Kids in CL?

Not directly related to this, but we just got off the Oasis and there were kids in bars all over the ship. I know the Rising Tide Bar is something to be marveled at, but we saw kids between the ages of 5-16. They were always with parents and never drinking alcoholic drinks that I saw, but it's still not an atmosphere that children should be in and I'm surprised Royal Caribbean allowed it.

Children in the Rising Tide ? Strange because rci makes $ selling drinks which they are not making off of children . Very bad buisness practice.:eek:

Children in the Rising Tide ? Strange because rci makes $ selling drinks which they are not making off of children . Very bad buisness practice.:eek:

And when you are running a family cruise line, with water parks, Shrek, and Cupcake Cupboards, it's an even worse business practice to ban children in areas where their parents might want to be.

I forgot to add my :eek:

I know for a fact that the bar staff and the person running the Rising Tide do not like it. It cuts back on the amount of money the bar staff make and the person operating the bar has to keep a constant eye on the kids.

I know for a fact that the bar staff and the person running the Rising Tide do not like it. It cuts back on the amount of money the bar staff make and the person operating the bar has to keep a constant eye on the kids.

Maybe they should find a job on another cruiseline :confused:

If they were travelling as guardians of the minor children, the children have the same suite privileges as the guardians, even if they are across the hall. They do not have to be IN the suite.

Really? Are you sure? This is new info to me. So one can book a suite and book all their children in other non suite cabins and all they can ALL get suite privileges? Very generous on RCCL's part.

M

Really? Are you sure? This is new info to me. So one can book a suite and book all their children in other non suite cabins and all they can ALL get suite privileges? Very generous on RCCL's part.

M

I believe that is false. As far as I know, the only passengers who have access to the CL are those actually booked in the suite. We had a family booking for one Family Suite and two other cabins a couple years ago. It was made clear on booking that only the people in the suite would have access to the lounge. We ended up changing the reservations, so I'm not sure what would have happened on the ship, but we were anticipating that only 5 of the 11 in our group would have suite privileges.

:p

It will be interesting to see if you change your tune once the grandchildren do cruise with you and one of them wants to join you in the CL for a soda while you have your pre-dinner drink. Will you lie and tell him/her that children are not allowed in the CL, will you skip the CL and pay for your drink in an open bar where you can take your grandchild since you feel so strongly about the CL being adult only or will you go alone for the free drink and disappoint your grandchild?
Since we took the gr,grandchildrens parents on cruises I know what I would do. First, it is insulting to ask if I would lie to them, if they were old enough to understand I would explain about adult time,smaller than that there is no question have a sitter or stay with them somewhere other than the CL. Why would you think a child or teen would be disappointed about not going to an adult facility and sitting still while they have drinks.Kids haven't changed that much,can you say bored silly?:p

C'mon friends. Let's be honest here. On most of the ships except Oasis/Allure and perhaps Enchantment because it has windows, the Concierge Lounge was an afterthought by RCCL to compete with NCL's superior suite service and privileges. On most of the ships it is a dark, ugly, small room next to the elevator shafts.

The only reason it is always so crowded is because of the free drinks. Virtually nobody eats breakfast there, because the same free breakfast can be had in prettier venues. Most if not all of the bars are not crowded most of the times and are far nicer than the Concierge Lounge. But the Concierge Lounge has free drinks.

I would much rather have well-behaved children in the Concierge Lounge than the group of adults (you know who I mean) who start gathering there at 4:30, and then sit and drink for free non-stop until 8:30, monopolizing all of the chairs and tables so that there is no room for anybody else.

The family consisting of mom, dad, son and daughter who stop in for ten minutes before or after dinner do not cause this problem.

I'm going on a cruise in a few days and I'll let you know my impression.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

And when you are running a family cruise line, with water parks, Shrek, and Cupcake Cupboards, it's an even worse business practice to ban children in areas where their parents might want to be.

I forgot to add my :eek:

Sorry, but RCI is not running a "family cruise line". They are a mass market cruise line which includes singles, childless couples, honeymooners, same-sex couples, seniors, disabled individuals, and any other segment of the population you might want to include, and therefore they should provide optimal activities and venues for all these groups. In so doing, it may be necessary to "ban", as you say, children from some areas in order to assure the best experience for the largest number of passengers. This is why adults are not allowed to roam around at will in the Adventure Ocean areas. :)

It will be interesting to see if you change your tune once the grandchildren do cruise with you and one of them wants to join you in the CL for a soda while you have your pre-dinner drink. Will you lie and tell him/her that children are not allowed in the CL, will you skip the CL and pay for your drink in an open bar where you can take your grandchild since you feel so strongly about the CL being adult only or will you go alone for the free drink and disappoint your grandchild?

Or, perhaps just say that grandma/grandpa need a little alone time, and they will see the grandchildren for quality time somewhere else on the ship at a different location. Easy-peasy.

