Kids in CL?

Before anyone gets upset, perhaps we should wait to see if the policy change really makes any significant difference. We’ve been on ships when there were just as few couples in the CL in the evening, and more than enough seating space. I really don’t recall seeing many , if any, young children on the CL during the day ( that includes breakfast on the Allure) when they were always welcome.

I rarely spend more the 30-45 minutes in the lounge on any given evening ( and don’t go every night of a cruise) so I can’t speak for the entire 3 hour cocktail time. I really don’t see this as a huge issue unless folks make it one.

I would be more concerned about Suite/D+ folks bringing in their non eligible family and friends into the lounge, than those who might occasionally bring in someone under 18.

M

We only have one cruised booked at Thanksgiving where it may be an issue with the ship crowded with kids - so it won't be an issue with us - but the smaller ships concierge lounges are usually packed with adults as we have seen in the last year over 8 cruises so we shall see - If we do walk in though and there are children coloring, reading or playing games and no seats then I know my husband will take issue with it - so we will see - our next cruise is a two week repo one and hopefully there won't be many kids on the ship - we love kids but they don't belong in a lounge with people drinking, telling jokes, etc.:)

Keep in mind....this lounge is for suite guests....D+ being allowed the use of the CL is a privilege not a god given right.

Let's face it, if they didn't offer free drinks in the CL for D+ any more, or at all for that matter, then this discussion would have never come up.

The two most factual posts in this whole entire thread and two that I agree with completely.:)

My husband and I book suites and we are not happy with the policy change. We always enjoyed "cocktail time" and socializing with other guests and old friends. And, it was pleasure knowing that during that time it would be a "kid free zone". Well, here are two suite guests who are not pleased. A letter to Royal Caribbean is on it's way.

Here is why I believe D+ will not be eleminated from the CL.

1) RCL is now adding CL and DL to many the older ships - in many cases creating CL that holds triple capacity compared to the old lounges. I see that they are trying to accommodate D+ by making the venues larger. At this point, overcrowding is not an issue except on special voyages where many D+/PC members are onboard like certain transatlantics, Hawaii sailings, members cruises, etc.

2) If RCL were to eleminate D+ from the CL, then D+ would then be sent to the DL, which puts us right back where we were in April 2009 with the overcrowding due to the sheer number of D+/D members in one lounge. So, unless RCL kicks out D members from the DL and then only allows D+ in the DL and Suites in the CL, this isn't going to happen.

3) I can see Pinnacle Level possibly being lowered to 500 cruise points and that would be the level where the CL becomes an added benefit. Not sure that will ever happen either.

4) Could you imagine the chaos that would follow if RCL kicked out D+ members from the CL? If you thought the Diamond Fiasco was bad in 2009, that would pale in comparison. It is said for every 1 very loyal customer you lose, it takes 5 customers to take their place. Let's face the facts here folks, D+ and Pinnacle Members are the ultra frequent cruisers. They cruise multiple times a year on both long and short voyages. They are RCL's largest asset in terms of brand loyalty and the grassroots effort to get new cruisers onboard RCL. Think of all the people you have referred over the years. Just doesn't make sense to take that kind of action.

5) Assuming this number is correct, on our Radiance cruise last December, the Loyalty Ambassador said that Diamond Plus had around 6,000 people that qualified for the level. That means they could all fit on the Oasis of the Seas, thus proving we aren't dealing with a critical number problem here that would cause D+ to be kicked out of the CL.

My wife & I will be bringing our daughter in to the CL on our upcoming cruise in December.

Our daughter is perfectly capable of sitting on my lap and if she cries or causes a scene, then one of us will take her back to our room just down the hall. Hardly rocket science is it?

Keep in mind....this lounge is for suite guests....D+ being allowed the use of the CL is a privilege not a god given right.

Sorry, please clue me in. When exactly did God give Suite members the "RIGHT" to this lounge? I certainly think it's a privilege for all guests who use the CL. A privilege afforded by RCCL, not God.

And I don't care what anyone says. I still think a loyal customer who sails multiple times, refers friends and family etc., is certainly more valuable to a business than a customer who may sail just once in a higher priced accommodation. They may have made $5000 off of that passenger. They've made way more than that off of me and their other loyal guests.

My wife & I will be bringing our daughter in to the CL on our upcoming cruise in December.

Our daughter is perfectly capable of sitting on my lap and if she cries or causes a scene, then one of us will take her back to our room just down the hall. Hardly rocket science is it?

No, it's not rocket science but it is common sense (something a lot of people lack apparently)

Great attitude! Unfortunately, most people don't have that attitude...they would stay and get free drinks and let their kids be unruly or screaming....I think that's the issue that most people have....

I am like you, IF I took mine in (which I won't, just my choice), they would be removed if they didn't sit still and behave........

