Any tips for the Pride (or Spirit Class)?

flyboyswife

Sailing on 9/18 and booked only about 2 weeks ago. Looking for tips that only seasoned CC members would know :D and that one wouldn't be able to learn about through the Carnival website. (For example, finding the fish & chip eatery on the Conquest class ships.) Anything special I should know about the Pride (or the Spirit class)? Any and all advice appreciated! Last cruise, I had months to research and prepare...feeling a bit of anxiety now that we're less than 2 weeks away.

Thanks in advance!

If you do not see a pizza with the toppings you would like- ask them to make it for you. You'll have to wait about 10 minutes for it and they will give you the whole pie (whole pizza pie, that is;)).

Sushi is only open during certain times (I want to say 4:30-5:30, but I could be mistaken). Check out the ice carving demonstrations- very cool! Also try to get into the drink mixology demonstration- lots of great yummy ideas.

On Deck 3- forward- is a very nice area. Hardly anyone goes there...some call it the garden (although all the plants are fake). It's a great place to read a book. I found it by leaving Camp Carnival after dropping off the kids- I just went right down those steps to see what was down there- and there it was...

The water slide is pretty neat. I am sure there is a minimum height to be allowed to use it, but I am not sure off the top of my head. Perhaps 45 inches? Anyway, it doesn't end in the pool, but is still fun. They will not open the slide on windy days...

Kareoke seems to be very popular on the Pride- it seemed that there was some version of kareoke going on almost all the time;)

If you have any questions just ask...

I'm going the week before you, and for the past several months I've been accumulating others' information from these boards in a big file. Here's some pretty good ship info... remember, I'm just cutting and pasting-- I didn't write any of this stuff!

Hope it helps.

We went to breakfast on Lido...it took us a little while to find the omelet station...it's at the end of the regular buffet line hidden by a tall counter area. I'm used to the large ships that have the omelet station in the middle of two buffet areas, so it took a bit of looking to find it. We were there around 8:30am and there were no lines to speak of...all through breakfast we never saw lines get too long. The omelet was delicious. The regular buffet breakfast items were available, and while the bacon police were there...you could still get as much bacon as you wanted.

---------------------------

We have gone on the Pride the past 2 years. There were still a lot of people going formal, you would not be out of place at all. Kind of reminded me of Prom night. I wore a long black sun dress and DH wore tie with his button down shirt and dress pants and jacket. We wear uniforms all day so that is dressing up for us.

--------------------------

The Serenity area is wonderful! There’s a nice bar and couches and booths under cover. On the back deck, there’s a hot tub, small pool, couches, chairs, hammocks, etc… And the adults only rule is enforced. It was always a quiet place to go and relax with a drink or food.

-------------------------

The serenity deck was very nice, great big lounge chairs, clamshells with thick cushions, hammocks, and a few nice table / chair setups, like sectional sofa / pit configurations. We didn't use it much as we have kids, but it was very nice. It was also packed every time I walked by, so I imagine getting a seat might be tough.

-----------------------

Tea was served in the upper MDR in January on the Pride. This was great as the pianist played the grand piano located there. Very nice! Excellent selection of pastries. They seemed smaller then those in the pictures above. Equally lovely though. Really a don't miss event. Very relaxed and old fashioned, in a good way.

------------------------

Of the 7 nights on the ship, there was the opening show with the singers/dancers etc and the closing show with the singers/dancers plus some guests from the karaoke group. In addition, there were 3 nights where the singers/dancers put on a show, one night where they brought in a comedian/juggler. The 7th night which was mid week they did do game show type things, had no comedians or anything like that, I think that was the same night they had the deck party and buffet.

-------------------------

Sushi is only open during certain times (I want to say 4:30-5:30, but I could be mistaken). Check out the ice carving demonstrations- very cool! Also try to get into the drink mixology demonstration- lots of great yummy ideas.

Just one correction, sushi is available 5:00-8:30 except on formal night.

I won't be on the Pride until April, but...

Is the aft pool adults only and does it have a retractable roof?

Where is your time dining seated in the MDR...there is only 1 MDR, right?

Where are the self service laundry rooms that are closest to main or upper decks?

On a 7 nighter, when is the second elegant night?

Thanks!

Where are the self service laundry rooms that are closest to main or upper decks?

Thanks!

