Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

We sent for our Visas in January and we got them back about three weeks later. I don't think I put anything at all on the applications about flight information, just when we were arriving and how many days we were staying. I did put down all our hotels. If you are using GenVisa for your Visas you can call them with any question. They are very helpful.

They are totally helpful, and they'll answer questions even if you haven't yet decided whether to use them....

I contacted the Ritz C Financial street, and was told breakfast was included with the room - so not really part of Viking tour, and so we'll enjoy breakfast. Viking's little book that just came says 'meals start on Day 2', so it doesn't sound like dinner is included. We've had friends take the same tour and had to pay for their first dinner. But if anyone hears something different, we'l love to hear.

We stayed at the Ritz and dinner was NOT included the first night. We had dinner in the Ritz dining room the first night, we were just too tired to wander around and try to find a restaurant. There is a supermarket under the Ritz if you need to purchase anything that you forgot. Also there is a Starbucks next door (by the entrance), too.

Hi All, I was wondering what people did for vaccinations. I called Viking and they do not require any. I asked my doctor and she recommended Hep A and to look at the CDC website. I went to CDC and it does not look like China is a high risk area for Hep A but a big risk area for Hep B. I did a search on this thread for vaccinations and found that some people got some so I'm hoping you could share again with everyone going soon what vaccinations you got. Thanks. My doctor did prescribe an antibiotic for me (not Cipro) to use only if necessary.

Hi All, I was wondering what people did for vaccinations. I called Viking and they do not require any. I asked my doctor and she recommended Hep A and to look at the CDC website. I went to CDC and it does not look like China is a high risk area for Hep A but a big risk area for Hep B. I did a search on this thread for vaccinations and found that some people got some so I'm hoping you could share again with everyone going soon what vaccinations you got. Thanks. My doctor did prescribe an antibiotic for me (not Cipro) to use only if necessary.

Hi, we went to our local Health Unit and they gave us a trip report for China and have attached it here. We had a flu shot in the fall and have had all the recommended shots for a previous trip other than for Typhoid fever, which isn't manditory, but we can't get it anyway as there is no vacine available here. We are also going to take Dukoral before we go for Traveller's Diarrhea and bring immodium and pepto bismol just in case. Let me know if you can't read the attachment and I can email it to you if you like.

We recieved our information package Monday. I know we are in the same hotels as you in China but didn't know until we got the package about the hotels for the Hong Kong extension. We are staying at the Shangri-La in Guilin and the Kowloon Shangri-La in Hong Kong. Is that where you are also?

Traveler Trip Report.pdf

Now I am following the great info on medicines to bring.

Susan

Bring any and all OTC drugs that you might even think that you need. I ran out of Zantac and had to purchase a Chinese version :eek:. I'm still not sure what I was taking, but it seemed to work :eek::D. I also ran out of Sudafed for my husband, went to a pharmacy and found a similar product (with the help of the pharmacist). If you do have to visit the pharmacy..........select the drug that you need, pay for it and then go back and pick it up.

There is a doctor on board, he speaks no English, so your Tour Director will have to be there with you to interpret. Several people on our trip got colds and had to visit the doc.

Hi, we went to our local Health Unit and they gave us a trip report for China and have attached it here. We had a flu shot in the fall and have had all the recommended shots for a previous trip other than for Typhoid fever, which isn't manditory, but we can't get it anyway as there is no vacine available here. We are also going to take Dukoral before we go for Traveller's Diarrhea and bring immodium and pepto bismol just in case. Let me know if you can't read the attachment and I can email it to you if you like.

We recieved our information package Monday. I know we are in the same hotels as you in China but didn't know until we got the package about the hotels for the Hong Kong extension. We are staying at the Shangri-La in Guilin and the Kowloon Shangri-La in Hong Kong. Is that where you are also?

It looks like we will be at the same hotels for the duration. How wonderful. :D

Vaccines - If I am reading this right it looks like the only vaccines that might be needed would be Hep A and Influenza. All the others seem to be for the adventurous sort or the people with prolonged stays. I don't think that's me. :p Also, I called Viking and the man told me that our itinerary WILL NOT take us to any places where we might have a threat.

So what shots did you get for your previous trip that would help on this trip?

SAILED: Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011

SAILED: Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. December 11, 2011.

SAILED: Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.

How do you compare how well Viking did on your two European trips with them to the China experience?

