Crappy watch sales and people going nuts

valtandc

They had the tables all covered up so nobody could get a peek at the great merchandise until the announced time. It was pretty funny seeing folks standing around the table just waiting. I was waiting for a flashing blue light.

The Big Reveal!!!!! "Oooohhh,ahhhhhh".

Our first cruise I did not even realize they had a watch sale. I just love to shop and happened to stop at the gift shop daily. Walked in one day and watch sets were everywhere. I, like others did not bring a watch and bought a cheap one. It worked great for the trip- looked cheap, felt cheap, but it worked.

We bought a set for our son who was 12 at the time, one that came with a wallet and he thought it was just awesome.

Now, the second and third cruises, I saw the mass hysteria that everyone is talking about. Thinking back the the watch I bought the first year I was baffled...they are really crappy! Why would you go crazy like that?

I love my Eco Drive, but I checked out prices online to make sure it was a decent price before buying the one on the ship :D Then I got another one via eBay when I got home.

I bought one of those el cheapo watches for $10 (but not during a sale with rabid shoppers) because it was "waterproof".....lo and behold, I dove with it several times and it lasted for several years!

Luckily, back in the day, I used to sell jewelry and watches, so I had a decent idea of what they go for. :) (and NO, not out of a trenchcoat ;) hahahaha) He did alright.... no amazing all time deal, but comparable. No matter how you slice it it's cheaper then his kinetic watches.

I would buy an "el cheapo" in a heart beat if I forgot mine, or needed a waterproof one. :) Love that it lasted for years even with diving! I actually need a watch like that...

It's really the swarming of the tables like rabid vultures that makes me laugh though more then the watches. I agree with the Black Friday analogy... but they weren't selling Furbies or Tickle Me Elmos, or a 100 dollar laptop, or even anything interesting... just... cheap interchangeable watch sets...

I don't spend my money in the gift shops and I can't understand why they are so popular.

But I also don't understand why anyone else gives a hoot about what other people do or how they spend their time and money on the ship.

None of my business. None of your business. No need to make snide comments about others. Save your time and energy on something that matters to YOU rather than criticizing others for what they enjoy doing.

Just saying!

I bought a $10 watch on my last cruise and I like it a lot better than any watch I bought at WalMart. It has more features and is a better quality band and is perfect for what I need. I will buy another one on my next cruise.

I bought a $10 watch on my last cruise and I like it a lot better than any watch I bought at WalMart. It has more features and is a better quality band and is perfect for what I need. I will buy another one on my next cruise.

Last month on the Magic, my 11-year old son passed the watches and asked me for it. I told him that I thought it would break pretty quickly. I bought it for him anyway as the thrill alone for him wearing it was worth the $10 to me. It's the price of a mixed drink. ;) It still works one month in and it sure beat spending 3X retail for candy in the new Cherry on Top shop.

I think you all just need to be honest with yourselves and admit you're jealous of my Bijoux digital watch!! :D I bought one on our first Carnival cruise because we realized our cell phones wouldn't work and we had no way to keep track of time. I took it on our cruise last year and it still worked. I'm taking it with us on the Victory next week too and I know it still works because that freaking alarm has been going off everyday at the same time for the last 2 years!!!

:o Slightly embarrassed to admit that those watches were our kids gift on our first cruise.

Son's lasted OK but daughter's strap peeled after a month or so. Oh well. For $20, not a bad deal.

Still don't get that gold by the inch. If you think it's real, I've got a bridge for you.:rolleyes: Don't get the "art" auctions either.

P. T. Barnum had it figured out!

As long as people know what/why they are getting it, and don't really think its some "great sale" - then it's all good!

Inch of Gold --- good luck getting anyone there to admit it's simply plated. I think some of those people think that it's REAL (14kt solid)!!

Tom

The sad thing is that people don't always understand.

My son got taken.

He bought a watch for me, my husband and himself.

I think he paid $20 each for them, but he was told that they were $100 watches and he honestly thought that they were.

I did not know what to say as he looked so proud to give his dad and I such a nice gift.

He figured it out later when he took his watch to the store to have the band adjusted and the jeweler told him that two of the three functions on his watch are fake.

He learned something, but he was not happy to discover that Carnival ripped him off.

I think you all just need to be honest with yourselves and admit you're jealous of my Bijoux digital watch!! :D I bought one on our first Carnival cruise because we realized our cell phones wouldn't work and we had no way to keep track of time. I took it on our cruise last year and it still worked. I'm taking it with us on the Victory next week too and I know it still works because that freaking alarm has been going off everyday at the same time for the last 2 years!!!

I have one I bought about four years ago to wear while the seals were being replaced in my good watch. It's somewhere in a basket on my bookcase. One of these days, when it goes off, I will eventually find it and disable the alarm.

I just got a laugh thinking about the watch sale on the recent miracle. They hold all these watches worth about $9 and sell them for $10 and there are hoards of people scratching and clawing their way for them.....what's up with this?

Same thing with the "inch" of gold. With gold close to $2000 per ounce there is no way that they are selling gold. Suckers abound!!!!!!!!!!!1

I bought a watch at one of these sales once. Shame on me for not looking at it better. When I got it back after getting it adjusted, I noticed that the dials on the watch face weren't working. When I went back to ask if there was something wrong with my watch, the guy said "no, there's nothing wrong. Those dials aren't supposed to work." Now why would I want a watch with non-functional dials? Needless to say, I returned it for my money back. :rolleyes:

It's a SALE It's a SALE- they told me that they were really worth $100 and I believe every word they tell me. I want to buy a dozen- I'd save $900- no I'd save even more than that (and they say that you never use your grammar school math again!). Who cares if they work. I'D SAVE BIG BUCKS. And besides- the guy next to me is trying to get the one I WANT.

Hype and mass hysteria will sell lots and lots of junk watches really really quickly. Especially if they make you wait until 11am before they will let you buy them. They are really good at mob psychology. Time it right, put it in a small space where you have to crawl over people to get them, advertise it right- and put them in splashy looking boxes.

Along these same lines, I was in the fine jewelry shop on one of the ships and saw a small '40% off' sign in the Citizens' watch section. When I went over to look at them, the fine print said 'suggested land retail prices'.

I actually bought a Citizen Calibre 2100 on my first cruise. I had done my research and knew what the department store price was and what the cheapest internet price was. The Carnival price was actually the same as the internet price, so while I didn't save money there, I didn't have to pay shipping (or any applicable sales tax). It was also $225 less than for what Macy's was selling them.

Deals can be found, just know before you go.

Inch of Gold --- good luck getting anyone there to admit it's simply plated. I think some of those people think that it's REAL (14kt solid)!!

Tom

Wha?? Huh? NOT REAL?!?!! OMG! Whut a rip-off!

Seriously. I only buy something on the boat if mine broke or its life/death. If it can wait for a port then it'll wait. YMMV

I bought a Fossil watch on a cruise several years ago...it wasn't a $10.00 watch - I can't remember what I paid for it - cheaper than one in a store though - I haven't had any problems with it at all....and I am pretty sure it is a real Fossil watch...I think I even sent in a warranty card to the Fossil manufacturer.

Archived