Waiters don't get 100% of tips?

KShuman

When we cruised in June on Valor we were on an excursion in Honduras with a private tour company. Our driver/guide was actually an ex-cruise employee who had worked on RCCL, Carnival, etc. He told us that when we tip our room steward, waiter, etc. (on Carnival...I don't think this happens on RCCL) and the charge goes on our Sail & Sign account...100% of the money does NOT go to the room steward, waiter, etc. We were so shocked, but I did not ask a lot of questions. What I did do was go to Guest Services and had all the charges removed from my credit card and then I tipped everyone in cash so that I was sure they would get 100% of the tips. Has anyone ever heard about this? I would imagine Carnival would deny this, but why would an ex-cruise employee lie about this? He has nothing to gain because he doesn't work for the ships anymore.

When we cruised in June on Valor we were on an excursion in Honduras with a private tour company. Our driver/guide was actually an ex-cruise employee who had worked on RCCL, Carnival, etc. He told us that when we tip our room steward, waiter, etc. (on Carnival...I don't think this happens on RCCL) and the charge goes on our Sail & Sign account...100% of the money does NOT go to the room steward, waiter, etc. We were so shocked, but I did not ask a lot of questions. What I did do was go to Guest Services and had all the charges removed from my credit card and then I tipped everyone in cash so that I was sure they would get 100% of the tips. Has anyone ever heard about this? I would imagine Carnival would deny this, but why would an ex-cruise employee lie about this? He has nothing to gain because he doesn't work for the ships anymore.

Bitter maybe:confused:

from carnival faq:

What is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

NOTE: BARBADOS CRUISES

All gratuities are pre-paid and automatically added during the booking process for Barbados itineraries.

you were hoodwinked.

all your tips go 100% to your servers, except that dollar that goes to the lido staff.

this has been corroberated by john heald.

What I did do was go to Guest Services and had all the charges removed from my credit card and then I tipped everyone in cash so that I was sure they would get 100% of the tips.

I am not sure if this is still the case, but I remember once hearing that when one removes or reduces the automatic tips, that Carnival questions the dining team and cabin steward for that guest as to why the guest may have removed the auto-tips and that they must report any cash tips they may have received from that guest. If that really is true, while the gesture of personally handing a tip to an employee is nice, it seems like it is more of a hassle for both the guest and the employees.

There is also "the list". :eek:

I realize that you were trying to be helpful, but the sad thing is, that if you removed all of your daily tips, the people in the lido buffet and the MDR at breakfast and lunch who may cook and serve you, did not get their tips. It is impossible to personally tip everyone who cooks or serves you and this is why the auto tip is used by CCL.

I think that is does feel great to personally tip people and that is why we keep our auto tips on and personally tip (additionally) our steward and wait team. I also tip extra the great omelette maker, bartender, camp staff, and anyone else who goes out of their way to make my trip wonderful.

I have heard this before, we have always given our tips in cash to the staff them selves. Also heard that they don't see the money for about two or three weeks after each cruise is complete.

The staff we talked to didn't seem to bother them, I guess it is like an admin charge.

Happy sailing

Brian J

I have heard this before, we have always given our tips in cash to the staff them selves. Also heard that they don't see the money for about two or three weeks after each cruise is complete.

The staff we talked to didn't seem to bother them, I guess it is like an admin charge.

Happy sailing

Brian J

I do not receive my paycheck until 2-3 weeks after the pay period ends. I think that is typical at many places of employment. :confused:

"The list" is the list of those people that have removed the auto tips and has been seen posted in the galley. I don't think it can be posted any more - at least not in an area where a guest may see it, but I'm sure it is posted somewhere the crew can see it.

Ok, I know what "the list" is at my house....LOL...what is this "list"?

Not sure if "the list" still exists, but a poster here a while back took a galley tour and saw and took a picture of an printed email posted to a bulletin board that was sent to the heads of all the departments on-board with a list of names and room numbers of guests that has removed the auto-tips.

I am not sure if this is still the case, but I remember once hearing that when one removes or reduces the automatic tips, that Carnival questions the dining team and cabin steward for that guest as to why the guest may have removed the auto-tips and that they must report any cash tips they may have received from that guest. If that really is true, while the gesture of personally handing a tip to an employee is nice, it seems like it is more of a hassle for both the guest and the employees.

There is also "the list". :eek:

what is 'the list'??!

We have a 'Tax' :( question:

When the automatic tips are disbursed to the Cabin/Dining Room crew etc., are the tips recorded as 'income' and are they as such subject to taxation by the 'Tax-Man'? In other words, does the crew-member, i.e. cabin steward, dining room steward etc. etc. receive the full amount of his/her pro-rata share of the tips or......???

We have a 'Tax' :( question:

When the automatic tips are disbursed to the Cabin/Dining Room crew etc., are the tips recorded as 'income' and are they as such subject to taxation by the 'Tax-Man'? In other words, does the crew-member, i.e. cabin steward, dining room steward etc. etc. receive the full amount of his/her pro-rata share of the tips or......???

That will be different for every server depending on the country they are from. Some countries (like the US) will tax you on your worldwide income, some will not tax you if you don't live there for more then 10 months of the year. some don't even have income tax.

This was quite interesting http://www.cruiselinesjobs.com/tax-free-income/

The tip money does go 100% to the workers in the hotel and dining departments. The exact distribution is spelled out in the Carnival FAQs. If people would read this, it might calm things down a bit. This theme keeps reappearing every few weeks, then it dies down.

When you pull the gratuities from your Sign and Sail card, you do endanger the very people you are trying to help. Since the home office pretty much goes by accumulated data, it is presumed that the passenger(s) pulling the tips is unhappy. The waiter, his assistant, room steward and his assistant all are gigged for this. When it comes time for a new contract, those who have had this happen more than the norm may not be offered a new contract. That is fact. Expressions of dissatisfaction from the passengers are a major negative in the lives of the people who serve you.

Doc

I took what the ex employee was saying was the server didn't get 100% of the tip that it was divided among several people as outlined on Carnival's website. Since the tip distribution as outlined equals the $10 per guest per day that is charged, I doubt that Carnival takes anything out of that for the company but maybe taxes are taken out depending on their tax rules.

If you are unhappy with, say, your room steward - can you have the 3.50 per day removed if you want to show your displeasure with just that section?

We have never had service where we have had to do that, but I was just curious if you could "assign" where your gratuity money goes.

A better question might be Why would an American on an excursion with a private company in the Honduras believe this? ;)

Possible reasons for the "storyteller" to lie include:

(1) he was fired...

(2) he never worked for those companies; applied but was not hired,

(3) his excursion company wants to contract with Carnival but was rejected,

(4) he is simply repeating something he may have heard someone else in the jungle say but has no firsthand knowledge...

And so it goes. Like a few others mentioned, there are people who got stiffed when you removed your tips. I know you meant well, but... :confused:

This rumor has been thrashed about time and time again. Carnival AND the employees I've asked say that 100% of the tip money goes to the employee... not a dime stays with Carnival. Even if you wander up to Guest Services and ask to add a $20 tip for some bartender or drink waiter and apply it to a credit card all of that money goes to the individual... Carnival doesn't even retain the fee charged by the credit card company.

When you tip your waiter or waitress in a land based restaurant he or she doesn't get to keep 100% of that, either.

Yes, we do keep all of the tip. We are supposed to tip helpers such as busboys & bartenders but the restaurant cannot force you to. The restaurant also absorbs the fee from credit cards on tips.

Archived