Crappy watch sales and people going nuts

valtandc

I just got a laugh thinking about the watch sale on the recent miracle. They hold all these watches worth about $9 and sell them for $10 and there are hoards of people scratching and clawing their way for them.....what's up with this?

I just got a laugh thinking about the watch sale on the recent miracle. They hold all these watches worth about $9 and sell them for $10 and there are hoards of people scratching and clawing their way for them.....what's up with this?

Ever been to Canal Street? People think they're getting a deal. And it's "fun". Or so I'm told.

I don't remember if it was at a 'sale', but I did head straight for the $10 table on one cruise when I realized that out of the three of us, not one had brought a watch!! :eek::p

I have not worn the watch since, but it was worth the $10 to have a portable time piece that I didn't care about in the event that it got lost or damaged. :)

I'll pick one up every 2 or 3 cruises to wear just when I'm cruising. My regular watches are too expensive to wear when I'm at the beach or whatever.

They usually last 2 or 3 cruises and then I'll buy another one.........I think they are fun........cheap, but hey it's a beach watch......I go for the most outrageous look I can find........

Forget the watches, how about the 'gold by the inch' fiasco?:rolleyes: I don't get it.

That I can understand, actually. If you have thick ankles or wrists, it's not a terrible deal, as long as you know it's gold/silver plated.

But you can get a similar deal at any shady little mall jewelry kiosk anywhere in america. And you can buy most of those same watches at Walmart, for $6.99:)

canal st. in Chicago?

I think you mean MAXWELL ST. In chicago.On Saturday that was the place to bargain.I remember going with my brother and having the polish sausage W/ONIONS & PEPPERS.I was sick the remainder of the day.

The shopping was great. If there was JUNK to be bought that was the place to buy it.

P. T. Barnum had it figured out!

As long as people know what/why they are getting it, and don't really think its some "great sale" - then it's all good!

Inch of Gold --- good luck getting anyone there to admit it's simply plated. I think some of those people think that it's REAL (14kt solid)!!

Tom

HA! I LOVE that someone brought this up. I saw the crowd in the shop... went over to check it out, and when I realized what all the pushing and shoving and hair pulling was for... boxes of mix and match el cheapo watches, I about died. It was absolutely hilarious to me how crazy the crowd went! People were walking out with piles of watch "sets".

Incidentally, that cruise my husband also snuck down to the same shop, behind my back, and bought me a nicely priced Citizens Eco Drive watch I fell in love with as a gift for my birthday... I think I made out in the deal, and I'm pretty sure my watch will last a lot longer. :)

Oh, please don't be embarssed for me. The raffle they draw at the same time as these sales got me a very very nice prize. Then on top of that I

got all different colored watches some with leather bands to match all my different outfits. I get compliments on them all the time. So that is fine

you all just stay away. More for me!! Woo Hoo!!

I don't see spending the money on fine items like that on the ship. The mark up is so high they are giving each other the high five when you walk out.

I don't mind buying my fun cosmetic jewlery on a ship, but thats it !

I like fine jewlery and purchase it alot so I really bargain shop for it.

Archived