Bus Strike in Bermuda

FIRELT5

Not saying that I'm worried about the bus strike when I go. I was asking what ways do you get around in Bermuda and if it's normal to take the bus to different beaches versus a cab. All the islands I've been to, we take cabs.

I would check out sailing on the Hal Veendam which does a 7 Day voyage to Bermuda.

You are docked in Down town Hamilton which has greater access to transportation.

We Were stuck at the dockyard over the years on the Explorer, Dawn, Summit, Cb and would never do it again. On the Veendam, you have 4 full days in BDA (tues-fri).

The Veendam also only has 1400 passengers on board. You are also closer to the South Shore beaches.

What an example of politics at it's best (or worst). Just ridiculous. although the unions retain the right to strike, many of the drivers are against this, the Ministry is obviously against this, and I'm sure the public is against this so how is it that one employee who refuses to abide by her contract(taking the drug test) is causing all this havoc.

I am generally an avid union supporter, however it seems that they really don't have a a foot stand on except that the few who make the decisions wield the power to randomly force an entire Island to come to screeching halt.

IMHO

Just glad I have insurance for my cruise in two weeks. If they don't get it ironed out, I will be canceling probably with a lot of other cruisers who have that option. And who loses? What happens when those union members who support the strike go to the Government to feed their kids and the Government is broke due to the millions lost in tourist revenue?

Okay, I'll get off my soap box! I do not intend to offend. Just venting over a totally uncalled for situation.

Oh wow. That sucks. We are planning a trip to Bermuda for our cruise next year. So do the bus lines run by the port and is that how most get transportation to the various beaches in Bermuda? I'm clueless about this port, but will be researching it as soon as we return from our cruise next month.

Most do take advantage of the buses as you usually buy a 1, 2 or 3 day pass which is also good for the ferries. Taxi's are very expensive. It's $35 to go from The Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay, one way.

What an example of politics at it's best (or worst). Just ridiculous. although the unions retain the right to strike, many of the drivers are against this, the Ministry is obviously against this, and I'm sure the public is against this so how is it that one employee who refuses to abide by her contract(taking the drug test) is causing all this havoc.

I am generally an avid union supporter, however it seems that they really don't have a a foot stand on except that the few who make the decisions wield the power to randomly force an entire Island to come to screeching halt.

IMHO

Just glad I have insurance for my cruise in two weeks. If they don't get it ironed out, I will be canceling probably with a lot of other cruisers who have that option. And who loses? What happens when those union members who support the strike go to the Government to feed their kids and the Government is broke due to the millions lost in tourist revenue?

Okay, I'll get off my soap box! I do not intend to offend. Just venting over a totally uncalled for situation.

I completely agree! Well put.

Most do take advantage of the buses as you usually buy a 1, 2 or 3 day pass which is also good for the ferries. Taxi's are very expensive. It's $35 to go from The Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay, one way.

Great info thanks! :)

I completely agree! Well put.

Great info thanks! :)

3 Day transportation passes for unlimited ferry/bus acess was $28 in 2010. The price may have gone up. We are leaving on the Veendam to BDA On 8/28 and will report back.

3 Day transportation passes for unlimited ferry/bus acess was $28 in 2010. The price may have gone up. We are leaving on the Veendam to BDA On 8/28 and will report back.

That's not bad at all for unlimited access back and forth. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll remember this when I start to plan my Bermuda vacation for next year. :)

I'm confused as to why they would strike because they asked the driver to take a drug test following an accident :confused:

It seems many people are confused about that. Ultimately, the drivers who are striking are doing so because she was fired for refusing after being asked 5 times to take the drug test. They are (wrongfully in my opinion) taking her side.

The bottom line is, she deserves to be fired since she caused an accident and then REFUSED to take a drug test. No matter the results of the drug test, she would not have been fired. If negative, she would be allowed back to work immediately, and if positive, she would be allowed back to work after attending a drug program.

When you agree to work somewhere and you know that drug tests are used, you can't simply refuse and expect to get away with it.