Vaccines - If I am reading this right it looks like the only vaccines that might be needed would be Hep A and Influenza. All the others seem to be for the adventurous sort or the people with prolonged stays. I don't think that's me. :p Also, I called Viking and the man told me that our itinerary WILL NOT take us to any places where we might have a threat.

Hep B shots take 3 shots over 6 months as I remember from when I got them about 15 years ago. So, unless you are not going for awhile, too late for that. Keeping meals to what Viking provides or the more reputable restaurants should safeguard you as much as possible. I, personally, haven't seen any posts about people getting Hep B on this tour. There are no vaccinations listed as necessary for Americans visiting China. Everything I've read says avoid 'street food'. Bottled water is provided, other posts made it sound like it was freely available. Hope that helps.

We got Hep A & B, Diphtheria & Tetanus.

How do you compare how well Viking did on your two European trips with them to the China experience?

I have been pleased with every Viking trip that we have done (4). China's trip was so different than the European trips. (Also did Southern France).

A couple things that Viking does that other lines don't do in Europe:

Let you pick the group that you want to be in for each and every included tour. They have baskets of numbers, usually 1 thru 5 and each person picks a number and that is the group you are in. One is not constantly with the same Tour Director (like in China).

They have a light lunch in the lounge............sandwiches, burgers, carved meats, some themed foods (Germany, esp), soups, salads.

Sharon

When I went to China 2010, I got the Hepatitis A & B (twinrix) shot. I can't remember if Viking recommended it or if it was my doctor that said I should have it.

I wouldn't eat or drink anything other than on the ship or in the hotels.

It was a great trip. I only went because my friends husband wouldn't go with her but I really enjoyed it.

This may sound like a stupid question but my wife uses "Sweet and Low" (the pink packet) for her coffee. Is this available on the Emerald? and in the hotels? thanks for your feedback.

TT

BYO, then you are sure to have your sweetener of choice wherever you go.

I wouldn't eat or drink anything other than on the ship or in the hotels.

Especially good advice for those who have tender tummies. Viking has a vested interest in keeping its passengers healthy. Still, for some of us, even traveling cross country upsets the balance.

Edited by Peregrina651

We received our visas today!!! I have nothing but good things to say about Generations Visa Service.

Even though we live right outside of Washington D.C., we chose to use their service instead of taking time off from work and all the other things involved that would proably take most of two days.

I mailed our forms and passports, with a confirmation of receipt, and paid the $8 fee for the Fed Ex signed return to us. The turn-around time was 15 days.

I highly recommend Generations Visa Service.

P.S. We are on the May 11 tour. Anyone else out there?? I would love to hear from you.

Having spoken with our Doc = who is our youngest son's Godfather, so 20 + years of confidence, We have had Hep B and it appears to last a life time. We are going Monday AM for Hep A first shot, better than nothing, although we'll have to wait for the second two till our return, but even one is a good thing. We'll take Amoxicillin, and still deciding what else. But big thing is to take what prescriptions you need, China does different additives than we're used to. So, better not to use their pharmacies.

Our doc is not at all sure about a second influenza shot - had ours in Oct, but he's researching tonight to see if that's smart, or taking an anti-viral. I'll share more as I hear.

We just made an appointment to get a hep A shot. I think that is the only vaccination we will get. We also have three each of Azithromycin pills that our doctor prescribed for us. We always make sure that we bring enough of our normal medicines. Other than that we will probably take otc diarrhea medicine and bug spray.

Is there an opportunity to see the Chinese face changers? They're definitely on my to-do list.

Anyone else on the 5/31 trip? I sent my passport off on 3/1, so I expect to get it back shortly.

75 days and counting!

Is there an opportunity to see the Chinese face changers? They're definitely on my to-do list.

Stan, a crew member on the Emerald was excellent. He performs during the crew cabaret at the end of the cruise. I don't know if he is working again this year...if not someone else will do it.

I just watched the video of a traditional rural Chinese wedding that took place on March 1 this year...very interesting and so much different than a typical American wedding. No bridal party, procession began at the bride's parents home where she sat on a bed in her wedding dress(white) with a Polynesian style wreath on her head to be pampered by the groom, who is dressed in a suit. He gives her the bouquet. She is fed dumplings, strands of red thread are braided into her hair for good luck during the trip to the groom's parents house. The groom placed her shoes on her feet, which in this case were zip up above the ankle high boots. Then gold ribbons were wrapped around the red boots and a red veil placed over her to cover her face. The bride's feet are not allowed to touch the ground until she is in the groom's parents home.

