Waiters don't get 100% of tips?

KShuman

Good lord this goes back to the cheap people are cheap.This will never change even on cruise critic!!!Some of us work for tips and understand ,some of us work in an office and dont understand

.It is what it is ,agree to disagree

If you prepay your tips you will not have any issue and everyone has bee taken care of .Why would you cancel tips and tip in envelopes as you see fit(your good tip and my good tip will differ)

the moral of the story is these people all work hard ,are away from family for the term of the contract and are usually always smiling and make our vacation go great

Not sure if "the list" still exists, but a poster here a while back took a galley tour and saw and took a picture of an printed email posted to a bulletin board that was sent to the heads of all the departments on-board with a list of names and room numbers of guests that has removed the auto-tips.

The picture of "the list" you speak of was taken April of 2009.

The picture of "the list" you speak of was taken April of 2009.

good grief! I haven't sailed that much but folks that look for excuses not to tip need to stay home!

The staff, with a few exceptions, have always outdone themselves on our past cruises.

I certainly wouldn't let a few boneheads take away from the whole.

Mardi

When we cruised in June on Valor we were on an excursion in Honduras with a private tour company. Our driver/guide was actually an ex-cruise employee who had worked on RCCL, Carnival, etc. He told us that when we tip our room steward, waiter, etc. (on Carnival...I don't think this happens on RCCL) and the charge goes on our Sail & Sign account...100% of the money does NOT go to the room steward, waiter, etc. We were so shocked, but I did not ask a lot of questions. What I did do was go to Guest Services and had all the charges removed from my credit card and then I tipped everyone in cash so that I was sure they would get 100% of the tips. Has anyone ever heard about this? I would imagine Carnival would deny this, but why would an ex-cruise employee lie about this? He has nothing to gain because he doesn't work for the ships anymore.

Perhaps you misunderstood him or he misunderstood the question to him.

If you are unhappy with, say, your room steward - can you have the 3.50 per day removed if you want to show your displeasure with just that section?

We have never had service where we have had to do that, but I was just curious if you could "assign" where your gratuity money goes.

That is an affirmative. I have always had very good stewards, and a several above and beyond... the above and beyond i tip more to, and the very good, sometimes. But I have not recieved poor service that I would pull my tips. You can pull tips from a certain division or person... say your head waiter was rude but his assistant was the best you ever had... (which I have never had that happen either). Mine have always been above and beyond except once when I just got exceptional service... lol. Same with the stewards, you have a main steward then an assistant... the assistant was rude or whatever.. but the main was excellent... but I really can't imagine that happening, the biggest complaint i ever heard from some was not getting an ash tray right away... Mine even offered to bring me an extension cord for my husbands cpap machine, and brought a needle container for his diabetes right away.. always very good. They work very hard for thier tips, and most of the time I tip extra, but don't feel you have to.... all personal choice.

Pulling all the tips effects all the hidden people you don't necessarily see, or want to chase down to find out which ones cleaned up after you personally.

When we cruised in June on Valor we were on an excursion in Honduras with a private tour company. Our driver/guide was actually an ex-cruise employee who had worked on RCCL, Carnival, etc. He told us that when we tip our room steward, waiter, etc. (on Carnival...I don't think this happens on RCCL) and the charge goes on our Sail & Sign account...100% of the money does NOT go to the room steward, waiter, etc. We were so shocked, but I did not ask a lot of questions. What I did do was go to Guest Services and had all the charges removed from my credit card and then I tipped everyone in cash so that I was sure they would get 100% of the tips. Has anyone ever heard about this? I would imagine Carnival would deny this, but why would an ex-cruise employee lie about this? He has nothing to gain because he doesn't work for the ships anymore.

Don't know the tax rules regarding tip-payroll deductions, or if employees have life insurance, or other benefit deduction, but quite simply, how would this person know? Why would they lie about it? Some people say things they don't really know as fact. Might have some animosity towards Carnival. Don't pay much attention to what ex-employees say. Why do you decide that Carnival is guilty of this accusation and not RCCL?

