Kids in CL?

I am one that would be very much against allowing children during coctail hour in the CL or DL. We go in there for a little bit of quiet time and to have a nice conversation with other passengers before dinner. We don't often have anything stronger than a soda so it's not about a bar environment. We just want to get away from all the kids. Like others have posted here, kids are allowed in just about every other venue on the ship. Adults need a place to get away from the kids too. (we are teachers so are only able to cruise during school breaks when there are lots of kids onboard)

I agree 100%. It's nice to have an adult environment for a brief period. I truly don't get why Royal is continuing to bow down to the almighty Suite god. Does loyalty mean nothing to them? They really are showing me some things in the last week that I'm not liking. :(

Just received this last night from suite concierge via email:

"

The Concierge Lounge is a private area accessible on a 24-hour basis.

Due to the adult oriented atmosphere and availability of alcoholic beverages in the evening, only guests of 18 years and above are permitted in the lounge between 5:00 PM and 8:30 PM. We respectfully request that guests use footwear and appropriate dress while in the lounge. "

I think it disproves the rumour for me, ill try smuggle in my 7 month old and let you know how it goes...

Has anyone actually confirmed this, or is this just another one of those threads where everyone goes off the deep end over a rumor....

-germ

We'll be on Jewel of the Seas on Saturday and will see if there is any validity to this claim, but my initial reaction to the post is that it is just one more case where someone misunderstood or misrepresented what has happened and everyone else has immediately assumed the worst. I could certainly be wrong, (it wouldn't be the first time;)) although I'm not sure why they would want to allow children, whether those of suite guests or Diamond Plus members, into the lounge during the cocktail hours. But, before writing to RCI to complain about this "change" in policy, I think it would be best to be certain that it is true.

Not sure that I understand Gina's caveat either. Removing Diamond Plus members from the lounge because they complained about such a policy seems more than a bit draconian.

On FOS in July my wife and I would stop (without daughter) by CL for a relaxed drink before dinner. Each night a family would come in, complete with 4 kids 6-ish to 16-ish. Mom and dad would have a seat and order a drink. Kids would each grab a few plates of appetizers, a soda and anything else they could carry and head out, leaving the servers to replenish and clean up.

Problem with kids in general? No. Problem with parents having no respect for other guests? Yes. The rules at the time we no kids during cocktail hour and I see no reason to change it. WJ is open and only a short distance away for the kids.

<edit>

..and this was the only real negative we included on the post-cruise comment card.

and we can all admit we've seen as many drunk or obnoxious adults in addition to out of control kids, if not more.

Michael

Agree with you on this. On several trips we have encountered folks in the CL who really should have been cut off. We have also seen some rotten behavior by kids around the ship.

"

Due to the adult oriented atmosphere and availability of alcoholic beverages in the evening, only guests of 18 years and above are permitted in the lounge between 5:00 PM and 8:30 PM. We respectfully request that guests use footwear and appropriate dress while in the lounge. "

I think it disproves the rumour for me, ill try smuggle in my 7 month old and let you know how it goes...

It doesn't necessarily 'disprove' it...it may just mean that it's not been implemented fleetwide yet.....or maybe the concierges have the final say on their ship....who knows!!!

"

Did that come from Carlos Ortiz on the Explorer?

It doesn't necessarily 'disprove' it...it may just mean that it's not been implemented fleetwide yet.....or maybe the concierges have the final say on their ship....who knows!!!

OP said her friend was on the Explorer - If the message is from the concierge on the Explorer it should be accurate.

Wow. 12 of 35 posts have nothing to do with the topic of the post but question whether it's a valid statement.

:confused:

Make that 13 out of 36!

That may be because most want to know if its true or not. Having children in the CL during cocktails would certainly change the atmosphere significantly. Our last cruise on the Explorer in March they were not allowed. Grandkids were with us - we took turns in the CL - keeping them out.

Did that come from Carlos Ortiz on the Explorer?

Or maybe that concierge has not changed the form letter?

OP said her friend was on the Explorer - If the message is from the concierge on the Explorer it should be accurate.

You might have signatures turned off - I don't ;)

waterdave will be "smuggling her 7 month old" into the CL on Allure 4 september 2011 :)

And just to make this discussion more interesting - facebook is all a chatter with this discussion as well. So we here at Cruise Critic are not the only ones discussing it.

Not directly related to this, but we just got off the Oasis and there were kids in bars all over the ship. I know the Rising Tide Bar is something to be marveled at, but we saw kids between the ages of 5-16. They were always with parents and never drinking alcoholic drinks that I saw, but it's still not an atmosphere that children should be in and I'm surprised Royal Caribbean allowed it.

While I understand that some (maybe most) adults do not want to be around kids in a bar or a lounge, I really don't understand why people say that bars are not the right atmosphere for kids to be in. We are always bringing our kids with us to a bar while waiting for our dinner to start. My DH and I have a cocktail, while the kids have a smoothie or soda or nothing. It never occurred to us that this is inappropriate. Our kids (now 7 and 14) have seen us drinking at dinner. I just don't think it is a big deal.

