just off millennium 03/27 a little disapointed

scottie99

Just completed my first Celebrity cruise (on the Millennium) and did not find it a 5 * experience ( I have done about 10 cruises on RCCL,NCL Carnival. P&O)

I thought the ship was a little tired and the food was no better tha RCCL although the Olympic Restaurant was very good.

The theatre shows were EXCELLENT though after experiencing the Navigator I thought there was a lack of entertainment in other venues.

I did find the staff were Celebrity's best asset-very friendly and helpful

If anyone has any quetions I will be pleased to help

Just curious......was it a repositioning cruise????? We were on one of those on Millie and it was disappointing, also. Ship is beautiful, but we prefer the C-class better...JMHO Sorry that you did not enjoy your cruise on Celeb

No it was the standard East Carribbean-Casda de Campo, San Juan ST Thomas etc. Dont get me wrong -we enjoyed our week but the wow! factor was not there.

We were on Millie in January and I agree. It was fun and I feel very lucky to be able to cruise every year. We are booked on the Millie again next January. You just have to lower your expectations and enjoy the cruise. I beleive that the "WOW FACTOR" is gone on all the mass market cruise lines (Celebrity is a mass market cruise line). You may still be able to experience it on Crystal, Radisson, etc. but ever since Carnival and RCCL bought up all the cruise lines, the differences that made each line special are gone. Actually, I have heard many good reviews for Carnival ships and I will definitely try one in the future.

I haven't sailed on Carnival , but found food MUCH better on Celebrity than on RCCL.

It was Celebrity Century vs Splendour of the Seas. (same class ships)

Same dishes had completely different taste, and buffets were really sad on SoS.

We had very friendly waitress on Sos, but she had to wait on 4 tables, so service was while nice, little bit rushed.

Don't get me wrong...We weren't hungry or anything on Sos , just weren't looking toward the dinner experience that much.

We just came off the Millie the week before the Scottie did. I thought the food was great, better than our Zenith cruise we did in January (and it was wonderful). I thought the ship looked absolutely fabulous. My wife and I both thought the Olympic restaurant was a waste of money (especially if you chose the selection of five wines). We have done specialty restaurants on several other lines and thought them great. Don't get me wrong it was great, but not much better than the standard fare. Service, that was our big disappointment. As Gail said we did not feel the love.

David

Hey Gail how was the Opera?

Our first cruise (2/01) on the Century was made very special for us by our friendly server, always a smile, never annoyed and seemed really genuine. I have not had quite the same experience and we will be going on our 5th cruise on the Millenium next 2/06 and we are looking to great service. The service on the HAL Zuiderdam was very close to the Century. Not quite the same on RCCL Rhapsody and Grand Princess. I will say they were not bad though. All cruises to us are good! I think we get spoiled and compare too much. I know I do. Bon Voyage

Isn't funny how 2 different people sail on the same ship - the same week and have 2 different opinions.

I was on the Millie the same week David was. David indicates that service was his big disappointment. I, on the other hand, thought service (dining room, cabin attendants, bars & lounges, out by the pool, etc. etc.) was excellent.

Did you book any excursions throught the ship? We sail on her Sunday and I was thinking about booking the rainforest excursion in San Juan and hoping someone could say if it was good... Too large a group.....not enough stopping, etc.

Also did you do anything at DM?

Just completed my first Celebrity cruise (on the Millennium) and did not find it a 5 * experience ( I have done about 10 cruises on RCCL,NCL Carnival. P&O)

I thought the ship was a little tired and the food was no better tha RCCL although the Olympic Restaurant was very good.

The theatre shows were EXCELLENT though after experiencing the Navigator I thought there was a lack of entertainment in other venues.

I did find the staff were Celebrity's best asset-very friendly and helpful

If anyone has any quetions I will be pleased to help

I would have to disagree a bit. I was on the same week as you Scottie, but I found the cruise relaxing. I was a bit upset that Notes was not opened, but I understand why.

I will say the once the ship goes into dry dock in Nov there are many inprovements. They are going to take out notes and move the Computer Training Room there and something else (sorry, I forgot what it was).

DeRon,

Don't be worried! You'll have a great time. Some of us who go on so many cruises kind of start to get a little overly critical, at least I think I do. The thing we were mostly talking about was the crew was a little tired and not quite as up to what we would have liked. Not bad, just not up to what we expect!