Carnival does manage employees, and if an employee is involved in tips removed from folios over a period of time there is probably some investigation to see if the employee needs training or attitude adjustment, or a new job. Posting this information to the crew has a powerful effect. It creates peer pressure, so that if one person is not doing their job correctly the other employees will know and this will be effective in changing behavior.

All in all, this auto tipping results in better service in total for the cruise passenger. Give some extra for special performance, but don't deduct from your folio, rather make a comment to the person's supervisor. I think some people simply don't have enough money to cruise, and take it off because they can't afford the drinks or other purchases they have made on their sail and sign card. Some people are tight, and take it off because they can.

But does Carnival have their hands in the cookie jar? Doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not see an answer to this:

When I tip someone extra -do they keep 100% of the cash or does it get pooled? Example -when I tip the waiter the last night does he keep it all or do they have to share the cash with all waiters??

Thanks

wow just seeing this.

#1 removing tips and tipping in cash changes nothing... if tips are removed, then any cash tips would be shared the same as auto tips..

#2 John the blogger says they get 100% of the tips... so I think Id be apt to believe him?? but up to you. However, for instance, a cabin steward has a asst .. would you not expect him to share if he has a helper?

When I tip someone extra -do they keep 100% of the cash or does it get pooled? Example -when I tip the waiter the last night does he keep it all or do they have to share the cash with all waiters??

Thanks

to the person you gave it to.

Thanks

yes, anything above auto tips, is kept by the person you tip.

The tip money does go 100% to the workers in the hotel and dining departments. The exact distribution is spelled out in the Carnival FAQs. If people would read this, it might calm things down a bit. This theme keeps reappearing every few weeks, then it dies down.

When you pull the gratuities from your Sign and Sail card, you do endanger the very people you are trying to help. Since the home office pretty much goes by accumulated data, it is presumed that the passenger(s) pulling the tips is unhappy. The waiter, his assistant, room steward and his assistant all are gigged for this. When it comes time for a new contract, those who have had this happen more than the norm may not be offered a new contract. That is fact. Expressions of dissatisfaction from the passengers are a major negative in the lives of the people who serve you.

Doc

Beautifully put!

Can we make this post a sticky for future use when the need arises again? (and it will, again & again :) )

Not sure if "the list" still exists, but a poster here a while back took a galley tour and saw and took a picture of an printed email posted to a bulletin board that was sent to the heads of all the departments on-board with a list of names and room numbers of guests that has removed the auto-tips.

Fred's famous list in the galley.

I have heard this before, we have always given our tips in cash to the staff them selves. Also heard that they don't see the money for about two or three weeks after each cruise is complete.

The staff we talked to didn't seem to bother them, I guess it is like an admin charge.

Happy sailing

Brian J

That is not true for Carnival. They receive their money the night before the last day of the cruise and John Heald has announced on the PA that they will have received their tips and are looking forward to thanking everyone at dinner, etc. I asked our waiter if she had really gotten paid for the tips and she said, YES. I usually give more in cash if it was merited, but never take off the autotips.

Bitter ex employee did not like the $1 going to the Lido staff, I guess.

That is not true for Carnival. They receive their money the night before the last day of the cruise and John Heald has announced on the PA that they will have received their tips and are looking forward to thanking everyone at dinner, etc. I asked our waiter if she had really gotten paid for the tips and she said, YES. I usually give more in cash if it was merited, but never take off the autotips.

Bitter ex employee did not like the $1 going to the Lido staff, I guess.

so what happens if somebody removes their tips the last day? Do they go back to the employess affected and ask for the money back.

I'm not saying what you posted isn't true but it doesn't make sense to me.

Why the need to announce over the intercom that the employees have received their money?:confused:

Bill

so what happens if somebody removes their tips the last day? Do they go back to the employess affected and ask for the money back.

That is exactly what happens, only they don't have to ask for it back, they just take it back from their pay.

