something I heard about the water on the ship

S.S.Oceanlover

I've read many post about bringing bottled water and people responding that they just drink the water from the tap and it taste fine.

I just did the galley tour friday and they said the water that comes out of the tap is safe for drinking but is not recommended.

I didn't ask why but it got me to thnking about all those post about bottled water.

Bill

I've read many post about bringing bottled water and people responding that they just drink the water from the tap and it taste fine.

I just did the galley tour friday and they said the water that comes out of the tap is safe for drinking but is not recommended.

I didn't ask why but it got me to thnking about all those post about bottled water.

Bill

Probably because they "recommend" you buy more drinks!:cool:

Interesting...so does that include all the water they serve you in the restaurants? If so, that's a bummer...I really only drink water...no soda, no alcohol. And why would they tell you this? Don't get me wrong...I believe you...I just think someone was an idiot to tell the customers that! :)

Bill

That only makes sense if they are trying to get more people to pay $4.50 for a bottle of water every day. If it wasn't safe to drink they wouldn't pour you a glass in the MDR every meal or make tea with it. You wouldn't be able to brush your teeth with it.

That statement made to you on the tour was completely irresponsible.

Bottled water has often been reported (as recently as last month's Consumer Reports) to be less safe than tap water. In part, due to contamination during bottling of what turns out to be nothing more than tap water, and in part due to soluble chemicals in the plastic. Nothing more refreshing than a tasty mouthful of plastic hormones...

Your local tap water, in virtually all parts of the country, is safer than bottled water. Based on what I've heard about the water purification on the ships, the same goes for that.

It doesn't make sense that the ship water would be unsafe. Could any cruise company benefit from poisoning several thousand customers with toxic microbes, heavy metals, or other contaminants? While some companies can behave rather stupidly from time to time, I'm skeptical of claims that ship water is somehow unsafe or inferior.

Bottled water has often been reported (as recently as last month's Consumer Reports) to be less safe than tap water. In part, due to contamination during bottling of what turns out to be nothing more than tap water, and in part due to soluble chemicals in the plastic. Nothing more refreshing than a tasty mouthful of plastic hormones...

Your local tap water, in virtually all parts of the country, is safer than bottled water. Based on what I've heard about the water purification on the ships, the same goes for that.

It doesn't make sense that the ship water would be unsafe. Could any cruise company benefit from poisoning several thousand customers with toxic microbes, heavy metals, or other contaminants? While some companies can behave rather stupidly from time to time, I'm skeptical of claims that ship water is somehow unsafe or inferior.

Exactly and me, too.

There are little to NO standards regarding what can and cannot be in bottled water.

The only thing that I can think of is that the piping for the tap water in the cabins is different than the piping for the water going to the galleys and the piping for the water going to the galleys is tested and maintained at a higher level.

I don't beleive that is the case. Potable water lines are just that.

After retiring, I went to work for our local school system. I worked in maintenance. We had to do water tests once a year. You had to take the screen off the faucet, then wipe it down with alcohol before taking the sample. Nine times out of ten, if the test failed, it was because the faucet wasn't cleaned good enough. That is probably why they recommend you don't use the bathroom faucets. You have no idea what touched them previously. They may look clean, but more than likely, they are full of germs and things that go bump in the night.

Not saying that this happens but does the cabin steward use the same cloth or sponge to wipe down the sink that he used to wipe down the toilet in the previous cabin?

I don't beleive that is the case. Potable water lines are just that.

It was just a supposition for the sake of discussion, but I like the below answer best.

After retiring, I went to work for our local school system. I worked in maintenance. We had to do water tests once a year. You had to take the screen off the faucet, then wipe it down with alcohol before taking the sample. Nine times out of ten, if the test failed, it was because the faucet wasn't cleaned good enough. That is probably why they recommend you don't use the bathroom faucets. You have no idea what touched them previously. They may look clean, but more than likely, they are full of germs and things that go bump in the night.

Not saying that this happens but does the cabin steward use the same cloth or sponge to wipe down the sink that he used to wipe down the toilet in the previous cabin?

Instersting, did any of the 90% failures happen in the cafeteria's?

Instersting, did any of the 90% failures happen in the cafeteria's?

Ocassionally, if the faucet wasn't cleaned properly. We had to test the bathroom, cafeteria, and janitor closets. Oddly enough, never the drinking faucets because there was no way to really dissenfect them. It was usually the bathroom ones that would fail because it's hard to get the alcohol up into the faucet.

I can recall on several of my cruises (not sure if Carnival was one or not), where the ship connected a large water hose marked "potable water" when in port. As I recall one stop was St. Maarten and the other was Antigua, among others. I was certainly concerned as you always hear that you should not drink the local water. I as understand it, many of the newer ships has an RO system. Not sure if that is true for all Carnival ships or not. Wold be good to know considering the strict policy for bringing water on board.

The ship's water is fine to drink. I don't use the water out of the tap in the cabin, though. I use ice from the ice bucket and let it melt.

To those who fill their water bottles in the buffet - PLEASE just don't stick the mouth of the bottle against the nozzle! You've been drinking out of it! :mad:

That's probably a lot more of a health hazard for the rest of us that drinking the tap water in your cabin!

I can recall on several of my cruises (not sure if Carnival was one or not), where the ship connected a large water hose marked "potable water" when in port. As I recall one stop was St. Maarten and the other was Antigua, among others. I was certainly concerned as you always hear that you should not drink the local water. I as understand it, many of the newer ships has an RO system. Not sure if that is true for all Carnival ships or not. Wold be good to know considering the strict policy for bringing water on board.

As far as what I've read (because all I know of ship's water systems is what I hear and read) ship's use local water in ports. They can't make their own water until they are a certain number of miles from land, due to pollution. 200 miles pops out of my memory, but that sounds a bit much.

Here is an interesting link. I've posted it before, and was called an uninformed, boorish cretin by those who disagreed with the article. :p:p Interestingly, these folks only knew what they read also........

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Cruise-Ships-Make-Fresh-Water&id=1781431

I stopped drinking the water on the ship years ago and even for coffee, tea as well, in the MDR or Lido. After drinking it there would be a metal taste in my mouth....... it not only happens on CCL but other cruise lines as well. No problem at home etc... therefore, I bring onboard my own distilled water. Even at the hotels....never never, always carry my own everywhere when travelling. Have started using it at home as well.

If water is potable it is safe for human consumption (that's what potable means). Raw or industrial water is not. All water that a pax would have acess to is potable. Not sure if the crew uses raw water. We always drink ship water.

That's true. But is the faucet that it comes out of safe? Has it been sanitized? Bathroom faucets only get wiped down, not sanitized.

Archived