Pre-paid money cards

The Londoners

Hi, I am loathe to take too much cash with us, and equally don't want to use credit cards (I never seem to manage to pay them off quickly, despite good intentions!). In the past we've taken transports cheques but last year the cashier very strongly urged us to take a pre-paid cash card, which apparently you load up and then draw money off as needed. Does anyone know whether X accept these cards? There has never been a problem changing up travelogue cheques onboard, so am inclined to stick with them, notwithstanding the cashier's disapproval!

Hi, I am loathe to take too much cash with us, and equally don't want to use credit cards (I never seem to manage to pay them off quickly, despite good intentions!). In the past we've taken transports cheques but last year the cashier very strongly urged us to take a pre-paid cash card, which apparently you load up and then draw money off as needed. Does anyone know whether X accept these cards? There has never been a problem changing up travelogue cheques onboard, so am inclined to stick with them, notwithstanding the cashier's disapproval!

I have always had a lot of trouble with these cards, they just never seem to work. I notice that your cruise is over a year away so I might suggest adding to your account on board slowly. Maybe put $25 a week into it, I believe you can do this on line. Also, travelers checks are fine, just don't try and use them off the ship.

I have always had a lot of trouble with these cards, they just never seem to work. I notice that your cruise is over a year away so I might suggest adding to your account on board slowly. Maybe put $25 a week into it, I believe you can do this on line. Also, travelers checks are fine, just don't try and use them off the ship.

You can put money into your onboard account before you actually board the ship? I've never heard of this before. Although I'm sure Celebrity wouldn't mind holding onto your money a year in advance. I'm curious how exactly it would be accomplished.

Gail

You can put money into your onboard account before you actually board the ship? I've never heard of this before. Although I'm sure Celebrity wouldn't mind holding onto your money a year in advance. I'm curious how exactly it would be accomplished.

Gail

I've actually already started doing this as well for my cruise in Nov/Dec on the Celebrity Millennium. I don't know if this link will work for UK folks but here:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/bonvoyage/category/viewProductDetail.do?cat=ONBDCR&coll=ONBDCR&itemCode=C171

You can do it online or call 800-242-6374

Thanks Don, if you've had problems then enough said! I suspected it would be easier for the cashier if we took a card, rather than better for us! We also have a cruise in just over a month but I think we will stick to cash/travellers cheques. We always take credit cards and leave money we can access via debit card too, just in case we need to (not really worried about charges and exchange rates in emergency situations)m

We have pre-paid gratuities, pre_booked the speciality restaurant of our choice (Muranos), and will also get some free internet as CC Elite members; not really being drinkers, we hope to avoid a hefty onboard account this year (will be avoiding art auctions and jewellers!).

Appreciate your advice.

most of them say that they cannot be used on cruise ships...

when i want to NOT carry a lot of cash, i still use the paper travelers cheques...

(actually, in RCCL's documents, it states that they can't be used...since =X= is owned by RCCL i would guess that they have the same policy....

They can be hard from a merchant's standpoint as well..unless the person using the card knows how much is on it, if you spend more, the card will be declined and the funds can be temporarily frozen. For instance if you have $500 on the card and spend $600, the system that processes the payment, in most cases, isn't smart enough to know that you will pay the balance with another form of payment..it will just say Declined....

When i worked retail, we hated them as the person using the card, in 99.99% of the cases, had no clue how much money was left on the card....

Ok, so we will definitely not be using s pre-paid card, especially as I am sure to have no idea how much I have spent (as usual!), and would absolutely hate to have a payment declined. I will look into pre-paying into our onboard account and will stick to travellers cheques for euros!

Gail

Hi Gail, good morning:) I have done this quite a few times over the

years. You are essentially buying yourself obc.;) I have called Capt's

Club and gave them a credit card number and (example) I buy 200

bucks worth of obc. So there is money on the account before sailing.

