Some people amaze me

I thought the Suite was the perk? I don't know why Suite guests think they are entitled to special seating in shows, pools, parades and probably lifeboats. Once you step out of the suite your just like me. :rolleyes:

Ok,I'm going back to third class, just remember to unlock the gates on the stairs when the ship begins to sink.

Not necessary dude. I worked A LOT of OT for my wife and I to have a CL for our honeymoon and we loved it and I'm glad we got to experience it together. In no way, shape, or form to I come remotely close to resembling an attitude you've described there.

Anyway, they tell you that you will receive certain "perks" in on their website. I didn't say "I deserve this" they said "you will receive this."

Wow. Just wow. To save myself from an anxiety attack (is it the anonymity that allows people to say such presumptuous things or would you really say these things in person), I just skimmed over all these comments and I'll address the ones that stand out. I have a two year old so a sense of humour is a requirement but some of this stuff is hard to shrug off.

First off there were 7 of us booked in the suite including two seniors and my two young daughters. I went through my invoices and admit that I was wrong in our final tip total, it was just shy of $1000 and that includes the extra gratuity we paid to our room steward who we quite enjoyed.

We did know going in that we would likely never use the dining room. Why? A personal choice. Two young kids, dedicated meals in a not exactly casual venue (for girls who want to only eat hot dogs and macaroni), was not what we wanted. We wanted to try other venues and we had other family on board (not in a suite) and we enjoyed many informal meals in the windjammer and elsewhere. It was fantastic and casual and just what we wanted. FYI if you read the fine print, if you choose my time dining you must prepay your gratuities which is why it wasn't an option not to pay, but we did not know that at the time, it was simply added to our bill and we paid it without checking. Which was the lesson learned on my part that I already stated. We ate in the dining room once for the Dreamworks breakfast. That's it. As for cost of cover-charges, whether 150 CP was $40 or $50 the exact amount isn't the point, the point is that they're not insubstantial and I would have liked at least one meal at a speciality restaurant included as a perk.

We attended the following shows: Blue Planet, Chicago, How to Train your dragon (on ice) and watched the Aquatheater shows from our deck. We showed up early, scanned our gold cards and were not directly to speciality seating at these shows. I am told that VIP seating is only available for certain shows. Perhaps we missed those, and don't get me wrong, our seating was fine but we saw no special areas in our experiences and if I hadn't posted here I would still never know that anyone had experienced otherwise.

When we attended the one VIP event we were invited to we were approached by a fellow who told us that our suite was his responsibility but that we hadn't been in when he came to check on us. This was the Thursday of our cruise. I expected that once we had met him, chatted amiably while having a good time at the event, that we would see him again. We didn't. Was he our concierge or another member of the team? I don't know and never had the opportunity to find out. I suppose we will need to disagree on the fact that yes, I did in fact, expect at least one person (concierge or whatever the title) to come to our room and say hello. They may have 100 suites on the ship but they had 1 week and many different ways to do it.

As for toiletries....hmmm...let's be honest. I didn't 'need' more lotion or soap. In all my past cruise experiences if the toiletries were opened at all, new ones were set out. In fact, this is pretty much standard in every hotel room too. Didn't happen this time in our suite. Was it the fault of my suite attendant or the standard policy of RCI, I have no idea... that's why I mentioned it. If you think the issue was whether or not they were available then you missed the point, which is not having to ask. Also, in general the brand may have been acceptable but tiny squeeze bottles of the standard items are hardly luxurious. Princess used bottles and had spa like amenities.

You know, I think my point was lost here. I searched this forum when we came home because I wanted to know if my expectations were unreasonable. I don't feel 'entitled' but I was underwhelmed by the whole experience. Were you trying to shame me about posting on the RCI forum? I hate to burst your bubble, but I didn't even check to see which thread I was on when I posted. I just posted where it fit. Why would other RCI cruisers think it's funny that someone's experience in a suite was less than stellar or that they didn't experience the VIP treatment other's claim to have had, or even that we had to wait in line behind adults getting their faces painted?

Look, we did pay a lot for what we thought was a service that would 'knock our socks off'. We didn't get that. I'm sorry if that offends you somehow. I wasn't walking around angry and we had a great time. I just think the suite perks weren't worth the price we paid and in general were less than we had experienced prior. On the bright side maybe some of you who have only sailed RCi can look forward to an even better experience on other cruise lines!

