Bermuda question..

nitka

Hi what month is best to sail to Bermuda, right now I'm looking at June 2nd, for a 5 night cruise on the Explorer of the seas out of NJ.. This will be our first cruise, and are there rough seas to bermuda? is it warm enough to use the pools on the Explorer on the way to Bermuda in June? and over all is this a great destination and ship?

Hi what month is best to sail to Bermuda, right now I'm looking at June 2nd, for a 5 night cruise on the Explorer of the seas out of NJ.. This will be our first cruise, and are there rough seas to bermuda? is it warm enough to use the pools on the Explorer on the way to Bermuda in June? and over all is this a great destination and ship?

The ship is nice, Bermuda is great. However, the 5 day to Bermuda is to short I my opinion. Trust me, you will want more time in Bermuda. Other options are 7 days from NY and Boston.

June is a good time to go. The water in Bermuda should be warm enough. Be aware that June, July, August, you will see more children onboard and the prices are higher. We prefer Bermuda in Sept as the weather is not to hot or humid and the water temps are perfect.

Sometimes the seas are rough and sometimes as smooth as glass. :)

We have sailed to Bermuda twice, once in Oct and once in mid May and both times the Atlantic was rough. You probably will be fine. We agree that 5 days is too short. You should see both St Georges and Hamilton. Bermuda is beautiful although a little on the expensive side. We would not hesitate to visit again but would sail the 7 day HAL Veendam out of New York.

The water temperatures are best in September -- the weather is probably best in September-October (barring a hurricane -- which, while possible is highly unlikely: perhaps two days in any given three-month period are at risk). June-August are a bit too hot and humid. April and May weather is generally good, but water temps. are cool.

Thanks everyone for your responses, I do know that 5 day cruise is short, Bermuda looks absolutely gorgeous!! but we also want to see new york, we have never cruised before nor been to new york, there fore squeezing two locations into one vacation :) I do have another question, are the beaches in Bermuda free? and which beaches can you recommend that would be closest to the King's Wharf?

Thanks everyone for your responses, I do know that 5 day cruise is short, Bermuda looks absolutely gorgeous!! but we also want to see new york, we have never cruised before nor been to new york, there fore squeezing two locations into one vacation :) I do have another question, are the beaches in Bermuda free? and which beaches can you recommend that would be closest to the King's Wharf?

Yes they are free. Here is the link to all in info on Bermuda.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

• 4 months later...
We have sailed to Bermuda twice, once in Oct and once in mid May and both times the Atlantic was rough. You probably will be fine. We agree that 5 days is too short. You should see both St Georges and Hamilton. Bermuda is beautiful although a little on the expensive side. We would not hesitate to visit again but would sail the 7 day HAL Veendam out of New York.

when you went in may how rough was it? Did you hit high swells?

nitka asked: .....are the beaches in Bermuda free? and which beaches can you recommend that would be closest to the King's Wharf?....

Beaches are free with the exception of the beach at Snorkel Park http://www.snorkelparkbeach.com/ where there has been an entry fee. The only positive thing about SP is that it is about a 5 minute walk from where the cruise ship is docked. The downside is that it is a man made beach and it is atypical of Bermuda beaches and it would be a shame to be in Bermuda and not go to a South Shore beach.

The most popular beach with the tourists is Horseshoe Bay Beach and my favorite because it is absolutely beautiful. HSB is about a 35 minute bus ride from where you'll be docked. Here is a YouTube video:

Now compare that to a YouTube video of SP:

I know you didn't ask, but JMHO, see NYC or Bermuda, don't try for both; you'll end up disappointed.

SBtS

Over the past 35 yrs, we've probably cruised to Bermuda out of NY/NJ 20 or so times. Always in May/June or Sept/Oct. Between mid June and Labor day many more families and children on board. Early June, the temps going and while there should be delightful, as well as the water temp of the ocean while in Bermuda. As for the seas.....no way to predict. We've gone when the seas were like glass and we've gone when they were a bit rough. We've sailed transatlantic in November and has smoother seas then, than on some trips to Bermuda in May. You just can't predict the Atlantic ocean! And ya....5 days is not long enough!

nitka asked: .....are the beaches in Bermuda free? and which beaches can you recommend that would be closest to the King's Wharf?....

Beaches are free with the exception of the beach at Snorkel Park http://www.snorkelparkbeach.com/ where there has been an entry fee. The only positive thing about SP is that it is about a 5 minute walk from where the cruise ship is docked. The downside is that it is a man made beach and it is atypical of Bermuda beaches and it would be a shame to be in Bermuda and not go to a South Shore beach.

The most popular beach with the tourists is Horseshoe Bay Beach and my favorite because it is absolutely beautiful. HSB is about a 35 minute bus ride from where you'll be docked. Here is a YouTube video:

Now compare that to a YouTube video of SP:

I know you didn't ask, but JMHO, see NYC or Bermuda, don't try for both; you'll end up disappointed.

SBtS

We love both of these beaches, but my favorite is Clearwater Beach near St George.

It's a small clean beach with mild surf. The best feature there is the view of the airport & runways. You can watch planes take off & land.

We discovered it, when the NCL Majesty docked in St. George, and we got there by taxi.

Did EOS June last year.

Weather was absolutely perfect, seas were smooth as glass.

Great cruise, but we went from Bermuda (only 1 day) to St. Martin, St. Thomas, and San Juan. It was the 9 nighter.

Never any guarantee but we went for land resort vacations at least three times on Memorial Day Weekend years ago and every time we went end of May, it rained almost our whole time there. We stopped going. ;)

When it is beautiful in Bermuda it is REALLY beautiful but no one can promise you good weather, sadly.

Archived