruise Line to Stamp Out In-Cabin Smoking

LauraS

The only problem is, more folks will be smoking on their balconies, which is no picnic for those of us who don't smoke and don't like it. On our last cruise, we kept having to close the balcony door (1 a.m., 3 a.m., etc) because the folks upwind would be smoking and coughing. Lines really need to offer no-smoking rooms with no smoking balconies.

The only problem is, more folks will be smoking on their balconies, which is no picnic for those of us who don't smoke and don't like it. On our last cruise, we kept having to close the balcony door (1 a.m., 3 a.m., etc) because the folks upwind would be smoking and coughing. Lines really need to offer no-smoking rooms with no smoking balconies.

Agree completely!!

As a smoker I approve of eliminating it from the cabins. Even I can't stand a room that reeks of smoke.

You shouldn't have your balcony door open anyways.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4370

There is no official rule in place, however:

"...they [the cruiselines] try to discourage passengers from leaving balcony doors open, as it can impact the ship's climate control...

...you may be affecting the comfort of other passengers."

Really? Well little do you know that most smokers always smoke on their balcony anyway instead of their cabin. Also there are already lines that will accomodate non smokers. Instead of complaining - do a little research!!

Yeah, I guess, but it really does no good as long as they can still smoke on their balconies.. And to whoever said we should do research and not complain, I like everything else about NCL, so I'll continue to send my weekly emails to them about banning smoking on the balconies & keep my fingers crossed it happens.

Yeah, I guess, but it really does no good as long as they can still smoke on their balconies.. And to whoever said we should do research and not complain, I like everything else about NCL, so I'll continue to send my weekly emails to them about banning smoking on the balconies & keep my fingers crossed it happens.

And I will continue sending e-mails saying there are not enough places to smoke. There are lines that ban smoking on balconies and in rooms....why not try one?

THANK YOU for making this topic a sticky, as major policy changes sometimes erupt into threads of pointing fingers and lack of civility. If there was a way to make this thread more noticeable like all CAPS or posted as the last sticky closest to the current threads? Some folks don't even notice the stickys since they don't change that often and read past them.

THANK YOU for making this topic a sticky, as major policy changes sometimes erupt into threads of pointing fingers and lack of civility. If there was a way to make this thread more noticeable like all CAPS or posted as the last sticky closest to the current threads? Some folks don't even notice the stickys since they don't change that often and read past them.

Not sure if this will be different,but these policy change stickies usually stay up on top about a day, then just slip down with the regular post.

And I will do the same except keep cig smoking ALLOWED on the balconies :)

We are (unfortunately) smokers.... AND..... we support NCL's decision no-smoking policy 100%. We have sailed on other cruise lines and not being allowed to smoke in our cabins has never posed a problem for us.

Even in public spaces where smoking is allowed, be it on board ship or ashore, we are always aware of non-smokers who may also wish to enjoy and share the same space; we either don't smoke or limit our smoking.

As a matter of fact, many of our friends are non-smokers and we wouldn't dream of smoking in their homes, nor do we smoke in our home when our non-smoking friends come over to visit with us.

It's all about common sense, good manners, consideration and respect for others and, of course, respecting the venue's rules on non-smoking policy.

Back in the late '90's you could be assured of nonsmoking cabins and balconies IIRC if you booked a cabin on the port side. Perhaps they should go back to that system to make smokers AND nonsmokers happy.

Or...just remember that Princess Cruises had a major fire awhile back that was directly attributed to balcony smoking.....

Even in public spaces where smoking is allowed, be it on board ship or ashore, we are always aware of non-smokers who may also wish to enjoy and share the same space; we either don't smoke or limit our smoking.

It's all about common sense, good manners, consideration and respect for others and, of course, respecting the venue's rules on non-smoking policy.

and i as a non-smoker APPRECIATE YOU and PEOPLE LIKE YOU VERY MUCH;)

THANK YOU!!

And I will continue sending e-mails saying there are not enough places to smoke. There are lines that ban smoking on balconies and in rooms....why not try one?

Only NCL have an itinerary equivalent to POA - there is no alternative except not visit Hawaii.

A

It is inevitable that some smoker will start a major fire on some balcony, as happened at Princess, and smoking will then be banned from balconies.

Or...just remember that Princess Cruises had a major fire awhile back that was directly attributed to balcony smoking.....

Better redo you research and you will find that the cause was never actually determined. "A smoldering cigarette is suspected as the cause of the blaze".

If you are truly concerned about fire, a moving ship is probably not a really good place to be since most are started in the engine room and it's pretty hard to move a ship without an engine. I'd be just as concerned if not more so, about the folks that insist on bringing their heavy duty hairdryers, their clothes steamers, their wonderful octopus' of power bars, extension cords etc, I've heard some claim to bring candles for romantic dinners in their cabins and one even brag about bringing a light bulb that was way over wattage to what the light fixture in his cabin would allow.

Smokers are actually twice as careful as normal on a ship because contrary to what appears to be popular belief they don't want to be on a burning ship any more than you do.

As a smoker I approve of eliminating it from the cabins. Even I can't stand a room that reeks of smoke.

You shouldn't have your balcony door open anyways.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4370

There is no official rule in place, however:

"...they [the cruiselines] try to discourage passengers from leaving balcony doors open, as it can impact the ship's climate control...

...you may be affecting the comfort of other passengers."

Interesting quote, ("...you may be affecting the comfort of other passengers"), doesn't the same hold true for smoking on your balcony??

Also in the link you provided:

Norwegian Cruise Line seems to take a slightly looser stance on the issue. "It's up to the guest, but we don't have any formal rules on this," says line representative Courtney Recht.

"It's up to the guest..", sounds to me like it is allowed and not an issue as far the cruise line is concerned.

As I pointed out in a post yesterday which mysteriously vanished it also protects NCL from future litigation by employees such as Room Stewards who could be spending years working in smokey, passive smoking conditions in a smokers cabin which have proven links to cancer from secondary smoking!

Interesting quote, ("...you may be affecting the comfort of other passengers"), doesn't the same hold true for smoking on your balcony??

I didn't intend to compare the smoking issue with the leaving-the-balcony-door open issue. I didn't think I did. But anyways, I just thought I'd mention that leaving the balcony door open is discouraged for other reasons.

Also in the link you provided:

Norwegian Cruise Line seems to take a slightly looser stance on the issue. "It's up to the guest, but we don't have any formal rules on this," says line representative Courtney Recht.

"It's up to the guest..", sounds to me like it is allowed and not an issue as far the cruise line is concerned.

It is an issue, but there are no regulations prohibiting it. They do discourage it, however. Princess even has little notices on their balcony doors asking passengers to keep the door shut. Leaving the balcony door open affects all passengers in the general vincinity...inside cabins, outside cabins, smokers, non-smokers, men, women, young, old, etc... Everybody.

Archived