The groom carries the bride to the wedding car which is decorated with flowers, the bride's window is also covered by a veil to prevent anyone from seeing her. Some how he manages to get her in the car without her feet touching the ground. When the wedding car arrives at the groom's parents he again carries her into the home...in this case it was a 7th floor apartment so some concessions were made. The bride was carried until the groom was tired, then up the last flight of stairs. The red braid and veil are removed and the bride again sits on a bed where she is given last minute advice from the in-laws before proceeding to the hotel for the wedding.

The bride and groom stand out front and greet the guests as they arrive. The the bride and groom then enter the hotel, walk the "flowers from the sky"...where roses petals are tossed on them as they walk to the stage in the banquet hall. A wedding official introduces them and gives a short speech then the official and the groom stand in front of a planter of artificial roses. The roses magically begin to bloom revealing the bride's ring which the groom places on her figure. The procedure is repeated with the bride acquiring the groom's ring which she places on his finger. The couple toasts, then the groom's parents are introduced on stage. They welcome the bride, they all bow and hug...the bride now calls them "Mom and Dad." The parents then toast each table in the banquet room while the bride and groom change. The bride then wore a red with gold traditional Chinese jacket with a skirt. And they toast with each table in much the same manner as the parents. Then everyone goes home...no cake, no DJ or dancing. This wedding took place in Hengshui, about 3 hours from Beijing...different areas have different traditions. The couple is expecting twins!

If you have an extra day in Beijing and would like to visit the Great Wall without any tourists, my friend knows all the best places:

DSC_5272-M.jpg

%E5%B1%95%E6%9C%9B-M.jpg

A short Chinese lesson...the sun and the moon together(ming) means bright, combine with the color white (bai) to convey that you understand...Mingbai (明白). When the Chinese approach and ask "Cong meiguo" you can reply Wo mingbai...shi de, wo shi meiguo ren. "Are you American? I understand. Yes, I am American. Well maybe learn Nihao first;-).

Our doc is not at all sure about a second influenza shot - had ours in Oct, but he's researching tonight to see if that's smart, or taking an anti-viral. I'll share more as I hear.

Keep in mind that everybody's needs are different and everyone should be talking to their own doctor about what shots to get and which antibiotics to take with you. Some of us are more susceptible than other because of our health history--allergies, sensitivities, immune system issues, etc.

In any case, you should be bringing antibiotics with you, even if you never use them. It is easier to have your own than to have to find a pharmacy while you are traveling. Moreover, your doctor knows which antibiotics work for you --or even more importantly, which don't work for you.

I just watched the video of a traditional rural Chinese wedding that took place on March 1 this year...very interesting and so much different than a typical American wedding.

We ate lunch with Viking at a hotel in Chongquing at a time there was a wedding reception in progress. (Below is a picture of a poster that was set up in the lobby.)

One other thing we found different about the wedding is that the guests pay for the reception. There was a check-in table where the money was being collected from each guest.

020100_4811080810AweddingatCarltonHotelChongquing_zps734d3660.jpg

We ate lunch with Viking at a hotel in Chongquing at a time there was a wedding reception in progress.

One other thing we found different about the wedding is that the guests pay for the reception. There was a check-in table where the money was being collected from each guest.

Did someone explain to you that they were paying to attend? Normally guests give the couple money at this time in lieu of a gift.

Here is a photo made from a video of the face changer at the moment he is changing masks to show how quickly it occurs.

You are seeing one frame of the video as the inner mask is revealed:

MVI_0658d-M.jpg

This is Stan, the Face Changer:

IMG_0952-M.jpg

One other thing we found different about the wedding is that the guests pay for the reception. There was a check-in table where the money was being collected...
They would have been giving a hongbao. Chinese people generally give money instead of a present on all occasions. At Weddings the money is collected and kept safe by a member of the Wedding party and a table is normally setup for this purpose, as you saw. The Parents of the Bride and Groom will often give some sort of present, which is likely to either be an item for the Wedding (such as the rings) or something to help the couple start their life together (which can be as extravagne as buying them a house)

Sean :)

This may sound like a stupid question but my wife uses "Sweet and Low" (the pink packet) for her coffee. Is this available on the Emerald? and in the hotels? thanks for your feedback.

TT

Don't know if this was answered but I didn't see sweet n low but did see splenda and equal.