Waiters don't get 100% of tips?

KShuman

Bitter maybe:confused:

That would be my guess.

I think the cruise lines make it very clear that the steward portion gives a part of his/her to their assistant; that the servers in the MDR give a portion to their assistants and that part goes to the buffet servers on the lido.

All the more reason to LEAVE THE AUTO TIPS ON and give an envelope of cash when you think more is deserved. A Thank You note doesn't hurt, either.:rolleyes:

Yes, we do keep all of the tip. We are supposed to tip helpers such as busboys & bartenders but the restaurant cannot force you to. The restaurant also absorbs the fee from credit cards on tips.

That depends on the restaurant and the policies they set forth. My wife manages a well known chain and they do require tipping out bartenders and bussers.

That depends on the restaurant and the policies they set forth. My wife manages a well known chain and they do require tipping out bartenders and bussers.

Yes, tipping is technically required but the restarant cannot force you. They can do other things like not giving you a good schedule or station, but they cannot take it from you, at least not here in Cali.

TIPS: "A voluntary additional payment made for services rendered"

We agree; the stateroom attendants(s), dining room staff etc. DO deserve their 100% pro-rata share of the automatic tipping charge, AND passengers DO deserve 100% service.

After all, TIPS (=) "To Insure Prompt Service", Benefits all parties 100%.;)

TIPS: "A voluntary additional payment made for services rendered"

We agree; the stateroom attendants(s), dining room staff etc. DO deserve their 100% pro-rata share of the automatic tipping charge, AND passengers DO deserve 100% service.

After all, TIPS (=) "To Insure Prompt Service", Benefits all parties 100%.;)

oh my! that would be ensure, not insure. :rolleyes:

"Oh my!" indeed...;) we had to look it up again just to be (in)sure...and sure enough it says TIPS 'To Insure Prompt Service' Insure...oh well as long as it is 100% we are happy. :)

Interesting. I looked it up on allacronyms.com & says To Improve Prompt/Professional Service.... I only looked it up because I have seen people here correct others over & over that it is Ensure, not Insure. IF allacronyms.com is correct, it is neither.

"Oh my!" indeed...;) we had to look it up again just to be (in)sure...and sure enough it says TIPS 'To Insure Prompt Service' Insure...oh well as long as it is 100% we are happy. :)

try snopes. just how much do they charge to insure that service?

1. snopes.com: Etymology of Tip •••

Was 'tip' formed from an acronym of 'To Insure Promptness'?

...Home --> Language --> Acronyms --> Tip Sheet Tip Sheet Claim: The word "tip" comes from an acronym for "To Insure Promptness" or "To Insure...

...exactly why tips To Insure Promptness evolved in the first place? [Collected on the Internet, 2001] Well you know, TIP is an acronym for "To...

...Tip is an old word, and it has nothing to do with either acronyms or the act of attempting to influence quality of service. Although the word has many...

Thu, 08 Sep 2011 17:49:28 GMT http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp

1. Snopes.com: Etymology of tip •••

was 'tip' formed from an acronym of 'to insure promptness'?

...home --> language --> acronyms --> tip sheet tip sheet claim: The word "tip" comes from an acronym for "to insure promptness" or "to insure...

...exactly why tips to insure promptness evolved in the first place? [collected on the internet, 2001] well you know, tip is an acronym for "to...

...tip is an old word, and it has nothing to do with either acronyms or the act of attempting to influence quality of service. Although the word has many...

Thu, 08 sep 2011 17:49:28 gmt http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp

We have a 'Tax' :( question:

When the automatic tips are disbursed to the Cabin/Dining Room crew etc., are the tips recorded as 'income' and are they as such subject to taxation by the 'Tax-Man'? In other words, does the crew-member, i.e. cabin steward, dining room steward etc. etc. receive the full amount of his/her pro-rata share of the tips or......???

Very interesting question...and although I am not 100% sure, I would think that the crew is not paying US taxes. The ships are not registered in the US- most are registered overseas somewhere (I think Carnival Ships are registered in Panama...). This allows the cruiseline to avoid paying US taxes (well, they may pay some but it is definitely not the full amount they should be paying- but that is a debate for another thread...:rolleyes:) and also avoid having to follow US Labor laws...

