Princess ending 24/7 Horizon Court availability???

flamomo

We've always found lots of edible things up there, but of course we usually go on the Sapphire Princess, too. There are plenty of apples, oranges, plums, grapes, chopped-up mixed fruit, cole slaws, a fresh salad bar with all the fixins', lots of whole grain rolls, bread rolls, some lunch meats, cookies, desserts, cheese platters, and around midnight they do dump a bunch of burgers/hot dogs into the mix. They have pastas, sandwiches, tortilla chips, salsas, taquitos, tortillas, and I've even seen a carving station during light-snack hours. On the Golden we did not see a carving station at light-snack hours, but all the aforementioned items as well as mashed potatoes and meats with gravy AND the same Greek salad that was available at the IC was also in the HC for light-snack.

I guess it depends what ship you're on.

I've noticed you usally go on the Caribbean Princess by your signature, so maybe on the Caribbean Princess the food is not as sufficiently stocked, and I'm wondering, since you've mentioned the wilted salads, are you talking about Caribe Cafe at the back of the ship or the Horizon Court buffet? I noticed on the Emerald, which is a sister ship to the Caribbean P, that all 10 days of our cruise, only the Caribe Cafe was open after hours, and I do remember that the Caribe Cafe didn't have NEARLY as much to choose from as the Horizon Court does on the Sapphire, Golden and Grand. That is one of the things that we liked the least about the Emerald, is the Caribe Cafe's very limited selections.

We have never seen a wilted salad of any kind on the Sapphire or the Golden or the Star or the Grand.

But I can assure you that there is always plenty of fresh salad offerings, not pre-made, available at the off-hours on every ship we've been on EXCEPT for the Emerald. The HC is so much better for late-night snacking than the Caribe Cafe.

Everyone has their own experience and each cruise is different, but we have been on the Golden, Star, Coral and Sapphire within the past two years and the pickin's in the HC have been slim after midnight.

My DH (who is a regular night owl) says he mostly finds 'leftovers' in the buffet after midnight. To me, it doesn't seem wasteful to use up the food that would probably be dumped the next day anyway. Mind you, if Princess is instituting this fleet wide it must be saving them something, even if it's the operational costs of keeping food available.

I'd still love to know if IC will in fact be open late. Guess I'll find out from DH in November. The 'onwards' mention on the Princess site leaves lots of potential for interpretation.

As a reminder, its been confirmed that hours will vary based on indvidual sailing (hence the onward). They haven't said directly, but as an example, I would expect cruises with many teens to perhaps have later hours, or cruises in midsummer alaska when it is light out so late as opposed to maybe Sept.

My DH (who is a regular night owl) says he mostly finds 'leftovers' in the buffet after midnight. To me, it doesn't seem wasteful to use up the food that would probably be dumped the next day anyway. Mind you, if Princess is instituting this fleet wide it must be saving them something, even if it's the operational costs of keeping food available.

I'd still love to know if IC will in fact be open late. Guess I'll find out from DH in November. The 'onwards' mention on the Princess site leaves lots of potential for interpretation.

We've always found lots of edible things up there, but of course we usually go on the Sapphire Princess, too. There are plenty of apples, oranges, plums, grapes, chopped-up mixed fruit, cole slaws, a fresh salad bar with all the fixins', lots of whole grain rolls, bread rolls, some lunch meats, cookies, desserts, cheese platters, and around midnight they do dump a bunch of burgers/hot dogs into the mix. They have pastas, sandwiches, tortilla chips, salsas, taquitos, tortillas, and I've even seen a carving station during light-snack hours. On the Golden we did not see a carving station at light-snack hours, but all the aforementioned items as well as mashed potatoes and meats with gravy AND the same Greek salad that was available at the IC was also in the HC for light-snack.

I guess it depends what ship you're on.

I've noticed you usally go on the Caribbean Princess by your signature, so maybe on the Caribbean Princess the food is not as sufficiently stocked, and I'm wondering, since you've mentioned the wilted salads, are you talking about Caribe Cafe at the back of the ship or the Horizon Court buffet? I noticed on the Emerald, which is a sister ship to the Caribbean P, that all 10 days of our cruise, only the Caribe Cafe was open after hours, and I do remember that the Caribe Cafe didn't have NEARLY as much to choose from as the Horizon Court does on the Sapphire, Golden and Grand. That is one of the things that we liked the least about the Emerald, is the Caribe Cafe's very limited selections.

We have never seen a wilted salad of any kind on the Sapphire or the Golden or the Star or the Grand.

But I can assure you that there is always plenty of fresh salad offerings, not pre-made, available at the off-hours on every ship we've been on EXCEPT for the Emerald. The HC is so much better for late-night snacking than the Caribe Cafe.

From what you describe it sounds like a full operating buffet. This is not the case on CB. On CB horizon court is closed and they use Cafe Caribe as the afterhours buffet. As you can see I have been on CB more than once so my experience was not a onetime exception which is why closing it at 12:00am is no lose. To each his own as my son is disappointed.