DeRon,

Don't be worried! You'll have a great time. Some of us who go on so many cruises kind of start to get a little overly critical, at least I think I do. The thing we were mostly talking about was the crew was a little tired and not quite as up to what we would have liked. Not bad, just not up to what we expect!

i think Tugger has hit on something: after so many cruises we are inclined to start picking things apart and doing too much comparing. I too didn't find Celebrity (sailed the Connie) quite what I expected, but again, I think I was looking for something that just would make the cruise the best thing on earth and cruising isn't what it was 10 or 20 years ago. Don't get me wrong, we loved our cruise and are anxious to cruise Celebrity again. NMnita

i think Tugger has hit on something: after so many cruises we are inclined to start picking things apart and doing too much comparing. and cruising isn't what it was 10 or 20 years ago.

I agree that as people gain experience in an area, they tend to become more critical of anything less than perfect. If you think about your first cruise, particularly if it was 15 or 20 years ago, it probably seemed like the most perfect trip you'd ever encountered. Our honeymoon was in 1986 on NCL's Southward for 7 days in the Eastern Caribbean. We paid $995 each and thought it was heaven. Today, we would probably refuse to sail on a ship like the Southward, and have become so much more spoiled.

Another thing to consider is that, as we get older (and since I'm 64 :eek: I'm extremely qualified to have an opinion on this matter), we tend to remember only the "good" things and minimize the less-than-good things. Of course, there are some on these boards who have never had a "good" experience and love to regale us with their negative experiences.

Remember the picture by Salvador Dali of the melted clocks and watches hanging all over everything? It's called "The Persistence of Memory" and the message is that memory distorts and warps time and is very selective in what it remembers and how it remembers those memories.

My philosophy is to look upon each upcoming cruise as the best cruise I will have ever had, and so far, I haven't been disappointed yet.

Allen

I agree that as people gain experience in an area' date=' they tend to become more critical of anything less than perfect. If you think about your first cruise, particularly if it was 15 or 20 years ago, it probably seemed like the most perfect trip you'd ever encountered. Our honeymoon was in 1986 on NCL's Southward for 7 days in the Eastern Caribbean. We paid $995 each and thought it was heaven. Today, we would probably refuse to sail on a ship like the Southward, and have become so much more spoiled.

Another thing to consider is that, as we get older (and since I'm 64 :eek: I'm extremely qualified to have an opinion on this matter), we tend to remember only the "good" things and minimize the less-than-good things. Of course, there are some on these boards who have never had a "good" experience and love to regale us with their negative experiences.

Remember the picture by Salvador Dali of the melted clocks and watches hanging all over everything? It's called "The Persistence of Memory" and the message is that memory distorts and warps time and is very selective in what it remembers and how it remembers those memories.

My philosophy is to look upon each upcoming cruise as the best cruise I will have ever had, and so far, I haven't been disappointed yet.

Allen[/quote']

Allen, you are so right. I am a few years older than you. Our first cruise was Commodore back in the very early 80s. We couldn't believe anything could be so magical. I doubt I stopped talking about it for a month or more. My co-workers probably wanted to put a piece of duct tape over my mouth: they probably wanted to do that more than once as a matter of fact. Anyway then came NCL and from there Costa. As you said,we probably wouldn't even book one of those ships today, yet to me those were the days I will never get back. I also enjoy each cruise, haven't had one yet that I couldn't rave about, a few have been less than perfect, but all are interesting. LOL

As the originator of this thread I have read the posts with interest and I must sa y I agree with the later posts. Our first Carribean cruise was about 10 years ago on the Norway, It was magical The food seemed perfect (everything seemed perfect!) We returned to the Norway about 4 years later (after a couple of cruises elsewhere) and our perception was totally different. I guess it is inevitable our aspirations are more difficult to meet and we aspire to better things!

• 2 weeks later...
dollfan, please give us a report whe you return. We are going April 17th, and this thread doesn't sound so hot. I am sure all is well. Let us know your experience.

De Ron,

We just got off the Millennium and had a fabulous time. You will have a great cruise. I wrote a review which will show up in a few days under ship reviews. I was a liittle critical in some areas because I want the Celebrity folks to know they need to make some improvements but this line and this ship were great and overall cruise was wonderful. We booked a 7 day southern out of PR on the Connie next year.

Have fun on your cruise!

I have to say, of all of our Celebrity cruises, I liked Millennium the least. Maybe because we sailed on her the week before she went into dry dock, but it just didn't compare to our other experiences. That being said, we've also sailed on Carnival Victory and I would much, much rather be on the worst Millennium sailing then another one on Victory.

Good thing there are soooooo many ships out there, we can each find our favorite.

:)

~fly

Archived