Ahhh! Lol missed that minor detail!!:p Well, after clicking on it and READING the whole thing, it goes on to say that Ensure isn't correct either(and is pretty much used interchangeably with insure) because TIP is just a slang word, not an acronym... According to Snopes... But who knows, does it really matter??

"By George I think we've got it!"

We pay extra (TIPS) beforehand or during a transaction thereby 'insuring' ourselves beforehand that a transaction is 'ensured' to be done correctly? (or is that assured...?) I'm not so sure, but it sure makes one feel sure® securer.....;)

"By George I think we've got it!"

We pay extra (TIPS) beforehand or during a transaction thereby 'insuring' ourselves beforehand that a transaction is 'ensured' to be done correctly? (or is that assured...?) I'm not so sure, but it sure makes one feel sure® securer.....;)

But if we pay it before hand doesn't it become a bribe:eek:?

Just posted by John

John Heald

A beard just asked me to conform this " every single dollar that is part of the gratuities placed on your Sail and Sign Card for the waiters and state room stewards goes to that person. None is kept by Carnival, not a single cent."........I guess someone posted something on CC so maybe Mach you can find it mate and post this. Cheers

Just posted by John

John Heald

A beard just asked me to conform this " every single dollar that is part of the gratuities placed on your Sail and Sign Card for the waiters and state room stewards goes to that person. None is kept by Carnival, not a single cent."........I guess someone posted something on CC so maybe Mach you can find it mate and post this. Cheers

See? I told y'all. We beat this to death months ago because of a previous report that someone got from a friend of a guy who's recently deceased uncle used to work for Carnival.

Rumors... things like this pop up and regardless of the facts the nonsense gets dragged on...

Foo...

:rolleyes:

When you tip your waiter or waitress in a land based restaurant he or she doesn't get to keep 100% of that, either.

That's correct! After having spent the majority of my college years waiting tables, I can say that at most establishments we would have to put a portion of our tips (based upon the gross sales of the night) into the kitty to be shared by the back of house staff such as food expos, food runners, bar staff, etc. Also- Uncle Sam will make the US wait staff claim at least 15% of the gross sales as earned income from tips. So- even if a table did not tip us 15%, we would still have to pay taxes as if they did. Just something to keep in mind... :eek:

See? I told y'all. We beat this to death months ago because of a previous report that someone got from a friend of a guy who's recently deceased uncle used to work for Carnival.

Rumors... things like this pop up and regardless of the facts the nonsense gets dragged on...

Foo...

:rolleyes:thanks for straightening this out mach. maybe you can straighten this out as well. what happens if one does not put the tips on sign and sail and only tips cash? do they keep the cask or does it get pooled?

Thank you for clarifying this for us; much appreciated. ( and yes, we'll keep that in mind;) )

That's correct! After having spent the majority of my college years waiting tables, I can say that at most establishments we would have to put a portion of our tips (based upon the gross sales of the night) into the kitty to be shared by the back of house staff such as food expos, food runners, bar staff, etc. Also- Uncle Sam will make the US wait staff claim at least 15% of the gross sales as earned income from tips. So- even if a table did not tip us 15%, we would still have to pay taxes as if they did. Just something to keep in mind... :eek:

When we cruised in June on Valor we were on an excursion in Honduras with a private tour company. Our driver/guide was actually an ex-cruise employee who had worked on RCCL, Carnival, etc. He told us that when we tip our room steward, waiter, etc. (on Carnival...I don't think this happens on RCCL) and the charge goes on our Sail & Sign account...100% of the money does NOT go to the room steward, waiter, etc. We were so shocked, but I did not ask a lot of questions. What I did do was go to Guest Services and had all the charges removed from my credit card and then I tipped everyone in cash so that I was sure they would get 100% of the tips. Has anyone ever heard about this? I would imagine Carnival would deny this, but why would an ex-cruise employee lie about this? He has nothing to gain because he doesn't work for the ships anymore.

when u did that you missed a whole bunch of people that clean up after you. The ones that that dollar per day goes to. The guys and gals cleaning the floors after us, the ones clean up our tables in the lido deck... etc... The ones that give us our food on the lido... The ones I talked to says they get all thier portion of the daily tip money... And like the other one said.. maybe he was fired and a little bitter.

Archived