What we discovered on the Allure

AZMembergs

Hi All Lovers of Cruising!

Just home from two weeks on the Allure and here are some thoughts I wanted to share. :)

• Small Wonders! These are hidden tiny art pieces magnified and placed in tall (3’ or 4’) displays all over the ship, but you have to be aware of your surroundings to find them!

• In Central Park at night, there are beautiful globes under an overpass that light up different colors which go along with the musical performances; this is not always noted in the Compass! What a discovery!

• The Hot Dog place on Boardwalk might have good “dogs” but you must bring your own soda or water because the only other beverage is a small bar service; also… no place to sit down to eat (not a pleasant experience) (and no decent way to take it back to your cabin while hot since they hand it to you on a flimsy paper plate)

• When we cruised in early September, the heat and humidity was overwhelming in every port; suggest taking a wash cloth to wipe your face/neck every time you go onshore

• Do purchase the Live Allure book from the Rising Tide bar early in the week and really enjoy the hunt for the treasures by answering the questions; it’s worth it and it’s a nice souvenir to talk home

• There are 9,660 pieces of art—I dare you to see it all!

• Zipline—you must have enclosed shoes to use it—no exceptions (like closed toed sandals)

• Zipline—they make you take off all your jewelry (and watches); so go with a friend or park the stuff in a tote that they can keep off to the side for you

• Rock-climbing: you can use their shoes, but you must have your own socks; try not to get to the wall when it’s sunny as it can get very hot

• Aquatheater: nice experience but the first three rows are splash zones, so get to any event early—like 30 minutes of more!

• Johnny Rockets are great for breakfast, but it’s a small seating venue—inside and out! So get there early

• In Labardee, the Dragon ride has lockers for $4 for a few hours or $10 for all day; however there are free, large cubby holes for stashing your beach stuff for just the few minutes you’re on the ride!

• In Labardee, if you want one of those beach shade cabanas (don’t know their proper name), you must get out there early. They were all taken up by 10 AM!

• Since you’re leaving from Ft. Lauderdale, get yourself to a Wal-Mart or Target and purchase personal stuff instead of packing it; (pick up small bug spray for those island excursions if you’re susceptible to bug bites—check the weather beforehand because if they had rain within the week the mosquitoes will be out in force!)

• So many nice places to eat other than the Windjammer! The Central Park Café becomes very crowded for good reason and all the wonderful outdoor seating gets taken quickly; don’t be shy if you’re alone or it’s just the two of you—spot a table for four with only two and ask to sit with them!!! You’ll enjoy the company!

• The foods in the specialty restaurants are absolutely terrific! The MDR is on par (or better according to your personal opinion) with all other cruise ships and no one starves! If you can discipline yourself, try it all…just don’t eat it all! You can survive all that wonderful, different food!

• Did you know you can purchase some yummy StarBucks frozen drinks as “lite”? Only, see if they can make it with less ice and foam if they’re going to charge you full price for those nice java specials!

• With 6200+ passengers on our cruise, getting around in crowds sometimes can be trying (but not all the time!); look to see other ways of getting from one end of the ship to the other without going straight down the middle! (i.e., instead of going down the Promenade, use the 6th deck hall ways; instead of using the 5th deck from the Acquatheater, go down one deck and walk the “track” – only remember it’s a one way walking track)

• There are 21 pools and hot-tubs on the Allure—don’t expect any one pool not to be crowded; even on a sea day the Solarium fills up fast

• The Solarium gets hot and there is no decent coverage (why in the world can’t they put a sun block film over those glass covers to let in filtered light???); the decks get hot, too, so wear something on your feet

• On decks 11 and 12, aft, there are lounge chairs that no one uses! What a joy! (But beware—the sun can get hot out there too, even on sea days)

• Need to get out of your cabin for your steward to make it up? Try parking yourself in the Viking Lounge deep-cushy chairs for quiet and sunshine; or try the Pinnacle Chapel or Pinnacle Lounge

• Not really an Allure discovery, but we did take the Scoot-Coop excursion in Cozumel; be forewarned that these little three-wheeled scooters have no covering and you are exposed to bright hot sunshine. For safety, you are asked to wear a helmet; which is all good and well, but boy mine had a disgusting moldy smell from the inside! (From someone else’s sweat?) Suggest you take a cheap baseball cap and wear it backwards. Sorry we didn’t take a large pool towel to cover our seat and helmets. The Scoot-Coop excursion was a lot of fun and we’re glad we did it.

We had a good time since the Allure was our "destination" and she lived up to all the hype. Feel free to add to this list. For those just thinking about sailing her---go and enjoy the Nation of Why Not!

Thanks for the info. We will be sailing on her in November!!!!

Great! Just remembered one more:

• If you are lucky enough to get a book of coupons because you are with the Crown and Anchor, don't forget to put your name and cabin information on each ticket you are using for laundry. Don't expect the cabin steward or the laundry staff to do this. If you send a blank ticket/coupon in with your laundry bag... your discount WILL NOT BE applied!

• Zipline—you must have enclosed shoes to use it—no exceptions (like closed toed sandals)

My friend used their shoes, same as the shoes for the rock climbing wall, so you dont have to have anything more than socks actually with you. Dont miss it because you have the wrong shoes.

We enjoyed the small wonders too.

• Do purchase the Live Allure book from the Rising Tide bar early in the week and really enjoy the hunt for the treasures by answering the questions; it’s worth it and it’s a nice souvenir to talk home

What is the Live Allure book? We are going on Oasis but I am assuming they will have the same type of a thing.

Just home from two weeks on the Allure and here are some thoughts I wanted to share. :)

• Small Wonders! These are hidden tiny art pieces magnified and placed in tall (3’ or 4’) displays all over the ship, but you have to be aware of your surroundings to find them!

• In Central Park at night, there are beautiful globes under an overpass that light up different colors which go along with the musical performances; this is not always noted in the Compass! What a discovery!

• The Hot Dog place on Boardwalk might have good “dogs” but you must bring your own soda or water because the only other beverage is a small bar service; also… no place to sit down to eat (not a pleasant experience) (and no decent way to take it back to your cabin while hot since they hand it to you on a flimsy paper plate)

• When we cruised in early September, the heat and humidity was overwhelming in every port; suggest taking a wash cloth to wipe your face/neck every time you go onshore

• Zipline—they make you take off all your jewelry (and watches); so go with a friend or park the stuff in a tote that they can keep off to the side for you

• Rock-climbing: you can use their shoes, but you must have your own socks; try not to get to the wall when it’s sunny as it can get very hot

• Aquatheater: nice experience but the first three rows are splash zones, so get to any event early—like 30 minutes of more!

• Johnny Rockets are great for breakfast, but it’s a small seating venue—inside and out! So get there early

• In Labardee, the Dragon ride has lockers for $4 for a few hours or $10 for all day; however there are free, large cubby holes for stashing your beach stuff for just the few minutes you’re on the ride!

• In Labardee, if you want one of those beach shade cabanas (don’t know their proper name), you must get out there early. They were all taken up by 10 AM!

• Since you’re leaving from Ft. Lauderdale, get yourself to a Wal-Mart or Target and purchase personal stuff instead of packing it; (pick up small bug spray for those island excursions if you’re susceptible to bug bites—check the weather beforehand because if they had rain within the week the mosquitoes will be out in force!)

• So many nice places to eat other than the Windjammer! The Central Park Café becomes very crowded for good reason and all the wonderful outdoor seating gets taken quickly; don’t be shy if you’re alone or it’s just the two of you—spot a table for four with only two and ask to sit with them!!! You’ll enjoy the company!

• The foods in the specialty restaurants are absolutely terrific! The MDR is on par (or better according to your personal opinion) with all other cruise ships and no one starves! If you can discipline yourself, try it all…just don’t eat it all! You can survive all that wonderful, different food!

• Did you know you can purchase some yummy StarBucks frozen drinks as “lite”? Only, see if they can make it with less ice and foam if they’re going to charge you full price for those nice java specials!