Just like having a credit. But it is your own money;)

There is also a link on the Celebrity website that is titled

"Gifts By Celebrity". Instead of an actual item? Call them and purchase

the obc for yourself.:D

Thank you Lois. That would make sense. Of course I'm always open to friends and family wanting to make "donations" to my onboard credit acount. lol

Gail

Thank you Lois. That would make sense. Of course I'm always open to friends and family wanting to make "donations" to my onboard credit acount. lol

Gail

Too funny:D that reminds me of when I am watching a college football

game on tv and you see the kid with the sign....."Hi MOM, send $$":D

I see you are going on Summit in November:) I am sailing her 2 weeks

from TODAY!:D

I shall check this out, but Captains Club in UK is different from US, in my experience, though pleasant, they don't seem to do anything much, but you never know, maybe they can help this time!
I have done this in the past. Did not bother with Captains Club, just bought obc online. It worked fine.

Too funny:D that reminds me of when I am watching a college football

game on tv and you see the kid with the sign....."Hi MOM, send $$":D

I see you are going on Summit in November:) I am sailing her 2 weeks

from TODAY!:D

I'll be at Disney next month for three weeks, think I'll go to a football game and put up a sign that says "HI Lois, send $$$.

I'll be at Disney next month for three weeks, think I'll go to a football game and put up a sign that says "HI Lois, send $$$.

Hi Don:)....ha ha ha ha ha ha:D:eek: me sending it to you?;), NOT!:)

Have fun at Disney!

I am pleased that you decided against the pre-paid card. If you check the small print, at least some of these actually charge you to leave your money on them. They have their place in the world [e.g. students on gap years] but not ideal generally.

It is a good idea to pre-buy OBC especially as the OP is from the UK. Just keep watching the exchange rate being used. Last time I checked, it was a really good rate compared to the tourist rate. For the rest, if the OP does not want to use a credit card, they could always use a debit card for the balance.

Sue

Gail

I hope this hasn't been asked, but if it has, excuse me. If it is On

Board Credit, can I assume that any remaining credit at the end of the

cruise is refundable?

Hi

We also did exactly this last year. We bought ourselves 'gifts' of obc before we went and didn't even spend it all, so they gave us back the difference in dollars at guest services on our last full day!

We found the experience excellent, so we will do the same thing in October for our TA.

Adele :)

I hope this hasn't been asked, but if it has, excuse me. If it is On

Board Credit, can I assume that any remaining credit at the end of the

cruise is refundable?

There are different types of obc's. Some are refundable and others are not.

If you are spending your own money? That would be refundable and if

I am wrong about that I am sure someone on here will correct me.

There you go, see the previous post:) they bought themselves

obc's and didn't use them all so were refunded the amount left:)

I am pleased that you decided against the pre-paid card. If you check the small print, at least some of these actually charge you to leave your money on them. They have their place in the world [e.g. students on gap years] but not ideal generally.

It is a good idea to pre-buy OBC especially as the OP is from the UK. Just keep watching the exchange rate being used. Last time I checked, it was a really good rate compared to the tourist rate. For the rest, if the OP does not want to use a credit card, they could always use a debit card for the balance.

Sue

We use prepaid cards and have found them to be wonderful. We have both a € one and a $ one and have never had any problems. We have been using them for about 4 years now and covered about 10 foreign vacations, including cruises.

The thing I find great with them is that I can top them up at any time, free of charge and the exchange rates I get are much much better than the high street.

We have used the € before now to pay off our sea pass on RCI so I would imagine we can do the same on celebrity.

I do agree however that it can sometimes be a pain knowing how much you have left, but you can always do a quick balance check online - we use free wi fi when in port, or just keep an eye on what you are spending.

I also love the fact I can withdraw money out of any foreign ATM and although there is a charge per withdrawal, we do not pay anything to 'keep our money on there' as another posted said.

I'm presuming different cards have different benefits and fees so if you are looking to get one, then just make sure you get the right one to suit you.

Ours is a prepaid Mastercard and to be honest, I wouldn't be without it now.

