Crappy watch sales and people going nuts

valtandc

Luckily, back in the day, I used to sell jewelry and watches, so I had a decent idea of what they go for. :) (and NO, not out of a trenchcoat ;) hahahaha) He did alright.... no amazing all time deal, but comparable. No matter how you slice it it's cheaper then his kinetic watches.

I would buy an "el cheapo" in a heart beat if I forgot mine, or needed a waterproof one. :) Love that it lasted for years even with diving! I actually need a watch like that...

It's really the swarming of the tables like rabid vultures that makes me laugh though more then the watches. I agree with the Black Friday analogy... but they weren't selling Furbies or Tickle Me Elmos, or a 100 dollar laptop, or even anything interesting... just... cheap interchangeable watch sets...

Nice to have "inside" info, definitely makes you a wiser shopper! I sell jewelry sometimes too, but it's just stuff I make. I'm impressed that your hubby snuck away and was able to surprise you with a nice watch even if it wasn't the deal of the century. :cool:

It amost doesn't matter what the product is, there's some weird "me first" mindset with some people that happens when there's a "sale".

I like to watch from the sidelines, it's pretty entertaining!:rolleyes:

The funny thing is, it's this big clearance sale, as if the item will never be on this earth again, yet I'm sure they put the same exact stuff out on the next week's cruise. ;)

The funny thing is, it's this big clearance sale, as if the item will never be on this earth again, yet I'm sure they put the same exact stuff out on the next week's cruise. ;)

Thus doing a B2B will give you an odd déjà vu feeling... was it the same watch, or just one that looked like it?? ;)

Tom

Forget the watches, how about the 'gold by the inch' fiasco?:rolleyes: I don't get it.

Speaking of gold by the inch, my husbands friend went on a cruise a few months ago, when he came back my husband was telling me about this nice chain his friend got on the cruise.

He said it was a nice heavy looking chain and his friend told him it cost $100, my husband said that can't be real and his friend insisted it was, when my husband was telling me about it, I said to him "I hope it's not that gold by the inch stuff"

My husband said yeah that's whathe said it was, I told my husband, well his friends chain was not real, I'm sorry but we laughed about that for hours, his friend had insisted it was real gold.

Guess what??? he does not wear that chain anymore lol

[quote name='Tom-n-Cheryl']Thus doing a B2B will give you an odd déjà vu feeling... was it the same watch, or just one that looked like it?? ;)

Tom[/quote]

Bwahahahaaaa, that's just not right!

[quote name='MIZZ_K'][B][COLOR=purple]Speaking of gold by the inch, my husbands friend went on a cruise a few months ago, when he came back my husband was telling me about this nice chain his friend got on the cruise.[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=#800080]He said it was a nice heavy looking chain and his friend told him it cost $100, my husband said that can't be real and his friend insisted it was, when my husband was telling me about it, I said to him "I hope it's not that gold by the inch stuff"[/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR=purple][B]My husband said yeah that's whathe said it was, I told my husband, well his friends chain was not real, I'm sorry but we laughed about that for hours, his friend had insisted it was real gold.[/B][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=#800080]Guess what??? he does not wear that chain anymore lol[/COLOR][/B][/quote]

Probably found that it turned his neck green :p

[quote name='MamaParrotHead']I also get a chuckle out of the throngs of folks who stand around sipping the thimbles of free booze in the gift shop during the "tastings", lol.[/quote]
I kinda like the tastings, if it's something I haven't tried before it gives me a chance to try it before I invest in a whole bottle.
But to stand around and taste just for free booze? Not my thing, I do want to try Sheridans since so many rave about it and I love the different flavors of rum, not so much on the vodka.
I hate, hate, hate to go to the jewelry sales and giveaways in the shops, people get so rude and pushy and I've yet to see good stuff for sale on Carnival, although I have to say I got some good deals on a few things on Celebrity.
To each their own, I think if they are enjoying themselves, the more power to them.
I also avoid the hairy chest contests and the main pool area, but some just love it!!!
Cheers, Carole

[quote name='elcuchio24']One of our freinds went to the straw market in Nassau to 'haggle' her way to a great deal. Talked a guy down on a nice native shawl she wanted from $10 to $5. What a deal. Got back on the ship and saw the 'made in china' tag. :D[/QUOTE]
The haggling thing cracks me up. My daughter's friend was in Jamaica and this shop vendor was trying to sell him a necklace. He said it was $18. Friend said he only had $3. Immediately the guy said he could have it for $3. He had already bought DD a gift but figured for $3 he would get her another one!
[quote name='MamaParrotHead']I also get a chuckle out of the throngs of folks who stand around sipping the thimbles of free booze in the gift shop during the "tastings", lol.[/QUOTE]
but how often can you taste something you have never heard of to find out if you like it? I think that is great. Though on our 3 day cruise I did give up. That crowd was a little too desperate for their thimble!

I think they do sell the real watches in the shops but certainly not at the $10 sales. But you have to know what you are doing- having had lots of experience in the Duty Free shops around the world- usually you can get the same things here in the states for cheaper. But the temptation!