I don't think or see it that they would cancel their cruise specificly because they don't/won't have food at 3:00am, but rather Princess has always seperated itself from other lines by advertisting 24 hour dinning, and many have come to expect that as part of their Princess experience, now by eliminating it Princess has thrown themself back into the mix for their cruise dollar with other cruiselines. I think it's more "they taken something away" from what we expect type reaction, then just that there's no food at 3:00am.

And to be truthful, I kinda feel that way too, like Princess has cheapened my cruise experience.

Srpilo

You bring it exactly to the point. 24 hour dining was just something special that many others just did not offer

Holy smokes :eek: My DW and I have only gotten involved in cruising since Sep 2010 and have only two cruises under our belts. Third is in two weeks and fourth set for February, fifth set for May. We have been involved in CC since the beginning and have read thousands of post concerning thousands of topics from embarkation problems to alcohol policy to beds and pillows but I must say this thread is the most entertaining if one is looking for petty gripes. Food of all kinds, hot dogs, hamburgers, full meals, buffets, international cuisine, coffees, teas, alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages served from: 5am till midnight, 1 or 2 am depending on the ship, number of passengers etc.;

seems to me to be 19 plus hours of food and drink and still there are those who believe that full course meals should be offered, in the restaurants based on the fact that they can't seem to sleep through the night. And to think that I was thrilled to have been able to call and order and have delivered a pizza at 11 pm. Ladies and gentlemen, sit back and enjoy the ride and don't worry, there will be enough to eat, I bet, somewhere on the ship, whenever you want it, unless you can't sleep at 3 am and in that case you shouldn't be looking for food, you should be looking for the ship's doctor to get a sleeping aid. Just my opinion ;)

Just got back from the Grand in the Med. Horizon Court closed at 11:30pm and reopened at 05:00. Also, the daily afternoon hour of free scooped ice cream in Horizon Court has been replaced with free day long soft serve cones at Scoops.

Just got back from the Grand in the Med. Horizon Court closed at 11:30pm and reopened at 05:00. Also, the daily afternoon hour of free scooped ice cream in Horizon Court has been replaced with free day long soft serve cones at Scoops.

The scooped ice cream at the HC was stopped quite some time ago after they decided to offer the soft serve at no cost all day and evening. Maybe two years ago or more. ;) It is still available on the smaller ships in the afternoon though, those that don't have a 'Scoops' onboard.

Holy smokes :eek: My DW and I have only gotten involved in cruising since Sep 2010 and have only two cruises under our belts. Third is in two weeks and fourth set for February, fifth set for May. We have been involved in CC since the beginning and have read thousands of post concerning thousands of topics from embarkation problems to alcohol policy to beds and pillows but I must say this thread is the most entertaining if one is looking for petty gripes. Food of all kinds, hot dogs, hamburgers, full meals, buffets, international cuisine, coffees, teas, alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages served from: 5am till midnight, 1 or 2 am depending on the ship, number of passengers etc.;

seems to me to be 19 plus hours of food and drink and still there are those who believe that full course meals should be offered, in the restaurants based on the fact that they can't seem to sleep through the night. And to think that I was thrilled to have been able to call and order and have delivered a pizza at 11 pm. Ladies and gentlemen, sit back and enjoy the ride and don't worry, there will be enough to eat, I bet, somewhere on the ship, whenever you want it, unless you can't sleep at 3 am and in that case you shouldn't be looking for food, you should be looking for the ship's doctor to get a sleeping aid. Just my opinion ;)

Well stated my friend.....:):):)

Bob

Holy smokes :eek: My DW and I have only gotten involved in cruising since Sep 2010 and have only two cruises under our belts. Third is in two weeks and fourth set for February, fifth set for May.

Wow... seems like you got bit by the cruise bug and are making up for lost time.

Enjoy your cruises.

Sorry but your needs and wants are not the same as the many people here who have taken MANY more than two cruises on Princess who were promised through many years of promotion and advertising highlighting 24 hour dining on Princess, and that's now has simply been cut. It's not simple matter of your opinion of what is enough food or hour of availablity, but rather Princess cutting something thats been around for much longer then just two cruises and now has suddenly been eliminated, and to flippenly criticitize posters here just because it's not important to you but may be important to some is uncalled for.

Srpilo

Sorry but your needs and wants are not the same as the many people here who have taken MANY more than two cruise on Princess who were promised through many years of promotion and adversiting highlighting 24 hour dining on Princess, and that's now has simply been cut. It's not simple matter of your opinion of what is enough food or hour of availablity, but rather Princess cutting something thats been around for much longer then just two cruises and now has suddenly been eliminated.