Oh and in addition (nothing in particular to suites)... yes, in my opinion, there should have been a kid's first type priority for face painting and balloon animals. I think there should also be a family viewing area for the parades as the little ones can't see over the adults. I think it's great if adults want their faces painted and balloon flowers AND to ride the carousal all day. Great, but have a heart. Kids have limited patience and these things are big deals to them.

Ok now...be kind.

Maybe it's a spring break cruise? Crown Lofts are almost always among the last suites to go on cruises I have watched.

I agree, I watched at least 15 CL's be open until about 3 weeks before a couple of our cruises and then poof away they went. I seriously doubt they were all sold.

I thought the Suite was the perk? I don't know why Suite guests think they are entitled to special seating in shows, pools, parades and probably lifeboats. Once you step out of the suite your just like me. :rolleyes:

Ok,I'm going back to third class, just remember to unlock the gates on the stairs when the ship begins to sink.

If I am paying for it I would not consider it a perk.

Not necessary dude. I worked A LOT of OT for my wife and I to have a CL for our honeymoon and we loved it and I'm glad we got to experience it together. In no way, shape, or form to I come remotely close to resembling an attitude you've described there.

Anyway, they tell you that you will receive certain "perks" in on their website. I didn't say "I deserve this" they said "you will receive this."

Hear hear!!!!

I caught alot of flack around here because I complained the CL was crowded.[some told me I didn't cruise enough to have this opinion, although it was a fact on my sailings] I paid for a suite that gave me access to this room and when no seat or wall to lean on is to be seen-it can make you wonder what you just paid for. I did not consider it a perk. It was what I paid for. Royal is not telling a suite guest-you are only paying extra money for space as many CC members do try and tell you. Royal is telling you you have special access outside your stateroom-although many on CC do not like this. Unless they are D+ and get all and then some that suite guests do!!:p

That's not true actually, crewmembers did treat us differently with a gold card. I never book a suite, we did it this one time because it was a special occasion and we worked for it. But they do treat you differently once they see your card and once they know. You will get quicker service and service before others one you become familiar.

We were sitting in the dining room with Gold card folks and benefitted from their upgraded service. I do believe there is a difference in the way the crew treats you.

That being said... it is the ONLY benefit. RCI has the WORST suite benefits at sea. I have done extensive research on all the lines and it was a difficult decision to book a suite over 2 balcony cabins especially on a ship that has so few suite benefits (on a smaller ship). Happy hour wins! I totally agree with the OP about how if you are paying THAT much you should get at least 1 or 2 specialty dining room reservations. Step it up RCI. As for selling out... my cruise has been sold out of suites for a long time. I had to get on a wait list to change from an OS to a GS.

That being said... it is the ONLY benefit. RCI has the WORST suite benefits at sea. I have done extensive research on all the lines...

The WORST at sea? Huh? If you have done extensive research, what suite benefits did you find to be better on Carnival? What suite benefits did you find to be better on Celebrity? I've stayed in suites on most cruise lines and while I won't say RCI is the best with suite benefits, but there's no way I would say they're the WORST - not even close. On some lines, you get NO benefits except priority boarding. To the contrary, on my most recent Allure cruise, we had a private lounge (Crown Loft), the Concierge Lounge with all it's benefits, a suite reception, free behind the scenes tours, reserved seating for shows, reserved Windjammer seating in Izumi on embarkation day, our own outdoor deck with private seating and private bar - there's more I'm sure I'm not recalling. Point is, no, they are definitely NOT the "worst at sea." No way.

Granted, I'm talking Allure, but the suite benefits on smaller ships, like Radiance Class are still better than smaller ships of certain other cruise lines.

They must have changed it because on both my Oasis and Allure cruises, the Gold Card seats were the top 3 rows of the Aquatheater...2 rows of chairs and one bench row.

This was the case on Oasis as recently as last May... I can't comment on how it is now though.

To the contrary, on my most recent Allure cruise, we had a private lounge (CL), the Concierge Lounge with all it's benefits, a suite reception, free behind the scenes tours, reserved seating for shows, reserved Windjammer seating in Izumi on embarkation day, our own outdoor deck with private seating and private bar - there's more I'm sure I'm not recalling. Point is, no, they are definitely NOT the "worst at sea." No way.

Suite benefits vary by ship.... I have no desire to sail Allure! I prefer the smaller ships where there are FEW of the the above options. I chose my GS soley for the CL and the size of my balcony. There is not alternative seating for Windjammer, no alt seating for pool deck (which IMO are terrible seats - let us pick our seats to make them a true benefit - mine would be in the shade in the solarium)... etc.

