Kids in CL?

I'm not sure that matters. There is no significance to who is in the room in terms of cost. It is not a child price, but a 3/4 person price. Who is to say a child is not the second person in the room, paying full fare, and the spouse is the 3rd person sailing at the reduced rate?

The real cost for a family is the total amount to book the room. You can dollar cost average all you want, but 4 people in a suite is still a lot more money the 4 people in a balcony or below.

Which is why I said at one point it can be cheaper than booking the kids in their own room. Or I think I said that. I was thinking it. I wouldn't want to pack 4 people into a small room. I would prefer to have a spacious suite with the low 3/4 passenger cost rather than pay 4 full fares for two small rooms.

Gina

As for seats, this would be a chance for parents to teach their kids manners....get up and let your elders be seated. But manners are a thing of the past for many.

Also, there are safety issues for adults in the CL when kids are running around underfoot. Senior suite guests will be there and if they trip over a running around kid in a crowded lounge.....well, you understand. Safety issues work both ways.

Too bad the concierge may be put in charge of child management issues, possibly offending the suite parent of the sweet kid, when they have to be told to manage their child during the busy cocktail hour.

Gina

Manners are just different now then they were, for good or bad. Societies change and what is expected in the past is not always continued forward by those who just see things differently. Besides, making a child stand without an outlet for activity is just inviting them to run around, they're not going to stand still for an extended period. While sitting most kids will be content to be happy, particularly if they have a book or game or being interacted with.

That would be the same all over the ship, not just in a CL. There is a big difference in safety between tripping over someone not paying attention to what they were doing, and the risk of child predators in a kids club.

Sadly, I don't think concierges will do that much, they will be more likely to look the other way, unless the situation is very blatant

Which is why I said at one point it can be cheaper than booking the kids in their own room. Or I think I said that. I was thinking it. I wouldn't want to pack 4 people into a small room. I would prefer to have a spacious suite with the low 3/4 passenger cost rather than pay 4 full fares for two small rooms.

Gina

Possibly, I know some people book 2 rooms and pay full fare on all people. It will still be much cheaper then 4 in 2 cabins in most cases, outside of 2 balconies which come close sometimes. Even then you need a GS and up to get CL access and those first two prices are usually a lot heftier. Gets closer with D/D+ families, as they can get the discounts on 2 balcony staterooms.

Take the size of the CL on the RD and add 2 squalling 3 year olds and I"M OUTTA THERE!!!..........Course, that said, when it's full, I'm in the D lounge anyhow....it's toooo small and toooooo crowded!!

Guess I can book a suite now with my 4 gk's (twin 3 yr old boys) and bring them in!....NOT! I can't imagine trying to have a cocktail before dinner and keeping the monkeys from climbing on chairs ect...Kids are KIDS...

IF (and since I'm not a suite person) a free drink is worth that much that I had to complain to get my kids in the CL for 3 hours a day then maybe I should book a lower cabin and be able to buy my own drinks...jmho

It was at the request of their Suite Guests.

I don't know - we were in 2 GS last March on Explorer - us in one - our kids and grandkids in the other. Knew we couldn't bring them in during cocktails so we took turns, worked OK - respected the rules.

We again have 2 GS next November - just spoke with my daughter, grandkids will be 6 and 4 - her response was - she wouldn't bring them into the CL during cocktail hour, its adult time and the kids don't belong there. So I am not so sure the majority of suite passengers feel this way. I guess the ones who want their children there were very strong?

I can't imagine my grandboys spending time in the CL during cocktail hour, it wouldn't be pleasant! LOL

I don't know - we were in 2 GS last March on Explorer - us in one - our kids and grandkids in the other. Knew we couldn't bring them in during cocktails so we took turns, worked OK - respected the rules.

L

When it comes down to it, there are people that respect the rules and others who think that rules are made for other people....

You and I think the same way on our grandkids!!! Love em dearly but they would Not take them in the CL!!!

Take the size of the CL on the RD and add 2 squalling 3 year olds and I"M OUTTA THERE!!!..........Course, that said, when it's full, I'm in the D lounge anyhow....it's toooo small and toooooo crowded!!

Guess I can book a suite now with my 4 gk's (twin 3 yr old boys) and bring them in!....NOT! I can't imagine trying to have a cocktail before dinner and keeping the monkeys from climbing on chairs ect...Kids are KIDS...

IF (and since I'm not a suite person) a free drink is worth that much that I had to complain to get my kids in the CL for 3 hours a day then maybe I should book a lower cabin and be able to buy my own drinks...jmho

Did you forget that the new CL on RD is now located on Deck 13 and is much, much larger than the old CL that was located on Deck 10?

We again have 2 GS next November - just spoke with my daughter, grandkids will be 6 and 4 - her response was - she wouldn't bring them into the CL during cocktail hour, its adult time and the kids don't belong there. So I am not so sure the majority of suite passengers feel this way. I guess the ones who want their children there were very strong?

I can't imagine my grandboys spending time in the CL during cocktail hour, it wouldn't be pleasant! LOL

Some parents do get it. I would have never thought to brng a child into the CL just common sense.

When it comes down to it, there are people that respect the rules and others who think that rules are made for other people....

You and I think the same way on our grandkids!!! Love em dearly but they would Not take them in the CL!!!

Thanks so much!:)

Some parents do get it. I would have never thought to brng a child into the CL just common sense.

And may I add, its not a matter of drinking or anything else, its a matter of respecting your fellow passengers and not spoiling an adult atmosphere for them. Really hope this doesn't become a big problem and spoil it for those without children. It works both ways.

