Port Everglades car rental pick up

skivoodoo

I am booked with Alamo for November and have been told they still provide shuttle service to and from the port. When we went in March we either used Budget or Thrifty and they did not provide shuttle service. (even though we were told they did). The Alamo shuttle driver was very nice though as they told us we could ride anyway due to the miscommunication! They now have 1 big camoflauge colored bus that services several rental agencies. I will look over my receipts to let you know for sure which company we used.

We cruised out of FLL last year for a New Year's cruise. We were there a few days early and rented with National. When returning the car we took a shuttle to the dock from the airport's car rental center. I don't recall if the shuttle was limited to certain car companies or not. Also, the hours to the docks are somewhat limited so I suggest you call your chosen rental company's desk in FLL and ask directly.

We did not use a the service during disembarkation but took PC's transfer to the Miami Airport with EZ-Check so we have no first-hand experience from the dock to the rental center.

Bottom line: There is a shuttle from the airport car rental center to the cruise docks but you should still check direct. It's worth the phone call.

For those of you coming and going at port Everglades, have you seen a budget rental car van? Any other companies that you have noticed? Thanks for any updates on which companies still provide this service.

Yes there is a budget rental van and actually you can rent it from Quay plaza on 17th street. We get our car from the airport and when turning it in go to Quay plaza and get a quick 10 minute ride to the pier And they do pick up folks from the pier going in the opposite direction

Pete

Yes there is a budget rental van and actually you can rent it from Quay plaza on 17th street. We get our car from the airport and when turning it in go to Quay plaza and get a quick 10 minute ride to the pier And they do pick up folks from the pier going in the opposite direction

Pete

Beat me to it. I've done this many times. On a few occasions, I've actually dropped The Hubby and luggage at the ship, returned the car to the Quay plaza and walked to the ship when it's docked in the berth closest to 17th St. Very convenient.

Thanks for the information about the Quay site. That's where we currently haveour car booked. I didn't think the airport rental agencies pick up at the port.

They do P/U at the port,

The City of Ft Lauderdale provides the free airport shuttle service for the companies with counters at the consolidated location across form the main terminal at the airport. :)

The free shuttle serves all the rental companies that are in the airport rental center location. ;)

They do P/U at the port,

The City of Ft Lauderdale provides the free airport shuttle service for the companies with counters at the consolidated location across form the main terminal at the airport. :)

This is actually outdated info, as Alamo and National are the only ones that use that shuttle now. If you return a car to the airport with the other companies there you are on your own for transportation. However, most of the other major companies also have locations right outside the port, and either have free or cheap transport from those locations. Taxis are also quite cheap to/from those locations, and many people find that better as the rental vans are quite often full or take a long time to make their runs.

The free shuttle serves all the rental companies that are in the airport rental center location. ;)

Sorry that is not true, as stated by DanJ. I would hate to think that someone replied on this incorrect info. No offense, highheel girl - I know for absolute certain that Budget does not participate in that shared shuttle back to Port Everglades. We had to take a cab to the pier. I mean, no biggie, but as written your info is incorrect. Just wanted to give the heads up.

In the past we used Budget who had a facility alongside Thrifty on Miami Road and they had a shuttle to and from the Port. Has this changed?
My apologies folks. The car rental company alongside Thrifty is in fact DOLLAR and not Budget. Sorry for misleading anyone.

Sorry that is not true, as stated by DanJ. I would hate to think that someone replied on this incorrect info. No offense, highheel girl - I know for absolute certain that Budget does not participate in that shared shuttle back to Port Everglades. We had to take a cab to the pier. I mean, no biggie, but as written your info is incorrect. Just wanted to give the heads up.

This is actually outdated info, as Alamo and National are the only ones that use that shuttle now. If you return a car to the airport with the other companies there you are on your own for transportation. However, most of the other major companies also have locations right outside the port, and either have free or cheap transport from those locations. Taxis are also quite cheap to/from those locations, and many people find that better as the rental vans are quite often full or take a long time to make their runs.

Here is the information on the Ft Lauderdale Airport location. :rolleyes:

Rental Cars

Broward County > Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport > Transportation > Rental Cars

The Rental Car Center (RCC) offers 12 rental car companies in one building next to Terminal 1. Rental car customers no longer need to travel off-site to pick up or drop off their cars.

There is an ATM on the second level of the RCC, east of the Concourse B pedestrian bridge.

Arriving Passengers Renting Cars

Passengers arriving at Terminal 1 should follow Rental Car Center signage to the Concourse B pedestrian bridge. The bridge is located near the Concourse B security checkpoint.

Passengers arriving at Terminals 2, 3, or 4 should follow Rental Car Center signs to the passenger pick-up area for free shuttle bus service. The pick-up areas are located outside of the baggage claim level, by the curb. The shuttle buses will take you to the RCC.

Departing Passengers Returning Cars

Before your departing flight, please return the rental car to the appropriate company in the RCC. A detailed map and directions will help you find the Rental Car Center.

Shuttle buses will take you from the RCC to Terminals 2, 3, and 4 for your departing flight. Terminal 1 is accessible via the pedestrian bridge on level 2.