And perhaps I should have said SOME of the worst at sea.... My DH won't even consider Carnival so I skipped them in my research.

I don't understand why this person amazes you. What the OP is saying is absolutely true.

We travel in the upper end suites on RCCL, NCL, and in some upper end suites on Silversea.

The RCCL suite experience is terrible if you compare it with NCL. Basically on RCCL you get the Concierge Lounge and larger real estate. Nothing else. On NCL (especially in a Garden Villa) you get a very exclusive, private, experience that can't even be matched by the luxury lines like Silversea.

Doesn't mean we don't like RCCL. But the suite experience is much better on other comparable lines.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

They must have changed it because on both my Oasis and Allure cruises, the Gold Card seats were the top 3 rows of the Aquatheater...2 rows of chairs and one bench row.

This was the case on Oasis as recently as last May... I can't comment on how it is now though.

5 combined cruises on Oasis Class, including Allure just last month, and the reserved seating was the top rows. Doubt it has changed. I can't imagine the Suite reserved seating being down in the Splash Zone. That must be a mistake on stags14's part.

I think the OP is absolutely correct in thinking that there should be special seating/standing areas for children to watch the parades ... and special consideration for face painting, etc.

I know that as an average-height adult I've never had a clear shot at the parades and we rarely stand near the front because Mr. Chew is way too tall and tries to be considerate of people behind him. Let the kids have the front row, people!!

As for the rest, we may spring for a JS one of these days, but we just don't see that all of the extra $$$ for a suite is worth it!

Wow. Just wow. To save myself from an anxiety attack (is it the anonymity that allows people to say such presumptuous things or would you really say these things in person), I just skimmed over all these comments and I'll address the ones that stand out. I have a two year old so a sense of humour is a requirement but some of this stuff is hard to shrug off.

First off there were 7 of us booked in the suite including two seniors and my two young daughters. I went through my invoices and admit that I was wrong in our final tip total, it was just shy of $1000 and that includes the extra gratuity we paid to our room steward who we quite enjoyed.

We did know going in that we would likely never use the dining room. Why? A personal choice. Two young kids, dedicated meals in a not exactly casual venue (for girls who want to only eat hot dogs and macaroni), was not what we wanted. We wanted to try other venues and we had other family on board (not in a suite) and we enjoyed many informal meals in the windjammer and elsewhere. It was fantastic and casual and just what we wanted. FYI if you read the fine print, if you choose my time dining you must prepay your gratuities which is why it wasn't an option not to pay, but we did not know that at the time, it was simply added to our bill and we paid it without checking. Which was the lesson learned on my part that I already stated. We ate in the dining room once for the Dreamworks breakfast. That's it. As for cost of cover-charges, whether 150 CP was $40 or $50 the exact amount isn't the point, the point is that they're not insubstantial and I would have liked at least one meal at a speciality restaurant included as a perk.

We attended the following shows: Blue Planet, Chicago, How to Train your dragon (on ice) and watched the Aquatheater shows from our deck. We showed up early, scanned our gold cards and were not directly to speciality seating at these shows. I am told that VIP seating is only available for certain shows. Perhaps we missed those, and don't get me wrong, our seating was fine but we saw no special areas in our experiences and if I hadn't posted here I would still never know that anyone had experienced otherwise.

When we attended the one VIP event we were invited to we were approached by a fellow who told us that our suite was his responsibility but that we hadn't been in when he came to check on us. This was the Thursday of our cruise. I expected that once we had met him, chatted amiably while having a good time at the event, that we would see him again. We didn't. Was he our concierge or another member of the team? I don't know and never had the opportunity to find out. I suppose we will need to disagree on the fact that yes, I did in fact, expect at least one person (concierge or whatever the title) to come to our room and say hello. They may have 100 suites on the ship but they had 1 week and many different ways to do it.

As for toiletries....hmmm...let's be honest. I didn't 'need' more lotion or soap. In all my past cruise experiences if the toiletries were opened at all, new ones were set out. In fact, this is pretty much standard in every hotel room too. Didn't happen this time in our suite. Was it the fault of my suite attendant or the standard policy of RCI, I have no idea... that's why I mentioned it. If you think the issue was whether or not they were available then you missed the point, which is not having to ask. Also, in general the brand may have been acceptable but tiny squeeze bottles of the standard items are hardly luxurious. Princess used bottles and had spa like amenities.

