BEWARE!! RCCL Cruise Care Insurance

I'm sure that the issue persists because it doesn't happen that often. I think I understand Sharonoftheseas' issue and I can't remember reading about anyone else ever having that same issue.

It's unfair, but since it happens so infrequently, no one really questions it. So they get away with their doublespeak on how you have to pay the insurance premium yet they prevent you from paying it by holding deposits til final.

I've always just used outside insurance companies. I started using CSA because my sister (who travels frequently) uses CSA and Travelguard and has had claims paid by both with no problems.

Now that everyone's head is spinning after reading all about CruiseCare... While I always recommend a third party insurer, such as TravelGuard, here is my two cents for those booking Royal Caribbean CruiseCare (BerkelyCare). And please note, each cruiseline likely has their own policies- for example HAL's insurance is not refundable, even prior to final payment. RC's CruiseCare is refundable prior to final payment.

Berkely basically looks back 60 days prior, no matter when you purchase the policy. To pay for your insurance at the time of deposit on your booking, tell the RC rep to do a 'forced to pay'. They will contact the Resolutions Desk to have this done, and on your booking confirmation CruiseCare will be noted as PAID. There is no 'waiver' for pre-existing conditions with Berkely, unlike TravelGuard who provides a waiver when the policy is purchased within 15 days of you initial trip deposit. Purchasing CruiseCare from RC within 14 days of your deposit makes no difference with regard to pre-existing coverage.

I noted on my previous post on this thread that both Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation of remains are covered if caused by or incurred resulting from a pre-existing condition exclusion. And in addition, there is no coverage under CruiseCare for pre-existing conditions for non-traveling family members. I would recommend calling the Royal Caribbean CruiseCare helpline at Berkely, to address any particular concerns or issues someone may have about specific coverage or situations: (800) 453-4022.

This all has me so thankful that each time we have had a claim we were able to have it processed without issue. We have sailed with RC, CCL, NCL and Celebrity. Have purchased the cruise line ins and 3rd party ins. Can't recall which we had when but do know of 4 claims over the years. Someone way back told me to always purchase ins when I made deposit. Guess that was good advice.

Can anyone, to the best of their ability, clarify, what my understanding is after calling Berkley just recently regarding the preexisting clauses and how it affects treatment while on a cruise for something that relates to a preexisting condition. I read the policy 5 or 6 times and still could not glean what I needed so I called.

The rep told me that the preexisting clause does not pertain to medical treatment while on a cruise..that that would be covered. The preexisting only affects the cancellation portion.

I am taking my elderly mom and her friend on a cruise in November

and I am concerned because both of them have had a trip to the hospital recently.

What say ye???

Can anyone, to the best of their ability, clarify, what my understanding is after calling Berkley just recently regarding the preexisting clauses and how it affects treatment while on a cruise for something that relates to a preexisting condition. I read the policy 5 or 6 times and still could not glean what I needed so I called.

The rep told me that the preexisting clause does not pertain to medical treatment while on a cruise..that that would be covered. The preexisting only affects the cancellation portion.

I am taking my elderly mom and her friend on a cruise in November

and I am concerned because both of them have had a trip to the hospital recently.

What say ye???

I say that the rep is wrong. The policy states that Part B (medical coverage) does not apply to any loss related to a pre-existing condition, except for emergency evacuation or repatriation of remains.

Edited by critterchick

I say that the rep is wrong. The policy states that Part B (medical coverage) does not apply to any loss related to a pre-existing condition, except for emergency evacuation or repatriation of remains.

So have we decided that RC insurance does not cover any pre-existing conditions except for emerg evac and repat of remains?

But they would allow a cancel for any reason at 75% cruise credit?

And so it shouldn't matter when we buy it??

Or should it???

So have we decided that RC insurance does not cover any pre-existing conditions except for emerg evac and repat of remains?

But they would allow a cancel for any reason at 75% cruise credit?

And so it shouldn't matter when we buy it??

Or should it???

Well, if something happens between booking and final payment (OP used a broken leg as an example) and you go ahead with the final payment figuring that you'll be cured by vacation time, and then the condition flares up again (you need surgery because it didn't heal properly), I guess you wouldn't be covered.

Of greater concern would be a family member falling ill between booking and final payment and then needing you to be around at vacation time - that's not covered, either.

I think that, on itineraries with expensive independently booked air, you might consider paying for the insurance up front. Or if you can't afford to lose 25% of your cruise fare. Otherwise, I don't think it matters when you pay for it.

Well, if something happens between booking and final payment (OP used a broken leg as an example) and you go ahead with the final payment figuring that you'll be cured by vacation time, and then the condition flares up again (you need surgery because it didn't heal properly), I guess you wouldn't be covered.

Of greater concern would be a family member falling ill between booking and final payment and then needing you to be around at vacation time - that's not covered, either.

I think that, on itineraries with expensive independently booked air, you might consider paying for the insurance up front. Or if you can't afford to lose 25% of your cruise fare. Otherwise, I don't think it matters when you pay for it.

I was looking for that really explanatory post that I mentioned. I can't find it, there are too many insurance posts. But if you do an advanced search on Cruise Critic member "cruiseco" he or she almost always posts on the insurance threads...and provides really good information. :)

And this subject has come up before...when people receive an unexpected diagnosis prior to their cruise.

I was looking for that really explanatory post that I mentioned. I can't find it, there are too many insurance posts. But if you do an advanced search on Cruise Critic member "cruiseco" he or she almost always posts on the insurance threads...and provides really good information. :)

And this subject has come up before...when people receive an unexpected diagnosis prior to their cruise.

I just noticed that there is a Cruise/Travel Insurance forum in Cruise Discussion Topics. (some exciting reading over there)

Edited by marci22

• 5 years later...
Be aware too, that if you have an onboard medical claim, CruiseCare, (actually AON) will require you to submit your claim to your primary and secondary medical insurance carriers before they will consider any claims.

Yes, and if your insurance doesn't pay... they will. This coverage is called Secondary Coverage and is typical for travel insurance. No mystery, if you want Primary Coverage the cost can be significantly more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums