Visa for China denied for Grand Asia cruise

Martyjac

My application was denied "No reason given", and not to reapply, but I'm assuming because I had 4 felonies in early 90s. I had to fill in on forms, it was required. The trip on Holland is 70 days. Problem is, they say I can't get on ship without the Chinese visa from Seattle, even weather I stay on board, I must have the visa. Now we booked this trip a year ago and paid in full two months ago. Then we received a letter to apply for visas. The insurance doesn't cover visas Travel Guard says. And Holland says no refunds. Does anyone have a suggestion?

My application was denied "No reason given", and not to reapply, but I'm assuming because I had 4 felonies in early 90s. I had to fill in on forms, it was required. The trip on Holland is 70 days. Problem is, they say I can't get on ship without the Chinese visa from Seattle, even weather I stay on board, I must have the visa. Now we booked this trip a year ago and paid in full two months ago. Then we received a letter to apply for visas. The insurance doesn't cover visas Travel Guard says. And Holland says no refunds. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Call where they process the Visas and tell them you need a reason and see if there is anything you can do...if you can't get one they won't let you board so you may need to see if you can schedule a different cruise with what you paid for this one, maybe they won't give you a refund but maybe you can transfer to another cruise. Good luck and hope this all works out for you...

Next time do more research BEFORE you put your money down is my only suggestion. You're just going to have to chaulk this up as a very expensive learning experience.

Agreed 100%... travel requirements may not have been known (by the OP) at time of booking, but once deposited they are always included with the initial booking confirmations (whether booking direct with HAL, or with an agent; and if with an agency and they did not communicate this to you, that's a huge error on their part). Some insurances, including HAL's own policies, cover cancellation for any reason - but most do not.

Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing you can do. Regardless if you step off the ship or not in China, once the ship is in Chinese territorial waters, you're considered in the country. China is VERY picky with their visas and they are very strict. I'm guessing you're really in a box on this and the only thing I can think of is to call Holland and see if they'll transfer your booking to another cruise that doesn't include China.

Don't bother calling the visa place or the Chinese Embassy. Like I said, once you're denied, that's it, you have no recourse.

My best friend was denied a Chinese visa because she's a union organizer and they don't like those kind of people in their country. Oh, and forget flying into or taking a cruise in Canada. With your felonies, they won't allow you in there either. They even can deny entry for old DWI's.

I hope you can work something out.

You are dealing with China.

There is always a way.

My wife is Chinese, naturalized US citizen, and we deal with Visas to China all the time in our travels, for our family and others.

Contact Oasis Visa service, best by phone in your case.

It will cost you some coin, but they can help you, Visa and MC happily accepted!:)

Oasis International Travel Corporation

(Mail Back Service Provider)

http://www.oasischinavisa.com

http://www.oasisitc.com

Email: service@oasischinavisa.com

the SAME BUILDING with the Visa Office Suite 333 (understand? $ is all that is needed)

Tel: 1-866-312-8472 (Toll free ) (202) 5966685

Fax: (202)3388473

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/yisq/t169580.htm

I would think HAL would have a plan for when this happens. You can't be the first person to run into the issue. I would call customer service and keep moving up the ladder until you get an acceptable response.... seems to me they would apply the $$ to another cruise, but who knows?

I would think HAL would have a plan for when this happens. You can't be the first person to run into the issue. I would call customer service and keep moving up the ladder until you get an acceptable response.... seems to me they would apply the $$ to another cruise, but who knows?

It's not HAL's business to ask a client for their criminal record history; it's the criminal's responsibility to know where they are and aren't permitted to travel due to their record. Blunt, but it is what it is.

PS: I agree with attempting to use a visa service that may be able to acquire a visa on your behalf... Couldn't hurt.

HAL has no obligation. It is the passengers obligation to get the necessary visas. HAL has his money. OP should have looked into this "problem" before booking or at least before final payment.

Sorry for your disappointment but four felonies could well be a roadblock to international travel.

Hope you find a way to get your visas. When is your cruise scheduled to sail?

Good luck.

Marty,

As has been said before, it is possible that HAL might let you get off in S. Korea on Oct. 13 and then reboard in Vietnam on Oct 27. You would need to fly between the two and kill the two weeks. It might be worth asking them.

But flying to these countries might require visas, as well as Russia and other countries and there's no guarantee that any or all of them would be granted.

Just because you don't need a country's visa before getting on the ship, doesn't mean you don't need the visa at all. HAL gets most of the visas needed but it's possible that any country on the itinerary could deny you a visa.

I would recommend you throw yourself on the mercy of HAL to let you switch some of your money to another cruise to countries that do not require travel visas.

Scott & Karen

It's not HAL's business to ask a client for their criminal record history; it's the criminal's responsibility to know where they are and aren't permitted to travel due to their record. Blunt, but it is what it is.

HAL has no obligation. It is the passengers obligation to get the necessary visas. HAL has his money. OP should have looked into this "problem" before booking or at least before final payment.

I'm not suggesting that HAL is responsible or has any obligation, just saying that this is probably not a unique situation.

I'm not suggesting that HAL is responsible or has any obligation, just saying that this is probably not a unique situation.

Agreed. I'm sure this is not the first time they've heard of this.

I would also suggest trying Deckhanddoug's idea. Nothing is impossible, and I think just giving up and saying you're screwed without even trying to find another way is ridiculous.

This poster has given you a "work around" worth pursuing. I wouldn't give up on a 70 day cruise I had already paid for. I'd do exactly what was suggested. From the port of call before China to the port of call after China I'd arrange a deviation with extenuating circumstances. Although the cruise line has no obligation to rebate/refund you they might be able to get you a discounted air or hotel arrangement. It certainly worth a try.

Dear Marty,

Another suggestion might be to look at the segments and bypass china by taking 2 separate cruises. Leave before you get to China, and staying in the second city of embarkation until the ship arrives.

Regardless if you step off the ship or not in China, once the ship is in Chinese territorial waters, you're considered in the country. China is VERY picky with their visas and they are very strict.

I agree with that too, if it is any consolation, people coming into the USA on Tourist Visas also will be refused on the same grounds you were refused into China.

Vietnam requires a Visa pre arrival, although that might be waived being on a cruise ship.

I would rethink my itinerary and plead with HAL to change it. Insurance will not cover the problem, and nor is it HAL problem but they might help you out.

How would the Chinese Consulate know about the 4 felonies, do they have to be listed on the visa application form and/or the Chinese authorites checkup on criminal records?

I will be apply for my Chinese visa early next year (luckily I don't have any felonies).

Ron

Unfortunately most countries won't let you in with felonies in your past. Canada is just as particular and will deny you entry just from your passport because they share reporting systems with the US and will be able to see it. 4 felonies is pretty serious, I'm going to assume they're all drug/alcohol related (ie DUIs) but I can't blame other countries for not wanting to let people in with them in their history... especially 4 of them. You could check to see if China has any forgiveness methods but you're probably out of luck for this cruise.

**edit** never mind, I see it was mail fraud after trying to research the answer for you. I'm thinking that is actually going to make it a big no at this point but you could try calling the embassy in DC to find out.

How would the Chinese Consulate know about the 4 felonies, do they have to be listed on the visa application form and/or the Chinese authorites checkup on criminal records?

I will be apply for my Chinese visa early next year (luckily I don't have any felonies).

Ron

He should not have listed the felonies

He should not have listed the felonies

Which would be an even bigger mistake. I would not encourage anyone to lie on an application that in these days with technology can be verified fairly quickly. Many countries to do share their records with each other now.

Which would be an even bigger mistake. I would not encourage anyone to lie on an application that in these days with technology can be verified fairly quickly. Many countries to do share their records with each other now.

Yes, with the internet it is amazing what you can learn about people. It is quite possible that OP's convictions were mentioned in a newspaper which is now available online.

Yes, with the internet it is amazing what you can learn about people. It is quite possible that OP's convictions were mentioned in a newspaper which is now available online.

Yep, in the few minutes I spent researching visas because of this post I discovered that they were for mail fraud. So if I can find that much out then the government is capable of even more. :)

Archived