You know, I think my point was lost here. I searched this forum when we came home because I wanted to know if my expectations were unreasonable. I don't feel 'entitled' but I was underwhelmed by the whole experience. Were you trying to shame me about posting on the RCI forum? I hate to burst your bubble, but I didn't even check to see which thread I was on when I posted. I just posted where it fit. Why would other RCI cruisers think it's funny that someone's experience in a suite was less than stellar or that they didn't experience the VIP treatment other's claim to have had, or even that we had to wait in line behind adults getting their faces painted?

Look, we did pay a lot for what we thought was a service that would 'knock our socks off'. We didn't get that. I'm sorry if that offends you somehow. I wasn't walking around angry and we had a great time. I just think the suite perks weren't worth the price we paid and in general were less than we had experienced prior. On the bright side maybe some of you who have only sailed RCi can look forward to an even better experience on other cruise lines!

Oh and in addition (nothing in particular to suites)... yes, in my opinion, there should have been a kid's first type priority for face painting and balloon animals. I think there should also be a family viewing area for the parades as the little ones can't see over the adults. I think it's great if adults want their faces painted and balloon flowers AND to ride the carousal all day. Great, but have a heart. Kids have limited patience and these things are big deals to them.

Ok now...be kind.

Thanks for the clarifications. Glad to see that you did have a good time. That's the problem with only posting the negative part of your experience (and I understand that the context wasn't a full review, but a thread comparing suite perks, for those who didn't get it).

I've never had a Concierge come and check in on me in my cabin - that would be the stateroom attendant. But your stateroom attendant wouldn't be at a VIP party, so I'm going to guess that it was the Concierge. Was he never at the front desk (along with the other Concierge) when you came in for the cocktail hour or breakfast? That's where he should have been, if not circulating among the guests. But my understanding is that the CL workload is crushing, even with 2 of them. Haven't sailed either Beast or Blunder, so I don't know first hand.

And to toss a small flame at you:), I've sailed in suites on Princess and their toiletries come in the same small bottles are RCI's. Maybe 25ml larger, but nowhere near full size. And they're not as nice as the Gilchrist & Soames brand, IMO. Your stateroom attendant should have replaced them, but perhaps there's a decree not to unless asked - RCI is cutting costs in every way they can think of. You should have seen my trying to get a shower cap on Liberty (there's a little box in the D+/JS amenity tray that has one, along with cotton balls & Qtips - Liberty stopped providing them and even the Concierge couldn't scare one up for me).

5 combined cruises on Oasis Class, including Allure just last month, and the reserved seating was the top rows. Doubt it has changed. I can't imagine the Suite reserved seating being down in the Splash Zone. That must be a mistake on stags14's part.

I was just there last week, and it happened to me - I'm not giving out 2nd hand info here.

I showed the scanner person my card and said "I believe there are supposed to be reserved seating for us" and she replied "the bottom 3 rows." I wish I had made a mistake, but I believe the mistake is on RCCL's side. And that's not the only thing, the formal night pressing serivce is only for the first formal night and it's a limited amount of garmets - that is not what's advertised. It's not that I care, but if you say you're going to do something - do it. We also received NO special luggage valet.

We had an awesome cruise, and I didn't mind the seats really - it rained anyway a little towards the end so everyone got wet. But they aren't living up to their perks.

The Amber theatre seating in the back right corner behind the pillar isn't "prime" seating in my opinion either. If you want the best seats, you still have to get there early. Which is absolutely fine by me - my point is don't advertise the perks if you are not going to meet their descriptions.

I was just there last week, and it happened to me - I'm not giving out 2nd hand info here.

It wouldn't surprise me if they moved it. On my Allure cruise, the Aqua Theater filled up very quickly. 30 minutes before the show, it was about full. But there were a lot of seats open in those top 3 reserved rows and people were getting very angry because they couldn't find seats elsewhere. It was uncomfortable to even watch people looking for seats while all those seats were open. There were several heated moments with the ushers guarding the rows.

Jaczar,

Thank you for your clarification. On RCCL a suite is only more space, not much more. On NCL we were wowed with the Ship within a Ship experience on the Gem.

As far as tips go, usually one pays where or not they eat in the main dining room, the waiters depend on tips and all rotate to other places like Windjammer.

As far as Parades go, I go very early to get the space I want. It does annoy me when people push to nudge me out.... but I don't stop children from itching infront of me, but their parents sorry, will have to stand behind me.

I think the point in this case is wrong expectations. I don´t doubt most of the OP´s description. It´s the expectations that were set wrong. Yes there are perks with booking a suite on RCI and they are spelled out, on´t expect anything else and don´t expect the same that other lines give you.

