How do you stay safe when the ship is rockin' & rollin'??

lindalans

I wear flat shoes if the seas are rough and leave the high heels in the closet.

I hold the hand rail going up and down stairs though I usually do not in an effort to keep 'clean hands'. I make it a point to stop at nearest sink and wash after using the rail. ;)

I don't go out on deck if there is a lot of spray making the decks slippery.

I take a bath rather than shower to try to avoid a slip in the shower. Hold the hand bars when getting into and out of tub/shower.

If the Captain gives specific instructions (which has happened to us), I follow exactly what he says. He definitely knows best in all safety circumstances.

In addition to Sail7Seas very good advice, I've gone to bed until the "wildness" subsides and lined up pillows on either side of me on my bed. I remember decades ago, before stabilizers, being thrown out of my bed when the c. 1976 Veendam hit a hurricane near St. Martin. If I absolutely, positively must get down to the Front Desk on urgent business, I've been known to bounce down the stairs on my fanny!:p

I wear flat shoes if the seas are rough and leave the high heels in the closet.

I hold the hand rail going up and down stairs though I usually do not in an effort to keep 'clean hands'. I make it a point to stop at nearest sink and wash after using the rail. ;)

I don't go out on deck if there is a lot of spray making the decks slippery.

I take a bath rather than shower to try to avoid a slip in the shower. Hold the hand bars when getting into and out of tub/shower.

If the Captain gives specific instructions (which has happened to us), I follow exactly what he says. He definitely knows best in all safety circumstances.

All good advice, especially the last part. If they tell you to stay off the outer decks, stay inside! Never mind how good the picture would be or how great the salt spray might feel. Stay inside.

In rough weather, I would worry less about germs and more about falling. If you're at all unsteady, use the handrails at the stairs and also in the hallways. If you keep your hands off your face, especially out of your mouth, then you don't have to keep looking for a bathroom to wash your hands.

Hold the handrails! There's an old seagoing saying, "One hand for the ship and one hand for yourself."

1. Book a cabin as low and mid ship as possible with beds in line with the lonitudinal axis of the ship Insides always ride better than outsides.

2.THE RULE OF3 That is always have 3 points of contact with the ship at all times (you have 2 hands and 2 feet). Only move one of the 3 at any one time.

3. wear rubber sole shoes , flat soles non skid boat shoes work best

The passage to Hawaii is pretty much a lake with only 1 or 1.5 days of

of an other ocean. On a scale of 1 to 10 , 10 being the worst Hawaii is a 2.5 tops:o

The very roughest we ever encountered, so far, is off the coast of Africa when Mistrals were blowing. Captain came on speaker system and told everyone to find a place to sit and to remain in that seat. Period. Sit down. That was to have been a formal night and late afternoon he cancelled it fearing ladies would not use good sense and change out of their high heels to flat shoes. It was rough through both dinner seatings but after dinner we really started 'rocking and rolling'. Broken dishes and glasses that night!

The very roughest we ever encountered, so far, is off the coast of Africa when Mistrals were blowing. Captain came on speaker system and told everyone to find a place to sit and to remain in that seat. Period. Sit down. That was to have been a formal night and late afternoon he cancelled it fearing ladies would not use good sense and change out of their high heels to flat shoes. It was rough through both dinner seatings but after dinner we really started 'rocking and rolling'. Broken dishes and glasses that night!

Wow, I've been at sea in some rough weather, but never had an order to SIT and STAY. Did they dampen the tablecloths at dinner? That's supposed to help keep dishes from sliding across the table.

Wow, I've been at sea in some rough weather, but never had an order to SIT and STAY. Did they dampen the tablecloths at dinner? That's supposed to help keep dishes from sliding across the table.

No, they didn't dampen the tablecloths. Interesting but makes sense. I've never seen them do that. There was more than one glass of whatever that spilled that night. :D :eek:

Stay in bed!:)

Hi John,

Welcome back. We missed you.

Seeing we were already seated at Ocean Bar, we quickly got refills and remained in our seats, as instructed. :D What a good excuse for another 'beverage of choice'. :D

Hi John,

Welcome back. We missed you.

Seeing we were already seated at Ocean Bar, we quickly got refills and remained in our seats, as instructed. :D What a good excuse for another 'beverage of choice'. :D

Thank you Ma'am; Good to be home!

Rough weather to the point where it becomes dangerous to walk around will usually result in the doors to the outside decks being closed and locked. Good advice already posted here; 1) listen to the captain's instructions; they will be given. 2) use the handrails 3) limit your movement; 4) hold on to fixed (as opposed to moveable) objects that are anchored

To the OP; crossings to Hawaii are, for the most part, a possitive experience! You'll find some 'movement' one to two days out of your west coast port, then it will smooth out. If you happen to encounter a storm front, all bets are off but the captain will try to avoid that;) Have a great cruise!

