Project Breakaway Names/Finalist

Davechipp74

For those who haven't seen it yet...NCL has picked the finalist that came up with the names to the 2 new project breakaway ships:

-Norwegian Bliss, David Menker,Texas

-Norwegian Breakaway, Kimberly Powell,Louisiana

-Norwegian Escape, Joseph Funigiello,Florida

-Norwegian Getaway, Dennis Hultman,Virginia

-Norwegian Journey, Florence Pflaster,North Carolina

Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet. If so, sorry, but I didn't see it yet. :)

I'm happy for the finalists, but does anyone else think its odd that they are basically from the Southeast part of the country?

I have to admit, I don't like ANY of the finalists names - they are just so unoriginal and ordinary and well...uncool. I love NCL - especially the suite life, but these names are just so disappointing and ho hum.

I would have come up with names like:

Nirvana

Shangri-La

Utopia

because, afterall, aren't cruises on NCL a little piece of paradise on earth?

Of the 5 to choose from, I would choose Journey. Then they can use
for marketing their freestyle cruising.

This is a really good idea.

I would choose Escape and Journey...Isn't it ironic that one of Journey's albums is titled Escape. ;-)

Don't really like any of them...

Ford Escape anyone?

Bliss obvious from the bar .. I entered Blissful as a variation

Journey .. already a cruise ship, hate same names on different cruise lines

Breakaway is too obvious .. why did they need a contest anyway?

Getaway like a fast getaway from a robbery (as someone else said too)

Just my 2 cents .. good luck to all the finalists though.

I had hoped NCL would re-use the names of the ships that they retired: Norwegian Crown and Norwegian Majesty - they seem so fitting for new large ships.

Out of the 5 final names only Bliss and Escape are the most suitable. All other 3 do not fit at all.

I had hoped NCL would re-use the names of the ships that they retired: Norwegian Crown and Norwegian Majesty - they seem so fitting for new large ships.

Out of the 5 final names only Bliss and Escape are the most suitable. All other 3 do not fit at all.

I agree with tradition and using names of former ships. It shows you are proud of your past. I went with Norwegian Dynasty which was the Norwegian ship with the shortest history as far as I know. She was leased as is the same situation with the Sky.

For those who haven't seen it yet...NCL has picked the finalist that came up with the names to the 2 new project breakaway ships:

Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet. If so, sorry, but I didn't see it yet. :)

OMG im sooo pissed! I had some great names. Those names they picked were so ordinary.

Thanks for the info mitsugirly!

Im going on the Jewel this Saturday to the Bahamas...hopefully hurricane maria doesnt come near us!

I have to admit, I don't like ANY of the finalists names - they are just so unoriginal and ordinary and well...uncool. I love NCL - especially the suite life, but these names are just so disappointing and ho hum.

I would have come up with names like:

Nirvana

Shangri-La

Utopia

because, afterall, aren't cruises on NCL a little piece of paradise on earth?

your names are WAY BETTER!!!!!

If any of the finalists are reading this, good luck.

I do have to admit that I am not over the moon thrilled with any of them though but if push came to shove I'd have to choose between Bliss and Escape. Truly the name is not my priority anyway ... I want more details of the first new ship:D

Im going on the Jewel this Saturday to the Bahamas...hopefully hurricane maria doesnt come near us!

Hope you have a wonderful time and no hurricanes. We are leaving Sunday on the Spirit. Hoping for the same here. With Nate now down in the Gulf...who knows at this point. Hopefully not a repeat of last week and this weeks Spirit cruises. :cool:

Well, I sent in the name Escape as well. :mad:

Hmmm....Breakaway.....wonder why I didn't think of that?

Oh right, they already had that one planned.

If that one wins I must really ask myself why they had a contest.

I really suspect that you are pretty close to the truth here.

It seems to be unlikely that NCL would go through the entire design process for two ships and not come up with somthing as simple as (and as important as) names for them.

It also seems unlikely that NCL would just allow the general public to name their ships...they would want to have some control over the process.

So...in the interest of generating a buzz about the new ships AND to stir up some free press coverage, they hold a "Name Our Ships" contest. (It seems more likely that they are having a "We've already picked out the names, but we're holding a "Guess What Name We Picked For Our Ships" contest.)

Look at the theme for the contest:

From the press release:
The cruise line is looking for names for its two Project Breakaway ships that reflect the innovation of the brand along with the freedom and flexibility of its signature Freestyle Cruising and invoke the feeling that these ships provide a "break" at sea from the stress of everyday life.

Any possibility that this theme was meant to "steer" guesses toward the already picked names?

Personally, I think monicajay's take on this is probably very accurate.

Archived