:o l'll admit it - I bought [U]3[/U] gold by the inch necklaces! :D I knew they weren't real, but trying to get a 16 in necklace can be difficult and I don't like 18 in...so this was a good solution. As for turning my neck green - after several years, they're still my "go to" workhorse pieces. I've also gotten earrings at the $10 sales. I have a decent idea of what prices are, so if it's something I like, I'll get it. On the other hand, I've never clawed omy way around these...um..."sales"!

I bought a bracelet and necklace at the gold by the inch sale at the gift shop on the Carnival Sensation. It looked good and the price was right. Unfortunately the gold rubbed off quite quickly. When I see all those people lined up to buy the stuff, I just want to yell "Stop, don't waste your money!" but of course I don't. I just walk away shaking my head!

Lucky me...I won the raffle for the free watch on my cruise in November...woo hoo! I don't wear watches but I will bring it with me on my next cruise since I shut my cellphone off and will need to keep track of the time while I'm sitting on the beach. If it gets lost, I really don't care. To pay $10 for it...no way!

[quote name='goofycruiser']I bought a bracelet and necklace at the gold by the inch sale at the gift shop on the Carnival Sensation. It looked good and the price was right. Unfortunately the gold rubbed off quite quickly. When I see all those people lined up to buy the stuff, I just want to yell "Stop, don't waste your money!" but of course I don't. I just walk away shaking my head![/QUOTE]

;) That's exactly what happened to the necklace I purchased years ago at the gold by the inch sale, and just like you, when I see all these people ordering this junk, I feel like warning them too.

I know it comes with a lifetime guarantee but I couldn't be bothered with all the hassle of returning it.... and I certainly didn't want another one! :D Lesson learned!:rolleyes:

[quote name='goofycruiser']I bought a bracelet and necklace at the gold by the inch sale at the gift shop on the Carnival Sensation. It looked good and the price was right. Unfortunately the gold rubbed off quite quickly. When I see all those people lined up to buy the stuff, I just want to yell "Stop, don't waste your money!" but of course I don't. I just walk away shaking my head![/quote]
[B][COLOR=purple]I told my husband I was going to take a picture to show him what it looks like.[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='GAMOM4']I bought a Fossil watch on a cruise several years ago...it wasn't a $10.00 watch - I can't remember what I paid for it - cheaper than one in a store though - I haven't had any problems with it at all....and I am pretty sure it is a real Fossil watch...I think I even sent in a warranty card to the Fossil manufacturer.[/quote]

We bought a Fossil watch for our daughter onboard.
When we got back I found the same watch at TJ Maxx for less than half of what we paid.
Granted the TJ Maxx price was a fabulous price, but they must have been some kind of overstock.

Never bought the gold by the inch on board or the cheapo watches , but like one poster said if you go into it knowing what you are buying , and not expecting the real McCoy , they are OK.

I am in NYC quite a bit and they always have those guys on the street selling the knockoff designer watches.

Now I know darn well they are not real Rolex, Movados, Guccis ....etc. and I don't try and show off that they are.

But some of them are nice looking watches and I have bought several through the years .

They have always kept good time , I like they way they look on me, they have never turned my wrist green or fell apart. They last me about 2-3 years and when they stop working I toss them. Great little everyday watch.

My wife and I won matching "gold by the inch" bracelets during the raffle. She has never worn hers. I only wear mine when I'm mad at her. If I'm really angry, I wear it in public and tell everyone she "bought" it for me. That really pushes her buttons. :D

OMG I was on the Valor this past weekend and it was a mob scene. It makes me laugh when people see it retailed at 99.00 now selling for 20 that people actually think they are getting a steal! You and I both know they are not worth 100 bucks!

One thing I really dislike about the men's watches sold on the ship is the band. They are not the kind that expand to your wrist. They have a clamp and you have to have the band sized to your wrist before you can wear it. Even then, they don't fit as well.

Actually, you can beat even the $10.00 price at Wal Mart and get a watch that fits well. As some one has already said, you will get 1 to 2 years out of it and that isn't bad for that low of a price.

HEY! i got one of those ten dollar watches! LOL! I took me forever to find one i liked, with out it being to OUT THERE! But it went with all my dresses and such and i was able to to see what time it was.

Yeah and the gold by the inch sale....just kept on walking! Didnt interest me at all!

[quote name='okgirl']I'll pick one up every 2 or 3 cruises to wear just when I'm cruising. My regular watches are too expensive to wear when I'm at the beach or whatever.

They usually last 2 or 3 cruises and then I'll buy another one.........I think they are fun........cheap, but hey it's a beach watch......I go for the most outrageous look I can find........[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea, I never thought of that .

[quote name='babyher']Never bought the gold by the inch on board or the cheapo watches , but like one poster said if you go into it knowing what you are buying , and not expecting the real McCoy , they are OK.

I am in NYC quite a bit and they always have those guys on the street selling the knockoff designer watches.

Now I know darn well they are not real Rolex, Movados, Guccis ....etc. and I don't try and show off that they are.

But some of them are nice looking watches and I have bought several through the years .

They have always kept good time , I like they way they look on me, they have never turned my wrist green or fell apart. They last me about 2-3 years and when they stop working I toss them. Great little everyday watch.[/quote]

They're costume jewelry, really. I mean, I don't feel like dropping a grand on the Cartier I really want, so why not drop a ten on what I know is a fake - you can tell just by the weight of it - and never lie about it not being real? :D

Archived