Everything the OP describes sounds pretty much like how it is on RCI. As for the not replaced toilettries, that would have been the duty of the suite attendant that the OP enjoyed so much;) and could have been rectified by just mentioning it.

RCI´s suite perks are probably not the worst and not the best in the industry. Probably they are somewhere in the middle. Something to know and research before booking. I´m fine with what I get on RCI, but I can see others that feel entitled to more, they just should look elsewhere.

It's not about entitlement, and it's not abotut research - you can do all the research in the world, and still receive less than what is described. It's about a business delivering what they advertise. Plain and simple, RCI does not deliver very well in this category.

I spoke to RCI direct about the perks, I asked people on here about the perks and everyone spoke highly of them. People here seem to think that the will be struck by lightning if they say something that criticizes the line. How much more research would you suggest someone do?

Again, it's not about the perks being good or bad - it's about those perks actually existing and being carried out on the ship.

Is my thinking incorrect here that if the person paid $15,000 for *seven* people, that's "only" around $2,100 per person? To spend a week in a pretty awesome suite?

I have paid more than that in JS and D1 cabins for 5 night cruises as a solo cruiser. My 7 night cruise next September is costing me $2500. I get no perks and don't expect any (although it would be nice to get double the credits, being I have to pay for 2) I love to cruise and I could book an inside for a much lower price, but I like the space so I pay the premium for a balcony. Just like in any hotel you pay more for rooms with better location or a larger size.

RCI is certainly not the worst in the industry when it comes to suite perks. Carnival gets that award.

On RCI booking a suite gives you a larger cabin and a few other things. After having a suite on other cruise lines, RCI has some of the best suites afloat when it comes to the cabin itself.

I don't have an issue with what RCI advertises for suite perks. I have found that it matches what I have read on the RCI website. It's true that cruise lines like NCL and HAL have better perks but once you step out of the cabin, the ships cannot match that of RCI. Especially NCL. That's the difference for me. I still think the loft suites are some of the best at sea. The Sky Loft is now our favorite.

And that's not the only thing, the formal night pressing serivce is only for the first formal night and it's a limited amount of garmets - that is not what's advertised. It's not that I care, but if you say you're going to do something - do it. .

How much pressing did you expect to get done for your formal wear for the first formal night? I read it to be that your clothes for the first formal night will be pressed for free. I don't read it to be your week's worth of laundry will be pressed for free on the first formal night or even clothes for a second or third (if there is a third) would be free.

I would expect a dress for a woman, a suit, and maybe a shirt for a man. I haven't stayed in a suite with the free pressing, so I don't know what could be sent and that's why I am wondering what you wanted to get done that they didn't do.

How much pressing did you expect to get done for your formal wear for the first formal night? I read it to be that your clothes for the first formal night will be pressed for free. I don't read it to be your week's worth of laundry will be pressed for free on the first formal night or even clothes for a second or third (if there is a third) would be free.

I would expect a dress for a woman, a suit, and maybe a shirt for a man. I haven't stayed in a suite with the free pressing, so I don't know what could be sent and that's why I am wondering what you wanted to get done that they didn't do.

This is from the letter I got from our concierge yesterday, listing suite benefits. About the pressing---

* Complimentary pressing service only on 1st formal night. Limited to a garment bag per guest.

This is from the letter I got from our concierge yesterday, listing suite benefits. About the pressing---

* Complimentary pressing service only on 1st formal night. Limited to a garment bag per guest.

Thanks for answering my question. That seems like a fair amount to me. If the bag is the same size as the laundry bag, then I would think with 7 bags for 7 people, that would be enough for the formal night.

Let's face it - RCI has some of the least impressive suite perks in the mass market line. They've slowly begun to differentiate what people in full suites get, but IMO it's not as good as what Princess offers (the only one I've experienced first-hand) - free unlimited Internet, a special breakfast menu in Sabatini (way better than the special seating in the WJ), free laundry & drycleaning, a minibar setup (yes, the CL is a better perk than that), flowers in the cabin, and a few other things that have slipped my mind.

I believe Oasis and Allure offer a special breakfast and lunch menu with service in the CL. I don't think it is quite what Princess offers in Sabatini's but, it is certainly not the WJ.

From reading the rant I believe OP just didn't take advantage of the amenities offered. They didn't use the CL, they didn't find the reserved seating, they didn't take the kids into the MDR, etc, etc.

I think the social aspect of the CL and DL is one thing that sets RCL and now Celebrity off from the amenities offered on other cruise lines.

Archived