Sue

Hi, problem is that some banks also charge to use debit cards and just today I saw in MOS where there is an article about travel mOney today, that Natwest is one of the worst offenders, and wouldn't you know it, our 'holiday' account is with Natwest. We do leave make sure there is ample money available in the account in case we need to use our debit card, but the OBC option sounds interesting and would mean we only need to carry € and £, so at least one less currency to take along! We have some $ notes left from previous trips for additional gratuities, though I believe £ or € would be acceptable for this purpose too!

Ok, so we will definitely not be using s pre-paid card, especially as I am sure to have no idea how much I have spent (as usual!), and would absolutely hate to have a payment declined. I will look into pre-paying into our onboard account and will stick to travellers cheques for euros!

Hi,

Do not waste your pounds on pre-paid cards (there are services fees associated with same). As your cruise is a yr away suggest you do the $5.00 trick. Every time I get a $5.00(USD) bill I place it in a separate wallet. This yr had $1500+ in cruise money to take along. Try it with whatever amount you are comfortable with. Buying yourself an OBC is another idea

Carole

We use prepaid cards and have found them to be wonderful. We have both a € one and a $ one and have never had any problems. We have been using them for about 4 years now and covered about 10 foreign vacations, including cruises.

The thing I find great with them is that I can top them up at any time, free of charge and the exchange rates I get are much much better than the high street.

We have used the € before now to pay off our sea pass on RCI so I would imagine we can do the same on celebrity.

I do agree however that it can sometimes be a pain knowing how much you have left, but you can always do a quick balance check online - we use free wi fi when in port, or just keep an eye on what you are spending.

I also love the fact I can withdraw money out of any foreign ATM and although there is a charge per withdrawal, we do not pay anything to 'keep our money on there' as another posted said.

I'm presuming different cards have different benefits and fees so if you are looking to get one, then just make sure you get the right one to suit you.

Ours is a prepaid Mastercard and to be honest, I wouldn't be without it now.

I just don't really understand why anyone would want one of these instead of a real credit card. I don't know what kind of security is on them but if I lose a real credit card I wouldn't really care since I'm protected, this would worry me. Also, why should I let a company hold my money sooner than I have to? Do these prepaid cards have the same kinds of protections i.e. you can dispute a transaction if the goods turn out not to be as expected? Not to mention the cash back you get from a good credit card. And no additional fees for using one beyond foreign exchange, and some cards are really good about that.

And what if you have an emergency and need more money than what's readily available? I don't know about you but I don't keep thousands in my bank account in case of problems but I do have a high limit credit card for when I travel.

I think the benefits greatly outweigh the negatives. Just write on your calendar the date the payment is due, then put it a week before to remind you to pay it. No interest charges then.

I just don't really understand why anyone would want one of these instead of a real credit card. I don't know what kind of security is on them but if I lose a real credit card I wouldn't really care since I'm protected, this would worry me. Also, why should I let a company hold my money sooner than I have to? Do these prepaid cards have the same kinds of protections i.e. you can dispute a transaction if the goods turn out not to be as expected? Not to mention the cash back you get from a good credit card. And no additional fees for using one beyond foreign exchange, and some cards are really good about that.

And what if you have an emergency and need more money than what's readily available? I don't know about you but I don't keep thousands in my bank account in case of problems but I do have a high limit credit card for when I travel.

I think the benefits greatly outweigh the negatives. Just write on your calendar the date the payment is due, then put it a week before to remind you to pay it. No interest charges then.

I think you are missing the point of these......

The biggest advantage is that you can load up at any time, at no additional cost and get a HIGHER RATE OF EXCHANGE than you would on the high street. This means that for us, then the exchange rate is good, I tend to buy a few € or $ here and there over a period of time. As we holiday quite often, its useful to be able to get this good exchange rate and basically accumulate our spending money over a period of time.

The card I have had no up front fees or purchase cost and has not 'running' costs.

The negative thing about a credit card is that you are locked into the exchange rate at the point of purchase, which may not be that great.

We do also take credit cards away with us for emergencies.

Archived