Question about phone calls on ship

slmwo

We are sailing on Freedom of the Seas and have family at home insisting on keeping in touch. I've already made arrangements with my cell phone, but looking for a cheaper way. If someone calls us from the US into our stateroom, are we charged for that too - or is that even possible? If we have a calling card, can we call out from our stateroom or are we charged by time on the phone no matter what? Any other suggestions? Thanks for your advice and information!

I'm not sure if this will help you out at all...last year on Costa Classica I managed to call home using a VOIP account...I had an app for it on my iphone, so the call was actually free (my particular account has free calls from this company to other numbers with this company).

The cost came in with the internet time (which can be expensive). But I had purchased internet minutes anyway. Call quality wasn't the best, but it wasn't too bad either. It's ok for a quick hello, how are you etc and call quality could vary greatly from day to day.

I'm not sure if that will help at all. Might not be worth it if you don't already have one of these accounts set up. Just putting it out there! :)

If they call you in your stateroom I think the rate is $9.95 per minute and they pay for it to call you.

very expensive.

I call from ports for about 40 cents per minute from internet cafes. I turn off my cell phone.

Let them call you if there is a emergency.

Calling to or from a ship is very expensive. That is why the crew (and experienced cruisers) wait until they are in ports. You do not say whether they are doing eastern or western Caribbean itinerary, but keep in mind that St Thomas and San Juan are both part of the US and usually work with US cells phones at normal US prices. Otherwise, it is still much cheaper to use a cell phone or internet in a port then on the ships. When we are on cruises (and we cruise about 75 days a year) we always take our Netbook with us in ports. The crew normally knows where to go for free (or very cheap) WiFi. Cell phones are also quite reasonable in the Caribbean.

Hank

Please note that both the sender and the receiver of a ship-to-shore call are charged at the $9.95 per minute rate -- so a call is almost $20.00 per minute. It's cheaper for both you and the people on-shore to call using your cell phone. Just shut off the data roaming feature of your cell phine to prevent expensive data charges.

Please note that both the sender and the receiver of a ship-to-shore call are charged at the $9.95 per minute rate -- so a call is almost $20.00 per minute.
If you're asserting that's the case for a call from the ship to land I'd appreciate a link showing that.

I have a blackberry, and typically communicate with family at home via email. I just wait until I get a land-based signal. You may want to check with your cell provider if traveling internationally. They may be able to set you up for international cell service for a very small fee.

Family at home have the phone and fax contact numbers for the ship in case of emergency, but wouldn't use them otherwise.

other than an emergency, what is so important about keeping in touch with home. YOU ARE ON VACATION. if things are that bad at home health wise, stay home and be by that loved ones side. before the bashing starts, this is MY OPINION and how i would handle it within my family and loved ones. if you must keep calling home, why not stay home????????????????????????

I am responsible for the care of a relative who has been in a nursing home for 2 1/2 years. They could die at any time. I don't choose to sit home and wait for years in case that is the week they die. Instead, I make arrangements how I can be contacted.

other than an emergency, what is so important about keeping in touch with home. YOU ARE ON VACATION. if things are that bad at home health wise, stay home and be by that loved ones side. before the bashing starts, this is MY OPINION and how i would handle it within my family and loved ones. if you must keep calling home, why not stay home????????????????????????

In general, yes, I agree with this, but every situation is different and you have no idea why people may need to be in contact with home. The OP was looking for information not your opinion.

I am responsible for the care of a relative who has been in a nursing home for 2 1/2 years. They could die at any time. I don't choose to sit home and wait for years in case that is the week they die. Instead, I make arrangements how I can be contacted.

Keep in mind that anyone can telephone a cruise ship nearly anywhere in the world. Most of the cruise lines give instructions in their documents and you can also find out how to dial a ship by looking on line. And yes, it is expensive (about $10 a min) but it does work. Also keep in mind if you are one of those folks who takes a closed-loop cruise and still uses only a birth certificate, there is no way you could leave a ship at any intervening non-US port. It's one reason folks should always have a valid passport.

Hank

If there is an extreme emergency at home the person on land may be able to contact the American Red Cross with the passengers name, date of sailing, cruise line, and vessel name to relay the message.

The other option is to use the internet email services or text plans which are very reasonable.

The OP was looking for information not your opinion.

You post something on CC, you are going to get opinion as well as information. That is how this board works.

And sometimes it is good to take the advice of such opinion.

FWIW, if I had a family that "insisted on keeping in touch" with me while I was cruising, they would not even get so much as the name of the ship I was on.

Just my humble opinion, of which I am happy to share.

If someone is unreasonably asking for contact while you are on vacation, just give them the 900 number for the ship. It will cost them about $10 per minute.

Just what I want while sleeping in my cabin is a call from some family member busybody every day.:eek:

No thanx.

Archived