• With 6200+ passengers on our cruise, getting around in crowds sometimes can be trying (but not all the time!); look to see other ways of getting from one end of the ship to the other without going straight down the middle! (i.e., instead of going down the Promenade, use the 6th deck hall ways; instead of using the 5th deck from the Acquatheater, go down one deck and walk the “track” – only remember it’s a one way walking track)

• There are 21 pools and hot-tubs on the Allure—don’t expect any one pool not to be crowded; even on a sea day the Solarium fills up fast

• The Solarium gets hot and there is no decent coverage (why in the world can’t they put a sun block film over those glass covers to let in filtered light???); the decks get hot, too, so wear something on your feet

• On decks 11 and 12, aft, there are lounge chairs that no one uses! What a joy! (But beware—the sun can get hot out there too, even on sea days)

• Need to get out of your cabin for your steward to make it up? Try parking yourself in the Viking Lounge deep-cushy chairs for quiet and sunshine; or try the Pinnacle Chapel or Pinnacle Lounge

• Not really an Allure discovery, but we did take the Scoot-Coop excursion in Cozumel; be forewarned that these little three-wheeled scooters have no covering and you are exposed to bright hot sunshine. For safety, you are asked to wear a helmet; which is all good and well, but boy mine had a disgusting moldy smell from the inside! (From someone else’s sweat?) Suggest you take a cheap baseball cap and wear it backwards. Sorry we didn’t take a large pool towel to cover our seat and helmets. The Scoot-Coop excursion was a lot of fun and we’re glad we did it.

We had a good time since the Allure was our "destination" and she lived up to all the hype. Feel free to add to this list. For those just thinking about sailing her---go and enjoy the Nation of Why Not!

Some I knew, some I didnt...I will be on the Allure in 3 weeks. Thanks for the info!!

Just have one question. I have never been on Oasis class ships, so I guess I don't know what I am missing. But will you have a problem going on the smaller ships after going on the Oasis? We will be going on the NOS in Nov. and that will be the biggest ship we have been on. Seems like everyone is talking about the WOW factor on the Oasis. I am thinking it's kind of like going from an inside room to a balcony, once you do, you never want anything else. Just wondering!!

There is a great little deck that people don't realize is there or can't find. It is in front of the solarium one deck below. Getting there is the tricky part, go to deck 14 on the bow (front) elevators. Walk to the port side of ship (that's the left side of the ship when you are facing the bow.) like you were going to one of the cabins make a right and go to the end of the hall and there is a door leading out on to the deck. The deck has two platforms that protrude from the side of the ship. Great place for the sail away or to watch a sunrise or sunset at sea. Also in the middle of the deck there is a pole if you look at the cabinet it sits on the lucky coins for the ship are welded in there with a commemorative plaque.

Just got off Allure also, and your info is very useful.

Just one small addition to clarify for others because when I first read the paragraph above it looks like it could mean the AquaTheater is on deck 5 and/or the track is on deck 4.

The AquaTheater is on deck 6, so you would go down one deck to deck 5 to use the track. The track is also a good way to avoid crowds in the Promenade.

Bob

That could be interesting for me, trying to get my wedding rings off.

First thing I thought about at that tip. Mine has not been off in 30 years but since losing weight it perhaps could be worked off... on a really cold day in January with really dry air. I've been at waterslides where they wanted it off but reluctantly went with it being OK due to being just a plain band and no sharp edges. I wonder if RCI makes same exception.

One of these days we may have to break down and try one of the big ones. We'll see after moving up to Voyager class first. But great tips.

What is the Live Allure book? We are going on Oasis but I am assuming they will have the same type of a thing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1487186

Here we just did a thread on it. I posted pictures of it too.

To Vamembergs:

Did you have an outside balcony and did anyone smoking on the balcony bother you that you could not enjoy your balcony. We just booked the Allure of the Seas for Nov. 11th and booked an outside balcony but was concerned about smokers.

Please advise.

Thanks.

