Princess ending 24/7 Horizon Court availability???

flamomo

My daughter has just come back from the Grand Princess and she says the new International cafe is open now 24 hours to compensate, we are on the Grand in 3 weeks so will be able to see for ourselves

I can confirm that there were no options (other than room service) from 12-5AM anymore, just back from Golden on Saturday

Definately conflicting reports from various ships....

I personally surprised that this cut back bothers me more than recent other ones, even though I'm rarely up or eating past midnight, it was always something special in past that Princess had a 24 hr buffet option, and I will miss that special-ness and vacation type indulgence found in the 24 hr Horizon when that yearning called ;)

Another paged turned in cruising

Srpilo

Definately conflicting reports from various ships....

I personally surprised that this cut back bothers me more than recent other ones, even though I'm rarely up or eating past midnight, it was always something special in past that Princess had a 24 hr buffet option, and I will miss that special-ness and vacation type indulgence found in the 24 hr Horizon when that yearning called ;)

Another paged turned in cruising

Srpilo

Could this be because the Golden does not have an International Cafe?

Well this sucks!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Being able to grab a late night/early AM snack is one of the reasons I prefer Princess of HAL, X, and RCCL.

It doesn't have to be a full buffet, but maybe Princess can consider a "Diner" where they could have a very limited menu that you could order from. They wouldn't prepare the food until you ordered it, therefore the waste would be minimized. And a few desserts, of course:D:D:D.

I'm a night owl and room service isn't practical when my cabin mate is sound asleep.

So it looks like you can still get something at the IC as there isn't a closing time listed, right? And the outside grill and pizzeria are open til midnight which seems to be slightly later than in December on the Golden.

So it looks like you can still get something at the IC as there isn't a closing time listed' date=' right? And the outside grill and pizzeria are open til midnight which seems to be slightly later than in December on the Golden.[/quote']

I wish I had kept the patters from last week's cruise.

IC closed at 11

HC closed at 12

Burgers/Pizza closed at 11

The website probably just has not been updated yet.

The schedule will vary per itinerary based on projected demand, so I suspect the website will eventually say to check the patters for your cruise.

I wish I had kept the patters from last week's cruise.

IC closed at 11

HC closed at 12

Burgers/Pizza closed at 11

The website probably just has not been updated yet.

@^##%^%%&!!

I too am a nightowl. One of the reasons I have for choosing Princess has been their available options overnight. As has been said, you cannot use room service with mate sound asleep. I tend to get up around 2am, walk awhile outside, then take my Kindle to HC for tea, snack, and reading. Back in bed around 5am, and sleep soundly till 7am.

It is hard to be up without my tea. Is there any line left who doesn't think everyone MUST sleep overnight hours?

Doug

@^##%^%%&!!

I too am a nightowl. One of the reasons I have for choosing Princess has been their available options overnight. As has been said, you cannot use room service with mate sound asleep. I tend to get up around 2am, walk awhile outside, then take my Kindle to HC for tea, snack, and reading. Back in bed around 5am, and sleep soundly till 7am.

It is hard to be up without my tea. Is there any line left who doesn't think everyone MUST sleep overnight hours?

Doug

Yeh, Cunard have 24 hour dining, or they did in January when we were on the Queen Elizabeth. I too am gutted that the HC is closing early and like other posters would like it open till around midnight/1.00am. Nice to have a relaxing cup of tea/coffee before going to bed and perhaps a little nibble of something.

To see the dining option on any ship use this link

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/dining/dining_options/island.html

Once on the page, change the last part of the URL to your ship. Instead of "Island.html" that is in the above link, type in "crown.html". It will show all dining optins and their times.

Another (good) reason for closing HC overnight might be cleaning. it provides a time to do deep cleaning to avoid Noro virus or other problems. The reason what probably costs custs/saving food, but I hope they do spend extra time cleaning every night with no one there.

