Project Breakaway Names/Finalist

Davechipp74

I agree with those who have been saying that the names do not inspire. My fear is that they will choose Breakaway and Getaway because that's what you find in the thesaurus when you look up escape. But, these are names only a marketing wienie could love.

I'm sailing on the Pearl. :) I'm sailing on the Pride of America. :) I'm sailing on the Breakaway. :confused: I'm sailing on the Getaway. :mad:

Put me on the list for Majesty and Crown. But, since they don't seem to be choices, count me in for Norwegian Escape and Norwegian Journey.

I agree with those who have been saying that the names do not inspire. My fear is that they will choose Breakaway and Getaway because that's what you find in the thesaurus when you look up escape. But, these are names only a marketing wienie could love.

I'm sailing on the Pearl. :) I'm sailing on the Pride of America. :) I'm sailing on the Breakaway. :confused: I'm sailing on the Getaway. :mad:

Put me on the list for Majesty and Crown. But, since they don't seem to be choices, count me in for Norwegian Escape and Norwegian Journey.

i totally agree with your logic. The only two that don't sound awkward when you say "I'm sailing on..." are Escape and Journey.

I just saw that. I wish they would have picked one of mine! I did out in Journey but I guess I wasnt fast enough. On their Facebook page they are asking which one you like. I put in Escape and Journey. I hope someone from this board wins!!

I'm so glad there won't be an Epic 2.... However, they announced this big contest for their new "Project Breakaway," I never imagined they'd be looking for Norwegian Breakaway as a possible candidate.... Why didn't they just pick the names themselves?

I had Norwegian Horizon... I'd rather tell people I've got a 14-day back2back on the Horizon vs. The Breakaway.... We're cruising on the Breakaway... Sounds like taking a ride a giant ice flow the broke away from Antarctica.... Just sayin....

And I thank You...

JWK: not bitter... really :rolleyes:

I have to admit, I don't like ANY of the finalists names - they are just so unoriginal and ordinary and well...uncool. I love NCL - especially the suite life, but these names are just so disappointing and ho hum.

I would have come up with names like:

Nirvana

Shangri-La

Utopia

because, afterall, aren't cruises on NCL a little piece of paradise on earth?

WOW....great names. Did you submit those??? I REALLY like Shangri-La.

I agree...Majesty and Crown would be great names...did you submit them? I would not book on a ship named "Breakaway" since it doesn't inspire any kind of fun and sailing on somethat sounds like it would "break" would not make me feel too confident.

I submitted Bliss, but obviously not early enough.....

I agree with most posts - the names picked are nothing special......

For the record, I also submitted: Diamond, Goddess, Emerald, Serenity, Queen, Universe, Goodwill, Paradise, Nirvana, Treasure, Victoria, Conquerer, Hero, and Ocean Queen....

WOW....great names. Did you submit those??? I REALLY like Shangri-La.

Unfortunately, I didn't know about the contest until AFTER it was over. I guess I can't complain about whatever names they pick since I didn't contribute in the first place...(hangs head and heaves a sigh.) Still, I really don't like the finalist names that they chose. They won't keep me off the ships, but they are disappointing, IMO.

... Queen....

I never submitted any, but I've often thought that maybe they should go for regal titles, at least for this particular class of ships. But I'm unsure of how NCL feels about royalty nowadays, especially since they became American owned.

I'd like to see King, Queen, Prince, Princess (damn the competition, use it anyways), Duke, Duchess...if they add more ships of the same class they could even go on and use Baron, Knight, Count, et al.

Getaway and Breakaway are two of the dumbest names I have ever heard for a ship. Just.........no.

I agree. Getaway makes me think of Bonnie and Clyde and other bank robbers and Breakaway - as a ship name sounds almost doomed - I can only imagine all the jokes and/or goofy headlines any time a ship named Breakaway would have a minor accident or if it has a big one - well - it's just not a good name at all. (Imagine headlines like: NCL Breakaway BROKEN! or worse...and even positive headlines could be embarrassing: NCL Going for Broke with Breakaway) UGH!

If you look at the existing fleet 90% of names are 3-5 letters long. So I can't see any long names like breakaway or getaway so it'll be Bliss and Escape

This was how I was leaning too when I submitted my name choices. I still like Norwegian Charm but since it wasn't selected as a finalist, I will say I like Bliss and Escape the best. :)

Archived