First thing I thought about at that tip. Mine has not been off in 30 years but since losing weight it perhaps could be worked off... on a really cold day in January with really dry air. I've been at waterslides where they wanted it off but reluctantly went with it being OK due to being just a plain band and no sharp edges. I wonder if RCI makes same exception.

One of these days we may have to break down and try one of the big ones. We'll see after moving up to Voyager class first. But great tips.

I didn't think too closely about this until I remembered the bracelet I never take off. It is a solid bangle and doesn't come off without considerable force. More force than a zip line arm waving panic might induce. I'll be wearing a long sleeved sun shirt over it.

Do glasses get to stay on? Landing might be difficult if people can't see. Will pack some eyeglass retainers/cords.

To Vamembergs:

Did you have an outside balcony and did anyone smoking on the balcony bother you that you could not enjoy your balcony. We just booked the Allure of the Seas for Nov. 11th and booked an outside balcony but was concerned about smokers.

Please advise.

Thanks.

We just returned from the Allure. Please be aware that if you go out on your balcony, your AC will stop working in the cabin. The door has to be closed and LOCKED in order for it to work. There is no way to enjoy your time on the balcony without the cabin becoming overly warm. We would rather go on a smaller ship and avoid this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

Been a bit under the weather and so I’m just now reading your replies. Thanks for your responses and I’m glad you found this interesting/fun/useful.

“Live the Oasis” Thanks for posting the extra information on this, Pichu21. I think it’s tougher to catch that Rising Tide Bar than getting the book! We had to ask the bartender; was shown the “sample” and when they couldn’t find their stock, we were sold the sample. Yes, buy it early in the week – go to customer service if you must. Thank you Pichu21!

Zipline: I was not asked to take off any rings. So your marriage vows will not to be questioned. ;) Now as for our glasses, we brought with us Eye-Glass Retainers (purchased at any sporting goods store for about $5) because we knew we were going to try this Zipline, as well as Parasailing. Really glad we did, because the sweat on my face kept making my sun glasses slide down my nose! Yes, Firefly333, I did hear the staff would let you borrow the rock-climbing shoes. Travelpeon: Bracelet? Not sure about this, just be forewarned, OK? The reasoning is 1) that you shouldn’t lose something important to you, and 2) the people using Boardwalk below! RCCL simple doesn’t want to take a chance having things drop down on them! :eek:

Jeanneful: I certainly understand about not going back to an inside room after enjoying a balcony! But yes, we’ll be sailing all the other classes of ships from now on. In fact, there are some real good reasons for “down-sizing,” as some small ships can get up close to Alaskan glaciers, and/or go through the Panama Canal. Now those are really great reasons to enjoy smaller ships!

Oneputt18: I do believe we got to that little part of the ship for a sail-away! I remember trying to get back inside and the open-door-sensor didn’t work! I finally slammed on the Emergency Open Door button!

Clarea: Thanks for adding to this thread.

Grumpy100: I certainly understand your concern about the smoke coming to you from other balconies. We were located in a section of non-smoking cabins, so we never experienced that problem! We were in 12596; where is your cabin? Did you choose a non-smoking cabin? Perhaps you may consider posting this question to this CC forum for others to respond. Good luck.

Montikat made a good point (and thank you for that); the Allure is very much into economy and saving the environment. It even has solar panels around the stacks that we noticed from our helicopter excursion pictures. (Thank you Vicki, for pointing them out!) I think, Montekat, that when you stated “smaller” ship you might be alluding to “older, less efficient” ships. Let’s, be real, folks; as much as we all love the sound of the ocean, running the AC 24x7 does cost $$$ and maybe even strains the AC system after a good period of so many people doing this. We tried to play with this aspect ourselves by leaving the door closed but not locked and the fan would continue to run. The Caribbean sun does heat up that room something fierce. :o

Well this was fun “chatting” with you all. For those about to sail on the Allure, we’re happy for you and we who have just come home know you’re in for a fantastic cruise – we wish you all the best. Maybe I’ll be reading your experiences next! :p

Nessa :cool:

Archived