RCC shuttle service operates on the lower level at all terminals and level 3 of the Rental Car Center. The service is available every 10 minutes, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

On-Site Rental Car Companies in the Rental Car Center:

Advantage Rent A Car800-777-5500Level 3

Alamo800-462-5266Level 2

Avis800-331-1212Level 3

Budget800-527-0700Level 4

Dollar800-800-4000Level 4

Enterprise800-325-8007Level 4

E-Z Rent A Car800-277-5171Level 4

Hertz800-654-3131Level 3

National800-227-7368Level 2

Payless800-729-5377 Level 4

Royal800-314-8616Level 3

Thrifty800-847-4389Level 2

GPS Address

Rental Car Center

600 Terminal Drive

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33315

Yes, and that info is out of date. The bus sign even alternates with "Port Everglades" and "National/Alamo". But nobody has to take my word for it. I do suggest that anyone booking a car from any other company at FLL call ahead to check on shuttle availability.

Here is the information on the Ft Lauderdale Airport location. :rolleyes:

Why do you give us the rolly-eyes smiley face? I mentioned that I know from experience that this info is not correct. Please believe me. Plus DanJ is an excellent source of information on these boards.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I just got off the phone with budget at the fort lauderdale airport and was advised that they have not provided shuttle service to port everglades for two years.:eek: The budget from the Quay Plaza now provides the shuttle service close to the pier.

• 1 month later...

This thread started years ago and is currently a month out of date. But the key question still remains - which rental agencies participate in the free shuttle from the cruiseport to the airport?

I just booked a rental through Avis when I arrive back in Port Everglades from my cruise. Pickup is at the airport, not offsite. Will we be able to use the free shuttle to go get the car? I can't find any clear definitive answer from Avis about this.

Another question: should we all take the shuttle from the port to the airport together? Or should I send DH to get the car then meet me back at the Port? It will be our first time there so prefer to do whatever is easiest, particularly from a driving perspective as we will be unfamiliar with the roads. I won't be in a hurry to get off the ship and expect to get off aroun 9, hopefully when the rush is over.

Thanks!

For those of you coming and going at port Everglades, have you seen a budget rental car van? Any other companies that you have noticed? Thanks for any updates on which companies still provide this service.

Yes there is a Budget location near the port and they will bring you to the ship when you bring back the car and pick you up at the end of the cruise if you have a reservation:):)

This thread started years ago and is currently a month out of date. But the key question still remains - which rental agencies participate in the free shuttle from the cruiseport to the airport?

I just booked a rental through Avis when I arrive back in Port Everglades from my cruise. Pickup is at the airport, not offsite. Will we be able to use the free shuttle to go get the car? I can't find any clear definitive answer from Avis about this.

Another question: should we all take the shuttle from the port to the airport together? Or should I send DH to get the car then meet me back at the Port? It will be our first time there so prefer to do whatever is easiest, particularly from a driving perspective as we will be unfamiliar with the roads. I won't be in a hurry to get off the ship and expect to get off aroun 9, hopefully when the rush is over.

Thanks!

The thread only started 4 months ago, not years ago, and there are many, many threads about car rentals in Ft Lauderdale. There is no debate about the free shuttle to the airport. It is operated by National and Alamo only, and it's electronic sign says those companies only. Not to say no one else has ever managed to get on it, or tipped their way on. I'm not sure if the Avis location at the Pier 66 Hyatt has a free shuttle or not, or if you priced cars out from there, but that might be something to look at. Car selection is likely better at the airport though.

I would think it would be best that you both go to the rental center together. If unfamiliarity of the area for driving is a concern, no sense adding to any confusion by having him try to find you back in the port. You'll likely find taking a cab is the best bet anyway ($15 or so with tip), so you don't really save anything by you sitting on the curb waiting for him to come back.

Just off our cruise on 5 February and here is our experience...

Cleared custom and arrived in the rental car pickup location at approx 9:30 to find others had been waiting for the Budget shuttle for 45 minutes. What is important to note here is there are 6 or so other cruise ships in port all with passengers waiting for a rental shuttle. As in my previous post we chose Budget and they no longer provide a shuttle to the airport only Quay plaza which is within easy walking distance.

My DH decided that we could be waiting a while so he left the 5 of us with all the bags and walked and returned with the van within about 1/2 hour. Just as he pulled up the shuttle arrived fully loaded and there wasn't room for our group anyway. This was a good plan.... Others in the group also left in a taxi to get their rental.

During our wait we did notice Avis, Thrifty picking up passengers.

In future for our group we'll always pay the extra for a taxi and avoid the disappointment of not getting on the shuttle or just walk like he did. We had a similar experience pre cruise as it took over 1 hour to get to our pier after we dropped our rental. The shuttle was full and we got to tour all of the other piers before they dropped us off at Princess.

This also happens with any of the hotel shuttles as well. On a another side note always keep one eye on your bags when the shuttle stops at each pier as sometimes the drivers just off load bags that should stay on until the next pier and you never know which ship your bags headed out on.

Hope this helps. Good luck.;)

I'm not sure if the Avis location at the Pier 66 Hyatt has a free shuttle or not, or if you priced cars out from there, but that might be something to look at. Car selection is likely better at the airport though.

This location is good for drop off, they have free shuttle. I priced a car for pick up there and it was more than picking up at the airport!

Archived