electical outlets?

ozbuc

My wife and I will be bringing a small number of electronic gadgets on our cruise. Should I bring a power strip for charging these items?

I say yes bring a power strip. I do every cruise.I plug it in at the desk area and there is plenty of room for all our electronics. The 2 outlets on the desk area are small. Sometimes only 1 plug will fit there,especially if they are big.

There can be outlets by the TV, but they are difficult to get to.

Yes, you should. We take an "Octopus strip". It doesn't look like the traditional long bar with outlets all in a line but looks more like six to eight female ends of extension cords joined together. This keeps gadgets with power blocks from covering the adjacent outlets.

Also, if you have any low power bathroom appliances (like an electric toothbrush charger or a Water Pik), often the bathroom outlet will not accept a polarized plug so bring an adapter. You can tell if your appliance is polarized as one blade will be slightly wider than the other.

I have never tried to recharge my laptop via the bathroom plug, but everything else - camera batteries, cellphone...can be done in the bathroom. but I usually just plug a nightlight in there. EM

Most laptops have a three-pronged plug. The bathroom outlets I've seen have only two prongs but I can't speak for ALL ships. The outlets in the cabin have three prongs.

I carry 2 of these with me on all trips...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015DYMVO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0016IXEWG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NP8SM1GFPMP7H3H6DS2

They are small, charge up to 5 devices depending on power needed and rotate to fit almost anywhere..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015DYMVO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0016IXEWG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NP8SM1GFPMP7H3H6DS2

They are small, charge up to 5 devices depending on power needed and rotate to fit almost anywhere..

DH purchased two of these for our cruises and his business trips. He will no longer travel anywhere without them. (And I won't travel without at least one of them.)

The only caveat is the USBs do have an output limit. For example, if I am charging my iPad it takes all of the output and the other slot won't work. Hence why I carry 2 (and the associated chargers)

those look like a really good idea because it has the usb outlet as well

I always bring a triple tap, which is an adapter to make three outlets from one. Very small and easy. I've read that some ports/ships have confiscated multi outlet extension cords so if that happened at least you would have the triple tap to fall back to.

Thanks for posting this, I just purchased one from Walmart for our upcoming sailing.

I use a CPAP sleeping machine. I need an outlet close to the bed, Is there one I can use or do I need an extension cord?

Take an extension cord, especially if you are particular about which side of the bed you sleep on. You may need the extension cord depending on which side of the room your bed is. Having said that, we forgot the extension cord once and were provided one by our steward.

• 3 months later...
My wife and I will be bringing a small number of electronic gadgets on our cruise. Should I bring a power strip for charging these items?

Absolutely. Be sure you get one with a heavy duty cord, not one that has a cord like a home electrical extension cord; this is especially important as you don't want the power strip to be confiscated or catch on fire when drawing more juice than it can carry.

Archived