Why is LOS sailing a 4 day itin?

delta13

I am booked on NOS in Dec. on a 6 day itin and noticed they have LOS on the 4 day. I have only sailed on RCI on the Majesty and have chosen CCL the last few cruises due to cost. I hear NOS is nice but would have liked a newer ship for this longer itin and wondering why they have LOS on a 4 day? Thoughts?

Liberty is doing an alternating 4 and 5 night sailings....why....because having a newer Freedom class ship doing shorter sailings is very desirable.....gives cruisers a chance to sail a big ship at a lesser cost and over an extended weekend.

I am booked on NOS in Dec. on a 6 day itin and noticed they have LOS on the 4 day. I have only sailed on RCI on the Majesty and have chosen CCL the last few cruises due to cost. I hear NOS is nice but would have liked a newer ship for this longer itin and wondering why they have LOS on a 4 day? Thoughts?

I'm not complaining, we have limited vacation time and we get to do a 4-night cruise on Liberty while only taking 1 1/2 days off (as it leaves on Thursday and we live by the port) Goooooo Liberty! Looking forward to try the freedom class out!

Don't you mean "Why Not?" ;)

I'm excited about the Liberty 4/5 day....just booked one for next Feb...unfortunately, I need to fly from the West Coast to do it! We must not be very good at geography, as we go to Fort Lauderdale to get to Cozumel! :D

As far as short cruises go, I miss the Monarch very much, and we've done the Navigator twice, which was great.....but I'm happy to have the Liberty doing the 4/5 nighters :)

I'm not complaining, we have limited vacation time and we get to do a 4-night cruise on Liberty while only taking 1 1/2 days off (as it leaves on Thursday and we live by the port) Goooooo Liberty! Looking forward to try the freedom class out!

Our position exactly! We are on the December 15 with you, and the February 23 sailing. I need to use very little vacation time and make the short drive over from Naples. I hope it is successful for RCI and they keep the large ship/short itineraries.

I wish they had given Navigator the routes that Liberty is doing and given Liberty the 8/6 nighters that Navigator will be doing and that Independence was doing before they banished the ship to other parts of the world.

Our position exactly! We are on the December 15 with you, and the February 23 sailing. I need to use very little vacation time and make the short drive over from Naples. I hope it is successful for RCI and they keep the large ship/short itineraries.

Yes. This really is handy. Nothing against the Majesty but we've done that ship a couple of times. We did nearly the same cruise on the Navigator back in March (left Thursday, day at sea, cozumel, day at sea) and really enjoyed it. We're definietly looking forward to a new ship. Then it's just drive DW to work on monday morning (no school so don't even have to worry about DD)

The short cruises are more profitable for the cruise lines if they can keep them at full occupancy levels. The Celebrity Constellation is switching to a 5/4 schedule next year. I had a conversation with one of the Constellation officers recently and he said passengers get taped out after three to four days on the longer cruises and revenue drops substantially in the bars, shops, and other revenue producing venues. Short cruise pax will spend, spend, spend if it's just for a few days.

I wish they had given Navigator the routes that Liberty is doing and given Liberty the 8/6 nighters that Navigator will be doing and that Independence was doing before they banished the ship to other parts of the world.

Couldn't agree more! We did an 8-night eastern Caribbean on Indy and it was my favorite on RCI.

Maybe it's just me showing my age, but I kind of like the old business model...relegate the older ships to the shorter itineraries and give the longer routes to the newer ships with the bells and whistles. I completely understand why Royal is marketing the newer ships to the weekend getaway/party/local demographic; but I don't have to like it:)

Couldn't agree more! We did an 8-night eastern Caribbean on Indy and it was my favorite on RCI.

Maybe it's just me showing my age, but I kind of like the old business model...relegate the older ships to the shorter itineraries and give the longer routes to the newer ships with the bells and whistles. I completely understand why Royal is marketing the newer ships to the weekend getaway/party/local demographic; but I don't have to like it:)

I agree too...I loved the 8 nighter on Indy out of FLL..Did the last 8 nighter RCI offered on LOS out of Miami this past March..Didn't compare some how..something just seemed off...Would love to sail the Southern Caribbean on a Freedom class ship..I hope RCI will rethink what they have done with sending so many ships to service Europe...They seem to have become "Royal European International"

I agree too...I loved the 8 nighter on Indy out of FLL..Did the last 8 nighter RCI offered on LOS out of Miami this past March..Didn't compare some how..something just seemed off...Would love to sail the Southern Caribbean on a Freedom class ship..I hope RCI will rethink what they have done with sending so many ships to service Europe...They seem to have become "Royal European International"

Apparently the people who establish the itineraries are convinced that there is more profit to be made by placing their ships on 4 and 5 day itineraries, although I wonder how the more frequent turnovers will affect the crew and the physical condition of the ships. The cruise experience one gets from a shorter cruise is certainly different from the one you get from a longer cruise (the type we normally prefer). We noticed the difference when we followed a 13 night repositioning cruise on Jewel with a 3 nighter b2b on the same ship a few years back. The crowds were totally different as was the atmosphere onboard the ship.

It could be that vacation preferences are truly trending towards shorter but more frequent trips and this change reflects that trend. Fortunately, for us, there are still some longer cruises being offered and in fact, next year's Jewel westbound TA is two nights longer (16) than this year's and has added an additional port of call (Faroe Islands) and changed another (Portland Dorset, UK for Cherbourg, France).