Srpilo

I know that I am new to cruising and maybe not quite as experienced as you and others, however I have lived a number of years and from my experience can tell you that over time, things change: for instance; I was promised a cassette recorder for Christmas but only got an 8 track player, so, I adapted; my years of working I was promised pay raises, time off and other benefits that suddenly were not available, so, I adapted; over my life time I have been promised lower taxes, well needless to say, I adapted. If not having a cookie at 3 am is going to ruin your cruise, maybe it's time to find another form of vacationing. As for me, I will sleep well knowing that the kitchen staff is working there butts off so that when they re-open at 5 am, the eggs will be fluffy and light, biscuits hot and ready for buttering, bacon crispy and coffee hot. Even the linen napkins won't be able to wipe the smile from my face :D Enjoy life, it only comes once! ;)

I know that I am new to cruising and maybe not quite as experienced as you and others, however I have lived a number of years and from my experience can tell you that over time, things change: for instance; I was promised a cassette recorder for Christmas but only got an 8 track player, so, I adapted; my years of working I was promised pay raises, time off and other benefits that suddenly were not available, so, I adapted; over my life time I have been promised lower taxes, well needless to say, I adapted. If not having a cookie at 3 am is going to ruin your cruise, maybe it's time to find another form of vacationing. As for me, I will sleep well knowing that the kitchen staff is working there butts off so that when they re-open at 5 am, the eggs will be fluffy and light, biscuits hot and ready for buttering, bacon crispy and coffee hot. Even the linen napkins won't be able to wipe the smile from my face :D Enjoy life, it only comes once! ;)

Then your "life experience" should tell you if someone has been promised that cookie at 3:00am for the last 20 years, it shouldn't bother you if they still get it now ?

Srpilo

Ps. It's the same kitchen staff working their butts off now as it was last year with 24 dining, and nobody complained then . .

Perhaps you could smuggle one of those creme brulee torches aboard for that purpose. :D

An open flame in the stateroom is a no no. Perhaps he can inject it with his mother's curling iron to crisp it up. Look for the women with bread crumbs in her hair..... That will be my wife.:)

Then your "life experience" should tell you if someone has been promised that cookie at 3:00am for the last 20 years, it shouldn't bother you if they still get it now ?

Srpilo

Ps. It's the same kitchen staff working their butts off now as it was last year with 24 dining, and nobody complained then . .

I do agree that after many years of experiencing "the 3 am cookie" it is disappointing to suddenly wake up looking for that cookie any only finding your significant other (just kidding :eek:) however that 3 am cookie is not gone forever, it just has decided to sleep in and be available, oh, let's say around 10ish or so. :) Let's agree that just being on a magnificent ship, in the middle of the Atlantic, away from the hussel and bussel is better than any ole cookie. However as a newby to cruising, I will make you a promise: If you will tell me what your next cruise is, I will see to it that a box of cookies is delivered to your stateroom. Just because I care! ;)

A 2 inch flat iron would work better. And could double up making DIY paninis. :D

70445286-260x260-0-0_Chi+CHI+Ceramic+Flat+Iron+2+inch+BIG+CHI+Farouk+Ha.jpg

OMG! :) What a great idea you have inspired. I have sent the following message to the ship's Captain:

Dear Captain; many passengers are now concerned about the change in hours for the ships cafe; many mention that they will miss their overnight cookie or will be in need of a sandwich so I am requesting permission to operate a small cafe from my stateroom where I will be serving warm cookies and paninis. No cooking appliances used: cookies warmed under my pillow and paninis warmed by way of a flat iron (suggested by my associate StillPooh). Awaiting your response. Regards, Whitecap

Sorry but your needs and wants are not the same as the many people here who have taken MANY more than two cruises on Princess who were promised through many years of promotion and advertising highlighting 24 hour dining on Princess, and that's now has simply been cut. It's not simple matter of your opinion of what is enough food or hour of availablity, but rather Princess cutting something thats been around for much longer then just two cruises and now has suddenly been eliminated, and to flippenly criticitize posters here just because it's not important to you but may be important to some is uncalled for.

Srpilo

I think Whitecaps' observations are astute no matter how many cruises they have been on. Things change and I certainly don't view this as a cut back. I wonder how much food has been thrown away because Princess has offered a 24-hour buffet?? While it may have been nice to mosey by the buffet at 3am, I'm sure that the vast majority of passengers are asleep and if the line can save a bunch of money by "cutting back" on something that almost no one is using then more power to them. :)

I probably won't miss the HC buffet if it's gone all night, but some people will. I see no point in trying to convince them they're wrong (gluttons, lazy, picky, etc.) The point of this thread is to discover when the HC is or is not open; it is not to moralize about others' choices.

*off soapbox*

OMG! :) What a great idea you have inspired. I have sent the following message to the ship's Captain:

Dear Captain; many passengers are now concerned about the change in hours for the ships cafe; many mention that they will miss their overnight cookie or will be in need of a sandwich so I am requesting permission to operate a small cafe from my stateroom where I will be serving warm cookies and paninis. No cooking appliances used: cookies warmed under my pillow and paninis warmed by way of a flat iron (suggested by my associate StillPooh). Awaiting your response. Regards, Whitecap

2.gif5.gif7.gif

I probably won't miss the HC buffet if it's gone all night, but some people will. I see no point in trying to convince them they're wrong (gluttons, lazy, picky, etc.) The point of this thread is to discover when the HC is or is not open; it is not to moralize about others' choices.

*off soapbox*

Dear Shredie; I couldn't agree with you more. Those picky people, the nerve, wanting 3 am cookies, they should just get over it and stop "moralizing" on the rest of us. :D

Archived