How do you stay safe when the ship is rockin' & rollin'??

lindalans

If it looks like the bottles will fall, help the bartender by emptying them. Be sure that you are on a stool that is bolted to the deck. Do not leave that position until the captain or your wife directs you to. The longer you stay there, the safer you are. Walking around is dangerous.

If you leave the bar at just the right state of happiness, your pitching will cancel out the ships and you will appear to be the only sober one on board. :D

Walk slower, take shorter steps, have feet spaced further apart than normal, and use the handrails. Years ago on a small older ship with narrow hallways and no handrails I would walk with forearms raised out in front and to the side so as the ship rolled I would bump the wall with forearms. Much better than loosing my balance and falling. Have fun.

If you leave the bar at just the right state of happiness, your pitching will cancel out the ships and you will appear to be the only sober one on board. :D

my thoughts exactly:) it can actually help:D Just don't go overboard (on the drinking, not off the ship)

This past May we were on the Bering Sea in 45 ft waves (according to the Captain after the 2-1/2 day event was over). We found that my husband's cane was a life-saver for adding another "point of contact" and we only regretted that we didn't have a second cane. Otherwise, held onto rails, chairs, walls, etc. for good balance!! Was an experience, but now we feel that we can conquer anything!

If it looks like the bottles will fall, help the bartender by emptying them. Be sure that you are on a stool that is bolted to the deck. Do not leave that position until the captain or your wife directs you to. The longer you stay there, the safer you are. Walking around is dangerous.

You would have been out of luck on one of our cruises -- even the bars were shut down.

We have been in pretty rough seas too and had things fall off the shelves in the cabin ...I discovered after the first time this happen a way to hopefully keep things from falling off the shelves ..I take the blankets or towels and put around all the moveable items and on the bar area...this seemed to keep things from falling on the floor....we never had anything come off the shelves or dresser top ..now I don't know if this would work in higher seas than we had on our transatlantics and twice coming from Aruba to Caymen. The first time we encountered high seas and rocking, we had things sliding off the shelves into the floor and breaking. Oh, also I laid the glasses down on their sides before covering and wrapping. In fact on one sea day in the north Atlantic ..the seas were really rough ..when the room steward came in and saw all our items on the shelf (none broken) ..he told us that every cabin but ours had broken glasses and were a mess to clean up. :)

We have been in rough seas on several occassions.

One time the captain came on around 8:30 PM -- ordered everyone back to their cabins -- cancelled the second seating dinner -- all elevators were taken down to the lowest desk and shut down -- they were banging back and forth. All bars were closed down -- in fact -- everything on the ship was closed down!!

Whenever there is bad weather -- because I have very bad knees -- we stay in our cabin and I stay on the sofa -- we read. We only go out for meals.

I don't take any chances.

Oh my! Are there videos out there of what it's like during one of these spells?

. . . I hold the hand rail going up and down stairs though I usually do not in an effort to keep 'clean hands'. . . .

Good advice in your post, but I have to say that I almost always use the hand rails on a ship at sea, even walking the corridors. Guess I'm just super paranoid about rogue waves and equipment failures. I also wash or cleanse my hands frequently.

Thanks for all the wonderful responses and welcome backs.

I forgot to say I'll have my power wheelchair with me, and I WILL ABSOLUTELY STAY IN IT if the seas are rough. I think I'll request extra pillows to pad around me when I'm in bed!!!

Last year on the Amsterdam I was stood at the sink washing my hands and face before heading for afternoon tea. The ship started rocking and I rocked backwards into the tiled shower.:eek:

I heard the crack as I hit the floor. No x-rays were done onboard although the doctor suspected a compressed fracture. She said they healed in time on their own.

What she DIDN'T know, and couldn't possibly have known was that I had an 80% compression fracture of the L1 and a fracture of the L2. The L1 was bulging towards the spinal column and I was very lucky I wasn't paralyzed.

I was in hospital for 10 weeks, in a metal brace for 6 months, had an excellent doctor PLUS I had the support and prayers from so many people on C.C.

Ya can't keep a good woman down!!!:D:D:D

I'll be on the same cruise as you, so we can stay put together. Maybe in a bar sipping fru-fru drinks, or in Explorations sipping fancy coffee. Looking forward to it, but gotta get busy sewing. Some of my previous "cruise clothes" have shrunk just sitting in the closet all year.

It's a deal Kathy!!!!

Thanks for all the wonderful responses and welcome backs.

I forgot to say I'll have my power wheelchair with me, and I WILL ABSOLUTELY STAY IN IT if the seas are rough. I think I'll request extra pillows to pad around me when I'm in bed!!!

Last year on the Amsterdam I was stood at the sink washing my hands and face before heading for afternoon tea. The ship started rocking and I rocked backwards into the tiled shower.:eek:

I heard the crack as I hit the floor. No x-rays were done onboard although the doctor suspected a compressed fracture. She said they healed in time on their own.

What she DIDN'T know, and couldn't possibly have known was that I had an 80% compression fracture of the L1 and a fracture of the L2. The L1 was bulging towards the spinal column and I was very lucky I wasn't paralyzed.

I was in hospital for 10 weeks, in a metal brace for 6 months, had an excellent doctor PLUS I had the support and prayers from so many people on C.C.

Ya can't keep a good woman down!!!:D:D:D

SO good to hear you are out and about and going on another cruise. Hope it's wonderful!!

That Veendam cruise, on the previous post, resulted in damage to the bow of the ship that required an unanticipated dry dock this past spring to make repairs!

Sorry Greg, dude, but that dry-dock in Freeport in APR this year was pre-scheduled for a different reason. The bow damage was not that reason however, it was conveniently added to the work being done

Archived