Sorry, please clue me in. When exactly did God give Suite members the "RIGHT" to this lounge? I certainly think it's a privilege for all guests who use the CL. A privilege afforded by RCCL, not God.

And I don't care what anyone says. I still think a loyal customer who sails multiple times, refers friends and family etc., is certainly more valuable to a business than a customer who may sail just once in a higher priced accommodation. They may have made $5000 off of that passenger. They've made way more than that off of me and their other loyal guests.

God didn't bestow the CL on Suite Guests, RCI did when the CL was first established way back when. They thought it would be a great perk for those guests that pay for the higher suite categories.

Unfortunately, they found out that the CL was not as popular with their Suite Guests, and the Concierge was not being used..........so C&A was given the option to extend the invitation to Diamond Members because the Diamond Plus level had not been established yet.

Once the D+ level was established these members were also extended the invitation so the lounge is now being used by suite guests, D+ and D Members.

We now have the "overcrowding" issue so Diamond Members have their invitation taken away and after many weeks of letter writing, RCI gives them a Diamond Event every evening on those ships that do not have a dedicated lounge. They also hold a special Diamond breakfast for them so that they can enjoy their cup(s) of specialty coffee free of charge.

So, the moral of this post is that the Concierge Lounge was originally established for Suite Guests and no one else and D+/PC Members are just invited guests. And, unfortunately, from reading all the posts in this thread, the word "entitlement" is pretty evident from many of them.

I would be very curious to know if a D+/PC Member would cruise on a ship where the invitation to use the CL was not extended. Just how important is a free drink?

God didn't bestow the CL on Suite Guests, RCI did when the CL was first established way back when. They thought it would be a great perk for those guests that pay for the higher suite categories.

Unfortunately, they found out that the CL was not as popular with their Suite Guests, and the Concierge was not being used..........so C&A was given the option to extend the invitation to Diamond Members because the Diamond Plus level had not been established yet.

Once the D+ level was established these members were also extended the invitation so the lounge is now being used by suite guests, D+ and D Members.

We now have the "overcrowding" issue so Diamond Members have their invitation taken away and after many weeks of letter writing, RCI gives them a Diamond Event every evening on those ships that do not have a dedicated lounge. They also hold a special Diamond breakfast for them so that they can enjoy their cup(s) of specialty coffee free of charge.

So, the moral of this post is that the Concierge Lounge was originally established for Suite Guests and no one else and D+/PC Members are just invited guests. And, unfortunately, from reading all the posts in this thread, the word "entitlement" is pretty evident from many of them.

Thank you, Patti for the history lesson. However, it really doesn't matter who the lounge was originally created for. What matters is who is currently afforded the privilege of using it. Policies change regularly, as we all know. Just because it may have originally been created for suite guests, doesn't mean they are any more "entitled" to it than any Diamond member. As you noted, when it was solely used by suite guests, it wasn't as successful. Therefore, the idea that the Diamond/PC member should feel like the stepchild of the CL and should be oh so grateful that the oh so mighty Suite guest tolerates their presence is a bunch of BS. In my oh so humble opinion.

I would be very curious to know if a D+/PC Member would cruise on a ship where the invitation to use the CL was not extended. Just how important is a free drink?

I’ve sailed many ships that do/did not have a CL and continue to do so. (Legend, Splendor, Grandeur, Monarch, Sovereign). Perhaps some may have a CL now but they did not when I sailed them as a D or D+ passenger.

On ships without a CL ( or DL), I’ll stop in the first night D event to perhaps socialize. There have always been just a few or maybe no other folks there so we rarely return. I am not a fan of the wine/sparkling wine RCCL uses in the D event and the 25% off is not an enhancement for me . I’d rather go to a bar of choice and just purchase a drink and socialize. (we do stay if we want a quiet drink) . For us – we are talking one drink each, for generally 7 days. Not a deal breaker.

What I really like is the Specialty Coffee, more than the cocktails.

M

Not a deal breaker for me (obviously since my last cruise was on a cruise line where I'm a lowly nothing :p)...but it is nice to feel appreciated by RCL for all the money I have spent thru the years......(which now that the stock market has tanked again I am wishing I had!!! LOL)

Not a deal breaker for me (obviously since my last cruise was on a cruise line where I'm a lowly nothing :p)...but it is nice to feel appreciated by RCL for all the money I have spent thru the years......(which now that the stock market has tanked again I am wishing I had!!! LOL)

Jul, it's all on paper when it comes to the stock market.........or that is what Jim keeps telling me,:D

Good morning -- I still have the freedom to spend my money where it is appreciated, and to go where I am invited and welcomed, not to where I feel entitled. And I shall continue to do so, especially if I begin to feel unappreciated. Which I am beginning to feel now.

100% agree with you. Well said.

Archived