Like others have said, try to keep something fixed to the ship handy (rails), and if you've got to move in open areas when its really rocking try to move among groups of older passengers (seniors). If you go down they're not quick enough to get away and they'll cushion the impact of your fall. Its always better to give a bruise than get one! Its worked well for me.;)

We have been in rough seas on several occassions.

One time the captain came on around 8:30 PM -- ordered everyone back to their cabins -- cancelled the second seating dinner -- all elevators were taken down to the lowest desk and shut down -- they were banging back and forth. All bars were closed down -- in fact -- everything on the ship was closed down!!

Whenever there is bad weather -- because I have very bad knees -- we stay in our cabin and I stay on the sofa -- we read. We only go out for meals.

I don't take any chances.

All of the advice posted above is sound and should be wisely followed.

However, if the ship is really pitching, for a view that you will never forget, try to get to the Crow's Nest. Watching the bow rise and fall into the waves and troughs, with spray and/or water reaching the Crow's Nest or higher is one of my most vivid cruise memories. If you do it, please make your way carefully and safely to the Crow's Nest--and hang on!

If it looks like the bottles will fall, help the bartender by emptying them. Be sure that you are on a stool that is bolted to the deck. Do not leave that position until the captain or your wife directs you to. The longer you stay there, the safer you are. Walking around is dangerous.

Many of you will remember I broke my back aboard the Amsterdam last year!:eek::eek:

Wow! :eek: Mind if I ask how that happened??

1. Book a cabin as low and mid ship as possible with beds in line with the lonitudinal axis of the ship Insides always ride better than outsides.

The passage to Hawaii is pretty much a lake with only 1 or 1.5 days of

of an other ocean. On a scale of 1 to 10 , 10 being the worst Hawaii is a 2.5 tops:o

crossings to Hawaii are, for the most part, a possitive experience! You'll find some 'movement' one to two days out of your west coast port, then it will smooth out. If you happen to encounter a storm front, all bets are off but the captain will try to avoid that;)

I'm glad to read this! We are seriously considering a DCL to Hawaii next October and I have been wondering about the roughness and sea-sickness. I do not want hubby killing me when he feels up to it! :D Mind you I have no idea how any of us will react on a cruise.

If we are not able to book a room as close to mid-ship as possible, which is better? Towards aft or forward?

The worst seas we have been in were the first two days out of San Diego on route to Hawaii. It was Jan of 2009 on the Ryndam (I think). Other than repositioning pillows to avoid rolling out of bed, we had no difficulty. However, there were a few injuries from falls etc. Advice already given here is excellent.

We've done the San Diego - Hawaii roundtrip cruise twice on Celebrity. Once in October and once again in March. I agree that the first two days leaving SD and same on return, are the coolest and had the most 'movement'. We will definitely be taking this cruise again, but will opt for October. The weather is warmer in October and we were able to enjoy breakfast on our verandah every morning. Some days we would be entertained by dolphins swimming by as we ate:).

P.S. However, on the March cruise we saw lots of whales!

I, too, remember the elevators being disabled by the crew when we hit really rough weather approaching L.A. I was doing my "fanny bounce" down the stairs and heard the elevators pounding the elevator shafts. I'll take my chances holding tight to the banisters on the stairs rather than being trapped in one of the elevators...and I'm NOT claustrophobic.:o

I'll be on the same cruise as you, so we can stay put together. Maybe in a bar sipping fru-fru drinks, or in Explorations sipping fancy coffee. Looking forward to it, but gotta get busy sewing. Some of my previous "cruise clothes" have shrunk just sitting in the closet all year.

If we are not able to book a room as close to mid-ship as possible, which is better? Towards aft or forward?

It's generally better to go aft than forward. If it gets rough, you feel the impact of the waves more as you get nearer to the bow.

Another bit of advice is to make sure anything you've left on the dresser or desk is put away. Things that could fall over should be on the floor or securely in a closet. On QE2, when rough seas were expected, the room stewards would put the tray with glasses and ice bucket on the floor. There would be a little note explaining that this was to keep them from falling off the counter.

On Zuiderdam last fall, we had rough weather and the large drawers under the bed kept opening. (We hadn't thought to pack duct tape for such a situation)

Hi, Linda. Welcome back to the boards, and to cruising. Hope you are feeling back to normal.

My experience crossing to Hawaii is that the seas are more long rolls than rough.

However, just in case, bring a cane. And use it when walking! Stay close to the walls and take short steps. Be extra careful when crossing from one carpeted area to another; those few feet between look to be marble---slippery.

We've experienced very rough seas on several occasions, but maybe not that rough as I never had a fear of injury. We never take the elevators, so are just careful on the stairs. The carpeted stairways with railings have not been a problem but I wouldn't try the hard staircase in the atrium when seas are rough. In our experiences the rougher seas have been more often in the evenings and we have witnessed dropped trays in the MDR and one night they did cancel a show when some of the dancers almost fell off the stage.

Archived