I'm confused as to why they would strike because they asked the driver to take a drug test following an accident :confused:

From what I have read so far, the strike is in protest of the fact that they terminated the driver for refusing to follow the policy of taking a drug test after an accident.

But the answer is still the same... I haven't a clue.

Theron

Update 3:02pm: BIU President Chris Furbert – who just returned to the island – will be hosting a press conference at 4pm. Update 3:51pm: One bus is now on the road this afternoon. Earlier today Minister Lister encouraged drivers to work if they would like, and it appears that at least one bus driver has decided to break the strike and drive.

Update 3:52pm: Thanks to someone on our Facebook page, here is a link about a bus strike in Malta last month which saw 60 drivers walk off the job. Officials responded by flying in 55 British bus drivers to drive the routes. Their Transport Minister Austin Gatt is quoted as saying to the striking drivers “The days when you dictated what happened in public transport are over.”

Update 4:00pm: We are at the BIU waiting for the press conference with BIU President Chris Furbert, which is due to start soon.

Update 4:15pm: The press conference is about to get underway, there are a number of bus drivers present.

Update 4:31pm: BIU officials have said the strike will continue and they want the driver reinstated without loss of wages or benefits.

Update 4:33pm: When asked if the strike is still on, Mr Furbert replied, “The drivers are still here at the Union”, and received applause from drivers in attendance.

Actually, there's a group ride rate of $6 per person, with up to 6 people sharing a taxi. You just have to be willing to share the taxi with others.

The prices haven't changed: $12 for a one day pass, $20 for two days, and $28 for a three day pass.

Not saying that I'm worried about the bus strike when I go. I was asking what ways do you get around in Bermuda and if it's normal to take the bus to different beaches versus a cab. All the islands I've been to, we take cabs.

Yes I would say buses are the primary mode of travel along with the ferries. You can buy 2 day or 3 day passes which make this an inexpensive form of travel. Of course there are cabs if you want that method. A one way cab charge to horseshoe bay beach (probably the most popular beach) would be approx $30 for up to four passengers.

Bermuda is terrific and you will have fun planning your next cruise to this beautiful island.

I would check out sailing on the Hal Veendam which does a 7 Day voyage to Bermuda.

You are docked in Down town Hamilton which has greater access to transportation.

We Were stuck at the dockyard over the years on the Explorer, Dawn, Summit, Cb and would never do it again. On the Veendam, you have 4 full days in BDA (tues-fri).

The Veendam also only has 1400 passengers on board. You are also closer to the South Shore beaches.

Veendam's location is nice BUT the price for same cabin as Gem is 70% more! We went 2x on Royal's Empress, and it was too docked in Hamilton, we loved it... But not for Veendams price.

I hope the strike ends soon, we're going in 3 weeks!

Sunday really hope they get things back to normal it will be tough walking to horseshoe bay beach !!!this makes me a bit nervous feel bad for those on island today:mad:(

Agreed! I was a Teachers Union Rep., Delegate, and asst. rep. for a very long time, but once you start to dig into this story you see that their Union has been "co-opted" by radical politics, and they are really just "sticking it" to the Gov't and the People of Bermuda.:( I sail 9 weeks from Sunday, so I hope It's settled long before that.

Bill(DrFootball)

("there are Pilots, then there are ARMY pilots…")

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.94 final beta for Mac

Update 3:02pm: BIU President Chris Furbert – who just returned to the island – will be hosting a press conference at 4pm. Update 3:51pm: One bus is now on the road this afternoon. Earlier today Minister Lister encouraged drivers to work if they would like, and it appears that at least one bus driver has decided to break the strike and drive.

Update 3:52pm: Thanks to someone on our Facebook page, here is a link about a bus strike in Malta last month which saw 60 drivers walk off the job. Officials responded by flying in 55 British bus drivers to drive the routes. Their Transport Minister Austin Gatt is quoted as saying to the striking drivers “The days when you dictated what happened in public transport are over.”

Update 4:00pm: We are at the BIU waiting for the press conference with BIU President Chris Furbert, which is due to start soon.