This stinks. I loved going by the buffet on the way to bed after a night of listening to the bands/music play. They would put leftover food from the MDR on the line which was good. Later they would put bistro type food on it in limited quantities. Grabbing something to drink and a snack was one of the benefits of Princess over the other lines. I too have the problem with a partner who is a morning person while I am a night owl. Room service is not an option.

[quote name='flamomo']I read a post elsewhere on the web that Princess is doing away with the 24/7 service in the Horizon Court.
[/quote]

This is a good thing. Some of the people I have seen on cruises
could really use a break from their 24/7 dining.

This may also free up dining staff to help out on other shifts,
which would be a general pax benefit.

[quote name='Mara4166']Could you ask for room service to be delivered to the deck and eat it by the pool?????

[/QUOTE]

I also wondered this. Could you just order Room Service to wherever you are on the ship?

We are late diners and go to the late shows. We've always stopped by the HC for a snack before bed. :o I checked the Emerald dining hours [url]http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/dining/dining_options/emerald.html[/url]
and it looks like the IC will be our new place to stop. Actually, that's the kind of "food" we prefer at that time of night, anyways. Only problem is for those without a coffee card to be able to get something to drink.

[quote name='Mara4166']Could you ask for room service to be delivered to the deck and eat it by the pool?????

I am a morning person so this is not a problem for me - one of the lucky ones!!![/quote]
I am pretty sure it has to be delivered to a cabin number. I have never seen them deliver to anywhere on deck or around the pool before. If by chance they attempt this, and someone isn't sitting there waiting for it, they would not be able to just leave it, as they would in the stateroom. There is where the name comes from 'ROOM' Service. ;)

One point to get clarified. Is the HC itself closed up, or is there no food service but the space is open for people to get coffee and sit? If the latter, I could see them leaving out cookies or fruit or something.

But as previous posters have noted, its a cost issue, from what I have been able to gather, spoilage has gotten excessive (and remember, uneaten food either has to be re-used or processed through the waste system, adding even more cost)

[quote name='chamima']I also wondered this. Could you just order Room Service to wherever you are on the ship?

We are late diners and go to the late shows. We've always stopped by the HC for a snack before bed. :o I checked the Emerald dining hours [URL]http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/dining/dining_options/emerald.html[/URL]
and it looks like the IC will be our new place to stop. Actually, that's the kind of "food" we prefer at that time of night, anyways. Only problem is for those without a coffee card to be able to get something to drink.[/quote]

There is a large selection of drinks at the IC for those who don't want coffee.

[quote name='chamima']I also wondered this. Could you just order Room Service to wherever you are on the ship?
[/QUOTE]

When we were on the Golden a month ago, the HC was still open all night, but apparently that has since changed. What gets me is that the Teen Center was open until 3 AM. So, you have teens up until 3, but no place for them to get anything to eat?! Don't they know anything about teens?! If they are awake, they are hungry. I wonder if they would allow teens to have room service delivered to the teen center? Or have the teen counsellors order pizza for the kids hanging out there? Room service doesn't work for teens, because they want to hang around together, but shouldn't be in each other's cabins.

It would not surprise me at all if some snacks are not made available in the teen center on trips where the HC and IC are not available..

[quote name='sherryf']When we were on the Golden a month ago, the HC was still open all night, but apparently that has since changed. What gets me is that the Teen Center was open until 3 AM. So, you have teens up until 3, but no place for them to get anything to eat?! Don't they know anything about teens?! If they are awake, they are hungry. I wonder if they would allow teens to have room service delivered to the teen center? Or have the teen counsellors order pizza for the kids hanging out there? Room service doesn't work for teens, because they want to hang around together, but shouldn't be in each other's cabins.[/quote]

[quote name='generichandle']@^##%^%%&!!

Doug[/quote]

Just a thought, but...

I wonder if you could have room service deliver to an area of the ship such as the IC or HC where ever you are sitting???

Archived