Irene - Veendam NYC Arrival/Departure 8/28

Sagedeb

Just spoke with my mom who is on the Veendam. She was told that the current passengers can stay on until Monday due to NYC being shut down.

HAL's communication skills are horrendous. Their website still shows that passengers have to leave tomorrow. Anytime I have called HAL, their agents have no more information than the website - the after hours folks were the worst, the person I spoke to did not even know the Veendam was heading back to NYC early due to the hurrican. We have been scrambling to get someone to pick them up this morning due to misinformation from HAL. Does HAL not understand that arrangements need to be made and can't be done on the drop of a hat?

This was our first experience with HAL and will be our last. Celebrity and NCL made the right decision and kept their ships out to sea, returning Monday and allowing folks to make other arrangements. HAL has kept people in the dark, made the situation stressful and continues to do so since who knows what will happen with the ship tied up to the dock during the hurricane.

ARGHHH!!!!

What happened to the mantra that I have read so many times on this board that HAL would never put its passengers, crew and ships into danger?

Right now its as though HAL Seattle is operating in an information vacuum. For days now, all they had to do was turn on the Weather Channel.

Just spoke with my mom who is on the Veendam. She was told that the current passengers can stay on until Monday due to NYC being shut down.

HAL's communication skills are horrendous. Their website still shows that passengers have to leave tomorrow. Anytime I have called HAL, their agents have no more information than the website - the after hours folks were the worst, the person I spoke to did not even know the Veendam was heading back to NYC early due to the hurrican. We have been scrambling to get someone to pick them up this morning due to misinformation from HAL. Does HAL not understand that arrangements need to be made and can't be done on the drop of a hat?

ARGHHH!!!!

Where do your parents have to go? There are several limo and cab services you can call if they are going locally. You can try dialing 212-777-7777.

According to the NY Harbor Cam website, Carnival Glory and NCL Jewel are at the NYC piers. (The cam is off line, but scroll down to the Google areial section, furnished by MarineTraffic.com. http://www.nyharborwebcam.com/index.html)

MarineTraffic.com, the link provided by another poster, http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/ shows the Veendam sailing into NY harbor, just crossing the NJ/NY state line in the harbor as I write.

I find it odd that the coast guard required the carnival ship heading to baltimore tomorrow to disembark passengers and head out to sea (they will be back on Monday to pick up the passengers who were to cruise on Sunday) but the veendam gets to stay in NYC.. why is NCL leaving NYC on Sat and coming back for passengers on Monday?

The Caribbean Princess is supposed to sail tomorrow..they are leaving brooklyn early and heading out to sea for a day before deciding to head toward canada. ps.. no parking in brooklyn as it will be flooded

Celebrity stayed in Bermuda an extra day.

RCI is departing Bayone early on Saturday.

Laura

Is it possible that there are different piers? Perhaps HAL ships, being smaller than the larger cruise ship will use a different dock area - one that is not as likely to be affected by flooding? There must be a reason the Coast Guard and the Mayor are allowing the ship to dock in NYC. No doubt they want people in or near areas subject to flooding to evacuate. But perhaps where the Veendam is docking is within an "evacuation route":confused:

Is it possible that there are different piers? Perhaps HAL ships, being smaller than the larger cruise ship will use a different dock area - one that is not as likely to be affected by flooding? There must be a reason the Coast Guard and the Mayor are allowing the ship to dock in NYC. No doubt they want people in or near areas subject to flooding to evacuate. But perhaps where the Veendam is docking is within an "evacuation route":confused:
It will probably be at its normal pier. We'll find out soon by watching http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Nancy Jewel, Thanks for the websites. It appear that the Veendam is still headed up the Hudson River, well protected from wave action, but not surges and tides.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

It appears to be near routes 3, and 495, near Times Square. I don't know if this is where all cruiseships dock, or not. It appeared that a Carnival ship was at dock futher south, near the Statue of Liberty. Perhaps someone one from NYC can tell us what roads are on their evacuation routes.