When it becomes more profitable for them to deploy more of their ships in the Caribbean than in Europe,you can be sure that they will do so. Until then we, and many others, will enjoy the opportunities that RCI provides us:) to visit other parts of the world than the islands of the Caribbean.:)

Apparently the people who establish the itineraries are convinced that there is more profit to be made by placing their ships on 4 and 5 day itineraries, although I wonder how the more frequent turnovers will affect the crew and the physical condition of the ships. The cruise experience one gets from a shorter cruise is certainly different from the one you get from a longer cruise (the type we normally prefer). We noticed the difference when we followed a 13 night repositioning cruise on Jewel with a 3 nighter b2b on the same ship a few years back. The crowds were totally different as was the atmosphere onboard the ship.

It could be that vacation preferences are truly trending towards shorter but more frequent trips and this change reflects that trend. Fortunately, for us, there are still some longer cruises being offered and in fact, next year's Jewel westbound TA is two nights longer (16) than this year's and has added an additional port of call (Faroe Islands) and changed another (Portland Dorset, UK for Cherbourg, France).

When it becomes more profitable for them to deploy more of their ships in the Caribbean than in Europe,you can be sure that they will do so. Until then we, and many others, will enjoy the opportunities that RCI provides us:) to visit other parts of the world than the islands of the Caribbean.:)

The airfare is always a consideration for us on the west coast to cruise with RCI..Hardly worth it to us to fly for a less than 7 night cruise...Just recently back from the LOS western med and was "very" surprised at how few USA'ers were onboard..Only 15-20 passengers were even eligible to use the DL..and on last years JOS Baltic only 12-15 (diamond event eligibles) Concierge's figures..This shocked me and both cruises seemed to have many cabins available according to those onboard..So what is going on with RCI and Europe..is it turning out to be that profitable or not..what are your thoughts as to what is going to happen ?

They didn't bring Navigator back for no reason. Now, if I can only arrange to get Indy back.:):)

The reason that Liberty is doing shorter cruises and not Navigator is because Navigator was originally scheduled to be in Europe this winter. It's likely that Navigator would be the ship doing 4/5 night cruises and Liberty would be the ship doing 6/8 night cruises if they originally planned for Navigator to be here this winter.

Honestly, I think hands down that this is done to promote the new Oasis class ships for the 7 days. A LOT of folks would choose Liberty over Oasis/Allure for a 7 day trip.

Maybe. I sailed Independence 2 years ago on an 8 nighter and Oasis was selling at a much higher premium that week than Indy was. So it would seem that Oasis had enough booking to keep the prices up. Maybe over time that would change.

Hi,

I am glad that the Liberty of the Seas is doing the 4 and 5 day cruises this winter. I am booked on the Dec. 15, 2011 cruise. I have done many cruises with Royal Caribbean, but I have never cruised aboard a Freedom class ship. This gives me a chance to try the Liberty of the Seas and only miss three days of work. Considering that the four day cruise has two full days at sea, there is a decent amount of time to enjoy the ship. I did this same itinerary this past March on the Navigator of the Seas and had a great time.

Last month, I cruised aboard the Allure of the Seas (what an amazing ship). I really enjoy comparing the different ships.

Chuck

Maybe. I sailed Independence 2 years ago on an 8 nighter and Oasis was selling at a much higher premium that week than Indy was. So it would seem that Oasis had enough booking to keep the prices up. Maybe over time that would change.

2 years ago Oasis was the new toy...

A lot of vacationers are coming back favoring the Freedom class.. I could be wrong but I feel strongly about this. With the Liberty on a 7 day itinerary, they would essentially be competing with themselves..

A lot of vacationers are coming back favoring the Freedom class.. I could be wrong but I feel strongly about this. With the Liberty on a 7 day itinerary, they would essentially be competing with themselves..

You're not wrong... they don't want any competition for the Oasis/Allure and be able to keep prices up..My 8 nighter last March on the Indy was priced so much lower than the Oasis that was leaving the same day...similar itinerary but one less night...

Take a look at the most prime spring break week.....4/1/12.....Freedom balcony pricing has jumped above Oasis balcony pricing.....and they are both on the western route...... seems like strong demand for Freedom class.

The airfare is always a consideration for us on the west coast to cruise with RCI..Hardly worth it to us to fly for a less than 7 night cruise...Just recently back from the LOS western med and was "very" surprised at how few USA'ers were onboard..Only 15-20 passengers were even eligible to use the DL..and on last years JOS Baltic only 12-15 (diamond event eligibles) Concierge's figures..This shocked me and both cruises seemed to have many cabins available according to those onboard..So what is going on with RCI and Europe..is it turning out to be that profitable or not..what are your thoughts as to what is going to happen ?

Not sure why you were surprised:confused:....none of the med sailings have had high demand for USA'rs....the ships weren't brought across the pond for the American market...they were brought for the European market....it's only when demand in Europe slowed that the push to try to sell them to the US market was on.....but it hasn't worked......air-fare is the killer....in a poor economy people are going to trend closer to home...especially with a currency exchange that works against them.

Hi,

I am glad that the Liberty of the Seas is doing the 4 and 5 day cruises this winter. I am booked on the Dec. 15, 2011 cruise. I have done many cruises with Royal Caribbean, but I have never cruised aboard a Freedom class ship. This gives me a chance to try the Liberty of the Seas and only miss three days of work. Considering that the four day cruise has two full days at sea, there is a decent amount of time to enjoy the ship. I did this same itinerary this past March on the Navigator of the Seas and had a great time.

Last month, I cruised aboard the Allure of the Seas (what an amazing ship). I really enjoy comparing the different ships.

Chuck

Which sailing did you do on the Navigator in March? It would be interesting, since we are both doing the same cruise in December, if we were both on the same one in March as well. We did the 4-night Navigator sailing that left March 17th (St Patricks day)

Archived