Sorry, but RCI is not running a "family cruise line".

:)

"Especially"

"We believe that the variety and quality of Royal Caribbean

International’s product offerings represent excellent value to consumers, especially to couples and families traveling with children.

Because of the brand’s extensive and innovative product offerings, we believe Royal Caribbean International is well positioned to

attract new consumers to the cruise vacation industry and to continue to bring guests back for their next vacation."

On most of the ships it is a dark, ugly, small room next to the elevator shafts.

It is not next to the elevators on the Voyager Class, Freedom Class or the Allure/Oasis. So I guess you are just referring to the Radiance Class ships.

The only reason it is always so crowded is because of the free drinks.

Could not agree more.

I would much rather have well-behaved children in the Concierge Lounge than the group of adults (you know who I mean) who start gathering there at 4:30, and then sit and drink for free non-stop until 8:30, monopolizing all of the chairs and tables so that there is no room for anybody else.

While there are no rules about squatting I completly agree with you on this also.

Free drinks will draw a crowd everytime. Some folks just wont admit it.

:pSince we took the gr,grandchildrens parents on cruises I know what I would do. First, it is insulting to ask if I would lie to them, if they were old enough to understand I would explain about adult time,smaller than that there is no question have a sitter or stay with them somewhere other than the CL. Why would you think a child or teen would be disappointed about not going to an adult facility and sitting still while they have drinks.Kids haven't changed that much,can you say bored silly?:p

But the rules have changed and now children are allowed so that was my reason for asking. I certainly did not mean to insult you asking if you would lie to them; I simply wanted you to have all options available for your choices. So you pick disappointing your grandchild by not allowing them to join you in what used to be an adult facility but is now a family-friendly facility simply because you do not agree with the new policy. Why in the world would they be bored sitting with their grandparents and enjoying a coke while their grandparents had a drink + some pre-dinner conversation or a board game before dinner? Must have those kids that have to be plugged into ipods, ipads, video games, etc. or keep complaining "I'm bored."

C'mon friends. Let's be honest here. On most of the ships except Oasis/Allure and perhaps Enchantment because it has windows, the Concierge Lounge was an afterthought by RCCL to compete with NCL's superior suite service and privileges. On most of the ships it is a dark, ugly, small room next to the elevator shafts.

The only reason it is always so crowded is because of the free drinks. Virtually nobody eats breakfast there, because the same free breakfast can be had in prettier venues. Most if not all of the bars are not crowded most of the times and are far nicer than the Concierge Lounge. But the Concierge Lounge has free drinks.

The family consisting of mom, dad, son and daughter who stop in for ten minutes before or after dinner do not cause this problem.

I'm going on a cruise in a few days and I'll let you know my impression.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

It's just too bad that the rest of NCL doesn't match that of RCI.

Or, perhaps just say that grandma/grandpa need a little alone time, and they will see the grandchildren for quality time somewhere else on the ship at a different location. Easy-peasy.

I like easy-peasy Peggy! But you know I gotta ask the tough questions. It's in my contract.

On our 9 night Thanksgiving cruise last year I kept trying to get to bed early one night. Our grand-daughters like to stay up for all of the activities. I'd try to sneak off to bed and almost make it under the covers when their would be a knock on the door. "Grandpa we miss you... can we come in?" What are you gonna say? Like my lovely wife said "We didn't agree to cruise with them so that we could be alone." So this year we booked two. One over Thanksgiving with the family and then another with adults only a week later. (I'll still miss the knock on the door that second week!)

But I do know what you mean!

Merle

Sorry, but RCI is not running a "family cruise line". They are a mass market cruise line which includes singles, childless couples, honeymooners, same-sex couples, seniors, disabled individuals, and any other segment of the population you might want to include, and therefore they should provide optimal activities and venues for all these groups. In so doing, it may be necessary to "ban", as you say, children from some areas in order to assure the best experience for the largest number of passengers. This is why adults are not allowed to roam around at will in the Adventure Ocean areas. :)

Great response!

I know for a fact that my daughter wanted no part of the CL and I would not have dragged her in there to be bored. I did not need a sign that said "adults only".

But the rules have changed and now children are allowed so that was my reason for asking. I certainly did not mean to insult you asking if you would lie to them; I simply wanted you to have all options available for your choices. So you pick disappointing your grandchild by not allowing them to join you in what used to be an adult facility but is now a family-friendly facility simply because you do not agree with the new policy. Why in the world would they be bored sitting with their grandparents and enjoying a coke while their grandparents had a drink + some pre-dinner conversation or a board game before dinner? Must have those kids that have to be plugged into ipods, ipads, video games, etc. or keep complaining "I'm bored."
You really are a master at twisting what I said. The only point I will take issue with is that my great grandchildren are definately not plugged in as their parents are very careful of how their time is utilized.

...????....(I think it is a security thing in Adventure Ocean;))

Archived