According to the security officer at the Manhattan Pier, with whom I just spoke, Veendam will be arriving shortly and the plan is for it to stay docked at the pier till Monday. Of course, it could still be ordered out to sea.If you look at NY wired web cam 3 you can see the Veendam docking now.

I don't know if this is where all cruiseships dock, or not.
All the ones that normally use the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, yes. The Carnival Glory and NCL Jewel are already docked there. Veendam is about to turn in.

Could its be because of the seaworthiness of the Veendam, she is approved to remain in the harbor?

Yes, a cargo ship is certainly seaworthy as are the naval ships, and they are going out to sea.

But I'd rather be on the lower profile HAL cruise ships than some that are top heavy and look like they would tip over in a strong wind. I would be surprised if NYC sees sustained winds more than 20mph.

Surges were just shown on the Weather Channel, but don't seem to extend up the Hudson River.

I'm thinking the rain and flooding is the big concern.....but I'm no expert.

All the ones that normally use the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, yes. The Carnival Glory and NCL Jewel are already docked there. Veendam is about to turn in.

However, from all reports the Glory and Jewel are unloading and then going back out to sea for tomorrow. I believe the Veendam is the only ship remaining tied up to the dock through Sunday with pax aboard.

How are the 8/28 pax going to board as HAL says they can if the 8/21 pax are still in their cabins as reported this morning by someone who had talked to their mother who is aboard now? Of course it isn't on the website yet today that the 8/21 pax can stay on till Monday. I guess not that many 8/28 pax will be able to get to the ship tomorrow anyway, so this latest change of plan won't be a problem.

For folks not familar with the NY Passenger Ship Terminal, the docks are similar to nose-in parking in an shopping center parking lot. The ships sail in to their parking spot, bow in, perpendicular to 12th Ave. The ships are basically lined up, separated by the pier buildings.

If you Google "NYC Passenger Ship Terminal", you should get an illustraion map of what I'm describing.

Below is the link to the NYC passenger ship terminals' site. Navigate (no pun intended) to Terminals -> Manhattan Terminal -> this will bring you to the page with a Photo Gallery. Go to the 3rd photo in the row. (Note: it's not a live photo.) You see the formation of the docks.

http://www.nycruise.com/terminalNYC.html

I agree, Peaches....overcrowding could be a problem. The Mayor of NYC is supposed to speak soon according to the Weather Channel. If the storm slows, and wind slows as it often does going over land and reaching cooler water, Irene could either die down or extend into Monday with rain especially.

Won't many passengers be staying in the Central Park area? Isn't that within walking distance to the pier? Sat. and Sun. night could be very busy for the Veendam!

However, from all reports the Glory and Jewel are unloading and then going back out to sea for tomorrow. I believe the Veendam is the only ship remaining tied up to the dock through Sunday with pax aboard.

How are the 8/28 pax going to board as HAL says they can if the 8/21 pax are still in their cabins as reported this morning by someone who had talked to their mother who is aboard now? Of course it isn't on the website yet today that the 8/21 pax can stay on till Monday. I guess not that many 8/28 pax will be able to get to the ship tomorrow anyway, so this latest change of plan won't be a problem.

That's my question also. CC just posted that the 8/28 sailing passengers can still board on Sunday if they can get there. Once again more confusion from HAL...

Where do your parents have to go? There are several limo and cab services you can call if they are going locally. You can try dialing 212-777-7777.

Thanks for the information. Actually my sister was going to drive down from Albany to get my mom and her friend but my mom wants to remain on the ship until Monday (since HAL told them they could) and fly out of NY on Monday (well, maybe we'll see). HAL told us the ship was going to get in at 7 am and it just docked now. Good thing my sister didn't leave at 5 am to go get her.