I get a sense that when people say that they don't want kids to see adults drinking, what they really mean is that they don't think the kids should even know that adults drink. Consuming alcohol is legal. Our kids understand that there is time and place for everything and when they are adults that too can choose to participate in adult activities.

P.S. I understand those people who say that don't want to be around kids in a bar or in a lounge, because let's face it, some kids don't know how to behave. I totally support adults only areas on a ship, provided that alternative areas are created for parents with kids.

We are always bringing our kids with us to a bar while waiting for our dinner to start. My DH and I have a cocktail, while the kids have a smoothie or soda or nothing. It never occurred to us that this is inappropriate.

Oh my, this is CC where parenting advice is endless. I don't think you want to open that can of worms. :eek:

Oh my, this is CC where parenting advice is endless. I don't think you want to open that can of worms. :eek:

I didn't think I was opening THAT can of worms. Since everyone always comments how well behaved, kind and thoughtful my children are, I think we are doing pretty good job at raising them.

I believe in open dialog about anything my children want to discuss so no subject is off-limits.

While we enforce many rules, we are lenient in areas many parents are not. To give you an example, during one of our cruises last year we met a couple with 2 daughters of our son age (teenagers). We allowed our son to spend a lot of time with his friends after dinner (late sitting) until very late at night. The other couple was very strict with the girls, they were not allowed to go out of the cabin without adults after dinner (their grandmother shared cabin with them). Yet, the couple told us there were times they could not locate their girls and that the girls snicked out of the cabin at night couple of times and could not be found. We on the other hand always knew where our son was (even though he did not have to report to us).

Anyway, the point of my post was to ask the posters on why they don't think THEIR kids should not witness adults drink.

waterdave will be "smuggling her 7 month old" into the CL on Allure 4 september 2011 :)

And just to make this discussion more interesting - facebook is all a chatter with this discussion as well. So we here at Cruise Critic are not the only ones discussing it.

Which topic is it under?

HEY HONEY,lets go to the bar,with the kids,so they can watch us, and the other adults drink alcohol:rolleyes::mad:

What do you do in a restaurant when out with kids - never have wine or cocktail? Do you cover their eyes in the pool area, when other adults order drink of the day? Are you saying that your kids do not know that you and other adults drink? I find it hard to believe.

This topic just ran on GMA recently...might find it interesting:

In New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles and other areas, "a lot of people are going to local pubs where they can just sit with their friends, bring young babies," ....http://abcnews.go.com/US/moms-enjoy-cocktail-parties-kids-play-dates/story?id=14208921

quote=DrLookGood;30400072]While I understand that some (maybe most) adults do not want to be around kids in a bar or a lounge, I really don't understand why people say that bars are not the right atmosphere for kids to be in. We are always bringing our kids with us to a bar while waiting for our dinner to start. My DH and I have a cocktail, while the kids have a smoothie or soda or nothing. It never occurred to us that this is inappropriate. Our kids (now 7 and 14) have seen us drinking at dinner. I just don't think it is a big deal.

I get a sense that when people say that they don't want kids to see adults drinking, what they really mean is that they don't think the kids should even know that adults drink. Consuming alcohol is legal. Our kids understand that there is time and place for everything and when they are adults that too can choose to participate in adult activities.

P.S. I understand those people who say that don't want to be around kids in a bar or in a lounge, because let's face it, some kids don't know how to behave. I totally support adults only areas on a ship, provided that alternative areas are created for parents with kids.

I don't have a problem with adults having drinks in front of children. I don't have a problem with bringing the kids into the bar (as long as they are NOT seated at the bar) while you wait for your table to be ready. The discussion here is children in the CL. When I stated the atmosphere would change, I ment my experience in the CL as a nice quiet atmosphere. I cannot imagine my grandchildren sitting quietly even for 45 minutes without getting ansy and possibly disturbing other adults. As far as what anyone else has to say about your parenting - ignore them. :);)

Hi Michele,

How can I tell if my signatures are turned off - help!:confused::(

I see your point and agree with what you are saying. However, it is my opinion kids are not banned because it's a bar atmosphere. Otherwise, kids wouldn't be allowed anywhere on board the ship. ;)

I was poring over this thread wondering when someone was going to mention this fact. Kids are allowed by the pool, theatre, lounges, dining rooms. Alcohol is served in all of these.

Isn't the CL being kid free during cocktail hour just like no children under 13 in Chops after 7pm?

I am not for or against kids in the CL, and was just planning on going by the rules and not brining my kids in the CL during cocktail hour and waiting to stop in after we drop them at camp at 7pm. I am not sure what I will do if the rules change. Of course if my kids were running around or misbehaving I would remove them as I would at any restaurant/store/event, etc.

Archived