I'm not saying what you posted isn't true but it doesn't make sense to me.

Why the need to announce over the intercom that the employees have received their money?:confused:

Bill

No idea, but they did it on the Dream and they did it on the Magic in May. I think it is to reassure the passengers that the tips they left on S&S did indeed go to the staff, so they don't mistakenly think (like people on this board) that the staff doesn't get the money for weeks.

That is exactly what happens, only they don't have to ask for it back, they just take it back from their pay.

No idea, but they did it on the Dream and they did it on the Magic in May. I think it is to reassure the passengers that the tips they left on S&S did indeed go to the staff, so they don't mistakenly think (like people on this board) that the staff doesn't get the money for weeks.

1st, why would an employee be asked if they got their "pay".

and i find it hard to accept that ccl would front the money before they actually receive it. and i do think it was said they got their tips the fiollowing week.

i do think this is why some will say they like the cash. it's immediate.

and all speculation on my part.

1st, why would an employee be asked if they got their "pay".

I asked her because I WANTED TO. Why do you do what you do?

It was announced that they got their tips. At dinner, I asked her if that was true and it was easy to see that she was very happy to have gotten them. She said that they had.

and i find it hard to accept that ccl would front the money before they actually receive it. and i do think it was said they got their tips the following week.

Why not? They let you take that T-shirt home from the gift shop and your credit card is yet to be processed. No mystery there. Those people are on board with a contract. Carnival could recoup any time they wanted to. I've actually heard of cases from John Heald where a big group of passengers were extremely demanding the entire time and then took the tips off. CCL made it up to the staff to replace their tips.

Unless you want to call John Heald a liar, too.

i do think this is why some will say they like the cash. it's immediate.

and all speculation on my part.

But as stated before, cash doesn't get distributed to everyone who worked to make your cruise enjoyable.

I asked her because I WANTED TO. Why do you do what you do?

It was announced that they got their tips. At dinner, I asked her if that was true and it was easy to see that she was very happy to have gotten them. She said that they had.

Why not? They let you take that T-shirt home from the gift shop and your credit card is yet to be processed. No mystery there. Those people are on board with a contract. Carnival could recoup any time they wanted to. I've actually heard of cases from John Heald where a big group of passengers were extremely demanding the entire time and then took the tips off. CCL made it up to the staff to replace their tips.

But as stated before, cash doesn't get distributed to everyone who worked to make your cruise enjoyable.

i will wait for some concrete proof before making any decisions.

I have learned it's all an act on board to get as much money out of your pocket, and into theirs, as quick as possible.

This is not entirely correct. The bank already has a hold on the amount of your purchases.....therefore that money is not availbable for you to use.....so in essence your bank did pay for it before you left your cruise...when you get your bill you pay your bank not Carnival.

This is not entirely correct. The bank already has a hold on the amount of your purchases.....therefore that money is not availbable for you to use.....so in essence your bank did pay for it before you left your cruise...when you get your bill you pay your bank not Carnival.

the point is that it doesn't work any different for auto tips.

i will wait for some concrete proof before making any decisions.

I have learned it's all an act on board to get as much money out of your pocket, and into theirs, as quick as possible.

Then why don't you write to John Heald on Facebook or his blog and ask him. But perhaps you wouldn't believe him, either?:rolleyes::confused:

Here is the deal. Have any of you worked on a cruise ship as a waiter, cabin steward, etc.?(and no, I haven't)

Then how is it so many of you can state "well, this is how it really is" and "John H. said so on his blah, blah"

Do you really think John H. or anyone else involved with Carnival is going to say anything negative about how things are done, if, in fact there are done in a negative light.

No one knows exactly what goes on no matter how much you think you do.

Then why don't you write to John Heald on Facebook or his blog and ask him. But perhaps you wouldn't believe him, either?:rolleyes::confused:

not after he informed us that the $30 in the supper club doesn't include the tip.

i've pegged him as a conduit to others for info. and quite often posts incorrect info in areas he has no expertise in.

Archived