Main dining room is on deck 2, but the entrance to the anytime dining is upstairs on deck 3- same level as the photo gallery and the shops. BTW- no bathrooms in the upstairs MDR. You'll need to head out and use the bathrooms by the lounge. A bit of a PITA but not a huge deal...

2nd formal night was last sea day on the way back up to Baltimore, IIRC...:)

Main dining room is on deck 2, but the entrance to the anytime dining is upstairs on deck 3- same level as the photo gallery and the shops. BTW- no bathrooms in the upstairs MDR. You'll need to head out and use the bathrooms by the lounge. A bit of a PITA but not a huge deal...

2nd formal night was last sea day on the way back up to Baltimore, IIRC...:)

Thanks!

Does the Pride have a Burrito Bar?

No. and no mongolian grill either.

It DOES have a lot of naked statues and art-- a pre-teen boys dream cruise.

Choc strawberries are available at the cafe - 3 for 5 bucks. Huge slabs of awesome cakes too- we grabbed one of those before the show one night.

No, the retractable roof is midship and the roof is closed if weather is bad--rain or cold. When its closed its very loud there and many kids will be in the hot tub there.

on the upper level

deck 5 all the way aft- across from 5268

Friday

Thanks!

answers in red

On Deck 3- forward- is a very nice area. Hardly anyone goes there...some call it the garden (although all the plants are fake). It's a great place to read a book. I found it by leaving Camp Carnival after dropping off the kids- I just went right down those steps to see what was down there- and there it was...

We discovered it completely by accident while looking for a place to get away from the madding crowd on debarkation morning. Hubby and I had it almost completely to ourselves and read in peace and quiet for more than an hour waiting for our group to be called. Meanwhile everybody else was all jammed up and crabby in the more known public spaces.

• 2 years later...

There's a big thread called "All things Pride" with a lot of recent info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1329232

There have definitely been changes (cough cutbacks cough) since 2011. You'll probably notice. But then, the last time I cruised Pride was Feb 2013, so I'm sure there have been a few more changes since then, too.

Sailing on 9/18 and booked only about 2 weeks ago. Looking for tips that only seasoned CC members would know :D and that one wouldn't be able to learn about through the Carnival website. (For example, finding the fish & chip eatery on the Conquest class ships.) Anything special I should know about the Pride (or the Spirit class)? Any and all advice appreciated! Last cruise, I had months to research and prepare...feeling a bit of anxiety now that we're less than 2 weeks away.

Thanks in advance!

If you have little ones that are interested in jumping around, dancing, gymnastics, etc. the top deck in the aft rarely has anyone on it or chairs. There is a nice bench to sit on to watch the sunset too. Our girls called it the gymnastics deck! Have fun!

There is a free bottle of wine if you book David's Steakhouse the first night.

There is an Asia section to the Mermaid Grill that serves really good spicy Asian food. As the cruise goes on, the line for it gets longer and longer.

Sushi bar has been replaced by Taste Bar - open for about 2 hours every night before/during dinner.

Mini golf on top deck forward (I think it's forward).

Some say the ship is very dark and dreary but I don't find that at all. We'll be boarding when you leave... enjoy...

Thanks in advance!

We were just on the Pride last week. It is a great ship. I loved the layout....very easy to find your way around. The Normandie Dining Room is very pretty....we ate on Deck 3 (your time dining was up there).

Josh Waitzman will be your cruise director....he is FANTASTIC!!! He is a big Cubs fan just like me so we had a lot to talk about. The comedy club is on Deck 1 right under the main show lounge. So it was very convenient to check out the comedy club once the show was over.

The Serenity Area was very nice. It is on Deck 9 aft. There is a towel hut, bar, pool, and whirlpool on the Serenity Area.

I will be starting a photo review from our cruise soon.

I love the Pride, she is my favorite ship.

My tips

The comedians switch out mid week, so do not assume you will catch their show later in the 7 day cruise. They may be gone.

I agree that there were more people actually dressed for formal nights than any cruise I have been on. Many more tuxes. I think this was due to so many people not flying to the port.

Thanks to Divetrash and the others on the "Best Piano Bar Entertainer on Carnival" thread, we know who will be the PBE on Pride for awhile:

Pride: Roger Concepcion 3/30/2014 - 8/17/2014

Pride: Reynold Senn 8/17/2014 - 10/19/2014

Pride: David Hull 11/9/2014 - 3/1/2015

So sad that Roger is leaving.:( I hope this Reynold Senn guy is good.