Update 4:15pm: The press conference is about to get underway, there are a number of bus drivers present.

Update 4:31pm: BIU officials have said the strike will continue and they want the driver reinstated without loss of wages or benefits.

Update 4:33pm: When asked if the strike is still on, Mr Furbert replied, “The drivers are still here at the Union”, and received applause from drivers in attendance.

Sounds like the Union cares more about one worker rather than the safety of others or the destruction of the economy and tourisum. Drug & Alcohol testing is for the safety of others and basicaly this Union Action signifies "who cares" about your safety. It doesn't give us a "warm & fuzzy" heading to Bermuda in a few weeks.

Update 3:26pm: Statement from Government saying the Premier met with BIU officials, and “priority was to have the matter referred to a Tribunal under the Labour Disputes Act 1992.” Premier Cox also said that “the request was for the bus operators to return to work as soon as possible.” Agreement was reached that the employee should remain terminated. It was also agreed that her pay would be reinstated for the period of suspension until termination. Full statement below.

Today the Cabinet Office updated on the meeting which was held between the Premier, the Hon. Paula A. Cox, JP, MP, Government Officials and members of the Bermuda Industrial Union (BIU).

This morning the Premier responded to a request for a meeting by the President of the BIU, Mr. Chris Furbert. Premier Cox invited the Deputy Premier, the Hon. Derrick Burgess, JP, MP, the Minister of Transport, the Hon. Terry Lister JP, MP, and the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, Sen. the Hon. Kim Wilson JP, to attend the meeting.

Also in attendance were the Mrs. Judith Hall-Bean Acting Cabinet Secretary,and Mr. George Outerbridge, the Acting Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

The BIU President was accompanied by: Brother Louis Somner, Organiser for the Division, Brother George Scott, Chief Union Organiser, Brother Graham Nesbitt, Assistant General Secretary, Brother Glenn Simmons, President of the Division, Sister Betty Smith, Secretary of the Division, Sister Ronnie Burgess, Organiser and Brother Maxwell Lawrence, Department of Public Transportation Shop Steward.

After greeting and acknowledging the BIU delegation, Premier Cox indicated that the “key and fundamental issue at hand, was to get the members of the Bus Operators and Allied Division of the Bermuda Industrial Union back to work”. The Premier noted that public safety and public interest issues are key.

And Premier Cox indicated that the priority was to have the matter referred to a Tribunal under the Labour Disputes Act 1992. Premier Cox also said that the request was for the bus operators to return to work as soon as possible.

The Premier directed that the terms of reference for the Tribunal should be finalised soonest, with a notice being Gazetted as soon as possible.

Agreement was reached that the employee should remain terminated. It was also agreed that her pay would be reinstated for the period of suspension until termination.

As a final note, the Premier rejected the idea of a Board of Enquiry on the Department of Public Transport.

Update 3:37pm: The BIU is presently hosting a press conference. So far they said they agreed to arbitration, and also said that Ms Harvey will be paid up to the date she was terminated.

Update 4:08pm: Quick video below the Hamilton terminal today at 3pm. We are still awaiting official clarification from the BIU on whether buses will be running their normal schedules tomorrow, although we unofficially understand that may be likely to happen.

Update 4:16pm: BIU president Chris Furbert confirmed that buses will run tomorrow, and the dispute will go to arbitration.

Veendam's location is nice BUT the price for same cabin as Gem is 70% more! We went 2x on Royal's Empress, and it was too docked in Hamilton, we loved it... But not for Veendams price.

I hope the strike ends soon, we're going in 3 weeks!

Our 8/28/2011 voyage on the Veendam was much cheaper than the Gem or (X) Summit.

for the same sail date. HAL does have excellent Flash Sales at times :)

Our 8/28/2011 voyage on the Veendam was much cheaper than the Gem or (X) Summit.

for the same sail date. HAL does have excellent Flash Sales at times :)

Comparing what to what? Pls give prices or it didn't happen :)

For our week, 9/4, B1 Gem (highest balcony) $899 vs $1,699 for lowest balcony (not lanai) in Veendam.

Archived