And may I add, its not a matter of drinking or anything else, its a matter of respecting your fellow passengers and not spoiling an adult atmosphere for them. Really hope this doesn't become a big problem and spoil it for those without children. It works both ways.

Where's the "LIKE" button! :D

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a vocal minority group that demanded it. Squeaky Wheel Syndrome

We cruise with the grandkids at least once a year. They help me get coffee in the morning or a late night something or other for grandma. That is pretty much their visits to the CL.

Now that they can join us for happy hour I can pretty much guaranty this happening.....Would you like to join us in the CL for happy hour or would you like to head up to the kids club? The answer is obvious. Not sure this applies to most but it sure would apply to many.

Don't really care for the idea but as many say rules are rules and they should be followed unless of course they have a negative impact on the poster and then the rules are all wrong:rolleyes:. Can't pick and choose.

I have mentioned previously that on our June Ex cruise, kids were allowed into the Diamond event during happy hour. There were kids there every night, and they were all well-behaved. Maybe they were testing it in advance of allowing children into the CL.

I know that on our cruise last year in GS, I had emailed Royal about my kids being allowed to use the GS perks as they were in another room. I forget her name, but someone at Royal called me and assured me that my kids would be able to share the perks, except for happy hour in CL. This was summer 2010.

I think it's fine for kids to be allowed into CL as Royal promotes family travelling heavily and as a suite passenger, if I had small children, I would appreciate being able to bring them with me, provided they were not causing a disturbance.

I've seen plenty of adults causing a disturbance in CL (stuffing cans of beer in pockets, yelling at concierge, arriving dripping and sweaty, in swim clothes) so I don't think kids are a problem. If overcrowding becomes an issue, they will have to deal with it.

I think it's fine for kids to be allowed into CL as Royal promotes family travelling heavily and as a suite passenger, if I had small children, I would appreciate being able to bring them with me, provided they were not causing a disturbance.

I've seen plenty of adults causing a disturbance in CL (stuffing cans of beer in pockets, yelling at concierge, arriving dripping and sweaty, in swim clothes) so I don't think kids are a problem. If overcrowding becomes an issue, they will have to deal with it.

Yes, Royal promotes family travel, but so does Disney, even more so, yet they manage to maintain and enforce adults only areas. So just because one pays for a suite, now the entire ship must be made accessible to their little darlings? Forget the rest of the paying passengers who would like an adult atmosphere in a very small part of the ship for a very brief amount of time?

Yes, Royal promotes family travel, but so does Disney, even more so, yet they manage to maintain and enforce adults only areas. So just because one pays for a suite, now the entire ship must be made accessible to their little darlings? Forget the rest of the paying passengers who would like an adult atmosphere in a very small part of the ship for a very brief amount of time?

They wouldn't be trying this out just to aggravate you. Obviously there is a good demand for it.

Again, my opinion only, children in suites have access to the Concierge Lounge 20 1/2 hours a day. 3 1/2 for adults only should not be a big deal problem. If there is no seat for suite passengers and we have to stand due to children taking over couches etc, no tips for Concierge. I don't care if it's not their fault, money talks and that's how we will make our opinions known.

Again, my opinion only, children in suites have access to the Concierge Lounge 20 1/2 hours a day. 3 1/2 for adults only should not be a big deal problem. If there is no seat for suite passengers and we have to stand due to children taking over couches etc, no tips for Concierge. I don't care if it's not their fault, money talks and that's how we will make our opinions known.

I fully agree with your first point. As the father of two young kids, I have no problem whatsoever with there being some places where the wee ones aren't allowed. My family always respects, without complaint, whatever age limitations any given venue might establish.

However, I disagree with your second point. If children are present in an area where they're allowed to be, why shouldn't they have equal access to the seats? Yes, I know about the whole "stand for your elders" thing. But at ages 5 and 3, my kids are far less likely to get hurt, or inadvertently hurt someone else, if they're seated. If I'm by myself in a crowded place, I will stand and offer my seat to a lady, or an elderly gentleman. But if I'm with my kids -- not a chance.

As for your third point . . . if you want to punish someone for this new policy, punish the at-fault party, namely RCI management, by withholding your business -- and telling them why. It is patently unfair to punish someone who is in no way responsible for setting policy.

Did you forget that the new CL on RD is now located on Deck 13 and is much, much larger than the old CL that was located on Deck 10?

Nope, sure didn't forget...was using the size of the old one as an example....but thanks for correcting me!

I fully agree with your first point. As the father of two young kids, I have no problem whatsoever with there being some places where the wee ones aren't allowed. My family always respects, without complaint, whatever age limitations any given venue might establish.

However, I disagree with your second point. If children are present in an area where they're allowed to be, why shouldn't they have equal access to the seats? Yes, I know about the whole "stand for your elders" thing. But at ages 5 and 3, my kids are far less likely to get hurt, or inadvertently hurt someone else, if they're seated. If I'm by myself in a crowded place, I will stand and offer my seat to a lady, or an elderly gentleman. But if I'm with my kids -- not a chance.

As for your third point . . . if you want to punish someone for this new policy, punish the at-fault party, namely RCI management, by withholding your business -- and telling them why. It is patently unfair to punish someone who is in no way responsible for setting policy.

Agreed. The concierge provides plenty of other services, directly and indirectly, and shouldn't be punished because parents have their kids in seats during cocktail hour.

Gina

Guess I should have clarified....."size of the CL on the OLD RD"

Archived