The sustained winds right now are 85 mph (gusts to 100) which is encouraging news. However, the waters are not that cool up there this time of year and they still suspect Irene will be a Cat 1 well inland through CT. Personally I find that hard to believe, but I'm not a meteorologist although I try to play one when these hurricanes come off Africa:).

Even if the storm calms somewhat I seriously doubt you're looking at 20 mph in NY. We get 45 to 50 here in a thunderstorm! I think we're at 20 right this minute and the trees are barely moving.

Again, the fear here is not so much about wind as rain and flooding in an area that is already rain soaked. A lot of people don't realize that. Storm surge is a huge issue. No one should plan on this thing dying down to nothing. If it does that will be fantastic news for all, but it's highly unlikely.

The sustained winds right now are 85 mph (gusts to 100) which is encouraging news. However, the waters are not that cool up there this time of year and they still suspect Irene will be a Cat 1 well inland through CT. Personally I find that hard to believe, but I'm not a meteorologist although I try to play one when these hurricanes come off Africa:).

Even if the storm calms somewhat I seriously doubt you're looking at 20 mph in NY. We get 45 to 50 here in a thunderstorm! I think we're at 20 right this minute and the trees are barely moving.

Again, the fear here is not so much about wind as rain and flooding in an area that is already rain soaked. A lot of people don't realize that. Storm surge is a huge issue. No one should plan on this thing dying down to nothing. If it does that will be fantastic news for all, but it's highly unlikely.

Agreed. The wind is not the issue they are worried about, this is supposed to linger longer and the storm surge is the problem. i dont think they will be staying in port even in the unlikely event they are allowed. too much chance for damage to the ship and pier.

TWC had a great explanation early this morning about the Category # and wind speed being immaterial to the potential problems in NYC. It's all about the amount of water that will be dumped on a low-lying island over a very long period of time with this big storm. The rain and flooding are what are going to cause havoc on Manhatten island and surrounding counties, not wind damage.

TWC had a great explanation early this morning about the Category # and wind speed being immaterial to the potential problems in NYC. It's all about the amount of water that will be dumped on a low-lying island over a very long period of time with this big storm. The rain and flooding are what are going to cause havoc on Manhatten island and surrounding counties, not wind damage.

Yes, rain and tides have always been the issue with Irene's "visit" to NYC. People get way too hung up on hurricane numbers. Just look at the map in motion on the weather channel TV or website. As the storm spins, it picks up ocean water and dumps it onto the land.

Yes, rain and tides have always been the issue with Irene's "visit" to NYC. People get way too hung up on hurricane numbers. Just look at the map in motion on the weather channel TV or website. As the storm spins, it picks up ocean water and dumps it onto the land.

Absolutely true!

People seem to get complacent when they hear the storm is no longer a Cat 2 ... forgetting that is only a part of the picture.

I remember when Wilma came across the peninsula in 2005, and people on Florida's east coast thought no big deal, it will weaken before it gets to us. And we ended up with lots of flooding and damage.

I am so disappointed in HAL and the way this was handled. If I were sailing on the 8/28 cruise, I would be outraged at the lack of information and consideration for the pax.

Thanks to the New York area posters who are keeping us up to date with the info ... good luck to all of you.

This was our first experience with HAL and will be our last. Celebrity and NCL made the right decision and kept their ships out to sea, returning Monday and allowing folks to make other arrangements. HAL has kept people in the dark, made the situation stressful and continues to do so since who knows what will happen with the ship tied up to the dock during the hurricane.

ARGHHH!!!!

Although I agree that there has been a lot of unnecessary confusion, if you study what other lines have done in the past, including Celebrity, you would be saying you will never cruise with them again either. Right now there is another thread about people saying they will never cruise RCCL because of how they handled the situation in San Juan this week. They too are owned by the same company as Celebrity. It just seems that all the cruiselines make decisions at one time or another that are not favorable. Do some searches on Celebrity and you may decide you won't cruise with them either. Just because they handlled this situation more to your liking, it does not mean they will handle another situation well.

Archived