Back on the CC boards

Travelbug 2

It has been so long since I have posted but I am now back. My dear wife passed away in June this year and up until then I was her total caregiver so cruises were out of the question.

Next year I am planning to take some family members (first time cruisers) on an Alaska cruise from Vancouver BC (my home port) and we are looking at a 7 day inside passage on the Volendam in early August. Have any recent cruisers on Volendam any comments, it is so long since I have been able to cruise I am rather out of touch with HAL refits and upgrades ect.

It is good to be back, these boards are a wonderful source of information. I am pleased to see many familiar names on the HAL board. :)

Welcome back to cruising, and to the HAL board! My sympathies on your loss. Looking forward to a cruise can be something good on the coming long winter days.

It's been a while, but I did the Volendam Alaska cruise in '06. (Has it been that long already? :eek:). This is a great ship for this itinerary. It's a good size, with all the amenities you will want. Because it sails on Wednesday, you have less competition at Canada Place, and in the ports. Early August is as good a time as any, and better than some.

Set those plans in action, and have a great time with your family.

It has been so long since I have posted but I am now back. My dear wife passed away in June this year and up until then I was her total caregiver so cruises were out of the question.

Next year I am planning to take some family members (first time cruisers) on an Alaska cruise from Vancouver BC (my home port) and we are looking at a 7 day inside passage on the Volendam in early August. Have any recent cruisers on Volendam any comments, it is so long since I have been able to cruise I am rather out of touch with HAL refits and upgrades ect.

It is good to be back, these boards are a wonderful source of information. I am pleased to see many familiar names on the HAL board. :)

I was doing some research on the HAL boards for an upcoming Asia cruise and somehow came across your post. We have cruised many times but evidently our paths have not crossed. My heart went out to you when I read your post so I hope you do not mind me saying that you have my sympathy on your dear wife's passing. I am glad that you have family to share future memories with and I know that you will love Alaska, it is simply beautiful. It takes a special kind of person to be the sole caregiver, but I am sure your wife knows that. I wish you safe travels.

The Volendam is a great choice - fabulous ship, (the perfect size) equally fabulous crew. And the midweek departure is a bonus as it's less busy leaving Vancouver and in the ports.

Condolences on your loss, and I am sure you and your family will have a wonderful time. I bet your wife would approve:)

Welcome back Travelbug 2 - and please accept my condolences on the loss of your dear wife. It is nice that you have a cruise on the horizon as something to look forward to with family members. It can be a real tonic.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Sympathies for your loss. Our first Hal cruise was on the MS Volendam in 2007. Hooked us and we will have our tenth straight Hal cruise in a row this coming January.

Sure you would like a more up to date hands on experience but just wanted you to know we would relish being on any Hal ship.

Chances are if you enjoyed it before you will enjoy it again.

Welcome Back, Travelbug.

Very sorry to hear of your loss.

But good to hear you are considering a cruise with your family. Should be wonderful.

Now that you've found your way back to us, come often. :)

Welcome back Travelbug2. My sympathy on your recent loss. It is great you've chosen a cruise to get back in the swing of things. Good luck.

My sympathy for your loss also. I know you will enjoy the cruise you are planning.

I haven't seen posts from kakalina for quite a while either. Good to see you again, too!

Thanks to all for your kind comments, it is good to be back and to be planning a cruise again. :)

I will be seeing my TA this week to finalise the details for our "Volandam" Alaska inside passage cruise in 2012. Has anyone been to Alaska in Aug' ? Just wondering about weather and what to expect. I am taking 3 family members, all first time cruisers, and I know they will just love sailing with Holland America. :)

My sympathies as well, Travelbug2. I've cared for a Mom who's now is in a residential facility - there's a huge hole where caregiving used to fit.

It seems it's impossible in Alaska to compare one August with another year's August. My 2009 August had record breaking high temperatures - maybe you remember melting that summer, before the Olympics?

So, when I tell you my August was "hot, dry, 20-27C/68 - 80F", know that yours can be "cold, wet, 10-18C/50-65F".

Layers. Pack in layers, with the top one waterproof. If your first port is Ketchikan, there are cheap souvenir rain hoodies in the 3 Tongass Trading Company stores - $25, IIRC.

I was in Alaska for a 2-week cruise in August of '10. We had days that were hot and sunny (Skagway; Glacier Bay), to cool and wet (Homer; Anchorage). Guess there were a few inbetween, too.

In other words, it's a crapshoot, and will vary from year to year, week to week, and even day to day.

You've already been given good advice about what to bring to cover the bases. I don't need to repeat it, just endorse it. ;)

Has anyone been to Alaska in Aug'? Just wondering about weather and what to expect.

Welcome back to the cc boards Travelbug2 - I am sorry for your loss.

I also sailed to Alaska in August '09. Our week was cold, cool and warm. It rained in Ketchikan and was cold. It was cool in Juneau. Had a warmer day in Skagway. So it seems, the weather varies a lot, even in different weeks in the same month. We did need hoodies and umbrellas. I sailed with a family group also, and we had a fabulous time.

Archived