Project Breakaway Names/Finalist

Davechipp74

I had sent in Norwegian Splash , thought it was a cute name....Good luck to all the finalist

It's a shame they didn't choose your suggestion. I like it - the Norwegian Splash. It's fitting seeing as how NCL has made a splash in the cruising world with Freestyle dining, casual dress, etc. The hull art would have been cool, too!

Congratulations to the people whose submissions were chosen.

I'm not fond of the names, though. But if push came to shove, I'd have to choose Escape and Getaway since those are words sometimes used when thinking about taking a vacation. Not sure what the hull art would look like...but then, I don't think the Epic's hull art goes with its name, so anything could be used for the other two ships as well.

I'm pretty dissapointed with the names. If I HAD to choose it would be Journey and Escape. I wish I could have submitted names (under 18). My favorite is Norwegian Paradise. I think that embodies what they were trying to accomplish with the name contest.

Someone said on another post that if Journey is chosen, they could play "Anyway You Want It" to go with "Freestyle Cruising."

Maybe it will depend on the cost. I'm sure the group Journey will have to be paid for use of their songs. But it is a good idea and would fit in with NCL Freestyle.

Interesting thought.

I think these contests are just a way to get people talking and excited about the new ships. The names were already probably decided, months before the contest even was announced.

I agree with you 100%... So much for being original. What that should have done is taken a poll on the names (they had already choosen) and whatever name the people like (you could only choose 1) pulled a name from the hat and they receive the free cruise...

Bliss and Breakaway....I have a feeling they wanted Breakaway to be one of the names from the very start.

I did not see this post and posted on the one asking about the finalist. I agree with you and someone else from the other post. I think names were already choosen. I know I put in atleast 50 names or more (I counted up to a point). I chose names like.... TruHaven.. Seascape... 2Breakaway... Jazz... Footloose... FancyFree... Blissaway.... SeaHaven... and a lot more others... As I said on the other post... they should have just took a poll on the names they had already choosen, and let people pick only 1 from the names as their entry, and pulled names from a hat...

Norwegian BREAKAWAY? Really? I thought "creativity" and "originality" were supposed to be part of the judging critieria...how in the world is using the same name as the project name considered original and creative?

If they wanted to use Breakaway as the ship name, then why not have something else be the project name? They could have named it something generic, like Project Alpha. Or at least a name they had no intention of using for the ship...like Project Bob.

I actually submitted Bliss, Escape, and Journey (although apparently I wasn't the first).

I hesitated about submitting "Bliss"...since it's already the name of a popular venue onboard NCL's ships (the Bliss lounge). Again, not really creative or original.

I hesitated about submitting "Escape"...I thought it might have a negative connotation with a jailbreak reference. If Escape and Getaway are used together, that really brings a criminal image to mind! Ever heard of a movie called "The Getaway" starring Steve McQueen? Synopsis: A recently released ex-con and his loyal wife go on the run after a heist goes awry.

I like Norwegian Journey the best, but I don't think it really goes with any of the other names...there's no strong connection between those as sister ship names, like for example, the Jewel class (Jewel, Gem, Jade, Pearl). I think Norwegian Journey would go great with Norwegian Quest or Norwegian Odyssey...come to think of it, they also go with Norwegian Epic as well.

I thought the project was called breakaway. I never thought they would consider that as the actual name of the ship.

Journey or Escape are OK, but I like Bliss because that was one of my entries.

I agree. Why call it project breakaway and then possibly choose to call one of the ships the Norwegian Breakaway. Sounds a little weird to me, like the ship might break apart.

I didn't enter but do like Journey or Bliss.

I like the decor rendering of the balcony cabin, why do the solo cabins have to have such funky decor? The solo reminds me of a padded cell, why can't they do something more 'relaxing' in there as well?

About half the number of solos of EPIC, I wonder if NCL didn't have the moneymaker they were looking for in those cabins. They will now be very quick to sell out, and will there be the same vibe in the solo lounge with a max capacity of just under 60 passengers??

I like the decor rendering of the balcony cabin, why do the solo cabins have to have such funky decor? The solo reminds me of a padded cell, why can't they do something more 'relaxing' in there as well?

About half the number of solos of EPIC, I wonder if NCL didn't have the moneymaker they were looking for in those cabins. They will now be very quick to sell out, and will there be the same vibe in the solo lounge with a max capacity of just under 60 passengers??

I expected this sort of thing... :(

When you consider that the Breakaway Ships are smaller than Epic, but that they have nearly identical passenger capacities, it is only logical that to be able to fit the same number of people into a smaller space, NCL would have to "cut" some things....for example, we've apparently lost 50% of the Studio Cabins. That space will be used for something else.

I wouldn't be surprised to see even more "cuts" as NCL reveals additional details about Breakaway over the coming months.

Norwegian Cruise Line selected five finalist names in its ‘Norwegian’s Cruising for Names’ contest with USA Today.

They are Norwegian Bliss, Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Getaway, and Norwegian Journey.

NCL will announce the two winning names on Sept. 13.

I'm not thrilled with these names either. I was really looking for something innovative. Also, when talking with others, we usually say - "We were on the Epic or we are going to be on the Jewel next month" - so, I also think the name should sound good with "the" in front of it.

I spoke to my NCL TA yesterday and he said they will begin taking reservations in October for the first of the new ships. However, at this time he does not know where it will sail.

I really can't wait until they say WHERE they are going to be sailing. This is going to determine if I sail on the new ships or not. The waiting is killing me.

you may be in a good position to do some stalking sooner then you think

i was on the GEM in jan '10, and they had a whole presentation all about the EPIC, it was almost an hour long and they went into great detail about a lot, in fact it prompted me to buy future cruise rewards. it was only a few weeks after i got back home did i see the same info come out on different web sites.

so maybe you can check the freestyle daily for some sort of project breakaway presentation. i wouldnt be surprised if NCL was giving a sneek peek onboard before its released on the net. :)

If would be really nice if they were to tell me more while I'm on my cruise to "convince" me to by a certificate to cruise the new ship. :D ;)

NCL has now released more info on spa-rooms and studios

http://www2.ncl.com/project-breakaway/staterooms

I seen that earlier today. I'm excited to see that they are keeping the studios like they are on the Epic. We LOVED them!

I see the studio sleeps up to 2. :confused:

Yes, they are 2 single beds put together. That's how the Epic was last year and it was plenty big enough for both me and my husband with no problems. It was the most comfortable bed ever. We didn't want to leave. :D

I thought there were a ton of great ideas on that old thread when the contest first came out. Many were creative and new. I think this naming thing was overhyped and its fallen flat.

I agree. I liked a lot of the unique names people came up with on that thread.

Someone said on another post that if Journey is chosen, they could play "Anyway You Want It" to go with "Freestyle Cruising."

That does make sense and could be a good marketing tool. I bet they'll pick that one.

Archived